HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predators Reassign Steve Begin

Old
12-16-2010, 11:47 AM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Predators Reassign Steve Begin

Quote from press release:

Quote:
NASHVILLE PREDATORS RECALL FORWARD STEVE BEGIN

Nashville, Tenn. (December 16, 2010) – Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has recalled forward Steve Begin from Milwaukee (AHL).

Begin, 32 (6/14/78), signed with Nashville on Oct. 21, and has posted four points (3g-1a) in 21 games for the Admirals this season. The Trois-Rivieres, Que., native has played 486 career NHL games since 1997-98, posting 100 points (52g-48a) and 535 penalty minutes. He spent the 2009-10 season with the Boston Bruins, posting 14 points (5g-9a) and 53 penalty minutes while playing a career-high 77 games.

The 6-0, 192-pound center was a teammate of Predators forward J-P Dumont for three seasons (1996-98) with the QMJHL’s Val d’Or Foreurs, notching 117 points (44g-73a) and 520 penalty minutes in 157 games. The duo, along with Vancouver goalie Roberto Luongo, helped Val d’Or win the 1998 President’s Trophy as QMJHL champions.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:52 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
*sigh*

so we replace our best scorer with a gritty defensively minded forward....

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:55 AM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Well, Steve Begin is the other established NHL veteran that was down in Milwaukee, but I was really hoping he wasn't the recall. Begin is a fourth line, agitating, penalty killing forward.

Our top-six better keep scoring, because the bottom six is now virtually devoid of offensive skill outside of Dumont...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:59 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Doesnt have to pass through waivers?

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:06 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Doesnt have to pass through waivers?
Due to his $105k AHL salary, Begin does not have to clear recall waivers.

Old
12-16-2010, 01:04 PM
glenngineer

Franson also out for Friday night. Attending his grandfather's funeral in BC. Guess Sulzer is in Friday night against NJ.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:23 PM
WartracePred

Sorry SLake. Why doesn't Trotz just play 12 defenseman, 6 forwards, and hope we get to a shoot out. Begin, Smithson, Spaling, Ward, and Tootoo. Now that is a scoring machine. The Predators Way -- gotta love it.

WartracePred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Franson also out for Friday night. Attending his grandfather's funeral in BC. Guess Sulzer is in Friday night against NJ.
Will miss both Friday and Saturday.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 02:11 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Here's how I see this.

Hornqvist is replaced by Dumont. Dumont get's top 2 line goal scoring and Begin replaces Dumont on the lower lines. The defense improves while Dumont gets a chance to get top minute playing time.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 02:14 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
hadnt thought of it that way BFC but you are almost certainly correct.

maybe this will be JPs chance to get out of the doghouse...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 02:28 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Here's how I see this.

Hornqvist is replaced by Dumont. Dumont get's top 2 line goal scoring and Begin replaces Dumont on the lower lines. The defense improves while Dumont gets a chance to get top minute playing time.
Problem is Hornqvist and Dumont have been playing on the same line with Spaling so if Begin is here to replace Hornqvist, someone will need to switch lines to accommodate your thinking.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 02:34 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Well, here's hoping we can win a bunch of 1-0 games while Hornqvist is out.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 02:36 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
hadnt thought of it that way BFC but you are almost certainly correct.

maybe this will be JPs chance to get out of the doghouse...
Now Seth pointed out to me that the top 2 lines are set with SUlly-O'Reilly-Wilson, Erat-Goc-SK, but you have to have that one extra guy to help the others suck wind. With Hornqvist's goals before it would have been him but Dumont would fit the bill better.

The Dumont line was Hornqvist-Spaling-Dumont. But in my mind it could be:

Sully-O'Reilly-Wilson
Erat-Goc-SK
Dumont-Spaling-Tootoo
Ward-Smithson-Begin

Not exactly thrilling but you can see two offensive lines and two defensive lines.

Old
12-16-2010, 02:43 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenngineer View Post
Problem is Hornqvist and Dumont have been playing on the same line with Spaling so if Begin is here to replace Hornqvist, someone will need to switch lines to accommodate your thinking.
To me lines are fluid anyway just because of Trotz. It's a matter of getting the best players at that time the minutes. In the Sharks game Dumont got 12:32 minutes might jump up to 14-15.

The third line is a mismosh of spare parts. The 4th line should look like Ward-Smithson-Begin but that is just a guess.

Old
12-16-2010, 03:04 PM
David Singleton
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Well, here's hoping we can win a bunch of 1-0 games while Hornqvist is out.
Hornqvist has not been a huge contributor on the scoresheet in EV situations (and one can't count on the Predators PP at this point). The line of Dumont-Spaling-Hornqvist really hasn't clicked that well.

The sad reality is that, outside of a moribund power play, both Hornqvist and Dumont have diminished roles right now as that line doesn't really work. It's amazing that the team's 30 goal scorer from last season has dropped to the fourth most effective line almost through no fault of his own, but that's what happened.

If the Erat-Goc-Kostitsyn line ever needs a shake-up, Hornqvist would work very well on a line with Goc and Kostitsyn. If Legwand comes back to center Dumont and Hornqvist, that line might click very well too. The key for Hornqvist is to find him a line that plays a puck possession style and puts shots on net (like Goc and Kostitsyn). He misses Jason Arnott the most.

David Singleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 03:07 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Any word on Legwand?

Old
12-16-2010, 04:26 PM
token grinder

leggy is going to try and skate later in the week the online rag said.

and just because we called begin up doesn't mean horn is def out.

horn did take the morning skate, and i would guess he would again and see if his "upper body" can take it. prob best to take begin just in case the weather is awful and they need the body

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 04:34 PM
PredsChik

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
leggy is going to try and skate later in the week the online rag said.

and just because we called begin up doesn't mean horn is def out.

horn did take the morning skate, and i would guess he would again and see if his "upper body" can take it. prob best to take begin just in case the weather is awful and they need the body
Good to hear, a group of Canadian business looking men were sitting in front of us and were talking as if they knew the players (we were in 108), and one of them said "concussion" to which I had a freak out moment. He wouldn't have skated if that had been the case.

They made a good point though, on the SOB in flight goal, he took a hard beating as he scored the goal. I guess something happened then.

PredsChik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 04:45 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

According to Cooper .... Hornqvist isn't making the trip to NJ.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 05:32 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsChik20 View Post
Good to hear, a group of Canadian business looking men were sitting in front of us and were talking as if they knew the players (we were in 108), and one of them said "concussion" to which I had a freak out moment. He wouldn't have skated if that had been the case.

They made a good point though, on the SOB in flight goal, he took a hard beating as he scored the goal. I guess something happened then.
I believe the "in house" or family and friends tickets are in 108.

The word was that as the AM skate went on it was clear that Hornqvist wouldn't be able to play. If he does have a concussion and it was undiagnosed to that point, symptoms could have become evident as his heart rate was elevated and he was moving around the rink skating...

Old
12-16-2010, 05:44 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Sweet, I've been waiting to see what he can still do.

And people seem to be confused. Begin is replacing Belak...

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 05:50 PM
Seth Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
Sweet, I've been waiting to see what he can still do.

And people seem to be confused. Begin is replacing Belak...
In what sense?

Belak was only in the lineup due to the late discovery of Hornqvist's injury. Belak is still on the roster and healthy. If we're having Begin replace Belak then I don't really know why we would be recalling someone to play 1:25 per game.

Begin is being recalled to fill the void left by Hornqvist's injury. By recalling Begin and not recalling Lundmark or signing Mueller to a contract and recalling him, the Predators are making our bottom six a "traditional" bottom six, whereas we have had a shutdown line and a third scoring line making up our bottom six to this point of the year.

Old
12-16-2010, 07:08 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
In what sense?

Belak was only in the lineup due to the late discovery of Hornqvist's injury. Belak is still on the roster and healthy. If we're having Begin replace Belak then I don't really know why we would be recalling someone to play 1:25 per game.

Begin is being recalled to fill the void left by Hornqvist's injury. By recalling Begin and not recalling Lundmark or signing Mueller to a contract and recalling him, the Predators are making our bottom six a "traditional" bottom six, whereas we have had a shutdown line and a third scoring line making up our bottom six to this point of the year.
I'm having a hard time understanding your post. Are you saying Belak and Begin will both be in the lineup tomorrow?

Ward/Tootoo have replaced Horns, Begin replacing the spot from Ward/Tootoo... We recalled Begin so we can bench Belak where he belongs...

I'm not expecting Begin to play much more than 5 minutes either. About the same that Belak normally plays

Old
12-16-2010, 07:34 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Android View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding your post. Are you saying Belak and Begin will both be in the lineup tomorrow?

Ward/Tootoo have replaced Horns, Begin replacing the spot from Ward/Tootoo... We recalled Begin so we can bench Belak where he belongs...

I'm not expecting Begin to play much more than 5 minutes either. About the same that Belak normally plays
Belak isn't getting 3:30 a game this season. Begin should be able to play real 4th line minutes as well as some PK time. Belak does neither of those. Begin can also win a few faceoffs and play responsible defense as a forward.

Belak is only on the roster for those few occasions where the team needs a true heavyweight fighter.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Belak isn't getting 3:30 a game this season. Begin should be able to play real 4th line minutes as well as some PK time. Belak does neither of those. Begin can also win a few faceoffs and play responsible defense as a forward.

Belak is only on the roster for those few occasions where the team needs a true heavyweight fighter.
And Hornqvist doesn't do any of those things either...

Like I said, we called up Begin so we can bench Belak. Now if Trotz decides to play Begin on a scoring line then I am wrong and I will give Trotz a big facepalm