HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

So, with the 4th best points total in the league, what should the Rangers do?

Old
12-17-2010, 02:31 AM
Patriks7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
what he said.

but i would look to see what it would take to get Richards here...if you can pry him away from Dallas without breaking the bank in terms of prospects....I would do it. but only if you could call it a steal, not anything else.
I have a feeling many people don't understand one thing around here. Dallas is 2nd in the West in a very close Pacific Division. It would take a big trade for what is (one of) their best player(s) if they are still in this position at the deadline, because if they are, they have a legitimate chance to make some kind of a run.

Patriks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:48 AM
Zil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The team's success only makes it more imperative that they find a way to get Richards. Now (meaning this deadline or the summer) is the time. Add the missing piece of the puzzle, or at least the biggest missing piece. With Richards, this team becomes very dangerous, and Gaborik becomes a bigger factor.
Richards would be a great addition at the right price, but if they did something like trade Anisimov for him I'd scream bloody murder.

Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 04:43 AM
ohbaby

I wouldn't mind a rental at the trade deadline, on the cheap. But going after Richards will cost us way too much. I really see no way Richards comes here.

Our young core are showing signs. AA n Step might be a bit inconsistent, but when they have good games, they look great! I see nothing but great things up the middle, and I'm willing to let it ride and see where it takes us. And I believe Slats n Torts feel the same.

As long as the team continues to have success, this would be the best course of action.

Of note we are scoring up the middle this year. Boyle (12), AA (9), Step (8), EC (6).

If you discount Crosby and Stamkos (who is listed as a center), Kesler is next with 15 goals.

Last edited by ohbaby: 12-17-2010 at 05:07 AM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:38 AM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
i think we keep winning.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:55 AM
Blueshirt Special
HFBoards Sponsor

I'd prefer to run with this squad in tact. Playoff experience is what we want for these guys now.

Sat's game against philthy will actually give us some idea as to what expect from this team should we make the playoffs.

There is no way the flyers will lay down against us at home, they will go hard and run Henrik as well as the score if we let them.

If we play them tough, even in a loss, I will take it as a good sign.

I just hope there aer no injuries from the goonage.

Blueshirt Special is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 06:00 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
It's becoming pretty apparent that the Blueshirts have a pretty good team this year. They work hard, are never out of a game, score goals at a 3+ goals per game pace, and have maybe the best goaltending tandem in the league. So what do you do if YOU were GM?

Do you ship out some young parts for a guy like Richards, who might be able to put you over the top?

Do you stay with the plan and let this current team play it out... with the knowledge that you are not an elite team talent-wise?

My opinion: I love the makeup and work ethic of this team; still, I would highlight a package deal for a true top line center with a guy like Anisimov. I love the kid, but it looks like there is no team in the West that really intimidates you, and the two most threatening teams in the conference are in your own division. That means it's very likely that in the playoffs you would only have to beat ONE of them in a 7 games series... something that is incredibly feasible.

So Ranger fans, what do you think?
If Sather has a chance to trade for a 30/31 year old first line center in Brad Richards, he has to look into this. Getting Richards could possible make this team one of the favorites to win a championship. This is what it is all about.

I feel there is a very slight risk that Richards would not sign a UFA contract with Rangers. He would see what a true professional organization this is and would be playing with a super star in Gaborik.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 06:09 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Not another Brad Richards thread

This is another Heatley and Kovalchuk situation when everyone focused so much attention on these players and they didn't end up here. Bryan Murray had no other choice but to trade Heatley to the Rangers for Rozsival and Zherdev. Kovalchuk was destined to be a Ranger because he's Russian and all Russian players want to play close to Brighton Beach. Blah,Blah.

People need to take a chill pill and relax.

Trade Anisimov? The OP doesn't realize Torts has already labeled AA as a core player. The Rangers aren't trading him for a rental people. Come on.

You're never as good when you're winning and you're never as bad when you're losing.

Happy medium.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 06:41 AM
DutchShamrock

We're not ready. Nobody wins in their first year of contention. Make your run however deep this season and load up next year or the following. This year is about experience and learning. Besides, every 6 weeks it's like we acquire someone new when guys come off of IR.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 07:39 AM
bumrusherer

I am not against bringing in anyone that could help push this team to the next level, but like others have said for a long time now. You have to keep the pieces that make this team what it currently is.
I know that you have to give something in order to get something but I would rather keep the young pieces we have contributing at the moment, than sell them off and maybe set us back for the long term.

Guys like Anisimov and Dubi would probably be held in high regard around the league. But neither are anywhere near to their ceiling, IMO and because of that, I'd really like to keep them.

bumrusherer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 07:40 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthJerseyRanger View Post
It's becoming pretty apparent that the Blueshirts have a pretty good team this year. They work hard, are never out of a game, score goals at a 3+ goals per game pace, and have maybe the best goaltending tandem in the league. So what do you do if YOU were GM?

Do you ship out some young parts for a guy like Richards, who might be able to put you over the top?

Do you stay with the plan and let this current team play it out... with the knowledge that you are not an elite team talent-wise?

My opinion: I love the makeup and work ethic of this team; still, I would highlight a package deal for a true top line center with a guy like Anisimov. I love the kid, but it looks like there is no team in the West that really intimidates you, and the two most threatening teams in the conference are in your own division. That means it's very likely that in the playoffs you would only have to beat ONE of them in a 7 games series... something that is incredibly feasible.

So Ranger fans, what do you think?

No need to break anything up right now. For what? The Rangers are on pace for a 100-plus point season, and we have all seen teams like them make surprise runs in the playoffs.

The whole purpose of a rebuild isnt to suck for a few seasons, then unload assets to win a round or two. You want your young guys to learn how to become consistently good, not flashes in the pan.

My idea: Use the Islander and Quebec method. If you have young players who are on the cusp of stardom, other young players become expendable. Let's not forget that Quebec traded back-to back-to back 1st overall picks (Sundin, Nolan, Lindros) and the best young goalie prospect in the NHL to get the pieces necessary to win the cup.

Difference is that both Quebec and the Isles had a couple of elite seasons that proved to their respective GM's that they were very close to winning a Cup.

The Rangers are most certainly not there yet.I would wait for back to back 100-point seasons with the current group (give or take some minor changes) before going after a big gun.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 07:55 AM
JimmyStart*

Lots of people with great points. B.R. isn't available to us specifically right now and isn't really available, period. If we get him it should be the summer.

I WOULD trade homegrown players but it'd have to be a huge deal. Like one of malkin, Crosby or Ovie...though Malkin hasn't been good and is injured but future wise that'd be huge. Also depends how many players we trade, etc too many hypotehticals and speculation. SO I'll just say wait till the summer.

THIS team is what's doing so good. I thought NEXT year is when they'd do what they're doing now but color me ecstatic. Add to it without subtracting from it and it's easy to believe there's a champion there. A vet D-man. Another youngster or two like MZA who's proven he's got the talent. B.R. is of course an option.

Still Dubs has a perenial 60-70 pt ceiling. Artie has about 50-70. I think they can reach that within two years. For me that improvement alone combined with whatw e have now is enough to be a contender. Add Stepan, Staal, Girardi< Sauer, hopefully MDZ all improving. Cally, Hank, gabs. Dunno how many times I;'ve said it but now more than ever it SEEMS the future as bright as it ever has.

Helps that Torts is coaching the type of philosphy that goes very well with a cap era.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 08:25 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Stick with the kids. Most of us have been praying for this type of team to arrive, and now that it has, I see no reason to change it. This team is playing fantastic hockey, and while I don't see us as a cup contender yet, I think this type of club can do a lot of damage in the playoffs.

Fold a guy like Kreider and one of Grachev/MZA into the top-six over the next year, and I really like our chances.

Kreider - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubi - Artie - MZA/Callahan/Grachev

I think that's potentially a very deep top-six.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 08:26 AM
mullichicken25

I'll repeat the obvious: stay the course

furthermore...we shouldnt be looking at much of an overhaul this offseason either

putting in Richards (hopefully)
replaceing Frolov, EC, and maybe Feds (hopefully from within)
moving and replacing rosi (again hopefully from within)

Our biggest priority should be resigning our guys, followed by singing richards

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

They've played well against top teams lately. I'd like to see how they fare right now against the middle-tier like Atlanta, TB, Boston, Montreal, etc. Those are the teams we are going to have to stay ahead of because I think no matter what may be happening now, Philly, Washington, and Pitt will all finish ahead of the Rangers (along with the winner of the Northeast). I feel like when its all said and done, 5 is going to be the best we could finish at.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 08:54 AM
ecemleafs

we're 4th in the NHL in points and 5th in the eastern conference standings lol.

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 08:56 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post

potentially 5 of 6 top 6 players home grown, whod of though it.

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 08:58 AM
NYROrtsFan

I would not mess with our 6 defensemen. It makes little sense, but even Eminger has been very good. And Rozy is probably having his best pure defensive year as a Ranger. Even made a few hits last night that just blew me away. But the 6 we have been consistently going with show too much chemistry and good play to rock that boat.

The only areas that you maybe consider changes at would involve the forwards, but even with them I'm cautious. Plus, we have guys coming back from injury. I really think Vinny Prospal is going to do some good things.

And I'd hate to mess with that locker room too. All the guys clearly have something going. Even when Christensen made that stupid call out in the media about Avery, Sean still jumped someone who hit Christ the very next game. Just says a lot...

Plus, I said it before, I think we have a good coach. I thought we had one in Renney too, and we certainly do with Torts.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:03 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

dumb question, idk why i dont know this but the conference goes by the top 4 teams being their division leader right? and the rest are the teams with the most points,thats how were in 5th???

Old
12-17-2010, 09:08 AM
ecemleafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 View Post
dumb question, idk why i dont know this but the conference goes by the top 4 teams being their division leader right? and the rest are the teams with the most points,thats how were in 5th???
top 3 teams are the division leaders.

philly
wash
northeast leader
pitt
rangers

ecemleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:17 AM
Barnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Don't move Ani.

When he's on his game, he looks Datsyukian at times.
I want what you've been smoking... I like Anisimov, but he's not in the same zip code as Datsyuk..

Barnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:23 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby View Post
I want what you've been smoking... I like Anisimov, but he's not in the same zip code as Datsyuk..
Kids got some skill, some untapped skill. Those last two wrist shot goals were quite something, and hes only getting better. Not saying i expect him to turn into datsyuk but if he can score the spectaculer goals he does at times consistently dont count him out, when hes on hes on.

Old
12-17-2010, 09:28 AM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Stay the course. No big trades during the season.

Re-sign Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, and Sauer long term.

Re-sign Boyle and Eminger short term.

Sign Kreider, Werek, and Hagelin to Pro contracts.

Trade Rozsival (somewhat reluctantly considering how well he's playing) on day one of the draft. Accumulate draft picks. Draft from our position (don't move up or down). This move is to acquire cap space.

Waive Redden, Boogaard, and Christensen and demote them to Hartford. Again, to acquire cap space.

Sign Brad Richards on July 1st. Approximately 5yrs/35mil 7mil cap hit.

Sign a cheap left-handed veteran defenseman to a 1yr deal.

Re-sign both Prospal(if he shows he can still contribute) and Fedotenko.

See if Gilroy wants to hang around as 7th defenseman, if not look for a couple more cheap veteran defensemen for camp-invites on try-outs. Let a big battle for 2 spots on D take its course (McDonagh, Valentenko, Kundratek, Gilroy?, vets).

Kreider. Richards. Gaborik
Dubinsky. Stepan. Callahan
Werek. Anisimov. Drury
Avery. Boyle. Prust

Fedotenko, Prospal

Staal. Girardi
Del Zotto. Sauer
*______. Eminger

Gilroy/vet

Lundqvist
Biron

*signed veteran LHD, or one of McDonagh(L)/Valentenko(L)/Kundratek(R)

Keep the core, keep the youth, keep the draft picks, keep building a winning selfless team-first culture.

That's what I'd do.
I like this plan a lot. The only thing I would surmise could, or should be different, is if MZA continues producing in the AHL, he will take one of Kreider or Werek's place. At least for next year. I am hoping to hell Kreider has a disgustingly awesome camp and gets himself a roster spot, but I don't foresee both of them getting on the team next year.

I guess we will see!

12-17-2010, 09:32 AM
Blue Blooded

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Stick with the kids. Most of us have been praying for this type of team to arrive, and now that it has, I see no reason to change it. This team is playing fantastic hockey, and while I don't see us as a cup contender yet, I think this type of club can do a lot of damage in the playoffs.

Fold a guy like Kreider and one of Grachev/MZA into the top-six over the next year, and I really like our chances.

Assuming Kreider and MZA are ready for top 6 duties next year and our young defence continues to perform I really like the look of the team.

Code:
Kreider     Stepan    Gaborik
Dubinsky Anisimov  Zuccarello
Boyle        Drury     Callahan
Avery    Christensen  Prust

Staal        Girardi
    Del Zotto    Rozsival
     Eminger      Sauer

Lundqvist
               Biron
Switch Boyle or Drury with Christensen or Avery if you want a softer pair of hands on the third line.

Last edited by Blue Blooded: 12-17-2010 at 10:13 AM.
Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:55 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
The team's success only makes it more imperative that they find a way to get Richards. Now (meaning this deadline or the summer) is the time. Add the missing piece of the puzzle, or at least the biggest missing piece. With Richards, this team becomes very dangerous, and Gaborik becomes a bigger factor.
Agreed. Richards is literally the only player I would not be hesitant to add to our forward corps. It's either Richards or no forwards come trade deadline for me. The entire forward group has such great chemistry, adding a winger, or another 2nd tier center could throw everything off.

That's why I advocate picking up another d-man on the cheap at the deadline. We have 2 2nd rounders this year and we could package one with a mid-tier prospect and solidify our D for the PO's.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 10:35 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Kreider Richards Gaborik
Dubinsky Anisimov Zuccarello/Grachev
Drury Stepan Callahan
Avery Boyle Prust
Boogey, Christ/Feds

Staal Burns