HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Ville Leino's Contract Talks Stalled

Old
12-17-2010, 09:15 PM
ilovetheflyers8

vCash: 500
If the cap is going up again, then it is definitely doable.

With the current cap this is what I'd like to see but it can't work, and I don't think we'll get rid of Shelley.

Edit- for this to work with the current cap we have to waive/trade for future considerations Walker and Shelley, and then lose one other person, and get someone cheaper. If we waive/trade Leighton, maybe we could get Boosh for 1.1 million? But, we would be $50,000 or so from the cap. We could trade Carle, and spend up to 2 million (I'd prefer a max of 1.5) on a 3rd pairing d, and have like 700,000 in cap space. We could also get someone cheaper than Carcillo, I gave him a $275,000 raise, and I gave Nodl a $750,000 raise, that may seem like too much but I was trying to be realistic, and that might be reasonable if he hits over 30 points, but now that I think about it he might not be able to.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Andreas Nodl ($1.600m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Ville Leino ($3.000m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m)
Daniel Carcillo ($1.300m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Darroll Powe ($0.725m)

DEFENSEMEN
Chris Pronger ($4.921m) / Matt Carle ($3.437m)
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Braydon Coburn ($3.200m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m) /Michael Leighton ($1.550m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,474,156; BONUSES: $1,700,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): -$374,156

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 12-17-2010 at 09:31 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:19 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
If the cap is going up again, then it is definitely doable.

With the current cap this is what I'd like to see but it can't work, and I don't think we'll get rid of Shelley.

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
James Van Riemsdyk ($1.654m) / Mike Richards ($5.750m) / Andreas Nodl ($1.600m)
Scott Hartnell ($4.200m) / Daniel Briere ($6.500m) / Ville Leino ($3.000m)
Eric Wellwood ($0.580m) / Jeff Carter ($5.272m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m)
Daniel Carcillo ($1.300m) / Blair Betts ($0.700m) / Darroll Powe ($0.725m)

DEFENSEMEN
Chris Pronger ($4.921m) / Matt Carle ($3.437m)
Kimmo Timonen ($6.333m) / Braydon Coburn ($3.200m)
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Oskars Bartulis ($0.600m)

GOALTENDERS
Sergei Bobrovsky ($1.750m) /Michael Leighton ($1.550m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $59,400,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,474,156; BONUSES: $1,700,000
CAP SPACE (20-man roster): -$374,156
Honestly, I'd say get rid of Leighton by the deadline and re-sign Boucher at 900K. Under the cap and all good. Also, I don't see Nodl getting that much.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:27 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Tagging is a bit more complicated than 'can't exceed this years cap for next season', but I forget the minor details. It's close to that in most situations.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:32 PM
MountainHawk

vCash: 450
Looked it up.

Tagging rule is that:

Current Cap Room for this season + Total Expiring Contract Cap Room has to be greater than the sum of all the cap hits for extensions signed during the season.

MountainHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:35 PM
phillyfanatic

Why is this news? From everything said, Leino wants to sign in Philly. Philly wants to sign Leino. They are in talks. Both sides feel a deal will be done. So I ask - whats the problem?

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:55 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
They better god damn sign him... holy crap...

Get rid of Leighton ffs.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:59 PM
Viller

He will get signed, its just a question of how much.

The guy has played one good playoff and ~30 good games for the team, I can understand them having trouble deciding how much they can afford to sign him for.

No hurry anyway.

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 10:54 PM
dpollen54

better sign him...i just got his jersey for xmas haha

dpollen54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 10:56 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Leino has said before that Holmgren has to move someone before he can be re-signed. I think it has to do with the tagging rule

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:15 PM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
He will get signed, its just a question of how much.

The guy has played one good playoff and ~30 good games for the team, I can understand them having trouble deciding how much they can afford to sign him for.

No hurry anyway.
Because if something doesn't get done according to what HFBoards deems a suitable time table, then it's time to *****.

Anyway, I remember back when Roo and Carter signed their contracts there was talk about Ville's contract talks, and I seem to remember someone (Homer? Ville's agent?) saying it was more likely to not get done until after the season.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 12:15 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Because if something doesn't get done according to what HFBoards deems a suitable time table, then it's time to *****.

Anyway, I remember back when Roo and Carter signed their contracts there was talk about Ville's contract talks, and I seem to remember someone (Homer? Ville's agent?) saying it was more likely to not get done until after the season.
Or I decided to post an article that I deemed talk worthy. Dont know if that was directed at me but sounded like it.

Mind posting the article towards the after the season thing? I did hear near end of season, but at the same time people were saying that Ville was offered a contract around 3 mil, etc etc. There are all these reports out there.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 12:23 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Why is this news? From everything said, Leino wants to sign in Philly. Philly wants to sign Leino. They are in talks. Both sides feel a deal will be done. So I ask - whats the problem?
I'm an idiot. This was the post I meant to quote and respond to. Specifically the bolded part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Or I decided to post an article that I deemed talk worthy. Dont know if that was directed at me but sounded like it.

Mind posting the article towards the after the season thing? I did hear near end of season, but at the same time people were saying that Ville was offered a contract around 3 mil, etc etc. There are all these reports out there.
Not directed at anyone really. It would have made a little more sense if I had quoted the right post. Basically, it was an abject failure on my part to impart a little tongue in cheekiness. Sorry about that.

And I'll look around to see if I can find that article. It may not have even been an article. It could have easily been some beat reporter's twatter post. I'll look for it though. Wish me luck.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Garbage Goal

This is probably Holmgren's fault for acquiring so many **** multi-year contracts over the summer (Leighton, Walker, Shelley, Meszaros, etc.). Good news for him is that it should be easy enough of a situation to resolve.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 04:52 AM
Rick Deckard

Waiving a player on a multi-year contract (Leighton, Shelley, Walker, Laperierre) does nothing, every roster move is canceled after the end of the season and every one-way contract counts towards the upper limit. The only way to get caproom for next season is to either move one of those contracts or buy one of them out during the week between Draft and Free Agency (last week of June).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk View Post
Looked it up.

Tagging rule is that:

Current Cap Room for this season + Total Expiring Contract Cap Room has to be greater than the sum of all the cap hits for extensions signed during the season.
Or in other words: You can't spend more for next season than the upper limit for this season. It's exactly the same.

caphit of multi-year contracts + caphit of expiring contracts + current caproom = upper limit.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:11 AM
Hagged

Why not offer the 2m deal? I guess it would be sufficient amount for Leino, he has played 2 great playoffs, and one half a good season. 2 million would be a good deal for him and for Philly.

Hagged is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:16 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
At the recent Board of Governor's meeting Bettman said the salary cap is likely to rise with some people reporting by as much as 3M.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:26 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Waiving a player on a multi-year contract (Leighton, Shelley, Walker, Laperierre) does nothing, every roster move is canceled after the end of the season and every one-way contract counts towards the upper limit. The only way to get caproom for next season is to either move one of those contracts or buy one of them out during the week between Draft and Free Agency (last week of June).

Or in other words: You can't spend more for next season than the upper limit for this season. It's exactly the same.

caphit of multi-year contracts + caphit of expiring contracts + current caproom = upper limit.
Based on one-way contracts:

Briere (6.50), Richards (5.75), Carter (5.27), Hartnell (4.20), Giroux (3.75), Laperriere (1.16), Shelley (1.10), Betts (0.70), Timonen (6.33), Pronger (4.92), Meszaros (4.00), Carle (3.44), Coburn (3.20), Walker (1.70), Bartulis (0.60), Leighton (1.55), Backlund (0.80) = 54.97m

Current Cap = 59.40m

Current Space (Based on one-way contracts) = 4.43m

If what you're saying about one-way contracts is correct, then we have 4.43m to sign Leino to for next year.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Look, people saying how easy it is being GM. You cannot waive Walker, he's on IR. Leino cannot be signed while he is on IR. Leighton has to be moved with his salary. Who exactly wants a keeper like leighton? it's bad press to sign a player and drop him in the minors in the same season too. The flyers don't look kindly on things like that. A big reason why FA look to sign here.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Based on one-way contracts:

Briere (6.50), Richards (5.75), Carter (5.27), Hartnell (4.20), Giroux (3.75), Laperriere (1.16), Shelley (1.10), Betts (0.70), Timonen (6.33), Pronger (4.92), Meszaros (4.00), Carle (3.44), Coburn (3.20), Walker (1.70), Bartulis (0.60), Leighton (1.55), Backlund (0.80) = 54.97m

Current Cap = 59.40m

Current Space (Based on one-way contracts) = 4.43m

If what you're saying about one-way contracts is correct, then we have 4.43m to sign Leino to for next year.
But it wasn't complete ... two-way contracts count during the offseason towards the cap, for as many days a player has been on the active roster ... as of now, Bobrovsky and van Riemsdyk count too (without bonus cushion, last year of the CBA).

Old
12-18-2010, 06:37 AM
Valhoun*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Look, people saying how easy it is being GM. You cannot waive Walker, he's on IR. Leino cannot be signed while he is on IR. Leighton has to be moved with his salary. Who exactly wants a keeper like leighton? it's bad press to sign a player and drop him in the minors in the same season too. The flyers don't look kindly on things like that. A big reason why FA look to sign here.
Homer really should look into firing the person who forced those contracts on him...

I always love the "look how difficult the situation Homer has to fix is" excuse since, and I know this is hard to figure out, he is the one responsible for the **** he gets himself into. Walker and Leighton were horrible contracts and the responsibility for them is wholly on him.

Old
12-18-2010, 06:41 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
But it wasn't complete ... two-way contracts count during the offseason towards the cap, for as many days a player has been on the active roster ... as of now, Bobrovsky and van Riemsdyk count too (without bonus cushion, last year of the CBA).
Now, THAT makes far more sense.

Okay, so assuming Nodl, JVR, and Bobrovsky end up on the "active roster" by the end of the year, we're somewhere around: 59.22m~

So, if Holmgren had offered Leino a contract, it would have to be for 0.18m~, which is obviously below the minimum contract level.

Old
12-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:

Okay, so assuming Nodl, JVR, and Bobrovsky end up on the "active roster" by the end of the year, we're somewhere around: 59.22m~

So, if Holmgren had offered Leino a contract, it would have to be for 0.18m~, which is obviously below the minimum contract level.
Without Nodl, he isn't under contract for next season. A small amount for Wellwood and his 10? days on the roster.

The first post was to show that it is useless to waive multi-year-contracts now, if they aren't claimed ... not to calculate the open cap space.

Old
12-18-2010, 06:50 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Without Nodl, he isn't under contract for next season.
Sorry, mental screw-up. I forgot.

Quote:
A small amount for Wellwood and his 10? days on the roster.

The first post was to show that it is useless to waive multi-contracts now, if they aren't claimed ... not to calculate the open cap space.
So basically, we have to wait until after the announcement of the new cap until we sign Leino?

Not the end of the world.

Old
12-18-2010, 06:50 AM
Valhoun*

Quote:

When is the cap for next year announced? It will give the team a bit of breathing room.

Old
12-18-2010, 06:53 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
So basically, we have to wait until after the announcement of the new cap until we sign Leino?

Not the end of the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
When is the cap for next year announced? It will give the team a bit of breathing room.
The Cap is announced between the Entry Draft and Free Agency ... last week of June.