Old
12-17-2010, 11:20 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 50
Glencross=Not a Happy Camper

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/...062/story.html

Quote:

A frequent visitor to Brent Sutter's dog house, Glencross is clearly boiling over this latest turn of events.

“Obviously, they feel I'm the least battler out there. I guess that's their opinion.
Quote:
Have the coaching staff told him the reason behind the move?

“No,” he said. “No.”

If he had to speculate, what does he think the reason is?

“I'm guessing,” he said. “I don't know. I don't know. Obviously, I'm not doing something right in their eyes. I've just got to go out and do my job, I guess.”
Quote:
According to assistant coach Dave Lowry, the message is crystal clear.

“We need more,” he said. “We expect more. The disappointing thing is you have high expectations for the player. Curtis will get back in the line-up. And he's going to be an important player for us. He plays an important role.
Is it just me or does Glenny seem as stubborn as a mule? This combined with lack of top 6 time is making it more and more obvious (to me atleast) that Glencross won't be flame next season. I hope not, I'd really love to have him re-up with the club but he seems very proud and stubborn, which is an obstacle not easily avoided during negotiations

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 11:30 PM
goodsauce

Honestly, I feel he accepts his energy 3rd line role, and is proud of that. I think that he feels he has played well enough to earn a spot and not be scratched. Glenny loves it here, look for him to at least try to sign here next season

goodsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 12:33 AM
CorsiCounter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by artysmith View Post
Honestly, I feel he accepts his energy 3rd line role, and is proud of that. I think that he feels he has played well enough to earn a spot and not be scratched. Glenny loves it here, look for him to at least try to sign here next season
I guarantee you Glencross won't be a Flame after this season.

CorsiCounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 12:49 AM
Pilkington

Quote:
Yeah he sounds delighted.

Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 01:23 AM
Some Other Flame

Quote:
I don't see negotiations going very far. Glencross is on pace for a career high in goals with 18 and if he reaches those numbers, he'll being looking for at least 2.5M per year and will likely get it given his versatility.

The Flames already have 11 players (excluding Langkow) signed for next season and assuming Iginla doesn't get traded, I expect Tanguay to re-sign, leaving just one spot open on the 4th line. And Glencross has made it clear in the past that he's not happy with 4th line ice time.

If the Flames are out of the playoffs come trade deadline, I hope he gets moved. He'd probably garner a 2nd like Dominic Moore last year, or at worst, a 3rd.

Some Other Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 01:35 AM
bigchief12

I think Bourque was terrible for about a four to five game stretch prior to the Leafs and probably deserved some time in the press box equally or moreso than Glencross did. I'll bet Glenny saw this too and didn't think it was fair. Although I don't think it was a huge injustice that Glencross sat out, I do think that the coaching staff should talk with the players about why they were chosen and what they specifically expect to see change instead of just the silent treatment and 11th hour scratches.

bigchief12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:10 AM
Flames Fanatic
Truculent Fan

I can agree with perhaps benching him. Full out scratching maybe, maybe not. But he's been far from our worst player. At times, I would have scratched the following players before him: Bouwmeester (defensive gaffs early on), Iginla (for stupidly slow start), Staios (for bonehead moves), Stajan (who did get scratched), Jokinen (only been solid for the past few weeks), Moss (get him off this team please), Bourque (for that stretch of 6-8 games where he was brutal), etc.

Flames Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:42 AM
Signature
Disreputable User

Probably all of the above + the fact that he's been disciplined by the league a few times recently = in his mind, added up to a negative experience in Calgary.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 08:27 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

Quote:
i doubt the first part, because before the season started he had said he thought he was ready for top 6 time, which he isnt getting, and if he nets 18-20 goals, hes gonna be lookin for;
A) a raise
B) A place in the top 6

and honestly i would rather have hagman as the 2nd line LW, glencross is suited for the 3rd line, hes a damn good 3rd liner at that.
I love him as a player, just dont see it happen unless its an overpayment

Old
12-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Lunatik*

i think with it being a weaker draft year Glencross can garner a 2nd round pick... I say move him for that as he's going to be this years Nystrom

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 10:42 AM
Signature
Disreputable User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
i think with it being a weaker draft year Glencross can garner a 2nd round pick... I say move him for that as he's going to be this years Nystrom
It's a damn shame. Prust, Nystrom, now Glenny... if only we could keep that kind of 3rd liner. But they're not too hard to come by, but we have had some of the better ones the past few seasons.

Signature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:21 PM
DoubleJ96

Glencross has been my favorite Flames that playsn his style of game in the last few years. Would love to see him re-sign in the summer!

DoubleJ96 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:34 PM
Stewie Griffin
Bruinswagoner #4762

Quote:
Have the coaching staff told him the reason behind the move?

“No,” he said. “No.”
I don't know what's worse... Glencross not being told why he's been scratched, or Glencross not asking why he's been scratched.

Stewie Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:38 PM
Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
I don't know what's worse... Glencross not being told why he's been scratched, or Glencross not asking why he's been scratched.
Or Glencross crying about it to the media.

Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 04:14 PM
Lunatik*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie Griffin View Post
he's fallen off his chuck wagon 1 to many times

Lunatik* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 04:15 PM
flames123

If Glenner put it all together he could be a top 6 forward and put up 50+ pts. He needs to be more consistent and work hard every night. Sutter said he would not take someone out of the lineup if they were playing well. Obviously Glenner is not playing well in the coaches eyes. The right thing to do would be to keep his mouth shut and show the coaches he deserves to be in the lineup next time he gets a chance to play. We don't need people with attitudes like this. Understandably he is upset but he seems to think he is doing everything right and it is not his fault but rather the coaches that he was stratched. I like his game but the attitude needs to go.

flames123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Triple Deke

I really like GlenX. However, he's prone to taking stupid penalties.
He can skate, shoot & bang with the best of them, but he cannot pick & choose when to use these skills. They must constantly be on display every shift.

Triple Deke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:45 PM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by flames123 View Post
If Glenner put it all together he could be a top 6 forward and put up 50+ pts. He needs to be more consistent and work hard every night. Sutter said he would not take someone out of the lineup if they were playing well. Obviously Glenner is not playing well in the coaches eyes. The right thing to do would be to keep his mouth shut and show the coaches he deserves to be in the lineup next time he gets a chance to play. We don't need people with attitudes like this. Understandably he is upset but he seems to think he is doing everything right and it is not his fault but rather the coaches that he was stratched. I like his game but the attitude needs to go.
Good post. This team can't afford to have players with too much pride that sours the winning and team orientated attitude. I like the way Glenny plays too, but if it's not to Sutter's standards, then Glenny needs to simply obey the game plan in order to avoid any wrenches thrown in the system because our opponents will capitalize on any weaknesses or holes. It's way too late in the season to have players not buying in, even if they've disagreed with it, for the good of the team, they should just do what they're told.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:01 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunatik View Post
Agree. If it is clear he will not resign, trade him at the deadline for a second... or whatever else like a decent prospect and lower pick

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 07:01 PM
scoringmachine

The problem is Glencross thinks only he knows when he should be a healthy scratch which would be never. Brent felt their was something wrong with his game and their thinking was by making him a healthy scratch and getting him to think about improving his game he will come to practice and show he deserves to be in the lineup. If he spends his time whining about being a healthy scratch then he is not showing good character too his team. If he needs to talk to someone about being a healthy scratch and how to deal with it he should talk to Sarich who has already been a healthy scratch on this team.

Last edited by scoringmachine: 12-18-2010 at 07:19 PM.
scoringmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 07:21 PM
Oblivion

I still really like Glencross but I would tend to agree that he'll follow the money next year as well. The fact is we have an overabundance of bottom six guys and someone will need to sit.

Oblivion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 07:31 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oblivion View Post
I still really like Glencross but I would tend to agree that he'll follow the money next year as well. The fact is we have an overabundance of bottom six guys and someone will need to sit.
Yup, regardless if one is an NHL player or not... following the money generally is the goal!

Old
12-19-2010, 05:32 AM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

I also think trading him will be the best option, something just tells me he's going to demand 2.5 and upwards which isn't what you pay a 3rd liner, the ********* thing about Glenny is i can see Burke and Toronto throwing 2.5+ at him in the offseason, whihc would suck, I'd hate to hate GlenX lol

Old
12-19-2010, 11:28 AM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmurfin View Post
I also think trading him will be the best option, something just tells me he's going to demand 2.5 and upwards which isn't what you pay a 3rd liner, the ********* thing about Glenny is i can see Burke and Toronto throwing 2.5+ at him in the offseason, whihc would suck, I'd hate to hate GlenX lol
True and then there is always Sather....

Old
12-19-2010, 01:41 PM
getoverit

Personally refreshing to hear that someone on the flames had emotion. The whole team has no emotion in their play, have no heartbeat except for a couple minutes a game. This whole team lacks communication, most of it is a monologue from the sounds of it, gets tiring after a while Im sure.

getoverit is offline   Reply With Quote