HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#34 - 12.16.2010 | Phoenix Coyotes @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Old
12-16-2010, 11:10 PM
mrhockey193195

vCash: 500
Just got back from the game. A few points (forgive me if any of this stuff has already been discussed, or if I saw something that actually didn't happen and am talking ********):

-Once again, we win a game where we struggled for good portions and played far from our best (and Gaborik wasn't himself - he still played well, IMO, but wasn't at 100%). That's a HUGE positive if we can continue to win when not at our best. Just wait until Cally is healthy and Gaborik is scoring again.

-Great atmosphere tonight, despite the fact that we were playing PHO. It's been a while since I've been to the Garden (I go to school in Cali) so maybe I just forgot what the Garden is usually like, but the place was electric on each goal and was more of a factor than for any other Western Conference game I've been to in a long time.

-I saw the Drury skate-back-and-tap-him-on-the-pads thing with Biron after the second goal. Typical Drury, that's just what he does, he knows the right times to pick people up. And Biron responded well, to his credit. I love the New York minute attitude towards Biron this game. 1st period, chants of "Henrik! Henrik!" and then by the shootout, chants of "Marty! Marty!"

-We played pretty sloppy in our own end, way too many turnovers...but it seemed like each and every odd man rush they had, the lone defenseman back made a fantastic play.

-Was it just me, or did Prust not play much (if at all) in the third period? Did Sam and Joe mention anything about him being hurt? Maybe I just was not being observant. But what a play he made on his goal...the Rangers needed that momentum desperately before the end of the period.

-I just turned on Rangers in 60, and I see I wasn't completely insane on this one: there was a random guy dressed as the Coyotes' backup.

-Am I the only person who saw the Rangers go down 2-0 early, but was still 100% confident that we'd win this game? It's the first time post-Jagr that I've felt this way with the Rangers, that no matter the deficit we can score goals in bunches and come back to win a game.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:18 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I understand the chants deriding Marty early in the game. The first goal was a tough bounce, something you can't really anticipate...however, the average fan tends to pin that on the goalie. And the second goal, well, I'm sure the crowd couldn't detect the deflection in real time. Just looked like Biron whiffed with the glove.

Couple that with the fact that Marty is new here, and Henrik is the beloved face of the franchise, and you're going to get "Hen-rik" chants in those situations. If Biron continues to play well, the fans will embrace him.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:21 PM
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
-Great atmosphere tonight, despite the fact that we were playing PHO. It's been a while since I've been to the Garden (I go to school in Cali) so maybe I just forgot what the Garden is usually like, but the place was electric on each goal and was more of a factor than for any other Western Conference game I've been to in a long time.

-I saw the Drury skate-back-and-tap-him-on-the-pads thing with Biron after the second goal. Typical Drury, that's just what he does, he knows the right times to pick people up. And Biron responded well, to his credit. I love the New York minute attitude towards Biron this game. 1st period, chants of "Henrik! Henrik!" and then by the shootout, chants of "Marty! Marty!"
There were actually quite a few boos when Drury did that. Some clueless fans out there, for sure. Had a great time tonight at the Garden.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:22 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
The game tying goal was beautiful. Drury winning a key face-off, then driving the net...Rozsival throwing a shot at the cage...Avery driving the net, nullifying a defenseman...and Stepper going to goal, cashing in.

Also, I really wish Torts would play Avery a bit more. I know it is not reflected in the stats, but I think Avery has been playing pretty well. He's active, be it throwing hits or agitating. The GTG wouldn't have happened without him driving the net. He only played 8 minutes tonight...seems silly.

Old
12-16-2010, 11:40 PM
clemsonRanger

8 mins? I swear I saw him on the ice a lot tonight

clemsonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:40 PM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Stepper going to goal, cashing in.
It's called SCORING FROM THE SIDE. Get your hockey terminology right, damnit!

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:41 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
It's called SCORING FROM THE SIDE. Get your hockey terminology right, damnit!
Seriously. Stepan drops a ****ing beauty of a score from the side and we have guys bumbling the call. Who do you think you are, John Giannone? Describe it right or don't describe it at all.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:46 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonRanger View Post
8 mins? I swear I saw him on the ice a lot tonight
Yep, 8:12. Played less than that the previous two games, about 7:30 each. He hasn't touched 10 minutes over the past five games.

And it does seem like he's out there a lot more, as he's generally doing something noticeable on each shift. IMO at least.

Old
12-16-2010, 11:52 PM
mike14

Quote:
The game tying goal was beautiful. Drury winning a key face-off, then driving the net...Rozsival throwing a shot at the cage...Avery driving the net, nullifying a defenseman...and Stepper going to goal, cashing in.

Also, I really wish Torts would play Avery a bit more. I know it is not reflected in the stats, but I think Avery has been playing pretty well. He's active, be it throwing hits or agitating. The GTG wouldn't have happened without him driving the net. He only played 8 minutes tonight...seems silly.
I agree on Avery but who's minutes does he get? the easy answer is Frolov, but as i said early in the thread, he's doing a fair bit out there and creating quite a few chances with Boyle and Prust. The only other thing is to put Avery on the top line in place of feds

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:59 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Yep, 8:12. Played less than that the previous two games, about 7:30 each. He hasn't touched 10 minutes over the past five games.

And it does seem like he's out there a lot more, as he's generally doing something noticeable on each shift. IMO at least.
He would get more playing time if he didn't do stupid **** like in the Penguins game with that penalty.

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Another great win tonight from our boys. So impressed how much this team continues to battles. They consistently battle.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:08 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:

You should take over Micheletti's spot. Seriously.

I didn't even notice what Rozsival or Avery did. That's cool you pointed that out.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:28 AM
Escudero

Send a message via AIM to Escudero
Watching Torts' comments to the reporters, I get the impression that when he's talking about the Biron situation in the game that he would have said in old scool style "**** you fans, ya ****in' ******!"

Escudero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:29 AM
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15

Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Great win boys!!!

Drury with the key faceoff win led to the tying goal

12-17-2010, 12:36 AM
Draft Guru

Met the KING after the game, so sick

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 01:22 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
not to defend the idiot who put this on the Rangers site...but the captions and photos are supplied by a wire service.
That's because that's indefensible. I don't give a crap where it comes from. You're supposed to read it before putting it up on the website. If you don't know martin brodeur isn't on the rangers you don't belong in the hockey industry period.

It's not like it said Martin biran or some easily missed typo if you're skimming it.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 01:32 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

Quote:
I understand the chants deriding Marty early in the game. The first goal was a tough bounce, something you can't really anticipate...however, the average fan tends to pin that on the goalie. And the second goal, well, I'm sure the crowd couldn't detect the deflection in real time. Just looked like Biron whiffed with the glove.

Couple that with the fact that Marty is new here, and Henrik is the beloved face of the franchise, and you're going to get "Hen-rik" chants in those situations. If Biron continues to play well, the fans will embrace him.
If I'm at MSG I want to see lundqvist play. It's nothing against Biron. He could win every game he plays but I want to see the franchise goalie play. That's the case for a lot of fans. I know devils fans want to see brodeur play when they go to a game, not the backup.

Although after the game's already underway I don't want to see lundqvist put in. I'd expect a terrible performance out of him if he's put in cold. Wouldn't really be fair to expect a good performance after sitting on the bench for an hour.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 01:56 AM
MaximusT

for anyone else at the game tonight, how hot was that guest DJ they kept showing up on the jumbotron. hot ass chick spinning good music.

anyways, MSG was amazing tonight, electric atmosphere.
not going to lie, I was one of the few chanting for henrik after Biron let those 2 softies in during the first 5 minutes, but im so glad he rebounded from that and played a solid 3rd. there were definitely some points at which Phoenix was streaking up the ice, with the chance to put them up late at the end of the game and he made a beautiful save.
over all great game. even when it was 3-1, and having watched this team comeback the way they have at several points in the season I had no doubt they would come back and win it. and I was right!'

def one of my favorite games at the Garden in recent memory, nonetheless, for a Western conference team a casual fan wouldnt be able to name a single player off of! im proud of the team and it's fans. Let's hope they continue playing this well,PHILLY IS NEXT!

MaximusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:40 AM
AJRanger

I didn't watch the game last night nor have I read through this thread so forgive me if it's been mentioned;

I noticed on some of Gross and Zip's twitter updates after the second goal that the crowd was chanting for Henrik - is that really how impatient we've become with Biron? A bad five minutes from a guy that's been playing very well and we're crying for our #1? Great to see Marty end up with the win.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 04:06 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
Just got back from the game. A few points (forgive me if any of this stuff has already been discussed, or if I saw something that actually didn't happen and am talking ********):
Marty gave Drury credit for lifting him after the second goal in the post game interview. Cool you caught that at the game.

Quote:
-Was it just me, or did Prust not play much (if at all) in the third period? Did Sam and Joe mention anything about him being hurt? Maybe I just was not being observant. But what a play he made on his goal...the Rangers needed that momentum desperately before the end of the period.
He played over 18 minutes tonight. And none of it in OT.

Quote:
-I just turned on Rangers in 60, and I see I wasn't completely insane on this one: there was a random guy dressed as the Coyotes' backup.
He's a local college coach who signed a one game contract as the the Yotes scrambled for a backup,... just for tonight. After Prust scored ending the second period, Al Trautwig kids the backup while interviewing him between periods, telling him,... "I just got word LaBarbera will not start the 3rd period."

Last edited by ohbaby: 12-17-2010 at 04:22 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:30 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
but drury has negative value to the team and shud be stripped of the C and bought out.
I have no problem eating a big helping of Drury crow for the rest of the season. Bring it.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:43 AM
msv957

Look what team is 4th in points in the WHOLE NHL!.. This team has the talent, depth and tenacity to win. I am sorry if some of you don't see this, you are crazy!

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 06:25 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Look what team is 4th in points in the WHOLE NHL!.. This team has the talent, depth and tenacity to win. I am sorry if some of you don't see this, you are crazy!
It's a bit deceiving cause the top 4 teams in the west have 3, 4, 5 games inhand.

We are a good team, but not sure we are gonna catch Pitt or Philly in the standings. That leaves us at best 5th in the east, which is where we are right now.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 07:51 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I didnt have a problem with the effort at all. Dave Tippett teams play tight defense, and Labarbera was excellent tonight, controlling his rebounds and anticipating every shot. The power play looked good at times, and the forecheck was really good.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 08:20 AM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He would get more playing time if he didn't do stupid **** like in the Penguins game with that penalty.
Although he was penalty free last night, he logged 18 minutes of PIM's in the previous three games. Time in the box can only reduce your TOI.

Avery isn't playing bad, but almost everyone in the bottom 6 is playing better IMO. Maybe keeping him under 10 minutes makes him more effective at his primary role when he is out there.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote