"Wild, one point from dead last[...], finds new way to shoot self in foot"

Old
12-17-2010, 11:05 AM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
"Wild, one point from dead last[...], finds new way to shoot self in foot"

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wi...GOiic_i_yE:aiU

This might be the most openly negative post I've ever seen out of Russo. (He's completely right, by the way; it's just surprising that for once Russo's Rants are...well, rants.)

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:16 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

vCash: 50
Good article.

I think he's just being realistic about it. The Wild are playing uninspired hockey right now and he's calling them out on it. Hopefully someone in the organization is doing/will do the same thing.

Engebretson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:23 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

The worst thing I can say is that my frustration has been replaced by apathy. Not really watching games, not really excited/worried/whatever. Just not caring. And for a guy who's as big a fan as I am, what does that say about the casual fan?

The thing that pisses me off is that the Wild has been sucking for well over a month, just getting worse and worse in the standings, and nothing is being done. Koivu is still with Bruno and Miettinen. There have been no trades. The D pairings are still the same. No big callups or send-downs. Just complacency.

Here's the best part: the Wild could finish dead last in the conference and still not get a lottery pick! Isles are at 17 points, no catching them, Devils have 20 points, they'll likely be a basement team. From there, Florida, Toronto, Edmonton, Buffalo, and Minnesota are all four points apart from 26-30. It's entirely possible Florida at Toronto keep sucking and Edmonton and Minnesota do better than Buffalo and we'll still end up picking 6th or 7th. One more reason tanking doesn't work.

Richards needs to go, right now. Let's see if he's the problem or the players. It's obvious he's not the right coach, but before the team gets blown up, see who's worth keeping.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:36 AM
Engebretson
Another GopherClone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
The worst thing I can say is that my frustration has been replaced by apathy. Not really watching games, not really excited/worried/whatever. Just not caring. And for a guy who's as big a fan as I am, what does that say about the casual fan?

The thing that pisses me off is that the Wild has been sucking for well over a month, just getting worse and worse in the standings, and nothing is being done. Koivu is still with Bruno and Miettinen. There have been no trades. The D pairings are still the same. No big callups or send-downs. Just complacency.

Here's the best part: the Wild could finish dead last in the conference and still not get a lottery pick! Isles are at 17 points, no catching them, Devils have 20 points, they'll likely be a basement team. From there, Florida, Toronto, Edmonton, Buffalo, and Minnesota are all four points apart from 26-30. It's entirely possible Florida at Toronto keep sucking and Edmonton and Minnesota do better than Buffalo and we'll still end up picking 6th or 7th. One more reason tanking doesn't work.

Richards needs to go, right now. Let's see if he's the problem or the players. It's obvious he's not the right coach, but before the team gets blown up, see who's worth keeping.
You're right. I was watching the game last night and more people were cheering for the San Diego/San Fransisco football game than the Wild game, it was very sad.

It's obvious the team needs a shake-up. Fletch has been talking about it for awhile and he needs to pull the trigger.

Maybe that shake-up happens this weekend with the Holiday Roster Freeze?

Engebretson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:52 AM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

As much as I want him gone...

last night was not Richards' fault.

having that goal taken away (rightfully so) killed the team. i have absolutely no idea why there wasn't more anger about that from this roster. i mean... us fans were pissed. we were still "in" the game even after the Sens scored right away after that.

it wasn't until we started seeing the **** effort on the ice where we got really, really restless...

this team is acting like a bunch of concussed pansy *****. sorry, but if i get smacked in the face (literally or figuratively) i get angry. i don't go into a corner and cry. this team? went into a corner to cry last night.

Koivu needs to get a spine. His post-game interview was more like a whiney, snot nosed punk kid making excuses. Brodziak fell on the sword pretty hard, and I gotta admire the kid for that.

no heart. no heart at all.

If this is what we are going to get from our 7 million per year captain... trade him. get him outta here. give the team to Havlat for a couple of years... package all of the effin Finns together and take on some other teams albatross contracts.

</endrant>

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:07 PM
BamBam

hard to make chicken salad out of chicken...

the saying is true.
can't make chicken salad out of chicken stomach.
or something like that.

wild lost their only uber-elite year before last. gaborik.
havlat is ok but not uber ok. only ok.
wild also lost their top goal guy this season.
latendresse.
and his 25 g's.
between the two.
loss of at least 40 red lamps.

hence: can't make chicken salad. need goals for that.
tr's fault? or cf's fault? or neither?

wild also have lost their youth.
brunette is old. and looks old. and apathetic.
madden is old. and looks old. and fragile.
cullen is old. and looks old. and fragile.

hence: can't make chicken salad. need young chicken meat for that.
tr's fault? or cf's fault? or neither?

but.
wild haven't lost team toughness.
or should i say.
their potential team toughness.
they have refused to be tough as they could be. as they should be.
why is big bad kassian riding bus back in houston?
why is baby face spurgeon playing ahead of bagnall the beast on d?
why is no score-nystrom always in the lineup?
tr's fault? or cf's fault? or neither?. or both?

wild do not have a full chicken coop.
unbelievable.
for a pro team.
one would expect a full rooster roster.
tr's fault? or cf's faulth? or the owner's fault? or all three?

BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:21 PM
walloftvs

We need some goon from the 'nucks to chop out Koivu's leg again. After he came back (and scored against them) was about the only time I've ever seen any type of emotion from the slug.

The Wild have taken on the personality of it's coach and captain......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

walloftvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:24 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I don't buy that the roster isn't great though. We have quality players, they're just been playing like ****. Koivu, Bruno, Nystrom, Kobasew, Barker, Zanon, Backstrom...they've all been way off their games for much of the season. Havlat, Bouchard, Burns, and Clutterbuck have been fantastic. Everyone else is just meh.

How can you not put some blame on TR though for keeping that "top line" together? Why is Brunette 3rd in even strength ice time? I realize our depth guys like O'Sullivan, Clutterbuck, Brodziak, and Kobasew aren't the best, but seriously, MAKE A CHANGE.

Old
12-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
I don't buy that the roster isn't great though.
I wouldn't say great but certainly much better than they show. Consistent effort and a little mental toughness would go a long way with this team.

Quote:
We have quality players, they're just been playing like ****. Koivu, Bruno, Nystrom, Kobasew, Barker, Zanon, Backstrom...they've all been way off their games for much of the season.
Why though? Is it simply effort, belief in their coach/systems, are they really quality players?

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 01:32 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Well, Koivu was a quality player until this year.

Bruno's getting old, just getting played too much.

Nystrom had 11 goals and 19 points last year and I think he has three points right now and 1 empty net goal.

Kobasew had over 40 goals and over 80 points in his last two seasons with Boston (didn't come close to 82 games either seen too) and has two measly points right now.

Barker had 40 points a couple years back and has what, four points right now?

Backstrom was a Vezina finalist two years ago and was top five in stats until Richards came along.

Zanon was great last year but with Wilson telling guys to get out of the way of shots he doesn't seem to do much well outside of the PK.

So I'm seeing 1/3 of the roster underachieving pretty badly, about half the roster doing okay, and 3 or 4 guys playing really well. Yeah you can't blame the coach, but it's not like he's scheming up some systems that are keeping the games close. And nobody seems to want to play anymore, yet he makes zero adjustments to their ice time and linemates. Poor bench management.

Old
12-17-2010, 01:38 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I have this friend who absolutely *hates* Backstrom...

Frankly, he's gotten to the point of sounding like a bad and annoying broken record that skips and skips and skips playing the same screeching section over and over again...

My typical response is; "Todd Richards and this roster can make the best goalies look bad and the worst goalies look great."

Take the best goalies in the league right now, and put a Wild sweater on them... They'd look like ass.
Take the worst goalies in the league and put them in the opponent sweater, and they'll look like Vezina calibre material.

Old
12-17-2010, 01:53 PM
BuddyMcCormick

vCash: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post
I have this friend who absolutely *hates* Backstrom...

Frankly, he's gotten to the point of sounding like a bad and annoying broken record that skips and skips and skips playing the same screeching section over and over again...

My typical response is; "Todd Richards and this roster can make the best goalies look bad and the worst goalies look great."

Take the best goalies in the league right now, and put a Wild sweater on them... They'd look like ass.
Take the worst goalies in the league and put them in the opponent sweater, and they'll look like Vezina calibre material.
Pot calling the kettle black? lol

BuddyMcCormick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 02:30 PM
nickschultzfan

It's because we don't have Lats, or a player like him. A clutch goal scorer. How many games did Lats win for us last season? Or Gaborik before that? Who the hell on this team is going to score? Nobody. That's who.

And because of that, everbody below Lats/Gaborik on the "clutch-scoring scale of the Wild" gets pushed up a slot, a slot that they aren't good at filling.

So yes, we aren't that bad of a team. But with no go-to guy, we are a go-nowhere team.

Time to start praying that a sniper just falls into our lap. Like the Devils hitting the panic button and thinking Kovalchuk is another Olli Jokinen.

nickschultzfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 02:44 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

Strip Koivu of the "C"...see if the players respond then. This team shouldn't be this bad. There is talent. I don't think they buy into the system. Something isn't right here.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 02:48 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

The forecheck has completely disappeared. They used to send 2 I thought and now its only 1 guy. They're back in the trap now to me. All 4 guys are waiting in the neutral zone. I don't think anyone knows what they're doing management wise let alone coaching wise with the systems. Players are probably confused. It seems like last year to me.

Old
12-17-2010, 02:55 PM
walloftvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
It's because we don't have Lats, or a player like him. A clutch goal scorer. How many games did Lats win for us last season? Or Gaborik before that? Who the hell on this team is going to score? Nobody. That's who.

And because of that, everbody below Lats/Gaborik on the "clutch-scoring scale of the Wild" gets pushed up a slot, a slot that they aren't good at filling.

So yes, we aren't that bad of a team. But with no go-to guy, we are a go-nowhere team.

Time to start praying that a sniper just falls into our lap. Like the Devils hitting the panic button and thinking Kovalchuk is another Olli Jokinen.
Imagine if we replaced Brodziak with a sniper to put between Havlat and PMB?

walloftvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 02:56 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engebretson View Post
You're right. I was watching the game last night and more people were cheering for the San Diego/San Fransisco football game than the Wild game, it was very sad.

It's obvious the team needs a shake-up. Fletch has been talking about it for awhile and he needs to pull the trigger.

Maybe that shake-up happens this weekend with the Holiday Roster Freeze?
It takes two to tango.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildisLaw View Post
Strip Koivu of the "C"...see if the players respond then. This team shouldn't be this bad. There is talent. I don't think they buy into the system. Something isn't right here.
And give it to who?

"Will beats skill when skill doesn't have enough will."
-Doug Woog
1974 1976 1979 2002 2003 2014?
GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:13 PM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

It would be a temporary thing. I'm just trying to get some emotion out of the team. I don't know who just somebody who is very vocal and will keep players in line. At what point do the players take initiative here and will victories? If you don't have skill, you better outwork your opponent every night. Something that this team never does. Where is the ******* heart?

Old
12-17-2010, 03:27 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
And give it to who?
If they really wanted to send a message they'd leave the position vacant.

llamapalooza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:28 PM
nickschultzfan

Push the talent up and aging vets down.

As an intitial matter, I would stop playing Brunette and Miettinen on the first line. Havlat-Koivu-Bouchard. Start there. Get at least one line producing.

Then, I would keep give minutes to guys with offensive skills, but who haven't been given big minutes yet (because those minutes were going to Burnette and Miettinen), namely, Kobasew, Cullen, and O'Sullivan. Give those guys 2nd line minutes.

After that, create a 3rd line out of guys who at least work hard and who can maybe create some offense as well, Clutterbuck, Brodziak, and Miettinen.

Finally, make a 4th line of the non-producing vets, Brunette, Madden, and Nystrom. All of whom I would try to trade away to make room for kids who will skate and forecheck.

Havlat-Koivu-Bouchard
Kobasew-Cullen-O'Sullivan
Clutterbuck-Brodziak-Miettinen
Bruno-Madden-Nystrom

Old
12-17-2010, 03:32 PM
nickschultzfan

And yes, I suggested the Wild get rid of the "character" guys. If Fletcher doesn't want to get rid of them, that's fine, but Richards need to put those guys on the 4th line.

Old
12-17-2010, 03:43 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinneWildSota View Post
Pot calling the kettle black? lol
Yeah... I'm so harsh that all I do is type <insert #FireToddRichards rant here>

Old
12-17-2010, 03:48 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Color me corrected, by the way...

Bouchard has been playing left wing and looking marvelous doing it. Although, in my defense, I'm not entirely sure that he and Havlat don't switch it up all the time as it's about 50/50 on which side of the ice you will see them on at any given time.

I loved the Brodziak goal last night. I don't know what it looked like on TV, but from the over head, it looked like Brodz had his stick in the air and the puck was fired *at* the stick hoping for the deflection...

Sort of like a "just stand there, we'll deflect it in off of you" moment...

Old
12-17-2010, 03:50 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapalooza View Post
If they really wanted to send a message they'd leave the position vacant.
The message being that none of you are leaders?

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:57 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Message = The position is vacant. Step up and claim it.