HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Avery really be our All-Star rep this year?

View Poll Results: Should Avery be the Rangers' 2011 All-Star?
Yes 38 45.78%
No 45 54.22%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old
12-17-2010, 11:19 AM
asparkoflife

vCash: 500
Absolutely not.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Hockey Team
Hunger Force

vCash: 50
Yes to Avery.

Why? Because the ASG is a massive joke. They had to put in penalties for skipping the game to strong arm players into going to it. When the real all stars don't even want to go what does that say about the game?

Hockey Team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:39 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I think Staal should get in.

Its no secret that I am not Avery's biggest admirer. But I would give just about anything to see the looks on people faces if he got in.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:43 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
I say HELL YES to Sean Avery getting the Nod for this team for 2 Reasons-

1) Like others have said, rest our stars and add flavor to the game

2) For all the people talking about this guy and that guy that have stepped up and deserved it more, I offer this- Multiple times Sean has stepped up for this team, wether it be late season playoff runs, or actual playoff series. How quickly we forget is emasculation of Kovalchuk in our playoff series with Atlanta. His embaressment of Broduer, in the playoffs when it counted most. He plays anywhere the coach puts him and with anyone the coach puts him with and you never here a peep out of his mouth unless he's bad mouthing another team. He continues to be a sparkplug for this team, remember it was Avery, rather uncharacteristically with a heavywieght, dropping the gloves with Asham that got the team going in Pittsburgh the other night, even Keenan pointed it out on air...

Sure, the guy isn't the leagues model of sportsmanship, but I would argue that the slewfoots by crosby/malkin, charges and boardings by ovechkin, elbows by pronger, and on and on, are no better that what Sean does, and he rarely takes a cheapshot that may hurt someone. he is grossly overvilified for his big fat mouth.

I'd have no problem with Sean going to the all-star game, just like I wouldn't mind a guy like Callahan going, even though he doesn't lead the team in scoring or have a flashy game.

And yes, I am absolutely in love with the idea of the big fat NY Ranger style FU it sents to Gary Bettman and the rest of the league!!!!
YEAH!!!!!!!!

Also, what ecemleafs said:
'dont care...all star game voting is a joke as it is anyway. if u want this to be taken seriously and to be an honor dont let the fans vote....wasnt it 2 years ago that the east starting line up was all canadiens?'

There are more deserving Rangers no doubt.
I just want to send our middle finger to the league event. Avery is our middle finger. Watch him do well in the skill comp too LOL

CHGoalie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:57 AM
Katharina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
Watch him do well in the skill comp too LOL
Yeah that's what I was thinking

Katharina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:11 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Why not Avery? We're supposed to have "swagger". He represents that.....

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:33 PM
gmerger37

Every league needs its villain, and at the very least having Avery around AS weekend would spice things up and make it somewhat interesting.

gmerger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:37 PM
JimmyStart*

If the question was "Is Avery an all star" I'd laugh in your face but actually this question is pretty good based on sending a big F U to everyone. This is all based on the fact that asg in general are a joke.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:38 PM
we want cup
Ants in the Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmerger37 View Post
Every league needs its villain, and at the very least having Avery around AS weekend would spice things up and make it somewhat interesting.
It would certainly get more people to tune in.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:42 PM
Killem Dafoe
Global Moderator
Look at this graph.

id pick a few guys over him. i.e. duby gabby cally...id even like to see girardi in there over him

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:53 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmerger37 View Post
Very true. The Canadian media would go bonkers with it.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 01:52 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 1950
I would love to see Avery in the ASG if he isn't the only Ranger in it. But if it is only one Ranger player I will vote Staal.

Kane One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 02:23 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I know based on point totals he's not even close, but Sean is a good Ranger. How often is he the only guy to step up physically when someone runs Hank or takes a shot at one of our guys? Look at his fight the other day--the team needed a spark, so he risked an ass whooping to provide one. I'd rather our other guys have the whole break off to rest...why not send Avery, a guy who really does bust his ass for the team, and piss off the league in the process?

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:07 PM
satrabyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecemleafs View Post
dont care...all star game voting is a joke as it is anyway. if u want this to be taken seriously and to be an honor dont let the fans vote....wasnt it 2 years ago that the east starting line up was all canadiens?
Whats your point Canadiens are still the best NHL players in the world overall. I do agree though fan voting is not always the best method, as in many cases 1 person follows the next and votes based on popularity rather than actucal play. That a prime example of why Avery would have any chance, although i do think hes had a good season so far despite the fact that Torts isnt always fair with him. Saying that i'd rather see Sean there than Gaborik if i had a choice but Dubi, Prust, Cally, Boyle are all above Sean imo. Also Avery has been this team best player many times in the past.

Last edited by satrabyk: 12-17-2010 at 03:12 PM.
satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:15 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I know based on point totals he's not even close, but Sean is a good Ranger. How often is he the only guy to step up physically when someone runs Hank or takes a shot at one of our guys? Look at his fight the other day--the team needed a spark, so he risked an ass whooping to provide one. I'd rather our other guys have the whole break off to rest...why not send Avery, a guy who really does bust his ass for the team, and piss off the league in the process?
My sentiments exactly....

Since the start of the season I've felt like Sean Avery and Brandon Prust are essentially playing the Mr. Hyde, to Dubi and Cally's Dr. Jeykll.

Two young kids stealing everybodys hearts...and two young men stealing souls..

God, move like 3 or 4 guys and I would be absolutely in LOVE with this team. Torts hasn't even really had a meltdown this year so he isn't even bothering me.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 04:46 PM
eco's bones

Why not? The whole all-star game idea is ******** anyway. The NHL feel gooders self promoting themselves and it's always a lousy game--not most times but every time. The pre game competitions are a joke as well. Sean would be almost perfect for it IMO because practically everyone else already hates his guts.

And then again I remember Tomas Sandstrom breaking his leg in one of those games and we've had at least a couple other injuries as well. I'd rather keep our best players out of it.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote