HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers @ Penguins

Old
12-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Ail
k.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
From the WSJ on Boyle's work with Barbara Underhill:

In mid-June of this year, Brian Boyle, a 25-year-old center who was in the midst of a battle to stay in the NHL, took one simple stride down the ice during offseason training in Toronto. Barbara Underhill, a former Olympic figure skater who was just a few minutes into her new role as Mr. Boyle's skating coach, immediately stopped him and began to diagnose his problems.

He had bad posture. His shoulders were shrugged. His upper body was too tense. His arms flailed too wildly. He wasn't using his core. His hips weren't flexible. His legs went too high in the air, and he wasn't using his gluteus maximus efficiently enough.

Aside from that, everything was fine.

Mr. Boyle, a former first- round pick who had spent his career as 6-feet-7 inches of unrealized potential, saved his career this year through an unlikely path, the mentoring of Ms. Underhill, a figure skater who represented Canada in the 1980 and 1984 Winter Olympics.

With his new and improved skating ability, Mr. Boyle has been one of the early stars of the Rangers' season. He went from what Rangers coach John Tortorella admits was an outside shot at a roster spot to becoming the team's second-best goal scorer. He'd tallied eight goals heading into Friday's game against the Colorado Avalanche, this despite limited ice time and low expectations.

The rest of it is here: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...051115476.html

Brings a tear to my eye.

rip
Ail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:35 PM
Musto

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend View Post

Brings a tear to my eye.
Kind of like that movie . . . what's it called?

Musto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:56 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musto View Post
Kind of like that movie . . . what's it called?

Being a bit of a cynic myself, I can see why people would think the excitement over Boyle a bit cheesy.

But Boyle's improvement has been truly dramatic. It's not just the skating, it's the total package of play he keeps bringing to the ice.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:57 PM
bmw2004

Is there any reason that Torts refuses to call up MZA?

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:00 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I'm not certain that its 100% Tort's call.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:11 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I'm not certain that its 100% Tort's call.
I'm pretty sure you're right. I don't think he actually picks.

I remember when he was asked last year why they had called up Byers he said he told Gernander/Schoenfeld "just send me your best forward" or something to that effect and that's who they chose.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:49 PM
Black Tank

Great job last time by Dubinsky, Callahan and Lundquist outing Crosby and Malkin for the dirty plays. The refs had no choice but to waive off that goal and the Pens were limited to one slewfoot, Cooke on Stepan and the refs had no choice but to call it.

On a more serious note, after two consecutive losses, Penguins ownership has begun talks with the League about the number of first round picks the Penguins will be granted to maintain the franchise in Pittsburgh. According to team sources, the number of Penguins fans has fallen by over 97% after losing two games in a row and the team will need the first round picks grant sooner than scheduled.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:53 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
Great job last time by Dubinsky, Callahan and Lundquist outing Crosby and Malkin for the dirty plays. The refs had no choice but to waive off that goal and the Pens were limited to one slewfoot, Cooke on Stepan and the refs had no choice but to call it.

On a more serious note, after two consecutive losses, Penguins ownership has begun talks with the League about the number of first round picks the Penguins will be granted to maintain the franchise in Pittsburgh. According to team sources, the number of Penguins fans has fallen by over 97% after losing two games in a row and the team will need the first round picks grant sooner than scheduled.
I hardly think that those three complaining had anything to do with the waived off second Pens goal.

12-16-2010, 02:01 PM
Black Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
I hardly think that those three complaining had anything to do with the waived off second Pens goal.
Believe it or not, I really think it did. The refs are only human and the last few times the Rangers pointed out the favorable officiating for the Pens without embarassing the refs ala the "donut" incident. I think they simply did not want that controversy last night and may not have been so sensitive had the Rangers not made the officiating a point of discussion. Sorry for the rambling post, I'm actually watching the Caps game in a side window while typing.

Black Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 02:41 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersey Girl View Post
3. I love Staal and Girardi is playing better too, but Micheletti calling them possibly the best shut down pair of defensemen in the leauge=
not sure what part of that warrants a facepalm since its true...crosby has scored 20 goals in his last 20-21 games and staal/girardi held him to ZERO shots on goals. they didn't just contain him, they completely eliminated him. they are beast in the defensive zone...

you'd be hard pressed to come up with a list of 5 pairs playing better than them defensively right now IMO

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
not sure what part of that warrants a facepalm since its true...crosby has scored 20 goals in his last 20-21 games and staal/girardi held him to ZERO shots on goals. they didn't just contain him, they completely eliminated him. they are beast in the defensive zone...

you'd be hard pressed to come up with a list of 5 pairs playing better than them defensively right now IMO
OK, so one game or even one stretch of games doesn't automatically make you the best. Playing well right now? You bet. Nobody else is better?

Pronger and anybody
Keith and Seabrook
Pronger and anybody
Weber and Suter
Lidstrom and anybody
Byfuglein and Enstrom

And there are more. This is a homer post.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 05:31 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
OK, so one game or even one stretch of games doesn't automatically make you the best. Playing well right now? You bet. Nobody else is better?

Pronger and anybody
Keith and Seabrook
Pronger and anybody
Weber and Suter
Lidstrom and anybody
Byfuglein and Enstrom

Keith and Seaborrk have been TERRIBLE this season. Go ask any Hawk fan. They will tell you.

Pronger-Carle or Mezsaros or whoever he is playing with is a very good pairing.

Lidstrom is always amazing

Weber-Suter is an amazing pairing

Buff-Enstrom is a solid pairing right now.

What about Erhoff-Bieksa? They have been playing very well.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 05:34 PM
Blue Blooded

Quote:

Pronger and anybody
Keith and Seabrook
Pronger and anybody
Weber and Suter
Lidstrom and anybody
Byfuglein and Enstrom

I haven't really followed Atlanta this year, so my opinion is worth squat. But while Buff and Toby are eons ahead offensively, I feel Staal and Girardi have the edge defensively.

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote