HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

First time in the Finals...and vs former team!

Old
12-16-2010, 12:08 AM
WhooFleuryScores

vCash: 500
First time in the Finals...and vs former team!

Long story short my team came back from 3-1 in the second to tie late in the third, before scoring with under 2 min in OT. I hadn't been playing that well, so suffice to say I was beyond relieved that the team pulled through (the girl on our team had the GW too no less which was wicked cool).

So.....not to overdo the Friday Night Analogies but I def an taking in this week and trying to tell myself as long as I play within my abilities Mon we should be ok. What makes this even better (storyline wise) is it's against my former team (it was me and one other guy who came over in exchange for 2 as well). So def some cool TV show/ESPN drama there.

Anyhoo, just trying to seek some stories from others who have made it to the finals before (whether in Pee-Wee, to College, Juniors, etc). I'd love to hear from star players, thumpers, hustlers etc alike how they approached the BIG GAME and what their best memory (or not) was.

WhooFleuryScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 08:41 AM
akalaM

Congrats for making it there!

akalaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:05 AM
Brunomics

Congrats! Finals games are the best and most fun hockey to play!

Just approach it like any other game, don't hype it up too much and you'll be good to go!

Hmmmm stories.... the last men's league final I played in we were down 3-0 going into the third, we tied it up with about 2 minutes left in the third, no scoring through over time and it went into the shootout. Up until that point I played horrendous with the exception of 1 shift and went third for our team in the shootout. Well needless to say all was forgiven as I potted the shootout winner, did the old teemu(threw the glove up in the air and shot it down) and then got mobbed by my team which was fun. Definitely awesome.

Good luck in your game, tell us about it after it goes on!

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Frankie Spankie

In my Thursday night beer league hockey, I've made it to the finals every time out of the year and a half the league has been here. Granted, there are only 4 teams and every team makes the playoffs, but I'm still pretty surprised I made it to the finals 6 out of 6 times. Too bad I've only won once.

I'm one of the hustlers on the team. I know I'm not that skilled and am quick for a big body so I'm always racing for those loose pucks and trying to screen the goalie. My favorite play in the finals was a couple seasons ago, even though we lost the game.

I was paying LW and off face offs, I immediately skate forward trying to pinch on the defenseman as quickly as possible or looking to pull their defense back if we win the faceoff. Well we were up 3-1 in the third and they were all over us. They tied it up with like 5 minutes remaining. Faceoff at center ice after the goal (obviously) and I just get on the ice. I immediately skate forward once the ref drops the puck like I always do. They won the faceoff but won it straight back, in between their defensemen, so it went to the goalie. I was flying down the ice and the goalie kind of tapped it off to the side for the defenseman but the defenseman was too close and overskated it, leaving the puck right there for me and I banged it in, like 5 seconds after they had just tied it. Helped kill the momentum and was one of my favorite goals I ever scored, even though it was so simple. Unfortunately they ended up tying it late and winning in OT, but that point in the game was pretty awesome.

Frankie Spankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 10:45 AM
jacklours

Soooo, you've never been to the finals before, so i'm guessing your old team hadn't either. Now they trade you and they make it to the finals, wonder what was the problem

jacklours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:41 PM
WhooFleuryScores

Thanks guys,loving the stories and encouragement. And actually, this was my first season playing at the town and level, I imagine my old team has been to the finals before.

But yeah, guess I will approach this like any other game and be a hustler out there fighting for the loose puck screening the goalie and covering the opposing D in my zone...

WhooFleuryScores is offline   Reply With Quote