HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

THE game that got you into hockey?

Old
12-09-2010, 04:01 PM
the edler
Inimitable

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
best sports game ever

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 04:05 PM
copperandblue

I recall watching hockey before this but as far as getting caught up hook, line and sinker it was the '81 playoffs when the Oilers upset the Habs.

The Canadiens saying Lafleur would put Gretzky in his back pocket, a little unknown goaltender in Moog coming out of nowhere and stealing the series.

What a start to one of the most entertaining 10 year runs by a hockey team ever.

copperandblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 04:09 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

I can pinpoint it to a single moment:

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2010, 04:29 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

For me it was one of best days of my youth. April 1971...Montreal/Boston Bruins in the Garden Game 7. Yup, that's the game. I was in hockey before that game...but it took me a few notches deeper.

What a playoff year...Ken Dryden "the damn octopus", as described by Phil Esposito. Jean Beliveau playing like it was 1959, the whole line of Beliveau, Frank Mahovlich, Cournoyer. John Ferguson and Henri Richard in a dispute with head coach in Minnesota. Lemaire scoring from center ice in Chicago to turn Game 7 around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hSLxD5mIKg

Last edited by FiveForDrawingBlood: 12-09-2010 at 04:44 PM.
FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 08:35 PM
JackFr

Thanks, Backyard Hockey! That game taught me all I needed to know.

JackFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-12-2010, 10:43 PM
the_speedster

The games that made me a fan for life! (aka 96 world cup of hockey)

I've been searching for more than a minute's clip of anything that had to do with the 96 world cup of hockey (the others were just a pale immitation) For me it was the greatest tourney I ever got to see start to finish. All the loves of my hockey life were on display,.. ALL OF THEM! Be it gretzky, messier, lindros, forsberg, the incomparably classy Lafontaine, Hull,.. and of course my guiltiest pleasure ever,.. Claude "pepe" Lemieux! etc etc etc

Anyways, figured someone else out there felt the same as me so here're the links I found... they're mostly abbreviated parts of the periods of games 1 to three but definately worth seeing! enjoy peps!

game 1

game 2

game 3

the_speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-13-2010, 03:53 PM
Big Phil

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
I can pinpoint it to a single moment:

Excellent hockey moment. Unfortunately its a moment very similar to Carlton Fisk's Homerun in the 1975 World Series. Despite the Yzerman goal, the Red Wings still lost the next series. But two great teams battling it out, I remember that game clearly watching it live

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Passthedonuts

November 5, 1991. Pavel Bure's debut with the Canucks vs. the Winnipeg Jets. I was 7.

Had seen a couple games prior, but nothing drew me in the way Bure did. Absolutely hooked after that.

Passthedonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 10:40 PM
HemskyToHall*

Dad was always a leafs fan, I didn't start watching hockey until 4 years ago it was Oilers and Wings game 3 I believe.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 10:50 PM
JKG33
Richards & Carter

When I was young I vaguely remember the 1999 Dallas Stars cup win.

In 2002/03, I forget what grade I was in, but our teacher had everyone pick a team that we thought would win the cup. My dad was Leafs fan, but he also liked the Stars. So, those were my 2 teams. I had a gut feeling Dallas would win it all again. Unfortunately it didn't happen. I really remember the Edmonton series, and then loosing to Anaheim was sad. but the 5OT game is what I really remember.

and since then, with Stars games rarely being seen on TV in Winnipeg, I the Leafs emerged as my favorite team. And the playoff series Dallas had with Vancouver in 2007 (or was it 08? I don't remember), where almost every game went into OT, made me like the Canucks as well. Plus they were/are the parent team for the Moose.

JKG33 is offline   Reply With Quote