HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#34 - 12.16.2010 | Phoenix Coyotes @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-16-2010, 11:10 PM
  #876
mrhockey193195
Registered User
 
mrhockey193195's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 500
Just got back from the game. A few points (forgive me if any of this stuff has already been discussed, or if I saw something that actually didn't happen and am talking ********):

-Once again, we win a game where we struggled for good portions and played far from our best (and Gaborik wasn't himself - he still played well, IMO, but wasn't at 100%). That's a HUGE positive if we can continue to win when not at our best. Just wait until Cally is healthy and Gaborik is scoring again.

-Great atmosphere tonight, despite the fact that we were playing PHO. It's been a while since I've been to the Garden (I go to school in Cali) so maybe I just forgot what the Garden is usually like, but the place was electric on each goal and was more of a factor than for any other Western Conference game I've been to in a long time.

-I saw the Drury skate-back-and-tap-him-on-the-pads thing with Biron after the second goal. Typical Drury, that's just what he does, he knows the right times to pick people up. And Biron responded well, to his credit. I love the New York minute attitude towards Biron this game. 1st period, chants of "Henrik! Henrik!" and then by the shootout, chants of "Marty! Marty!"

-We played pretty sloppy in our own end, way too many turnovers...but it seemed like each and every odd man rush they had, the lone defenseman back made a fantastic play.

-Was it just me, or did Prust not play much (if at all) in the third period? Did Sam and Joe mention anything about him being hurt? Maybe I just was not being observant. But what a play he made on his goal...the Rangers needed that momentum desperately before the end of the period.

-I just turned on Rangers in 60, and I see I wasn't completely insane on this one: there was a random guy dressed as the Coyotes' backup.

-Am I the only person who saw the Rangers go down 2-0 early, but was still 100% confident that we'd win this game? It's the first time post-Jagr that I've felt this way with the Rangers, that no matter the deficit we can score goals in bunches and come back to win a game.

mrhockey193195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:18 PM
  #877
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,413
vCash: 500
Awards:
I understand the chants deriding Marty early in the game. The first goal was a tough bounce, something you can't really anticipate...however, the average fan tends to pin that on the goalie. And the second goal, well, I'm sure the crowd couldn't detect the deflection in real time. Just looked like Biron whiffed with the glove.

Couple that with the fact that Marty is new here, and Henrik is the beloved face of the franchise, and you're going to get "Hen-rik" chants in those situations. If Biron continues to play well, the fans will embrace him.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:21 PM
  #878
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,388
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
-Great atmosphere tonight, despite the fact that we were playing PHO. It's been a while since I've been to the Garden (I go to school in Cali) so maybe I just forgot what the Garden is usually like, but the place was electric on each goal and was more of a factor than for any other Western Conference game I've been to in a long time.

-I saw the Drury skate-back-and-tap-him-on-the-pads thing with Biron after the second goal. Typical Drury, that's just what he does, he knows the right times to pick people up. And Biron responded well, to his credit. I love the New York minute attitude towards Biron this game. 1st period, chants of "Henrik! Henrik!" and then by the shootout, chants of "Marty! Marty!"
There were actually quite a few boos when Drury did that. Some clueless fans out there, for sure. Had a great time tonight at the Garden.

haohmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:22 PM
  #879
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,413
vCash: 500
Awards:
The game tying goal was beautiful. Drury winning a key face-off, then driving the net...Rozsival throwing a shot at the cage...Avery driving the net, nullifying a defenseman...and Stepper going to goal, cashing in.

Also, I really wish Torts would play Avery a bit more. I know it is not reflected in the stats, but I think Avery has been playing pretty well. He's active, be it throwing hits or agitating. The GTG wouldn't have happened without him driving the net. He only played 8 minutes tonight...seems silly.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:40 PM
  #880
clemsonRanger
Registered User
 
clemsonRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: new jersey
Posts: 650
vCash: 500
8 mins? I swear I saw him on the ice a lot tonight

clemsonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:40 PM
  #881
FromTheSide
Registered User
 
FromTheSide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 22,879
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Stepper going to goal, cashing in.
It's called SCORING FROM THE SIDE. Get your hockey terminology right, damnit!

FromTheSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:41 PM
  #882
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOWRanger View Post
It's called SCORING FROM THE SIDE. Get your hockey terminology right, damnit!
Seriously. Stepan drops a ****ing beauty of a score from the side and we have guys bumbling the call. Who do you think you are, John Giannone? Describe it right or don't describe it at all.


BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:46 PM
  #883
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,413
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonRanger View Post
8 mins? I swear I saw him on the ice a lot tonight
Yep, 8:12. Played less than that the previous two games, about 7:30 each. He hasn't touched 10 minutes over the past five games.

And it does seem like he's out there a lot more, as he's generally doing something noticeable on each shift. IMO at least.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:52 PM
  #884
mike14
Registered User
 
mike14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Melbourne
Country: Australia
Posts: 4,315
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
The game tying goal was beautiful. Drury winning a key face-off, then driving the net...Rozsival throwing a shot at the cage...Avery driving the net, nullifying a defenseman...and Stepper going to goal, cashing in.

Also, I really wish Torts would play Avery a bit more. I know it is not reflected in the stats, but I think Avery has been playing pretty well. He's active, be it throwing hits or agitating. The GTG wouldn't have happened without him driving the net. He only played 8 minutes tonight...seems silly.
I agree on Avery but who's minutes does he get? the easy answer is Frolov, but as i said early in the thread, he's doing a fair bit out there and creating quite a few chances with Boyle and Prust. The only other thing is to put Avery on the top line in place of feds

mike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 11:59 PM
  #885
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 73,449
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Yep, 8:12. Played less than that the previous two games, about 7:30 each. He hasn't touched 10 minutes over the past five games.

And it does seem like he's out there a lot more, as he's generally doing something noticeable on each shift. IMO at least.
He would get more playing time if he didn't do stupid **** like in the Penguins game with that penalty.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:05 AM
  #886
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Another great win tonight from our boys. So impressed how much this team continues to battles. They consistently battle.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:08 AM
  #887
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!
 
Florida Ranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Tampa, FLA
Country: United States
Posts: 6,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
The game tying goal was beautiful. Drury winning a key face-off, then driving the net...Rozsival throwing a shot at the cage...Avery driving the net, nullifying a defenseman...and Stepper going to goal, cashing in.

Also, I really wish Torts would play Avery a bit more. I know it is not reflected in the stats, but I think Avery has been playing pretty well. He's active, be it throwing hits or agitating. The GTG wouldn't have happened without him driving the net. He only played 8 minutes tonight...seems silly.
You should take over Micheletti's spot. Seriously.

I didn't even notice what Rozsival or Avery did. That's cool you pointed that out.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:28 AM
  #888
Escudero
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NY
Country: Chile
Posts: 94
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Escudero
Watching Torts' comments to the reporters, I get the impression that when he's talking about the Biron situation in the game that he would have said in old scool style "**** you fans, ya ****in' ******!"

Escudero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:29 AM
  #889
BlueShirts88
Section 208 Row 15
 
BlueShirts88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,360
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BlueShirts88
Great win boys!!!

Drury with the key faceoff win led to the tying goal

__________________
"Matteau! Matteau! Matteau!"~H. Rose
BlueShirts88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:36 AM
  #890
Draft Guru
Registered User
 
Draft Guru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 6,668
vCash: 500
Met the KING after the game, so sick

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 01:22 AM
  #891
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by morffin View Post
not to defend the idiot who put this on the Rangers site...but the captions and photos are supplied by a wire service.
That's because that's indefensible. I don't give a crap where it comes from. You're supposed to read it before putting it up on the website. If you don't know martin brodeur isn't on the rangers you don't belong in the hockey industry period.

It's not like it said Martin biran or some easily missed typo if you're skimming it.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 01:32 AM
  #892
Hockey Team
Hunger Force
 
Hockey Team's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I understand the chants deriding Marty early in the game. The first goal was a tough bounce, something you can't really anticipate...however, the average fan tends to pin that on the goalie. And the second goal, well, I'm sure the crowd couldn't detect the deflection in real time. Just looked like Biron whiffed with the glove.

Couple that with the fact that Marty is new here, and Henrik is the beloved face of the franchise, and you're going to get "Hen-rik" chants in those situations. If Biron continues to play well, the fans will embrace him.
If I'm at MSG I want to see lundqvist play. It's nothing against Biron. He could win every game he plays but I want to see the franchise goalie play. That's the case for a lot of fans. I know devils fans want to see brodeur play when they go to a game, not the backup.

Although after the game's already underway I don't want to see lundqvist put in. I'd expect a terrible performance out of him if he's put in cold. Wouldn't really be fair to expect a good performance after sitting on the bench for an hour.

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 01:56 AM
  #893
MaximusT
Registered User
 
MaximusT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 975
vCash: 500
for anyone else at the game tonight, how hot was that guest DJ they kept showing up on the jumbotron. hot ass chick spinning good music.

anyways, MSG was amazing tonight, electric atmosphere.
not going to lie, I was one of the few chanting for henrik after Biron let those 2 softies in during the first 5 minutes, but im so glad he rebounded from that and played a solid 3rd. there were definitely some points at which Phoenix was streaking up the ice, with the chance to put them up late at the end of the game and he made a beautiful save.
over all great game. even when it was 3-1, and having watched this team comeback the way they have at several points in the season I had no doubt they would come back and win it. and I was right!'

def one of my favorite games at the Garden in recent memory, nonetheless, for a Western conference team a casual fan wouldnt be able to name a single player off of! im proud of the team and it's fans. Let's hope they continue playing this well,PHILLY IS NEXT!

MaximusT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:40 AM
  #894
AJRanger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Essex
Country: England
Posts: 2,420
vCash: 500
I didn't watch the game last night nor have I read through this thread so forgive me if it's been mentioned;

I noticed on some of Gross and Zip's twitter updates after the second goal that the crowd was chanting for Henrik - is that really how impatient we've become with Biron? A bad five minutes from a guy that's been playing very well and we're crying for our #1? Great to see Marty end up with the win.

AJRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 04:06 AM
  #895
ohbaby
Registered User
 
ohbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
Just got back from the game. A few points (forgive me if any of this stuff has already been discussed, or if I saw something that actually didn't happen and am talking ********):
-I saw the Drury skate-back-and-tap-him-on-the-pads thing with Biron after the second goal. Typical Drury, that's just what he does, he knows the right times to pick people up. And Biron responded well, to his credit. I love the New York minute attitude towards Biron this game. 1st period, chants of "Henrik! Henrik!" and then by the shootout, chants of "Marty! Marty!"
Marty gave Drury credit for lifting him after the second goal in the post game interview. Cool you caught that at the game.

Quote:
-Was it just me, or did Prust not play much (if at all) in the third period? Did Sam and Joe mention anything about him being hurt? Maybe I just was not being observant. But what a play he made on his goal...the Rangers needed that momentum desperately before the end of the period.
He played over 18 minutes tonight. And none of it in OT.

Quote:
-I just turned on Rangers in 60, and I see I wasn't completely insane on this one: there was a random guy dressed as the Coyotes' backup.
He's a local college coach who signed a one game contract as the the Yotes scrambled for a backup,... just for tonight. After Prust scored ending the second period, Al Trautwig kids the backup while interviewing him between periods, telling him,... "I just got word LaBarbera will not start the 3rd period."


Last edited by ohbaby: 12-17-2010 at 04:22 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:30 AM
  #896
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Blueshirt Special's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 3,122
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
but drury has negative value to the team and shud be stripped of the C and bought out.
I have no problem eating a big helping of Drury crow for the rest of the season. Bring it.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:43 AM
  #897
msv957
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,047
vCash: 500
Look what team is 4th in points in the WHOLE NHL!.. This team has the talent, depth and tenacity to win. I am sorry if some of you don't see this, you are crazy!

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 06:25 AM
  #898
ohbaby
Registered User
 
ohbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by msv957 View Post
Look what team is 4th in points in the WHOLE NHL!.. This team has the talent, depth and tenacity to win. I am sorry if some of you don't see this, you are crazy!
It's a bit deceiving cause the top 4 teams in the west have 3, 4, 5 games inhand.

We are a good team, but not sure we are gonna catch Pitt or Philly in the standings. That leaves us at best 5th in the east, which is where we are right now.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 07:51 AM
  #899
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup
 
GWOW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 14,747
vCash: 500
I didnt have a problem with the effort at all. Dave Tippett teams play tight defense, and Labarbera was excellent tonight, controlling his rebounds and anticipating every shot. The power play looked good at times, and the forecheck was really good.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 08:20 AM
  #900
Melrose_Jr.
Registered User
 
Melrose_Jr.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Providence, RI
Country: United States
Posts: 10,692
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
He would get more playing time if he didn't do stupid **** like in the Penguins game with that penalty.
Although he was penalty free last night, he logged 18 minutes of PIM's in the previous three games. Time in the box can only reduce your TOI.

Avery isn't playing bad, but almost everyone in the bottom 6 is playing better IMO. Maybe keeping him under 10 minutes makes him more effective at his primary role when he is out there.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.