HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dale Weise up from the Whale

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-17-2010, 01:37 PM
  #26
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Long Island
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Think they realized that a while ago but they rather have a vet as the spare then a kid even if it eats up 2.3 million in cap space. Not sure I agree

me likely the Weise call up though. I think this kid can slide into the lineup next yr

I figure guys like Feds, Vinny just walk and they continue the youth with MZA and Weise as everyone is a year older
It makes sense to keep white as the spare because you don't want a kid sitting in the press box for an extended amount of time. The rangers don't care about White and if he sits in 75% of the games.

It situations like these where there will be a number of games that he would have to play, due to injury, that they can call up a youngster and see what he's got.

White sucks, we all know it, but on this years team he is serving his purpose because he can step in, fill a roster spot or sit in the press box without it hurting the future of this team.

Only thing that bothers me with him is his contract. If he was getting paid league minimum, he'd be a damn good guy to have in that position.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 01:43 PM
  #27
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat
 
wolfgaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,050
vCash: 500
I wouldn't get too excited about this call-up... He'll see minimal minutes on the 4th line... You probably won't even notice that he's up.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 02:18 PM
  #28
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨
 
Screw You Rick Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, New NY
Country: United States
Posts: 27,258
vCash: 3000
Claimed him in my deep fantasy league. 20 teams 30 players on a team. Worth a try.

Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 02:23 PM
  #29
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,263
vCash: 500
There are some similarities between Drury and Callahan and some dissimilarities. They're both defensively aware and very good pk'ers--similar size.

The major plus for Drury is he's an above average face-off guy.

The advantages for Callahan--he's younger, faster and a lot more physical.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 02:44 PM
  #30
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent
 
Swept In Seven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country:
Posts: 9,198
vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Yeah Ward, Sjostrom, Hossa, Boyle, Bourret, Lisin all first round pick reclamation projects.

I know i'm forgetting a few.

Anyways, I hope he plays over White. I dont think they call up a younger guy on a hot streak to be a scratch. White doesnt look that comfortable at RW, and I think our PK group is pretty well set without his assistance.

Avery-Christensen-Weise is an odd line, but it could get some chances.
That Jessiman kid was a first rounder too

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:33 PM
  #31
strumwolf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Albany
Posts: 24
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I wouldn't get too excited about this call-up... He'll see minimal minutes on the 4th line... You probably won't even notice that he's up.
I wouldn't be surprised if he is sent back down after the Philly game.

Wasn't too impressed with him the other night at the the ADK vs Connecticut game this past Wednesday.

strumwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:53 PM
  #32
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
This was the right call up.

He brings size, energy, grit, and a straight forward game. And he can contribute offensively, too.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 04:01 PM
  #33
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
People getting down on Weise, no call for it.

He scored 28 goals last year as a 21 year old in Hartford.

And he's producing this year, again, after an injury.

He's a big body, plays a simple game, north-south, hard to the net, hard forecheck.

If he plays with confidence, there's no reason Tortorella won't like him.

He's not going to light the world on fire, but his game should fit in well with this team.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 04:25 PM
  #34
TrueBlueNorwegian
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country: Norway
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Larry Brooks says on his Twitter page that the Recall of Weise is "situational" with game in Philly tomorrow. So i guess Weise is in atleast until after the Philly game and then they will reevaluate.

Though i really think MZA deserves a look, i understand that Weise is a much better fit at least on paper since it is Callahan that he is replacing.

TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 04:25 PM
  #35
rickyrod
Registered User
 
rickyrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: nyc
Country: United States
Posts: 1,294
vCash: 500
I wonder if he is happier to be in the NHL or to not have to wear that God awful uniform for a few days at least?

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 04:46 PM
  #36
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Weise has got 6 goals, 11 points in 12 games.

6-2, 200 lbs

After scoring 28 goals, 50 points last year as a 21 year old, improving by 27 points from the year prior when he was 20.

The kid has the potential to be more then just some second thought 4th line grinder.

MZA is intriguing, yes, but his size won't help us at all.

Weise can score, and he can play a tough physical game too. Like Prust, but with better hands.

If he's give the opportunity to get adjusted to the NHL game, he has the ability to be a part of the core here.

He's being underestimated here, IMO.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 04:49 PM
  #37
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,193
vCash: 500
Here is a case, like Sauer, of an un-heralded prospect, who has done nothing but improve year to year.

I'm anxious to see him play tomorrow.

Hopefully Torts gives him a fair shake. If he does, he will be happy, Weise is his kind of player.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:01 PM
  #38
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?
 
RangerBlue62's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 3,867
vCash: 500
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Gaborik
Avery - Stepan - Drury
Frolov - Boyle - Prust
Fedotenko - EC - Weise

Given how every one is playing right now, this is the most sensible lineup. Maybe Anisimov can get Gaborik going.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:28 PM
  #39
Ola
Registered User
 
Ola's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 17,274
vCash: 500
Weise is actually a really strong skater, and thats basically just about anything he have to bring at this level.

He's a up and down player who got that one ability that potentially can stand out at any level, and thats his drive. I've said that Weise have a shot for a long time, and its nice to see him get a chance.

I can't help to be a little bumbed about MZA not getting the call. Overthinking on behalf of Torts, if you ask me... Weise is not a better hockeyplayer then MZA. He don't fit into our system better then MZA. And he don't fit better into a 4th line then MZA. On paper, that may be the case, but in reality -- I don't buy it. A paper move. Not to take anything away from Weise, but right now I just think MZA had been the better option.

Facts are that our division is weak, any many of the pts we get are due to goaltending or from having marginals on our side lately/getting timely goals et c.. Still, Torts is fighting with tooths and nails to protect the make up of the team with this move, protecting what we have instead of aiming higher. I do not like it.

Its like playing White over MZA to start with. Its a just a chicken move. MZA's size is even worse then White's -- but does that matter one darn bit? Hands up anyone who have seen White win one single physical battle all year? How could MZA's seize be worse then that? And its just BS to talk about MZA needing to build up whatever in the AHL. He needed to get used to the NA game, anything past G20 in the AHL is OT for him. The kid have played 1st line hockey at a high level the last 3-4 years. Nah, not impressed by this move.


Last edited by Ola: 12-17-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:50 PM
  #40
bmoak
Registered User
 
bmoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,394
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Side note: I never realized Jason Ward was picked 11th overall.
Ward was also an AHL MVP with the Hamilton Bulldogs when he was 23.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:58 PM
  #41
JimmyStart*
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,569
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Weise is actually a really strong skater, and thats basically just about anything he have to bring at this level.

He's a up and down player who got that one ability that potentially can stand out at any level, and thats his drive. I've said that Weise have a shot for a long time, and its nice to see him get a chance.

I can't help to be a little bumbed about MZA not getting the call. Overthinking on behalf of Torts, if you ask me... Weise is not a better hockeyplayer then MZA. He don't fit into our system better then MZA. And he don't fit better into a 4th line then MZA. On paper, that may be the case, but in reality -- I don't buy it. A paper move. Not to take anything away from Weise, but right now I just think MZA had been the better option.

Facts are that our division is weak, any many of the pts we get are due to goaltending or from having marginals on our side lately/getting timely goals et c.. Still, Torts is fighting with tooths and nails to protect the make up of the team with this move, protecting what we have instead of aiming higher. I do not like it.

Its like playing White over MZA to start with. Its a just a chicken move. MZA's size is even worse then White's -- but does that matter one darn bit? Hands up anyone who have seen White win one single physical battle all year? How could MZA's seize be worse then that? And its just BS to talk about MZA needing to build up whatever in the AHL. He needed to get used to the NA game, anything past G20 in the AHL is OT for him. The kid have played 1st line hockey at a high level the last 3-4 years. Nah, not impressed by this move.
I dunno i think you're just being biased for MZA and throwing a lot more negative criticism than makes sense here.

I'm DYING to see MZA play but I can still at least see that Weise deserves a call up and that his game fits exactly with what the team is doing right now. MZA is finally hitting his stride in AHL but could probably use another dozen games or so.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 06:23 PM
  #42
The Mouth
Registered User
 
The Mouth's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 848
vCash: 500
Dale is a banger and sticks up for teammates . As one earlier poster said it's a perfect call up.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 06:53 PM
  #43
Brooklyn Ranger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn, of course
Posts: 7,681
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueNorwegian View Post
Larry Brooks says on his Twitter page that the Recall of Weise is "situational" with game in Philly tomorrow. So i guess Weise is in atleast until after the Philly game and then they will reevaluate.

Though i really think MZA deserves a look, i understand that Weise is a much better fit at least on paper since it is Callahan that he is replacing.
Except Weise is not replacing Callahan, he's being called up because Prust is banged up and will play on the 4th line (taking White's spot)--from Andrew Gross and Ranger Rants:

"The Rangers have recalled Dale Weise from Connecticut (AHL) and its very likely the gritty forward will play tomorrow at Philadelphia as the fourth-line right wing. However, it also seems like this may be a one-game call-up specific to facing the physical Flyers.

Coach John Tortorella wanted to make sure he clearly explained why Weise was recalled a day after Tortorella said there was not likely to be any call-ups before the schedule became heavy again starting on Jan. 1, adding, right now, there were not any players considered ready at Connecticut.

This is a different case, Tortorella said.

In that role, its an easier call-up for us, Tortorella said. Hes a guy whos going to bang. I think he can handle that. Were not looking for a guy to get in the top six. This is an easier situation for us right now."

Most likely Weise gets sent back to Hartford after the game.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 06:57 PM
  #44
Loffen
Wen Kroy
 
Loffen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Soft euro
Posts: 17,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple McIlwraath View Post
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Gaborik
Avery - Stepan - Drury
Frolov - Boyle - Prust
Fedotenko - EC - Weise
Yes please.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 07:07 PM
  #45
ColonialsHockey10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 9,414
vCash: 500
I think we're underrating Weise's offensive ability a little. The dude his almost producing at a PPG pace. Could be a good 3rd liner some day.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 02:18 AM
  #46
ohbaby
Registered User
 
ohbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Weise has got 6 goals, 11 points in 12 games.

6-2, 200 lbs

After scoring 28 goals, 50 points last year as a 21 year old, improving by 27 points from the year prior when he was 20.

The kid has the potential to be more then just some second thought 4th line grinder.

MZA is intriguing, yes, but his size won't help us at all.

Weise can score, and he can play a tough physical game too. Like Prust, but with better hands.

If he's give the opportunity to get adjusted to the NHL game, he has the ability to be a part of the core here.

He's being underestimated here, IMO.
I like this post! Like most here, I'm excited to see him play. And don't be fooled. He will see alot more than 4 minutes. Torts uses all 4 lines and if he is as solid as people say, I doubt Gabby will double shift unless we're down. Sounds like he will fit like a T. We can use all the Prusts we can get!

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:38 PM
  #47
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
He's going back to the Whale. A bit unfair because he was more productive then a lot of other guys on the team..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGrossRecord
Tortorella likes what he saw in Dale Weise but Weise headed back to Connecticut (AHL) with Whale playing games tomorrow and Tuesday.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:40 PM
  #48
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 54,867
vCash: 300
I think he's being sent down just to get in some more games, considering we play 2 games in the next 9 days.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:41 PM
  #49
silverfish
Mr. Glass
 
silverfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Standing on a Train
Country: United States
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I think he's being sent down just to get in some more games, considering we play 2 games in the next 9 days.
Why not keep him with the team, let him practice with the big boys? See what he shows against Tampa and then reevaluate.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:43 PM
  #50
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,536
vCash: 500
The Rangers want their younger players playing games. Torts made a point yesterday in his presser after practice about Hartford playing 4 games before the Christmas break while the Rangers playing 2 games. The Whale plays 2 games before the Rangers next game. Weise could be brought back during the roster freeze because he is not on the NHL roster when the freeze begins.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.