HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dale Weise up from the Whale

Old
12-17-2010, 01:37 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Think they realized that a while ago but they rather have a vet as the spare then a kid even if it eats up 2.3 million in cap space. Not sure I agree

me likely the Weise call up though. I think this kid can slide into the lineup next yr

I figure guys like Feds, Vinny just walk and they continue the youth with MZA and Weise as everyone is a year older
It makes sense to keep white as the spare because you don't want a kid sitting in the press box for an extended amount of time. The rangers don't care about White and if he sits in 75% of the games.

It situations like these where there will be a number of games that he would have to play, due to injury, that they can call up a youngster and see what he's got.

White sucks, we all know it, but on this years team he is serving his purpose because he can step in, fill a roster spot or sit in the press box without it hurting the future of this team.

Only thing that bothers me with him is his contract. If he was getting paid league minimum, he'd be a damn good guy to have in that position.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 01:43 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

I wouldn't get too excited about this call-up... He'll see minimal minutes on the 4th line... You probably won't even notice that he's up.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 02:18 PM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Claimed him in my deep fantasy league. 20 teams 30 players on a team. Worth a try.

Screw You Rick Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 02:23 PM
eco's bones

There are some similarities between Drury and Callahan and some dissimilarities. They're both defensively aware and very good pk'ers--similar size.

The major plus for Drury is he's an above average face-off guy.

The advantages for Callahan--he's younger, faster and a lot more physical.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Yeah Ward, Sjostrom, Hossa, Boyle, Bourret, Lisin all first round pick reclamation projects.

I know i'm forgetting a few.

Anyways, I hope he plays over White. I dont think they call up a younger guy on a hot streak to be a scratch. White doesnt look that comfortable at RW, and I think our PK group is pretty well set without his assistance.

Avery-Christensen-Weise is an odd line, but it could get some chances.
That Jessiman kid was a first rounder too

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:33 PM
strumwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
I wouldn't get too excited about this call-up... He'll see minimal minutes on the 4th line... You probably won't even notice that he's up.
I wouldn't be surprised if he is sent back down after the Philly game.

Wasn't too impressed with him the other night at the the ADK vs Connecticut game this past Wednesday.

strumwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:53 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

This was the right call up.

He brings size, energy, grit, and a straight forward game. And he can contribute offensively, too.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 04:01 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

People getting down on Weise, no call for it.

He scored 28 goals last year as a 21 year old in Hartford.

And he's producing this year, again, after an injury.

He's a big body, plays a simple game, north-south, hard to the net, hard forecheck.

If he plays with confidence, there's no reason Tortorella won't like him.

He's not going to light the world on fire, but his game should fit in well with this team.

Old
12-17-2010, 04:25 PM
TrueBlueNorwegian

Larry Brooks says on his Twitter page that the Recall of Weise is "situational" with game in Philly tomorrow. So i guess Weise is in atleast until after the Philly game and then they will reevaluate.

Though i really think MZA deserves a look, i understand that Weise is a much better fit at least on paper since it is Callahan that he is replacing.

TrueBlueNorwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 04:25 PM
rickyrod

I wonder if he is happier to be in the NHL or to not have to wear that God awful uniform for a few days at least?

rickyrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 04:46 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Weise has got 6 goals, 11 points in 12 games.

6-2, 200 lbs

After scoring 28 goals, 50 points last year as a 21 year old, improving by 27 points from the year prior when he was 20.

The kid has the potential to be more then just some second thought 4th line grinder.

MZA is intriguing, yes, but his size won't help us at all.

Weise can score, and he can play a tough physical game too. Like Prust, but with better hands.

If he's give the opportunity to get adjusted to the NHL game, he has the ability to be a part of the core here.

He's being underestimated here, IMO.

Old
12-17-2010, 04:49 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Here is a case, like Sauer, of an un-heralded prospect, who has done nothing but improve year to year.

I'm anxious to see him play tomorrow.

Hopefully Torts gives him a fair shake. If he does, he will be happy, Weise is his kind of player.

Old
12-17-2010, 05:01 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Dubinsky - Anisimov - Gaborik
Avery - Stepan - Drury
Frolov - Boyle - Prust
Fedotenko - EC - Weise

Given how every one is playing right now, this is the most sensible lineup. Maybe Anisimov can get Gaborik going.

RangerBlue62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Ola

Weise is actually a really strong skater, and thats basically just about anything he have to bring at this level.

He's a up and down player who got that one ability that potentially can stand out at any level, and thats his drive. I've said that Weise have a shot for a long time, and its nice to see him get a chance.

I can't help to be a little bumbed about MZA not getting the call. Overthinking on behalf of Torts, if you ask me... Weise is not a better hockeyplayer then MZA. He don't fit into our system better then MZA. And he don't fit better into a 4th line then MZA. On paper, that may be the case, but in reality -- I don't buy it. A paper move. Not to take anything away from Weise, but right now I just think MZA had been the better option.

Facts are that our division is weak, any many of the pts we get are due to goaltending or from having marginals on our side lately/getting timely goals et c.. Still, Torts is fighting with tooths and nails to protect the make up of the team with this move, protecting what we have instead of aiming higher. I do not like it.

Its like playing White over MZA to start with. Its a just a chicken move. MZA's size is even worse then White's -- but does that matter one darn bit? Hands up anyone who have seen White win one single physical battle all year? How could MZA's seize be worse then that? And its just BS to talk about MZA needing to build up whatever in the AHL. He needed to get used to the NA game, anything past G20 in the AHL is OT for him. The kid have played 1st line hockey at a high level the last 3-4 years. Nah, not impressed by this move.

Last edited by Ola: 12-17-2010 at 05:34 PM.
Ola is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:50 PM
bmoak

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Side note: I never realized Jason Ward was picked 11th overall.
Ward was also an AHL MVP with the Hamilton Bulldogs when he was 23.

bmoak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 05:58 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Weise is actually a really strong skater, and thats basically just about anything he have to bring at this level.

He's a up and down player who got that one ability that potentially can stand out at any level, and thats his drive. I've said that Weise have a shot for a long time, and its nice to see him get a chance.

I can't help to be a little bumbed about MZA not getting the call. Overthinking on behalf of Torts, if you ask me... Weise is not a better hockeyplayer then MZA. He don't fit into our system better then MZA. And he don't fit better into a 4th line then MZA. On paper, that may be the case, but in reality -- I don't buy it. A paper move. Not to take anything away from Weise, but right now I just think MZA had been the better option.

Facts are that our division is weak, any many of the pts we get are due to goaltending or from having marginals on our side lately/getting timely goals et c.. Still, Torts is fighting with tooths and nails to protect the make up of the team with this move, protecting what we have instead of aiming higher. I do not like it.

Its like playing White over MZA to start with. Its a just a chicken move. MZA's size is even worse then White's -- but does that matter one darn bit? Hands up anyone who have seen White win one single physical battle all year? How could MZA's seize be worse then that? And its just BS to talk about MZA needing to build up whatever in the AHL. He needed to get used to the NA game, anything past G20 in the AHL is OT for him. The kid have played 1st line hockey at a high level the last 3-4 years. Nah, not impressed by this move.
I dunno i think you're just being biased for MZA and throwing a lot more negative criticism than makes sense here.

I'm DYING to see MZA play but I can still at least see that Weise deserves a call up and that his game fits exactly with what the team is doing right now. MZA is finally hitting his stride in AHL but could probably use another dozen games or so.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 06:23 PM
The Mouth

Dale is a banger and sticks up for teammates . As one earlier poster said it's a perfect call up.

The Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 06:53 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueBlueNorwegian View Post
Larry Brooks says on his Twitter page that the Recall of Weise is "situational" with game in Philly tomorrow. So i guess Weise is in atleast until after the Philly game and then they will reevaluate.

Though i really think MZA deserves a look, i understand that Weise is a much better fit at least on paper since it is Callahan that he is replacing.
Except Weise is not replacing Callahan, he's being called up because Prust is banged up and will play on the 4th line (taking White's spot)--from Andrew Gross and Ranger Rants:

"The Rangers have recalled Dale Weise from Connecticut (AHL) and its very likely the gritty forward will play tomorrow at Philadelphia as the fourth-line right wing. However, it also seems like this may be a one-game call-up specific to facing the physical Flyers.

Coach John Tortorella wanted to make sure he clearly explained why Weise was recalled a day after Tortorella said there was not likely to be any call-ups before the schedule became heavy again starting on Jan. 1, adding, right now, there were not any players considered ready at Connecticut.

This is a different case, Tortorella said.

In that role, its an easier call-up for us, Tortorella said. Hes a guy whos going to bang. I think he can handle that. Were not looking for a guy to get in the top six. This is an easier situation for us right now."

Most likely Weise gets sent back to Hartford after the game.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple McIlwraath View Post
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Gaborik
Avery - Stepan - Drury
Frolov - Boyle - Prust
Fedotenko - EC - Weise
Yes please.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 07:07 PM
ColonialsHockey10

I think we're underrating Weise's offensive ability a little. The dude his almost producing at a PPG pace. Could be a good 3rd liner some day.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 02:18 AM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Weise has got 6 goals, 11 points in 12 games.

6-2, 200 lbs

After scoring 28 goals, 50 points last year as a 21 year old, improving by 27 points from the year prior when he was 20.

The kid has the potential to be more then just some second thought 4th line grinder.

MZA is intriguing, yes, but his size won't help us at all.

Weise can score, and he can play a tough physical game too. Like Prust, but with better hands.

If he's give the opportunity to get adjusted to the NHL game, he has the ability to be a part of the core here.

He's being underestimated here, IMO.
I like this post! Like most here, I'm excited to see him play. And don't be fooled. He will see alot more than 4 minutes. Torts uses all 4 lines and if he is as solid as people say, I doubt Gabby will double shift unless we're down. Sounds like he will fit like a T. We can use all the Prusts we can get!

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:38 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

He's going back to the Whale. A bit unfair because he was more productive then a lot of other guys on the team..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGrossRecord
Tortorella likes what he saw in Dale Weise but Weise headed back to Connecticut (AHL) with Whale playing games tomorrow and Tuesday.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:40 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
I think he's being sent down just to get in some more games, considering we play 2 games in the next 9 days.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:41 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I think he's being sent down just to get in some more games, considering we play 2 games in the next 9 days.
Why not keep him with the team, let him practice with the big boys? See what he shows against Tampa and then reevaluate.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:43 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The Rangers want their younger players playing games. Torts made a point yesterday in his presser after practice about Hartford playing 4 games before the Christmas break while the Rangers playing 2 games. The Whale plays 2 games before the Rangers next game. Weise could be brought back during the roster freeze because he is not on the NHL roster when the freeze begins.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote