HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Dale Weise up from the Whale

Old
12-18-2010, 03:48 PM
XLJ

vCash: 500
I thought Weise played well. He was much more effective than Todd White. I'd keep him up and play him with Avery and Drury again against Tampa. They almost scored a couple of times. Avery hit the post, Weise shot that just went wide and they had the disallowed goal. Give them a few practices see if they can build some more chemistry together. White sucks he should be sent down he brings nothing to this team.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 04:00 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

vCash: 50
Maybe I'm alone here but I didnt think he looked very good overall.

He showed what one might expect from a guy just joining a club in his first NHL game, didnt have communication or chemistry with his linemates, was unsure where to be at times. Typical rookie winger problems.

But in the long run, he will eventually be able to bring more to the 4th line than White, I would imagine. Hell, he did more in the 2nd and 3rd period than White has done most of this year.

And management should let Dale know he is on the right track, and that the reason for his demotion is so he can play some games.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 04:07 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Maybe I'm alone here but I didnt think he looked very good overall.

He showed what one might expect from a guy just joining a club in his first NHL game, didnt have communication or chemistry with his linemates, was unsure where to be at times. Typical rookie winger problems.

But in the long run, he will eventually be able to bring more to the 4th line than White, I would imagine. Hell, he did more in the 2nd and 3rd period than White has done most of this year.

And management should let Dale know he is on the right track, and that the reason for his demotion is so he can play some games.
no, youre not alone.

i dont think hes much more than a 4th liner...and to be honest, id rather have Hagelin there long term.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 04:23 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Didn't blow me away, but I liked what I saw. Physicality, going to the net, etc. Plus anyone who puts their fist in that ****head Carcillo's face is fine by me.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 04:35 PM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Didn't blow me away, but I liked what I saw. Physicality, going to the net, etc. Plus anyone who puts their fist in that ****head Carcillo's face is fine by me.
Ching ching ching... we have a winner. I totally agree with this. I also don't think Weise looked out of place at all, but let him go play with the WhalePack this weekend, bring him back for Tampa... White is completely worthless as anything more than an extra body in the locker room.

mti79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 04:37 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

I applaud his efforts tonight.

The first chance he got he blew. Opting to pass instead of shoot when he was in on the goalie was a mistake. Other than that, I thought he did everything else pretty good, and on top of that. He made himself noticed. But I am not sure why everyone is so down on him.

Against a very tough opponent, he gained three good scoring chances. On a night when the offense failed, Weise managed to fare pretty well. Manage dto beat Boucher twice. Once just missing the net wide, the other of course the disallowed goal. But...to then take on Carcillo who by most accounts should have taken it to the rookie. Weise not only fared well, I give him the decision also.

Weise over White would be my vote. When Boogaard returns play him against teams with a heavy. Play Weise against the rest.

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:06 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

He was reassigned to Connecticut after the game.

Last edited by Leslie Treff: 12-18-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:10 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

No big deal. RB already pretty much called it

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
NHL rosters freeze for about 8 days but teams are allowed to call up players from the minors who were not on the NHL roster on December 19. Dale Weise could play today for the Rangers and be returned to the AHL later today. Play tomorrow and Tuesday for the Whale. The Rangers can bring him up on Wednesday for the Thursday game against TB.

Todd White gets another week on a NHL roster

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:57 PM
polako

Spot start to reward some good play in the AHL. I thought Weise did fairly well for the role he was asked to play. He didn't f anything up, he fought, and he almost scored. Not a bad showing for a 4th line one game callup.

I don't think the NYR were looking at this as a test to find their next 4th line RW for the next 10 years. Just a reward for a job well done in Hartford.

I wouldn't mind seeing him on another injury call up later in the season.

polako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 07:09 PM
Osminator

in a perfect world, Weise stays up with the Rangers, White packs his bags and goes to Hartford... Weise is a much more serviceable 4th-liner than Weise... Hits, fights, and may even pot a few... The main difference of Weise comapared to White... He's hot and hungry.

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 07:22 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
in a perfect world, Weise stays up with the Rangers, White packs his bags and goes to Hartford... Weise is a much more serviceable 4th-liner than Weise... Hits, fights, and may even pot a few... The main difference of Weise comapared to White... He's hot and hungry.
This. Weise surprised me today. He looked like he fits right in on the 4th line, smacked Carcillo around, and almost had 2 goals.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 08:50 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

i think weise has the potential to be a good 4th line 3rd line fill in type kinda in the kirk maltby mode...all teams needs role players like that.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 08:52 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by msg View Post
I thought Weise played well. He was much more effective than Todd White. I'd keep him up and play him with Avery and Drury again against Tampa. They almost scored a couple of times. Avery hit the post, Weise shot that just went wide and they had the disallowed goal. Give them a few practices see if they can build some more chemistry together. White sucks he should be sent down he brings nothing to this team.
agree, with his size if a pp struggles id like to see him in front to screen the goalie. he does have nice size at 6'2 220.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 11:00 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Like I said, he isn't going to light up the world.

Anyone expecting greatness had different hopes for what Weise is.

I mentioned he's like a Brandon Prust, with some better hands, not by much, but still, the kid can score. And in his limited ice time, against the best team in the NHL, in his NHL debut, he nearly scored twice (one was disallowed), and faught their biggest pain in the neck.

The kid goes hard to the net, he's big, strong, physical, responsible defensively, he can fight, he's a team player, hard worker, simple north-south game.

IMO he was effective with his limited time.

He has a chance to be a part of the core. 4th line-3rd line Brandon Prust type player with around 15-20 goal potential.

Torts said he likes him.

They sent him back to Hartford because the Whale play two games early this week, hopefully he gets called back up for the Rangers' Thursday game against Tampa.

Give the kid a chance, people will like him.

And the size, believe it or not, is something we need. We get pushed around by bigger teams. Guys like Kreider, Werek, Weise, McIlrath can change that in the future.

I'd love to see a Prust-Boyle-Weise line. They would be hard to contain, hard work, grit, size.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 05:36 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

A projected future third line (if everything goes as planned, which it never does) is Hagelin/Horak/Weise.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:19 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

I think he met expectations

I hope we see him in rangers gear again

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 08:28 AM
eco's bones

What I saw was a guy who could keep pace and was involved in the action. A little lost at times but he nearly scored twice with limited ice time. The Carcillo fight was icing on the cake and overall it was a good first game. As for the fight--there wasn't really much to it but if you were going to give anyone the win--it would have been Weise not Carcillo.

I could see him as an extra forward more than Todd White--get him in at least a few more games--the Hartford to New York shuttle.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 09:15 AM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Anyone expecting greatness had different hopes for what Weise is.

He has a chance to be a part of the core. 4th line-3rd line Brandon Prust type player with around 15-20 goal potential.
I really hope there weren't expectations beyond SM's comments above. Weise looked to be what I expected, skated, got involved, popped Carcillo in the face. Not much more to ask from a bottom 6 winger.

Would love to see the top 5 NYR picks from the '08 draft in the lineup at the same time at some point down the road.

E-Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 09:33 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Weise was called up on Friday. He joined the team in Philly. Didn't have a practice. What was the complaint? Lack of communication.

Quote:
The NHL roster freeze goes into effect at midnight tomorrow night and lasts through midnight on Dec. 27. Anyone on the roster as of midnight tomorrow must remain in place through the freeze. Clubs are permitted to make recalls, however, during that time period.

It would be a surprise if Weise, who had a strong camp and then sustained a broken hand in Hartford before then suffering a broken finger upon his return, is not back on the roster within the next few weeks.

"I liked him. I liked him," Tortorella said.

"It was obviously exciting," Weise said. "I'm just excited to play here and show them what I can do."
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz18ZWwaLSc

Midnight tonight.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 10:07 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Weise was one of our better players last night. He couldn't buy a goal last night.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 03:56 PM
Ola

I am going to string together my 64th concequtive negative post, and say that Weise was pretty so-so.

To put it like this, he is now like where a Clarkson was 4 years ago.

Nah, I like Weise. He was a very good draft pick. He will become what we make of him. If we have room and if we invest in him, I could definitely see him becoming even better then say a Prust is today. The kid have something in him, and I've said that for a long time.

At the same time, I am a little dissapointed in the fact that he looked a little further away overall then I had expected. This kids chances to get a crack in the NHL could come far apart, because when everyone is healthy, he is pretty far from cracking our top 13 even -- today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deriik2020 View Post
I dunno i think you're just being biased for MZA and throwing a lot more negative criticism than makes sense here.

I'm DYING to see MZA play but I can still at least see that Weise deserves a call up and that his game fits exactly with what the team is doing right now. MZA is finally hitting his stride in AHL but could probably use another dozen games or so.
But I do not dissagree one bit with that. Not at all.

The problem, thats that we have like 10-11 forwards who fits perfectly into what we are trying to do in NY.

Look at Philly, does Ville Leino fit into what they are trying to do? A soft, slow, finesse euro. Kimmo Timmonen? A really small finesse D?

Our roster lacks creativity.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:04 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post

But I do not dissagree one bit with that. Not at all.

The problem, thats that we have like 10-11 forwards who fits perfectly into what we are trying to do in NY.

Look at Philly, does Ville Leino fit into what they are trying to do? A soft, slow, finesse euro. Kimmo Timmonen? A really small finesse D?

Our roster lacks creativity.
I especially agree with that part.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:18 PM
Fitzy
Relative to what?

Christensen is one of our most creative players and everyone wants him gone.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:20 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
What I saw was a guy who could keep pace and was involved in the action. A little lost at times but he nearly scored twice with limited ice time. The Carcillo fight was icing on the cake and overall it was a good first game. As for the fight--there wasn't really much to it but if you were going to give anyone the win--it would have been Weise not Carcillo.

I could see him as an extra forward more than Todd White--get him in at least a few more games--the Hartford to New York shuttle.
Exactly. He did about as much as a bottom 6 winger playing his first NHL game should be expected to do. That's a pretty solid showing in my book (and for the record, I was down on the pick when we made it).

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Lmao, Rangers' broadcast definitely did not feature this bit here.

Mint Berry Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote