HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

What would you do if you were Marketing Director for the NHL?

Old
12-14-2010, 05:04 PM
WickedWrister

vCash: 500
Honestly? Stay the course.

The casual fan could care less about great teams. I'm not really a basketball fan, but I would be more likely to tune into a game between the Miama Heat and the Los Angeles Lakers. Why? Because Lebron, Kobe, and DWade are superstars, and I want to see amazing individual play.

The ratings have been up every year since the lockout, so whatever the NHL is doing is working. The diehard fans may get sick of the Sid-Ovi attention, but it works.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 05:22 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Anti-fighting activism is what causes fighting to become more and more staged -- the bench clearing ban, the instigator rule, the third-man-in rule, the visor rule, and so on into the future. The more influence anti-fighting people have, the more useless and boring the fights have become.
Ahh. I guess I just didn't think of any anti-fighting activism existing other than a minority of people within hockey who think that fighting is holding the league/sport back. I agree with your overall sentiment though; the instigator rule and subsequent staged fights make it hard for seasoned fans, let alone potential new fans, to correlate dirty play on the ice with two dudes plowing each other's faces right off a faceoff.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 05:29 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

I don't think some of you know what a marketing director does.

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Drunkspleen
Face of the company

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedWrister View Post
Honestly? Stay the course.

The casual fan could care less about great teams. I'm not really a basketball fan, but I would be more likely to tune into a game between the Miama Heat and the Los Angeles Lakers. Why? Because Lebron, Kobe, and DWade are superstars, and I want to see amazing individual play.

The ratings have been up every year since the lockout, so whatever the NHL is doing is working. The diehard fans may get sick of the Sid-Ovi attention, but it works.
That's because it works in basketball where your superstars are playing most of every quarter and can make an amazing move followed by a drive to the net or getting in the paint to score themselves. You are guaranteed that on any given night you will see them do something the casual fan can appreciate like an amazing bucket because they are constantly scoring.

Even a human highlight-reel such as Crosby isn't necessarily going to provide that, I've no doubt he does amazing things every game, but alot are more subtle, no casual fan is going to go "wow look at that amazing boardplay".

Drunkspleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 05:40 PM
NIDAS*

more crosby of course

NIDAS* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 12:58 PM
topcheese1984*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Frasier Crane View Post
Have Ovechkin, Crosby, and Jeremy Roenick appear on the "Price is Right" on Monday to promote the WC and give away a free trip to the game?

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...html?eref=sihp

When I first heard that, I thought it was a good idea. But then realized that they're meerly presenting the prize. So it's a bit a free advertising, but other than that, who cares? How about the NHL lets them show a little personality and included then in a game somehow. But yet again, that would take a bit of creative thought, so that's out

topcheese1984* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 01:06 PM

The NHL needs to get ESPN to take it seriously and have interest (aka money) invested in the league.

Give people a reason to at least think about watching. Versus doesn't get the job done.

Do something to get some personality.. market more than Sid and Ovechkin. There are some really bright, young players out there I think the league could benefit from marketing. Pit these players against each other and get them on TV.

An outdoor game not on one of the biggest college football days of the year might be a good idea, too..

3074326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:09 PM
YogiCanucks

vCash: 50
Probably try to focus in the on the Director of Advertising considering I find demographic studies and Marketing report boring.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:30 PM
MoreOrr
B4

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames4life View Post
I agree with the idea of marketing entire teams, not just individual players (OV and Sid). Work with the personalities of teams.
For one, I agree with this. Fans around the League shouldn't just be having a few individual star players promoted to them, but rather whole team 'identities'. Promote an imagine for each team, and that's the image that's coming to your city soon, reserve your seat.

MoreOrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:57 PM
JETZZZ

lol...I think its about time another silly hockey movie is made to help promote the game and get others interested. Remember Youngblood? Where hockey fights were more important than scoring goals and hockey sticks were used as swords? Or how about the mighty ducks? The love guru? that one had humping elephants in the Stanly Cup finals...now that I think of it, has Hollywood ever made a decent hockey movie?

JETZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 10:36 PM
Still All In
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Heroes vs. Villains is the way to go. The NHL has a lot of ground to make up in the American middle class, and the fastest way to get there is to create storylines that casual fans can follow.
In all seriousness, this.

Totally for fun - waffle night three times a week.

Still All In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Bengui

I would try to get HBO to make a reality show about the teams in the winter classic. It would probably be epic.

Bengui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:07 PM
PacManNJD
Legend

I'd promote the Devils and pimp the **** outta Parise and Kovalchuk.

[Annnnnnnnnnnnd I just got fired.]

"Look at this team to get out there in Jersey! Yeah, that's right - The team that plays in Newark, New Jersey has more Stanley Cups than half of the Canadian franchises. lulz."

PacManNJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Montag DP
Sabres fan in...

vCash: 50
Hire more ice girls.

Montag DP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 11:22 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

If I were marketing director I would stare at charts all day and be miserable.

If I were an advertising director in the NHL, though, I would tone down all the SRS BSNS GRAETEST GAEM EVAR!! ads and think: party. Atmosphere changes a lot. There's nothing like game 7 in a sold out arena where everyone is screaming to the high heavens. It's a great time, it's hella fun. Half the fun of any sporting event is, you know, having fun.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:42 AM
the_speedster

three words; Kim Kardashian... sex tape... oh wait.. that's four.. oh well whatever!

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:02 AM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 870
Let Guy Ritchie direct a commercial.

Swedish Puck Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 09:51 AM
topcheese1984*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMISSTHEJETS View Post
lol...I think its about time another silly hockey movie is made to help promote the game and get others interested. Remember Youngblood? Where hockey fights were more important than scoring goals and hockey sticks were used as swords? Or how about the mighty ducks? The love guru? that one had humping elephants in the Stanly Cup finals...now that I think of it, has Hollywood ever made a decent hockey movie?
Get Gordon Bombay and the crew back for a D4:Mighty Ducks. Have him cheat on Ms. Mckay with Connie Moreau. Guaranteed Oscar

http://www.askactor.com/actress/Marg...eau/galleries/

topcheese1984* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:54 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

1) Get back on ESPN and Fox.

2) Fire everybody at the NHL Network and move their studios to NYC. Then have the new staff watch the NFL Network and MLB Network 24/7 for 3 weeks straight for insight.

3) Steal young marketing brains and ad execs from the NFL and NBA and overpay them.

4) Enough of Crosby and Ovechkin. It's lame, lame, lame. Focus elsewhere, like hockey's global community, the tougness of its players and on the history of the sport, and how hockey doesnt need to be cliche. The History Will Be Made promos were exceptional.

4) Get Don Cherry more airtime in America. Get him on ESPN. Get him on Network TV. Real american sports fans are going away from Political Correctness and want old school humor and commentary again. The American sports community needs a guy like Cherry so bad, it's not even funny.

5) Schedule lots of games and advertise the NHL in major american cities where there is no basketball, or a major pro sports presence. Seattle is a rabid sports town. So is Oklahoma City. So is Kansas City. So is Portland.

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:01 PM
Fleuryoutside29

The NHL needs to come up with another campaign like they did last year. The history will be made commercials leading up to and during the playoffs were some of the best commercials I've ever seen. If they can come up with something like that this year I think they'll be fine.

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:17 PM
Markovskaya

1) Get NHL back on ESPN
2) Focus marketing efforts the american teams with large fan base
3) Large fan bases get bigger and bigger, more people watch hockey on TV in traditional markets
4)NHL gets the attention from small fan base markets such as Antlanta, Pheonix and so on
5) Sponsor at least one big budget hockey movie with a very, very Pro american PoV.
6 Creat a new sport trend
7) ????
8) Profit

6.1) get more african america players in the league, sponsor them somehow so there can be more of them.

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:20 PM
gifted88
Dante the poet

I'd sell my product even further south, run some mexican commercials.

gifted88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Bubba Thudd
Infer-Action!!!

vCash: 7757
Commercials should show players scoring, and fans celebrating and having FUN!

These commercials should run during football games, NASCAR, bball, etc -- not just during hockey games...and not just on the channels that already host hockey games.

Commercials should also be area-specific. I would love to see ads with stars from MY team, not just Ovechkin and Crosby.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Markovskaya

My idea of a successfull commercial:

Markovskaya is offline   Reply With Quote