HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Paging Dr. Gabby...

Old
12-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Paging Dr. Gabby...

Where the hell is Gaborik? It's becoming a routine this season to ask if Gaborik has been playing.

Unacceptable!

12-16-2010, 10:24 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Relax..... all is well...he's just pacing himself

12-16-2010, 10:25 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I didnt want to mention this amongst the Gabby love last year, but...

The guy gets his goals in streaks, first and foremost, like many other players but...

They are very rarely clutch goals. Of his 42 goals last year, only 4 were game winners, and of 9 this year, only one is a game winner.

He is a dangerous player, no doubt, but not the kind of guy you can count on, especially in the playoffs.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:26 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

In the Pitts game Orpik really stood out as a great player. That guy was on Gabby every second... he did an outstanding job, even made a few saves for Johnson.

And every team gameplans gabby like that.... thank god the other lines are scoring

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:28 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I didnt want to mention this amongst the Gabby love last year, but...

The guy gets his goals in streaks, first and foremost, like many other players but...

They are very rarely clutch goals. Of his 42 goals last year, only 4 were game winners, and of 9 this year, only one is a game winner.

He is a dangerous player, no doubt, but not the kind of guy you can count on, especially in the playoffs.
He actually has pretty good post season stats... right?

Of course no ring but he was really good for Minny when he got a chance.

Its silly to pile on this guy right now....the team TEAM is playing great.

Do people really just need something to complain about....
?

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:28 PM
ChrisKreider20
But y u mad?

He is good player but he is anything but dominant. You hardly notice him out there

ChrisKreider20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:29 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Hell, i'm not complaining at all. Just trying to look at Gaborik objectively.

He is not a clutch scorer. But without him, our team is much worse off. No question about it.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:29 PM
beastly115

Le sigh.

Last year we complained about no secondary scoring.

This year we have secondary scoring and we're complaining of no primary scoring.

At least we're still winning games. Last season if Gabby didn't score, no one did.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:32 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Well Gaborik needs to step up and lead some of these comebacks because he's been nullified too many times this year... He looks impotent against the Penguins and I fear he won't fair much better against the Flyers..... Too many points at hand against these divisional rivals for him not to have some big games against them.

If our 2nd and 3rd liners can find ways to produce points, then he can do, even if he doesn't have a #1 Center to play with.... That didn't stop him last season.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:35 PM
TheRedressor

Biggest issue with Gaborik as of late is that he is not keeping his feet moving and doesn't appear to either have the speed at will when he wants to use it.

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:41 PM
OverTheCap

He's a great sniper, one of the best in the league, but he doesn't possess an all-around offensive game like some other elite forwards. One of the things that I've noticed about him lately is that he doesn't have a good puck possession game, so he is losing the puck and turning it over frequently. He could certainly benefit from having a skilled puck carrier on his line.

Tonight, it seemed like the effort may not have been there until the 3rd period. He was hanging out on the perimeter and shooting the puck from the halfboards instead of getting into the prime scoring areas.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:43 PM
bmw2004

Gabs will get better. No worries please. Wait till Prospal comes in for the rescue.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:44 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I love Gaborik. I'm a huge fan, he's been one of my favorite players in the league for a long time.

But he has been invisible at times. You cant have that from your best player. Your go-to guy. He doesn't seem to score the goals you need from him against teams like the Pens and the Flyers. He gets shutdown. Meanwhile other teams stars find ways to score against us. He needs to be better.

Tonight's miss in OT when he had plenty of space to let that shot go and he miss the net completely is just an example of how things are going for him right now.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:45 PM
darko

Dr Gabby is playing like a dentist right now.

He'll be fine though. We are winning so that's all that matters and he'll pick up his game soon.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:46 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post

But he has been invisible at times. You cant have that from your best player. Your go-to guy. He doesn't seem to score the goals you need from him against teams like the Pens and the Flyers. He gets shutdown. Meanwhile other teams stars find ways to score against us. He needs to be better.
Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby didn't score against us.

Just saying.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:52 PM
gravey9

Nobody seems to notice his shot is totally off since he got back from the shoulder injury. It doesn't have the same accuracy or velocity. Thus, he's not as much of a threat from the perimeter. As a result, opponents are keeping him to the outside ice and he's struggling. Bottom line - he might not be hurting, but the strength he lost because of the injury is STILL affecting him. A lot.

gravey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:54 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Last year he had a great first half and a so-so second half due to injuries and post-Olympic fatigue. He may still not be 100% healthy this year.

It's no biggie, let him save his hottest time for the stretch run or even the playoffs if they're still there in March-April (and I believe they will be).

If Gabby and Henrik get hot at the right time and the team keeps playing with this style and attitude...who knows how far that can take them.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:55 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

This notion that he's having a terrible year is really just unfounded. He's scoring at a rate of just under a point a game right now with about half his pts coming in goals. Extrapolating his numbers out over a full 82 he has 37 goals and 40 assists for 77 pts. Yeah that's a little under what he did last year, but he's also missed time this year due to injury illness and I'd guess that's affected him on the ice as well.

He seems less visible this year more so because other guys are really standing out, all the focus doesn't have to be on him. He has a sort of sneaky style naturally anyway, even last year at times he seemed invisible until the moment he scores a goal or makes a nice pass.

I know some people aren't used to not having anything to complain about, but lets not make stuff up now.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:58 PM
thewaitingisover

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
He's a great sniper, one of the best in the league, but he doesn't possess an all-around offensive game like some other elite forwards. One of the things that I've noticed about him lately is that he doesn't have a good puck possession game, so he is losing the puck and turning it over frequently. He could certainly benefit from having a skilled puck carrier on his line.

Tonight, it seemed like the effort may not have been there until the 3rd period. He was hanging out on the perimeter and shooting the puck from the halfboards instead of getting into the prime scoring areas.
Read my mind. Speed is there usually, he can pick his spots all day, he can get open. But he can't really stick-handle or control the puck as well as Crosby or Malkin and can't run over people like Ovechkin (who would LOVE Tort's system, btw. Just saying.). But just having him in the lineup is a boost. As somebody else said, this team is much worse off with him than without him, whether he's scoring 30 or 50. He's still generally a point a game player.

thewaitingisover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:04 PM
vladmyir111

Looks to me like every game he's within inches of a goal or two, this game being no exception. Just the way it works sometimes you score 5 in a row sometimes you go blank for 5 in a row.

Thing with Gaborick is he's always so sneaky and quiet, when he jumps in with a goal or 3 everyones like OMG he was so sneaky then he won the game. When he doesn't score its like like OMG hes loafing around and needs to hustle more.

vladmyir111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:10 PM
ColonialsHockey10

He's not moving his feet at all times, he's taking shots when he shouldn't, and he protects the puck worse then Prust. His passing has been awesome though.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:21 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
This notion that he's having a terrible year is really just unfounded. He's scoring at a rate of just under a point a game right now with about half his pts coming in goals. Extrapolating his numbers out over a full 82 he has 37 goals and 40 assists for 77 pts. Yeah that's a little under what he did last year, but he's also missed time this year due to injury illness and I'd guess that's affected him on the ice as well.

He seems less visible this year more so because other guys are really standing out, all the focus doesn't have to be on him. He has a sort of sneaky style naturally anyway, even last year at times he seemed invisible until the moment he scores a goal or makes a nice pass.

I know some people aren't used to not having anything to complain about, but lets not make stuff up now.
Lets look at when he's scoring and not divide his total # of points by games played... There's been some important games situations where we could have used him to contribute and he hasn't....

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:28 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
He has been quiet lately. However, as Fitzy noted, he's a streaky player. Never in his career though has he NOT been a productive player for any prolonged period of time...so I'm not at all worried. If we're in the middle of January and he's still struggling, then we can talk.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:37 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

He scores two goals and two assists in one game... The next four games, he'll only pile up an assist.

It seems he only scores when the rest of the team is scoring.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:41 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I posted this in a similar thread a month ago. i think this is still pretty clearly the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
Last season was Gaborik's first in the East, and first playing in a non-Lemaire system. The rest of the conference has figured out how to shut down Gaborik: don't give him ANY room.

Gaborik is not Jagr, Ovechkin, Kovalchuk, etc. He's not big enough or strong enough to shed tough, stick-to-him-like-glue defending. Teams are putting their best pairing against him and pressuring him in full force. There's no one capable of getting him the puck in those brief and rare instance where he might have a step on the guy guarding him.
In Minny, they played a system designed to send their forwards back into the offensive zone with numbers, time and space. That's when Gaborik is at his best. If you don't give him time and space, it becomes very difficult for him to be a factor offensively.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote