vCash: 500
Keenan confirms lockerroom issues with Phaneuf

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=345780

canadajazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:48 PM
canadajazz

The interesting thing about this article is that...assuming Keenan isn't making this up (and I don't really see his incentive to), it completely kills any credibility any Flames player has for me.

Just a couple days ago they were telling the media it was all BS, all false rumors, etc.

The thing is, I'm COMPLETELY an advocate of keeping the locker room stuff inside the locker room; specially while it was going on. My only issue is that when you then go out of your way to lie and say there were no problems, it makes you lose a tremendous amount of credibility in the future after stuff like this comes out. Just makes you wonder what's truth and what's fiction in any player interview.

You guys think there's a reason to actually proactively lie after the fact? I'm not saying they should have stepped up and said "Well, yeah Dion was a problem blah blah" I'm just wondering if it would be more prudent to say something like "Rumors are rumors and we're focused on the team we have now and winning the game now" as opposed to actively advocating that all the rumors of locker troubles were false, lies, etc.

That being said, that's all assuming Keenan is being honest. I have a feeling he is.

Old
12-16-2010, 11:57 PM
flames123

Let me straiten this out for you. Drger himself is not the one that wrote the article, and he is the one who had the source on it.

Dreger said that it was not a personality issue, but rather some jealousy because of Phaneufs big contract.

(i assume Regehr was he took a pay cut to stay here and then they give Phaneuf a big contract he really didn't end up living up to.)

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:27 AM
canadajazz

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
Let me straiten this out for you. Drger himself is not the one that wrote the article, and he is the one who had the source on it.

Dreger said that it was not a personality issue, but rather some jealousy because of Phaneufs big contract.

(i assume Regehr was he took a pay cut to stay here and then they give Phaneuf a big contract he really didn't end up living up to.)
Hmm...

"Veteran players referred to Phaneuf as "Neon Dion" and found him, at times, overly confident, if not cocky, on and off the ice.

There were arguments, and some wanted Keenan to tighten the reigns and discipline Phaneuf,"

Overly confident? cocky? needs discipline? friction and name-calling?

Sounds like personality issues/clashes to me.

Old
12-17-2010, 12:32 AM
MVW

vCash: 50
Iginla is a classy guy in every sense, and he would never comment on anything if it did happen. What does it matter now anyways, he is gone and is TO's problem now.

MVW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:36 AM
StreakingRed
**Rebuild Ahead**

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVW View Post
What does it matter now anyways, he is gone and is TO's problem now.

Exactly. Couldn't of said it better.

Whether it was true or not doesn't matter now.

StreakingRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:02 AM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

Flames players call Karlsson "vez" because he's cocky, and struts around like he's already won the trophy. Sounds like he's a cancer in the room too.

Being a little cocky isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 08:38 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Flames players call Karlsson "vez" because he's cocky, and struts around like he's already won the trophy. Sounds like he's a cancer in the room too.

Being a little cocky isn't necessarily a bad thing.
Yes totally! As much as I liked Phaneuf his issues are Toronto's now... I agree with Flames 123 though as Reggie must have been royally upset after he took a cut then Phaneuf gets the big bucks.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:21 AM
Body Checker

“Dion is all about Dion,” said one team member on the condition of anonymity.

“He just wouldn’t buy in. Darryl did the only thing he could do — he had to trade him. You can’t keep that in the dressing room.”

Here's a Flames player quote from a Sun article. This would pretty much confirm it. Link:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/NHL.../16570031.html

Last edited by Body Checker: 12-17-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:37 AM
getoverit

I dont think anyone misses Dion really or questions being traded, just all frustrated that we felt we could have got more.

as far as what went on in the locker room, who cares , theire problem now, we have our own problems
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post

“He just wouldn’t buy in. Darryl did the only thing he could do — he had to trade him. You can’t keep that in the dressing room.”

Here's a Flames player quote from a Sun article. This would pretty much confirm it. Link:

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:40 AM
bigchief12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Checker View Post

A Francis article quoting anonymous players confirms nothing. It may be true, it may not be. Francis is on par with Eklund in the credibility department.

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:11 PM
ArizonaGreenTea

If Phaneuf was actually driven out of town because the players were jealous of his contract then I would concede that, despite his arrogance, he wasn't the problem. Green with envy about a higher paid player because a his production isn't up to your standards? If true, it would be a sign that the core of this team is rotten and if Phaneuf wasn't working out, moving him wouldn't solve the problem the team has.

There is one simple fact that tempers my conclusion here, it is Keenan. A coach with a reputation of not knowing when to back down, whose career has been marred by poor decisions, aggressive meltdowns and petty behavior. No doubt that Keenan understands some sports psychology but he left all but one team because the players drove him out of town by giving up and refusing to play. It shows that Keenan's understanding of sport's psychology is pretty poor.

The biggest thing Keenan had against him was this personal bias, if you did something to impress him early on, it was easy to keep his favor all throughout his tenure as coach. Keenan has treated several players as if they could do no wrong and I think that is a sign that he overvalues a player's contribution and the players that could do no right, they couldn't do anything to win back his favor(something Fleury mentioned in his book as well).

Combine his reputation of player bias, his reputation of pushing teams to the point where they give up and his contradicting quotes brought up by canadajazz and I think it's fair to conclude that he is not a reliable source despite being coach of the team. I sincerely believe that Keenan is telling the truth as he sees it so I wouldn't call him a liar but I would call him biased. The Francis article doesn't confirm anything either, too often sport's journalists hide behind the anonymous source in order to create a juicy story, Francis has been one of the worst culprits of this that I have read. I will wait with baited breath for the next reliable source on Phaneuf's reputation with the Flames. By the way, when does Calgary play Toronto again?

ArizonaGreenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Pilkington

^ good post

Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:10 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

Everyone knew there were problems? and a guy like Iginla (the leader of this team) isn't going to bring all the issues out to public. However Conroy came out and said basically that Regehr and Dion butted heads. AND in the past week Regehr didn't say no it was fine, he said "all lockerrooms have issues, you just have to work through them and keep going"

But as said before, who cares? WHY THE **** are we talking about Phaneuf when he's not even on our team anymore, none of this is relevant to the flames today

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote