Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Notices

The Iginla Factor

Old
12-19-2010, 12:06 AM
luckyirish83

vCash: 500
The Iginla Factor

Jarome Iginla has been the heart and soul for the Calgary Flames for a very long time now. He has time and time again been our best player for years. He has carried this time through hell and back but has always been there putting up the best damn effort he can for the better of the team. Just look at the 2004 playoffs, he was our go to guy, our leader and our savior when we needed him most.

In saying that i feel really bad for the guy for being thrown under a bus for a slow start to the season. There have been countless threads and rumors of "Iginla trade proposals". I understand fully and completely that the Flames are soon going to be in a rebuild but i would no doubt in my mind keep Iginla. Lose Regehr, Bo, even Borque too but there is no asset on this team as valuable as Iggy! As much as i love Kipper, i would trade him too for the future of the flames.

I really think this is just an off season for the Flames. Hell, look at the Canucks in 2006/2007, they didnt even make the playoffs but are still a powerhouse of a team. I say give it till next season and see what these guys are really made of. It's not as bad as everyone potrays it to be

Is it really time to rebuild or can the Flames muster up enough wins to make the playoffs and get rid of ridiculous contracts for higher picks? (Staios) On a side note, i really love Sarich, i think he is one of our best defenceman and i wouldn't trade him in a heartbeat

luckyirish83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:21 AM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyirish83 View Post
I really think this is just an off season for the Flames. Hell, look at the Canucks in 2006/2007, they didnt even make the playoffs but are still a powerhouse of a team. I say give it till next season and see what these guys are really made of. It's not as bad as everyone potrays it to be

Is it really time to rebuild or can the Flames muster up enough wins to make the playoffs and get rid of ridiculous contracts for higher picks? (Staios) On a side note, i really love Sarich, i think he is one of our best defenceman and i wouldn't trade him in a heartbeat
Its not an off season. The Calgary Flames are a bad team. If Calgary replaced Joker with Savard, they 'could' be a fringe playoff team. As it sits now, Calgary is burdened with huge paydays and ntc's and a team full of underachievers. The absolute worst prospect pool according to hockeyfutures and a gm who seems willing to trade the future to save his job. Things are not good.

For your second point, its not likely the flames will make the playoffs. They are 6 points back and the teams they need to catch pretty much all have 2 games in hand. So its safe to say that they are closer to 8 points back. In an incredibly strong and talented western conference calgary will have to have a winning percentage equal to that of detroit from here on out to make the playoffs. That simply isnt going to happen. The time for a rebuild is now. If calgary waits too long, its core wont be able to fetch 1sts and prospects as they will be old and on the decline. If you wait for that to happen the only way out is with many years of lottery drafts.... something which people are predicting will happen anyways.... trade iginla and kipper now. Get firsts and prospects now before its too late. Nobody wants to see calgary turn into the next Islanders.

Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:22 AM
Noori

vCash: 50
Last year was the 'off' season. This was the year for our guys to show what they're made of.

I want Iginla traded. This guy deserves to win a cup and it, unfortunately, won't be happening in Calgary any time soon. He's still a game changer that will garner a significant return for Calgary so we can (hopefully) come out strong after a rebuild.

Iginla himself said that he wants to win. If Calgary is rebuilding, Iginla will be moved.

Noori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 04:08 AM
MarkGio

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtonsApple View Post
The time for a rebuild is now. If calgary waits too long, its core wont be able to fetch 1sts and prospects as they will be old and on the decline. If you wait for that to happen the only way out is with many years of lottery drafts.... something which people are predicting will happen anyways.... trade iginla and kipper now. Get firsts and prospects now before its too late. Nobody wants to see calgary turn into the next Islanders.
I'm not sure any team is going to panic this early in the year and give up their first rounders or take on our big contracts. Considering the cap-hit is mostly absorbed by the receiving team this early. Look at the other teams around the league; most contenders are up against the cap, and most teams with plenty NHL cap-space have an inside cap or financial problems, and several teams are still thinking about the future and need their picks & prospects, so tha't leaves a hand full of teams, but the Flames roster can't be distributed among so few teams.

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:52 AM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I'm not sure any team is going to panic this early in the year and give up their first rounders or take on our big contracts. Considering the cap-hit is mostly absorbed by the receiving team this early. Look at the other teams around the league; most contenders are up against the cap, and most teams with plenty NHL cap-space have an inside cap or financial problems, and several teams are still thinking about the future and need their picks & prospects, so tha't leaves a hand full of teams, but the Flames roster can't be distributed among so few teams.
Which is what is sort of scary. I think calgary can get it done though. I can think of 29 teams that would love to have iginla. Sure, not many can eat his contract, but what calgary is after is picks/prospects. Iginla will undoubtedly fetch a first and a good prospect, but calgary will have to eat some salary coming back. Ideally an overpaid guy with 1 year left on his contract. Kipper and Regehr will be able to fetch firsts also. Same deal though, expect cap back.

I can see a lot of teams willing to pick up an elite RW, G and shutdown defenceman come deadline time. Only problem for calgary is they will have to have some cap on the return. A good gm however will ensure that cap is either movable, or a non issue at years end (1 year left). If calgary can notch 3 firsts and some prospects, or even 2 firsts plus their own, they will be able to jump up in the draft and pick up a stud. They could be back on track within 3-4 years, competing with the avs for the division (as at that point nucks will regress likely and avs will be the powerhouse of the nw). If they do nothing, and continue on with the Sutter philosophy of just trying to make the playoffs at all costs.... it "could" potentially be closer to a decade.

Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 03:15 PM
MarkGio

Quote:
If they do nothing, and continue on with the Sutter philosophy of just trying to make the playoffs at all costs.... it "could" potentially be closer to a decade.
I'd agree this team needs to rebuild, and I'm hoping that the new year is when it happens. The problem is that New Jersey might be unloading their roster as well, so Calgary is going to need to have a wholesale before New Jersey does in order to capitalize on teams willing to make moves. But New Jersey might be willing to admit defeat sooner, as there's little chance they can climb the standings, and I don't see Daryl Sutter willing to admit defeat. I hope Sutter swallows his pride and decides to go into rebuild. Maybe he'll get some picks, and maybe he'll trade Iggy to a cup contending team. And then hopefully we see a managment change after the regular season and before the draft.

A few good trading partners to look at is Nashville, L.A, Colorado (if they finally realize they're no longer rebuilding), Tampa Bay, Anaheim, Columbus, Buffalo, and Atlanta. All these teams are contenders with some space. I'd throw in Dallas and Pheonix as well, but I'm not sure if either team is still experiencing ownership/financial issues. I'm not sure about Atlanta and Tampa Bay because both teams are doing very well (cup contenders), but they're both cheap and in poor markets.

Old
12-19-2010, 08:42 PM
GoFlames

Boston.... including Colbourne and Toronto's 1st rounder plus...

GoFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 09:33 PM
fischy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
This, this is the deal I want to see happen........

Re

fischy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFlames View Post
Agreed. Something like

Iginla, Pardy or Mikkelson (Boston's choice) + proverbial trade balancing 2012 2nd round pick

for

Colborne, Toronto's 1st, Ference, Ryder

Salary cap exchange isn't ideal for the Bruins. Looking up and down their roster, I don't really see many bad contracts they can dump.

Old
12-19-2010, 10:38 PM
MarkGio

Everybody around here is fixated on trading with Boston and getting Colbourne, but HockeyFuture's has rated him less than Backlund. Toronto's first is likely to get a great pick, so that I like. I'm not sure trading with Boston is that great of an idea because the GM would have some value in Ryder, I mean after all, Peter Chiarelli did sign him. That Ryder and Ference value can be allocated elswhere for a prospect greater than Colbourne plus more.

Old
12-20-2010, 12:23 AM
Noori

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
Everybody around here is fixated on trading with Boston and getting Colbourne, but HockeyFuture's has rated him less than Backlund. Toronto's first is likely to get a great pick, so that I like. I'm not sure trading with Boston is that great of an idea because the GM would have some value in Ryder, I mean after all, Peter Chiarelli did sign him. That Ryder and Ference value can be allocated elswhere for a prospect greater than Colbourne plus more.
I believe Taylor Hall had the same rating as Backlund. The ratings themselves don't matter. It's the analysis that's important. Colborne is a big dude, skates well, good playmaker. Trust me, this deal would be a hard sell to Bruins fans, might even be wishful thinking on my part.

Old
12-20-2010, 02:51 AM
TheDoctor10
Bigger on the inside

I know I've been a huge proponent of trading Jarome, but I just got an authentic Iggy heritage jersey for my 22nd today, so I'm firmly in the camp of 'He's a Flame for life'; we're already awful with him, maybe we'll get some top-tier talent to help him get a Cup in a Flaming C.

Here's to hope.

TheDoctor10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 06:37 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Its not an off season. The Calgary Flames are a bad team. If Calgary replaced Joker with Savard, they 'could' be a fringe playoff team. As it sits now, Calgary is burdened with huge paydays and ntc's and a team full of underachievers. The absolute worst prospect pool according to hockeyfutures and a gm who seems willing to trade the future to save his job. Things are not good.

For your second point, its not likely the flames will make the playoffs. They are 6 points back and the teams they need to catch pretty much all have 2 games in hand. So its safe to say that they are closer to 8 points back. In an incredibly strong and talented western conference calgary will have to have a winning percentage equal to that of detroit from here on out to make the playoffs. That simply isnt going to happen. The time for a rebuild is now. If calgary waits too long, its core wont be able to fetch 1sts and prospects as they will be old and on the decline. If you wait for that to happen the only way out is with many years of lottery drafts.... something which people are predicting will happen anyways.... trade iginla and kipper now. Get firsts and prospects now before its too late. Nobody wants to see calgary turn into the next Islanders.
Great Avatar

Old
12-20-2010, 06:38 PM
GoFlames

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime View Post
I know I've been a huge proponent of trading Jarome, but I just got an authentic Iggy heritage jersey for my 22nd today, so I'm firmly in the camp of 'He's a Flame for life'; we're already awful with him, maybe we'll get some top-tier talent to help him get a Cup in a Flaming C.

Here's to hope.
I want what you are smoking

Old
12-20-2010, 07:26 PM
MVW

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyirish83 View Post
In saying that i feel really bad for the guy for being thrown under a bus for a slow start to the season. There have been countless threads and rumors of "Iginla trade proposals". I understand fully and completely that the Flames are soon going to be in a rebuild but i would no doubt in my mind keep Iginla. Lose Regehr, Bo, even Borque too but there is no asset on this team as valuable as Iggy! As much as i love Kipper, i would trade him too for the future of the flames.

So you want to trade these guys to rebuild, and you think that by next year the Flames will be be a power house team? Who is going to be left on their roster to put them in that position, all the guys and prospects they pickup? Going into a rebuild requires a minimum of 3 years to turn it around unless you have quality guys in your system like Philly had a few years back. The Flames do not have these types of players in their system.

I think you are unsure if you want a rebuild or not. But I am with you in that I am unsure if I want to Iggy go. I know if we rebuild he should be dealt, I just cannot picture him playing for another team.

MVW is offline   Reply With Quote