HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

What can our lineup look like next year

Old
12-16-2010, 01:21 PM
DPSNAGS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
Why do so many people not want Grabner back? I'd be willing to bring him back for another year he's been fairly solid.
i want him back...im still shocked he hasnt been moved onto jts line...IMO him and JT are the only forwards doing anything right now...i want him back another year

i see the forwards as JT, KO, Moulson, bailey, nielsen, nino, comeau, martin, hunter, konopka, ullstrom/rhaksani, maybe our draft pick if its a forward

defense: streit, macdonald, de haan, hamonic, eaton, mottau, top 5 pick id its a dman

goalies dp, poulin

i want the isles to sign a veteran center and winger...a guy like arnott, jason williams who can provide leadership for our forwards....i woodnt mind keeping ullstrom/rhaksanni in bp for one more year nd comeau/martin/hunter could battle for the last spot if we sign a solid ufa

i also think poulin should stay down in bp but knowing us hell come up, we should sign a vet for 1 more year but well see

DPSNAGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:34 PM
Dan-o16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
Overpaying, on a short term deal, could be the very definition of acting wisely. For years we have heard Snow talk about how cap space is an asset. So use it. If this team could add 2 legit 25 goal scorers and a solid second pairing dman, does it matter how much it costs for one year? Is there anything else that the team will be doing with the cap space?
All other things being equal, you are absolutely correct that this is the right way to do things. But all things are not equal. After all, why would a player sign short term with the Isles for a showcase if they know they'll be surrounded with a bunch of kids and nobodies? How can they showcase themselves in that situation? If they want to showcase, get a short-term deal with a contender. You want the scent of winning on you as a free agent, not the scent of decomposition.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 01:57 PM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
But the idea is to turn this joke into a serious club. If we don't start acting smart, we will remain "the stupid club."

If you hold onto smart business as a core principal, it may take time but players and agents will see and respect that. If we want the next Satan to get overpaid, we're going nowhere and not signing anyone better than the player willing to take the money.

And there are fewer and fewer of those guys every year.
The team will look smart when it starts winning. And that won't happen without a couple of vets coming in and helping the kids develop.

(btw, I think we can all agree that spending money on a coach with a proven track record would be one way to gain credibility, but I also think we can all agree that won't happen)

Remember this article from over the summer:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...aining-content

So some of the agents already thought Snow was smart and good at his job. Hasn't helped.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Kevin27nyi
Global Moderator
Captain Tavares

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetterberg40 View Post
Start from the blue-line out... Giving an outsiders take on your situation because i'm bored and it will be interesting.

Draft Larsson, sign a forward to help Tavares, don't draft another forward.

De Haan, Larsson, Streit, Eaton, MacDonald, Hamonic.. That's a strong top 6. If Larsson doesn't come over then you sign a top 4 guy shrot-term.

with adding in Nino and maybe another kid, the offense will get stronger.

Adding some Vets would help. I'd look at Tanguay (could be cheap and your kid's need someone with cup experience), Chris Clark (cheap, bottom line guy), John Madden, Steve Begin, Jason Arnott, Nik Zherdev.. just some names.

I'd try to go after a few...

Neiderreiter - Tavares - Okposo
Zherdev- Bailey - Comeau
Nielsen - Arnott - Grabner

that wouldn't be a bad top 9, provides a player with cup experience, vet presence and size. Zherdev will be looking for a pay day, somewhere he can play a lot more and he's got sick potential to rebound and become a 60 point guy. If you can sign more vets for the 4th pairing then it makes you more competitive.
i doubt zherdev and arnott sign here. but for ***** and giggles, if the isles were able to draw in a tier 1/2 guy, such as jussi jokinen id be ecstatic. which, is pretty sad.

moulson-tavares-okposo
jussi jokinen-bailey-grabner
nino-nielsen-joensuu
hunter-konopka-martin
scratches:i do like a guy like begin or clark for depth. so they can be filled in here.
possible call-ups: rhakashani, ullstrom, cizikas i suppose.

streit-macdonald
martinek-eaton
hamonic-de haan
scratches:mottau, jurcina
possible call-ups: katic, reese, kohn

I dont know who they will pick, and you can guess the re-signs.

overall? meh. lots of rookies, which i dont like. id rather have de haan spend the year in the ahl personally, so you can fill mottau in there and have de haan as a possible call up. the forwards are ridiculously young. that blows. who knows how it will turn out? probably worse then this which is extremely sad.

Kevin27nyi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:00 AM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
Draft: Adam Larsson

Move Tavares to RW.

RFA

Okposo: Resign
Bailey: Resign
Joensuu: Resign
Grabner: GTFO
Schremp :GTFO
Comeau: GTFO
Gervais: GTFO
Hillen: GTFO
Reese: GTFO

UFA

Moulson: Resign
Weight: GTFO
Konopka: Resign
Parentau: GTFO
Sim: GTFO
Gillies: GTFO
Wizniewski: Resign
Martinek: GTFO
Jurcina: GTFO
Roloson: GTFO

Buy Out: Rick Dipietro
Sign: Alexander Semin or Ville Lieno & Vokoun

LW Semin/Lieno C Bailey RW Tavares
LW Moulson C Nielson RW Okposo
LW Joensuu C Cizikas RW El Nino
LW Martin C Konopka RW Hunter

LD Sreit RD Wiz
LD Eaton RD Larsson
LD Macdonald RD Hamonic

G Vokoun
G Poulin

Some changes.

Hire: Bob Hartley
Draft: Sean Couturier

RFA

Grabner: Resign
Schremp: GTFO

UFA

Gillies: Resign
Jurcina: Resign

Buy Out: Rick Dipietro (Won't ever happen so forget about it.)
Sign: Alexander Semin, Kevin Bieska & Peter Budaj

LW Semin C Couturier RW Tavares
LW Moulson C Bailey RW Okposo
LW El Nino C Nielson RW Grabner
Joensuu/Gillies

LD Sreit RD Bieska
LD Eaton RD Wiz
LD Macdonald RD Hamonic
De Haan/Jurcina

G Dipietro
G Budaj

Wow, that actually looks really good, 7th seed good.

Last edited by Paulinho: 12-17-2010 at 02:27 AM.
Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:34 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Semin will not sign here, unless we sign Fedorov 1st....

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 01:58 AM
NYI Win

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
Semin will not sign here, unless we sign Fedorov 1st....
Unless we offer him $10m a year.

NYI Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 06:20 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI Win View Post
Unless we offer him $10m a year.
Even then I doubt it. He'll work something out with GMGM that keeps him with his bestfriend for a long time. It could be a 1 year deal for something ridic and then a 2nd longer term, less money deal. I'd like to have him here, but theres no chance he leaves the caps.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 07:06 AM
frankieboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristotle View Post
Some changes.

Hire: Bob Hartley
Draft: Sean Couturier

RFA

Grabner: Resign
Schremp: GTFO

UFA

Gillies: Resign
Jurcina: Resign

Buy Out: Rick Dipietro (Won't ever happen so forget about it.)
Sign: Alexander Semin, Kevin Bieska & Peter Budaj

LW Semin C Couturier RW Tavares
LW Moulson C Bailey RW Okposo
LW El Nino C Nielson RW Grabner
Joensuu/Gillies

LD Sreit RD Bieska
LD Eaton RD Wiz
LD Macdonald RD Hamonic
De Haan/Jurcina

G Dipietro
G Budaj

Wow, that actually looks really good, 7th seed good.
I like a lot of what you have to say. I don't think it will be feasible to replace so many players and I doubt many/any of those players would come here. But, I like your plan. Just curious...what prompted your change (e.g., Grabner gone at first but now he stays; Gillies gone at first but now he stays)? Personally, I don't think either guy is this team's problem. I see that they are each flawed and are not perfect players. I think Grabner has shown enough, assuming he continues to improve, to deserve another shot next year. I like the toughness that Gillies brings to the team, and I see that his teammates obviously appreciate what he does (this means a hell of a lot more to me than some guys who just don't like him because he has no talent...his teammates, who know more than us, think he belongs and serves a role...there are plenty of quotes where guys like Tavares, Konopka, Martin, etc. compliment him and say good things about him being on the team...also, I don't think I've ever seen so many teammates go to the penalty box to fist bump a guy who just got into a fight...the team genuinely likes what Gillies brings even if it escapes the notice of many guys on this list). With all this said, I support the blue, white and orange. If it makes the team better, I don't care who they get rid of.

frankieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 01:33 PM
Paulinho
No Man's Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankieboy View Post
I like a lot of what you have to say. I don't think it will be feasible to replace so many players and I doubt many/any of those players would come here. But, I like your plan. Just curious...what prompted your change (e.g., Grabner gone at first but now he stays; Gillies gone at first but now he stays)? Personally, I don't think either guy is this team's problem. I see that they are each flawed and are not perfect players. I think Grabner has shown enough, assuming he continues to improve, to deserve another shot next year. I like the toughness that Gillies brings to the team, and I see that his teammates obviously appreciate what he does (this means a hell of a lot more to me than some guys who just don't like him because he has no talent...his teammates, who know more than us, think he belongs and serves a role...there are plenty of quotes where guys like Tavares, Konopka, Martin, etc. compliment him and say good things about him being on the team...also, I don't think I've ever seen so many teammates go to the penalty box to fist bump a guy who just got into a fight...the team genuinely likes what Gillies brings even if it escapes the notice of many guys on this list). With all this said, I support the blue, white and orange. If it makes the team better, I don't care who they get rid of.
The reason why i wanted Grabner gone is because he is one dimensional. When healthy & assuming we draft a forward & sign a top six forward he has little chance of seeing a top six role. That's not even counting Petrov. Grabner on a shut down third line is not ideal. He has impressed at times with his top flight speed. Bringing him back would be cheap & add some depth in case a top six guy gets hurt. Plus a Nino Nielsen Grabs third line is very intriguing from an offensive perspective, lots of potential.

Gillies has been fun to watch this year & i shouldn't have given him the GTFO in the first place. Switched Larsson for Couturier because of my desire to move Tavares to the wing.

Paulinho is offline   Reply With Quote