HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign F Darren Archibald

Old
12-13-2010, 09:46 PM
black ace

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
I don't mind these kind of signings. You might find the next Adam Oates, Martin St.Louis or Alex Burrows.

At least is better than some of the previous regimes efforts ( son of the goalie coach,...
Morgan Clark was drafted in Gillis' first draft here.

black ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 11:17 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlo604 View Post
He signed Schneider and Tochkin. 1 has played pro and came highly recommended by Mike Johnson, while Tochkin is still in Everett?

Tochkin has tons of time to develop. He's almost averaging a PPG in the WHL.

Let me remind folks here that the OHL is a lot more open compared to the WHL. Tochkin also is vastly undersized, but to be able to put a near PPG pace in the WHL is pretty impressive.

Edit: Tochkin is also second on his team in scoring and they're dead last in their division and near the bottom in the league for Goals For. He's also 3rd on his team in a +/-

Stats: http://whl.ca/stats/show/type/skater.../236/subtype/4
Tochkin is a small skill player who had a big offensive year in his draft year.

Since then, he simply hasn't improved offensively at that level. The hope when he was signed was that he would have a development curve similar to what Brandon Kozun did in the WHL in his last 2 years to be able to establish himself as a legitmate prospect.

He simply hasn't. Two years down the roard, he's still a 65-70 point forward at that level (interestingly, his teammate Tyler Maxwell actually has developed into an elite WHL player, and Tochkin isn't even the best 1991-born undrafted smallish skill player on his team).

A 5'10, 180, 70-point WHL skill player is a worthless asset. If the Canucks could do it over again, he wouldn't be signed. Guaranteed.

At this stage, Tochkin is not a legitimate pro prospect and is headed straight for the Salmon Kings and will probably stay there.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 11:28 PM
gobi

Love Archibald's name. Has the cool factor of Detroit's Abdelkader.

gobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 11:30 PM
Chairman Maouth
Global Moderator

vCash: 20000
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaje320 View Post
Browsing the website and found this link.

http://www.niagaraicedogs.net/articl...couver-canucks
Wait what who????

Chairman Maouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 02:09 AM
stevecanuck16

vCash: 614
Here's a mini-scouting report from a Barrie fan:

"Barrie is my junior team. This guy is the type of guy who will put up 2-5 fighting majors in a season but they will be the type of fights that are at the exact right time and can get everyone fired up.

I think he will fill out to be a big solid player who can hit. He can play too (at least in the OHL). It'll be interesting to see how he does in pro hockey. People won't cherish him on here but I think he will be respected."

That's about as good a scouting report as could be expected, given his numbers. Seems high on intangibles, which is never a bad thing.

stevecanuck16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 06:03 AM
orcatown

Canucks took a flyer on the smallish Tochkin after he put up good numbers as rookie. Hope, I guess, was that he could grow some and pick up his skating. Didn't happen and time to move on.

My hope is that these lesson are helping Gillis to appreciate who to listen to and who to ignore on the scouting staff.

On the contracts: (based on play up till now recognizing that things could well change)

1) Obvious bad contracts into next year (not prospects):

Ellington
Tochkin

2) Probably bad contracts into next year (very doubtful prospects)

Oberg
S. Schneider

3) Unknown at this point whether these are bad contracts.

Rai
Sauve

On dumping contracts

Weiman - probably kept. Canucks don't really have another goalie to work with Lack. If they dumped Weiman would just have to get another goalie like him on a similar contract. That might change if the Canucks can get a goalie in the draft/free agency or Cannata leaves college.

Peters - definite drop. Given his present status he has, in a sense, already been dumped.

Paetsch - probable drop. Maybe a low budget two way deal. Having a decent AHL season since leaving Rochester.

Perrault - drop. Canucks need to create room and this guy is too fringe and too old. Should be an AHL signing for someone. Only reason he was signed last year was his waiver free status.

Baumgartner - definite drop. Maybe signs with Moose but Canucks don't want this contract

L. Sweatt - Needs the full year for any kind of evaluation. Would likely get him re-signed based on present play.

Shirokov - drop - will be 25 next year and is not doing enough at the AHL level. NHL salary would probably be too high based on what he could get in Russia.

Bliznak - drop - not developing. Looks to have plateaued and is not fast enough long term for the NHL.

Rypein - drop - play and moods are way too erratic.

Bolduc - undecided but shade towards re-signing him

Andersson - again undecided. But if he doesn't prove out in his present attempt to establish himself in the NHL should likely be released.

DesBiens - undecided but shade towards re-signing him

As far as the major re-signings, such as Ehrhoff, Hansen,Alberts, they fall into a different category. The only main line players I would possibly dump are Tambellini, Glass, Torres (if they asked too much) or Bieksa (if we were guaranteed Ehrhoff was back). Would keep Salo (dependent on the his play this year and at a cap friendly price).

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 06:39 AM
MrJonas
Ekblads of Steel

I like this move.

MrJonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-14-2010, 07:16 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
My hope is that these lesson are helping Gillis to appreciate who to listen to and who to ignore on the scouting staff.

Excellent point. Gillis is getting the info on his scouting staff, even with the "misses" on his ledger. We should see the selection process begin to tighten up as a result. There should be less waste moving forward.

Quote:
Weiman - probably kept. Canucks don't really have another goalie to work with Lack. If they dumped Weiman would just have to get another goalie like him on a similar contract. That might change if the Canucks can get a goalie in the draft/free agency or Cannata leaves college.

Perhaps that Houser kid they looked at in camp could take his spot? Lack has outperformed Weiman to this point. Perhaps a young tandem is the way to go...

Quote:
Bolduc - undecided but shade towards re-signing him

Agree with the measured analysis of the other players, but not with these two. They should both be dropped. Both have been with the organization long enough to know that this is the height they will reach within it. Desbeins can't play at this level. Bolduc skates better than Desbiens, but to me has even less skill than the latter. Time to allow them the opportunity to catch on with other teams.

Quote:
As far as the major re-signings, such as Ehrhoff, Hansen,Alberts, they fall into a different category. The only main line players I would possibly dump are Tambellini, Glass, Torres (if they asked too much) or Bieksa (if we were guaranteed Ehrhoff was back). Would keep Salo (dependent on the his play this year and at a cap friendly price).

I like Salo, but the Canucks should be done with this player. He simply cannot be relied upon. And with the new found clout Vancouver has around the league of being "a place to play," I'm sure better deals could be made out in FA. His time is simply done here IMO.

On the others: I'm expecting Alberts to walk, Bieksa gone via trade, and the rest to return. Any extra cash after the re-signings should go to fill Salo's spot (Brewer comes to mind, on the cheap), and bigger forward(s) up front (Moulson if he makes to FA).

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 07:49 PM
Andy Dufresne

vCash: 700
Weiman- The Moose have the money and ability to sign their own backup goalie. Seems like a completely wasted contract slot to me- there's no way he'll ever see time with the Canucks.

IF the Canucks do sign a 2cnd goalie for the Moose they should be looking for a younger goalie with some potential imo.

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 08:35 PM
BorussiaDortmund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Dufresne View Post
Weiman- The Moose have the money and ability to sign their own backup goalie. Seems like a completely wasted contract slot to me- there's no way he'll ever see time with the Canucks.

IF the Canucks do sign a 2cnd goalie for the Moose they should be looking for a younger goalie with some potential imo.
I guess there's always hope for Joe Cannata. So far he's played 15 games for Merrimack with a 2.07 GAA and a .925S%

BorussiaDortmund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-15-2010, 09:53 PM
Callhee
Embrace the hate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Excellent point. Gillis is getting the info on his scouting staff, even with the "misses" on his ledger. We should see the selection process begin to tighten up as a result. There should be less waste moving forward.

Perhaps that Houser kid they looked at in camp could take his spot? Lack has outperformed Weiman to this point. Perhaps a young tandem is the way to go...

Agree with the measured analysis of the other players, but not with these two. They should both be dropped. Both have been with the organization long enough to know that this is the height they will reach within it. Desbeins can't play at this level. Bolduc skates better than Desbiens, but to me has even less skill than the latter. Time to allow them the opportunity to catch on with other teams.

I like Salo, but the Canucks should be done with this player. He simply cannot be relied upon. And with the new found clout Vancouver has around the league of being "a place to play," I'm sure better deals could be made out in FA. His time is simply done here IMO.

On the others: I'm expecting Alberts to walk, Bieksa gone via trade, and the rest to return. Any extra cash after the re-signings should go to fill Salo's spot (Brewer comes to mind, on the cheap), and bigger forward(s) up front (Moulson if he makes to FA).
Last May I would never have thought I would be saying this but...we should try and re-sign Alberts. He has been a great 6th defensemen; very physical, sound defensively, and works well within our system. Why go pursue an UFA or trade for someone who would cost the same and go through the growing pains of getting used to our system?

Callhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 12:04 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Canucks took a flyer on the smallish Tochkin after he put up good numbers as rookie. Hope, I guess, was that he could grow some and pick up his skating. Didn't happen and time to move on.

That's a very good point. It's just one of the things that Nonis probably wouldn't have bothered telling Gillis upon his dismissal from the Canucks

Quote:

Paetsch - probable drop. Maybe a low budget two way deal. Having a decent AHL season since leaving Rochester.

Baumgartner - definite drop. Maybe signs with Moose but Canucks don't want this contract
I could see the Canucks re-signing Paetsch. Baumgartner would definitely be let go though, but Manitoba would probably sign him themselves. I also agree about Weiman there, but if it stays in the organization it'd probably have to be a contract from Vancouver, or else he might just up and leave for Europe.

Quote:
Bliznak - drop - not developing. Looks to have plateaued and is not fast enough long term for the NHL.

I'd have to disagree with you on Desbiens there. So far he hasn't shown anything that suggests he could be a useful and effective 4th liner for us down the road. He tries hard and is willing to do anything to stay in the lineup but his skating's just not quite there. It's just not NHL-caliber. I agree with Bolduc, but not Desbiens.

I also don't get how Bliznak isn't fast enough long term for the NHL? He skates well and is a smart player so he also relies on his positioning to get by. He definitely showed some good things in his call-up a while ago and if he gets a longer stint then he could impress even more. I think so far it looks like he's not developing because he's not putting up big numbers in the AHL but his offense is always going to be lacking no matter what level of pro he plays.

And as for Salo, I don't think it's going to make a difference whether or not the Canucks want to sign him, 'cos apparently he wants to head back to Finland at the end of the year or something. I'd love to have him back at a reduced cost, but would he be willing to accept that as well as likely a reduced role for him?

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 06:53 PM
biturbo19

Sort of reminds me of the Steven Anthony pick, not in the similarity of the players' style, but in that sort of boom/bust nature, and the fact that both guys seem to have been tagged (rightfully or not) with some 'character issues'.

I do like these sort of pickups as they're fairly low risk/high reward type deals. Longshots maybe, but hey...why not. Just so long as Gillis doesn't paint himself into a corner with too many big misses.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:50 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biturbo19 View Post
Sort of reminds me of the Steven Anthony pick, not in the similarity of the players' style, but in that sort of boom/bust nature, and the fact that both guys seem to have been tagged (rightfully or not) with some 'character issues'.

I do like these sort of pickups as they're fairly low risk/high reward type deals. Longshots maybe, but hey...why not. Just so long as Gillis doesn't paint himself into a corner with too many big misses.
Other than that hit on the goalie I don't think there's been any sort of character issues with Archibald. Even Anthony was tagged with supposed character issues but I don't think anyone's bringing that up anymore. But he's still a project nonetheless, and both of them have the potential to be pretty good bottom-6 players. But that Tochkin contract's beginning to look like a real dud right now.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 10:05 AM
IComeInPeace

I have not read anything about any type of 'character issues' with Archibald...

What kind of potential 'character issues' are you referencing, and where did you hear of them?

IComeInPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenrir604 View Post
Last May I would never have thought I would be saying this but...we should try and re-sign Alberts. He has been a great 6th defensemen; very physical, sound defensively, and works well within our system. Why go pursue an UFA or trade for someone who would cost the same and go through the growing pains of getting used to our system?

Because he might want to get paid more than the Canucks can spend. Like you said, there are options out there. He just might price himself out by comparison. There's the other side of it too, where you could spend 2m~ for a dman coming off a down year, perhaps someone like Brewer. Still, it's early enough that anything can happen.

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 11:11 AM
edler von real gud

vCash: 380
Send a message via MSN to edler von real gud
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacemaker View Post
I have not read anything about any type of 'character issues' with Archibald...

What kind of potential 'character issues' are you referencing, and where did you hear of them?
He's black and there is a clip of him with a mohawk...

edler von real gud is offline   Reply With Quote