Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Maple Leafs 2 Flames 5

Old
12-17-2010, 02:32 AM
Pilkington

vCash: 500
Most anything would have been an improvement on White. But Anton looked really good tonight.

Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:26 AM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
And 1 game under .500, and 4pts out of the playoffs. This next stretch of 5 games is against non-playoff teams. We need to put in good efforts and pull this team back into contention before christmas. We have an opportunity to pull into 8th or so and we need to jump on it.
Hmm but this ruins our chances at getting Courturier!

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 06:15 AM
Stewie Griffin
#unsustainable

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreakingRed View Post
Interesting stats. I'm glad you brought those up.

I didn't trash Babchuk when he was acquired, but I was trashing him on being invisible and completely useless as recently as a week or two ago. However, he has been playing a lot better lately and we're finally seeing that big shot we heard about when he was brought in. Good to see. Hopefully he keeps it up.
Being invisible as a defenseman isn't always a bad thing. While he may not be noticed for offense, at least you don't notice him screwing up defensively either.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 06:17 AM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
Being invisible as a defenseman isn't always a bad thing. While he may not be noticed for offense, at least you don't notice him screwing up defensively either.
unlike White who was very visible for his 'defensive' play

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 08:43 AM
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck91 View Post
How about that Nazem Kadri? There's a top prospect if I've ever seen one! He's not even close to racking up the same amount of points as Stajan did in the league at the same age. These Leafs will never change, and I could care less.
You know who else didn't get as many points as Stajan as a rookie (Even though Kadri has roughly the same PPG as Stajan did.)? Joe Thornton, Mike Ribeiro, H. Sedin (had 2 more points over 20 more games), Chris Stewart, Phil Kessel (same as Sedin)... etc.

Kadri plays a different game than Stajan. He's ultra-skilled, but doesn't have the size, or strength to use it to his full potential in the NHL yet. Stajan doesn't do anything exceptionally well, he's just pretty good at some things.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 08:48 AM
Stephen23

Good game guys. It's too bad they didn't delay this until the heritage classic. Hopefully the Leafs show up next time and give us a more entertaining game. Keep it up Flames. I'm rooting for you guys!

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:29 AM
GoFlames

It was our work Christmas party last night so I missed the game. Sounds like a good one with 2 points.

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Body Checker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
I seem to remember some guys trashing Babchuk and us getting him as the return for White... but I just thought I would bring up some numbers...

As Flames this season...

White - 16 Games, 2 Goals, 4 Assists, 6 Points, -10, 6 PIM, 21:44 TOI
Anton - 15 Games, 1 Goal, 4 Assists, 5 Points, +2, 6 PIM, 17:05 TOI

considering the Flames actually won a bunch of games with White in the lineup in October that +/- difference of 12 is ridiculous... while Anton doesn't eat up the same amount of ice-time he has been much more reliable than White... also Kostopoulos > Sutter... so this deal is really looking like alot of win for the Flames
Other than his 1st game with the Flames (nerves) I have been impressed with Babs. I mentioned it before, his first pass out of the zone is almost automatic. It's always almost on the tape. I think he should go to the 1st PP unit. I like him better than White actually, i thought Ian took the bulking up too far and lost some speed.

Body Checker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 10:40 AM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen23 View Post
Good game guys. It's too bad they didn't delay this until the heritage classic. Hopefully the Leafs show up next time and give us a more entertaining game. Keep it up Flames. I'm rooting for you guys!
Yeah this game was pretty entertaining in the first..but I always look forward to Flames/Leafs

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:39 AM
The Gnome

I love that everyone in the building including all the flames players knew that Phaneuf cannot skate backwards. I loved watching him get burned. This was my favourite game of the year by far.

Giordano is turning into a leader on this team, he had one bad luck goal tonight and it didn't phase him in the least. The perfect model of work ethic and consistency. This guy deserves an A at some point, he's turning into a leader. I also think he's great in interviews, a very humble guy. I love it that we locked him up long-term, good on Sutter.

Bouwmeester is so much better this year.

Jokinen, WTF?!! Why can't he do this every game, where has that nose for the net been. He knew exactly how to take advantage of phaneuf's slow backwards skating last night. It's like his IQ spiked by 50pts when he laced them up for this one. In the last 4-5 games Jokinen has been above average and look at how this team has played. He needs to keep building on his recent success for this team to climb back into contention.

Backlund, this kid has so much skill. He's starting to make me smile more and more every game. Great vision on that goal, and what amazing strength to make that play happen. We need more players of his skillset. Gifted playmaker and one of our best defensive forwards, love it. If playfair can bring up more players in that suit than I'll be doing back flips. Backlund looks like a DET prospect to me, and that is huge compliment IMO to his development.

Lunatik is right about Babchuk. He's slow as syrup, but in the last 2 weeks his postioning has made a huge difference. He's getting his big frame in front of the puck, and rarley gets caught pinching (although he had a bad one last night). I love that he has done what Sutter has asked of him. It's exactly what you need from your 3rd pairing. A good consistent defensive effort, and not trying to make the big plays. It seems like he understands his limitations and is doing exactly what is asked of him. That is why he's staying in the lineup.

Good on Stajan to show some grit and drive to the net last night. I'd like to see more of that out of him, it'd make his contract easier to swallow.

Hagman has so much skill it always baffles me that he doesn't make that jump to star status and score 30+. It's really hard to gauge why, it could be speed issues maybe, or he just doesn't have enough composure with the puck. Anyone else with an opinion on this? I'm going to try concentrating more on him in the next few games. I spend most of my time these days watching Jokinen float around...lol. Hopefully he keeps silencing the critics (like myself) moving forward.

The Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Padlock

Comparing a guy with very sheltered 3rd line minutes to a guy playing top players every night is ridiculous. Babchuk can't transition from skating backwards to forwards without falling. If you gave White the icetime and strength of competition Babchuk is playing he'd look great out there. Big difference playing against Getzlaf, Ryan and Perry than playing Parros and Marchant

Padlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:42 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padlock View Post
Comparing a guy with very sheltered 3rd line minutes to a guy playing top players every night is ridiculous. Babchuk can't transition from skating backwards to forwards without falling. If you gave White the icetime and strength of competition Babchuk is playing he'd look great out there. Big difference playing against Getzlaf, Ryan and Perry than playing Parros and Marchant
So...White was horrible here in a top 4 position this season. i'm not a fan of the trade because I would have gotten a different package for white.

Regardless...Babchuk has been good in the postion the coaches have put him in in the last 2-3 weeks. IMO sarich can play top 4 as long as he stays out of the box so that hole is filled. As long as the big 3 on the point hold the top 4 together I am happy to keep babchuk where he is.

Old
12-17-2010, 12:44 PM
The Gnome

Quote:
I completly agree with this and have mentioned it before too. Hopefully he can improve on that, but his positioning has made up for this negative attribute as of late.

Old
12-17-2010, 12:45 PM
Padlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gnome View Post
So...White was horrible here in a top 4 position this season. i'm not a fan of the trade because I would have gotten a different package for white.

Regardless...Babchuk has been good in the postion the coaches have put him in in the last 2-3 weeks. IMO sarich can play top 4 as long as he stays out of the box so that hole is filled. As long as the big 3 on the point hold the top 4 together I am happy to keep babchuk where he is.

Agree 100%

Padlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:46 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
White was nothing short of complete garbage this season... he is STILL worst on the team in +/- and he was traded after 16 games... i don't care if Babchuk has played more sheltered minutes... the fact he is a plus and White's minus was double that of any other defenseman says alot about how they have played

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:32 PM
tfong

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleLeaf View Post
You know who else didn't get as many points as Stajan as a rookie (Even though Kadri has roughly the same PPG as Stajan did.)? Joe Thornton, Mike Ribeiro, H. Sedin (had 2 more points over 20 more games), Chris Stewart, Phil Kessel (same as Sedin)... etc.

Kadri plays a different game than Stajan. He's ultra-skilled, but doesn't have the size, or strength to use it to his full potential in the NHL yet. Stajan doesn't do anything exceptionally well, he's just pretty good at some things.
Kadri should not be playing in NHL right now, the guy isn't ready. His skating still needs work since his small size means he needs to be much faster than other skaters and he isn't really right now.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 04:07 PM
Signature
Capitano Giordano

vCash: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfong View Post
Kadri should not be playing in NHL right now, the guy isn't ready. His skating still needs work since his small size means he needs to be much faster than other skaters and he isn't really right now.
Problem is, and it's a genuine statement - I don't know if Kadri can play at that speed. To be honest, not many players can.

Martin St Louis, Linus Omark (based off his first goal of the season), those guys = because they are able to anticipate, make a decision, puckhandle, shoot, at the speed of which they are moving towards their objective, which is incredible. Split second decisions.

Any player can rush towards the net anticipating a tic-tac-toe cross-crease pass, but to have the puck on your stick and move like that, MENTALLY, is something else.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 06:03 PM
King In The North
Sean Bennett

I know the Leafs are lacking the offense but would they rather not let him properly develop physically and mentally in the minors? Take a lesson from Minnesota; don't rush players!

King In The North is offline   Reply With Quote