HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GM of the year? or Stanley Cup or Bust

Old
12-16-2010, 02:32 PM
jb**

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
Mason was the guy that I wanted to go with Leighton. But are we sure Bob wasn't supposed to be in the NHL? Is it possible Homer thought he was ready and thats why he didn't go out and overspend? I mean if he had said before the season started that we were going with bob everyone would have thrown fits. The Leighton injury was unplanned but I believe Homer had planned for Bob to get a shot this season.
Even if that was the case why on earth would you take a team just off a cup appearance, made some improvements then hand it off to a rookie goalie when all the other pieces are in place. The bottom line is the flyers donít place value in the goalie position. They likely never will under this regime.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 02:44 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Even if that was the case why on earth would you take a team just off a cup appearance, made some improvements then hand it off to a rookie goalie when all the other pieces are in place. The bottom line is the flyers donít place value in the goalie position. They likely never will under this regime.
The previous regime did it that way. This one has hired a goalie coach (Reese) a Goalie Specific Scouting Director (Little) and drafted two very talented goalies. It has only been three years under this regime and already we are seeing results.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 02:52 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
I was just saying, I think Homer thought Bob was a better option than the rest of the FA market which is why he didn't overspend on other guys. Everyone was upset about him low balling the other goalies and it turned out he might have been right. Again not saying Bob was planned on being the starter but I think it was planned he would get playing time to prove his worth in the case of either boucher or leighton failed. but basically my point was Homer thought Leighton/Boucher/Bob were better options than overspending on a FA goalie and costing them depth.

DrHamburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 02:53 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
The previous regime did it that way. This one has hired a goalie coach (Reese) a Goalie Specific Scouting Director (Little) and drafted two very talented goalies. It has only been three years under this regime and already we are seeing results.
are you of the opinion that we did not have a goalie coach before?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 02:54 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Mason has played in 267 NHL games, and played in 40, 51, 57, and 61 games prior to this year.
How many playoff games - Leighton already has more? Also, you are very clear that Leighton is a career backup - correct? Well, Mason took 12 years before he played more than 20 games in the NHL. Leighton took less time and is now posting better numbers, so again....

Old
12-16-2010, 02:55 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
are you of the opinion that we did not have a goalie coach before?
Of course not. He was saying this regime does not value goalies. In 3 short years we have improved our goalie depth, our goalie coaching and our goalie scouting. Agreed?

Old
12-16-2010, 03:06 PM
jb**

Quote:
shooter is a clarke pupil. if he had different views or a differnt thought process onthe value of a goalie well he has sure fooled me. they had a goalie coach before, who got a bad rap (not saying he was great). Reese has done ok. You mean Little who didnt know who the monster was then said they liked backlun better that guy? so far they look like they did good with the rushkie, however after 20 odd games not ready to call him a great goalie yet by any means. What results are you seeing? which 2 very talented goalies did the draft?

Old
12-16-2010, 03:08 PM
jb**

Quote:
Of course not. He was saying this regime does not value goalies. In 3 short years we have improved our goalie depth, our goalie coaching and our goalie scouting. Agreed?
not hard to imprve depth that wasnt there to begin with. it is debatable they imporved their goalie coach htough wont argue. Well they never had a per say goalie onyl scout before so yeah for now.

Old
12-16-2010, 03:08 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
How many playoff games - Leighton already has more? Also, you are very clear that Leighton is a career backup - correct? Well, Mason took 12 years before he played more than 20 games in the NHL. Leighton took less time and is now posting better numbers, so again....
right now Leighton is a "healthy" scratch

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 03:14 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
right now Leighton is a "healthy" scratch
We both know how we got here. We hid an injury and is just returning to the team after the rookie goalie looks like Lindbergh and the backup is playing extremely well. I agree he should be the odd man out at this point. The old adage "can you lose your job from an injury"......yes, yes you can.

Old
12-16-2010, 03:17 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
not hard to imprve depth that wasnt there to begin with. it is debatable they imporved their goalie coach htough wont argue. Well they never had a per say goalie onyl scout before so yeah for now.
I do see more emphasis on the goalie position then in the past. We will see when Bob is up how much they value goalies. I do see your point though. In fact, I do think this regime still believes you can win while spending little in net. That isn't a philosophy I disagree with by the way. Works in Detroit. That is the only way we have the forward depth, you can't have it all.

Old
12-16-2010, 03:25 PM
HoverCarle*

Quote:
We both know how we got here. We hid an injury and is just returning to the team after the rookie goalie looks like Lindbergh and the backup is playing extremely well. I agree he should be the odd man out at this point. The old adage "can you lose your job from an injury"......yes, yes you can.
I just mean you said that Leighton is "now" putting up better numbers than Mason, but really he isnt putting up any numbers.

Old
12-16-2010, 03:30 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I just mean you said that Leighton is "now" putting up better numbers than Mason, but really he isnt putting up any numbers.
Fair enough. I will give you that much. Right "now" Mason is putting up better numbers!

Old
12-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
Well, playoff games are meaningless here... as playoff games are hockey games, just as regular season games are. If you're a good regular season player, then you'll be a good playoff player given large enough samples.

Additionally, playoff stats (particularly for goalies) can be incredibly deceptive. For example, Leighton padded his stats against two very weak offensive clubs before getting undressed and gutted on national TV in the SCF by a good offense.

However, to suggest that there is a direct comparison between the body of work of Mason and Leighton is ludicrous... and further evidence that you skew empirical data to support your homerism.

Quote:
I don't know. We have two career backups, and a undrafted rookie. Our goalie coach oversaw teams in TB that received the worst goaltending in the league throughout his tenure there after Khabi left. And who the F knows if Little is any good at scouting.

Old
12-16-2010, 04:07 PM
HoverCarle*

if we valued goalies we would have picked Markstrom instead of trading that pick for Eminger

Old
12-16-2010, 04:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
I don't get how obsessively whining about mistakes in the past and refusing to acknowledge that the vast majority of his decisions have been excellent means you are even a fan at all?
This isn't in the past. This is current. This is THIS season. The fact that the GM actually believed going into the season with Boosh and Leighton as the goalie tandem with an injured Backlund as the callup would be a fantastic idea does NOT show excellent decision making. He has done great things, (which I have always acknowledged...but apparently I'm an obsessive whiner) but he is incredibly capable of being an enormous disaster...the only thing that prevented that backup duo from trying to sort out a starting role was incredible luck.

You act like his mistakes happened long ago, and are no longer a problem(all in the past, right?). Shelley is still on the team, messing up the cap and ruining the 4th line, Walker is still a huge cap liability, and Leighton is still on the team, messing with the cap while remaining a career backup, and a bad one at that...and now one who has already suffered two injuries in his first taste of a starter's load.

I'm sorry I care enough about this team that when I see the management making such idiotic moves, it concerns me. Apparently being concerned about potentially bad things happening to the team I love is a bad thing.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:03 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Everyone throwing a fit about Turco's struggles... guy has been somewhat unstable in his production for some time now. It was a known factor. Crawford is playing well, and he's getting the spot as of now.
yep, Turco is playing like he did in Dallas. he could wow you for a stretch, then turn on the suck for a stretch as well. Of course the last couple of years in Dallas their D has been nothing special. Now in Chicago hes playing behind a D that isnt nowhere near last year and you have Duncan Keith who has fallen off the level he was at last year whether he deserved the Norris or not.
I admit I wanted Turco here in Philly. I think he could of been good enough here. He would of been a upgrade to Leighton and/or Boucher. That is of course before Bobrovsky arrived and played like he has this year.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 10:02 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yep, Turco is playing like he did in Dallas. he could wow you for a stretch, then turn on the suck for a stretch as well. Of course the last couple of years in Dallas their D has been nothing special. Now in Chicago hes playing behind a D that isnt nowhere near last year and you have Duncan Keith who has fallen off the level he was at last year whether he deserved the Norris or not.
I admit I wanted Turco here in Philly. I think he could of been good enough here. He would of been a upgrade to Leighton and/or Boucher. That is of course before Bobrovsky arrived and played like he has this year.
I did too... but that's purely because I don't think Leighton is anything special. Turco can be an enigmatic goalie, but when he turns it on he can carry a team on his own. All I wanted with him was a couple year deal (for cheap) and see what happens with Bob.