HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers tried to move JVR-no takers?

Old
12-19-2010, 07:37 AM
jb**

vCash: 500
Flyers tried to move JVR-no takers?

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...#ixzz18YocPbWY

I dot know how credible this guy is but i have a hard time believing there were no takers. Even a mid rd pick for carcillo i cant believe a team wouldn't take him. As i have said many times it wouldn't surprise me in the least though if JVR is traded. I just get the feeling the organization isnt to fond of him for whatever reason.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 07:42 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Doesn't surprise me. He's a potential star. How many stars/potential stars can you have on this team?

He'll want to get paid in a year or two, and the Flyers likely can't afford to pay everyone.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 08:09 AM
2fast4u2*

I think that guy is full of crap.Someone wouldve taken JVR for a first IMO

2fast4u2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 08:23 AM
ilovetheflyers8

Maybe someone would have, but not CBJ? But, you're right he could be making it up. I hope Carcillo stays in the lineup. There need to be more enforcers like Shawn Thornton.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 08:40 AM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

I remember a year or two ago there were talks with Minny including JvR and Backstrom.

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 08:49 AM
kasper11

I can believe that they couldn't get a first+ for JVR right now....

1) He isn't the type of impact forward (yet) that would make the difference in the playoffs
2) Most contenders are up against the cap
3) Most teams that have a top-10 pick aren't going to move it mid season

Add all that up and I don't see Philly getting appropriate value for JVR right now without salary coming back.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 09:22 AM
Psuhockey

Its going to be an interesting offseason. Somebody with salary is getting moved with only 1.8 million in cap space for four forward positions. Even if the cap goes up by 3 million, they will still need to moved someone.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 09:31 AM
Aucoin3

Trading 1st round picks can be hard. As a (lowly) Islander fan I would love to take JVR onto our roster, but we are almost guaranteed a top 5 pick for the rest of eternity. This year its looking like a top 2 pick. Dont know that I would give a top 2 pick for JVR.

Aucoin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 10:02 AM
BringBackStevens

Trading JVR would be idiotic

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 10:10 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Production at a relatively low cost should be something we want, not something we trade away. Carcillo I could see moving if need be. Trading JVR would be beyond stupid.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 10:14 AM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post
Trading JVR would be idiotic
Trading anyone right now would be idiotic. We're loaded up for a cup run, don't take pieces away.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 10:23 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I don't want to trade JVR but I could see it happening. However I doubt, at least at this point, JVR would get a 1st +. Especially from a bottom feeding team. I am not saying JVR is a bust, and I don't believe he is, but I don't think he is going to be PPG superstar in this league. He will be a solid player a great secondary scorer, but I just don't think his style of play is going to make him that guy that everyone depends on. Nothing against JVR, he's one of my favorite players, but I just don't see him ever being a superstar. Hopefully I'm wrong and he stays in Philly, but we'll see. Also, if they moved JVR as a salary dump move, that would be the dumbest idea in history when you have a guy like Jody Shelley that could simply be waived to clear almost as much as JVR. If JVR is traded for purely salary reasons, I will join in on the Homer hate.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 10:36 AM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Again, hard to emphasize how idiotic trading JVR would be.

Also, for the person saying his contract will be bad, JVR will be doing well to hit 20-25-45 this year and then might crack 50-60 next year...maybe, so he's not going going to be in line for a huge raise.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:19 AM
iceman42

There have been several reports already that Toronto along with several other teams have been trying to get JVR in a trade since the off-season, the Flyers are the ones that have been saying "No".

iceman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:59 AM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Trading anyone right now would be idiotic. We're loaded up for a cup run, don't take pieces away.
I can think of at least one Superstar that could be traded...

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:09 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman42 View Post
There have been several reports already that Toronto along with several other teams have been trying to get JVR in a trade since the off-season, the Flyers are the ones that have been saying "No".
This.

Reports said that Montreal wanted JVR for Halak if they couldn't get Giroux, right? Did we budge? Nope.

As a few others have said, it'd be beyond stupid to move JVR.

Giroux (20-21): 124 GP - 25 G - 49 A - 74 P - 0.60 PPG
TOI/G: EV - 12:58 / PP - 2:17

Carter (20-21): 143 GP - 37 G - 42 A - 79 P - 0.55 PPG
TOI/G: EV - 11:07 / PP - 2:49

Richards (20-21): 138 GP - 21 G - 45 A - 66 P - 0.48 PPG
TOI/G: EV - 11:53 / PP - 1:39

vanRiemsdyk (20-21): 108 GP - 22 G - 28 A - 50 P - 0.46 PPG
TOI/G: EV - 11:50 / PP - 1:13

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 02:13 PM
IrishSniper87

Trade Hartnell before moving JVR.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 04:12 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Keep him. Don't trade him away. Honestly, he will be part of our future.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 04:21 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Trade Hartnell before moving JVR.
This. There aren't many players in the world with JVR's skill set, and once he matures physically he'll be a force. I'd be very upset if the Flyers moved him.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 04:33 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgkibbles View Post
This. There aren't many players in the world with JVR's skill set, and once he matures physically he'll be a force. I'd be very upset if the Flyers moved him.
which skill set would that be?

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 05:16 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
which skill set would that be?
How many players are 6-3 200+ pounds with his hands and speed?

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 05:31 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman42 View Post
The article says they wanted a first rounder and another pick for JVR. Toronto doesn't have a first and likely won't move their 2012 first. It could be that the Flyers felt they had nothing to offer. Doesn't mean this article is necessarily incorrect.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:11 PM
rban*

People seem to often forget that Briere makes 6.5 mil a year and is 33 years old and signed for another 5 years.

How good will he be and will he be worth over 6 mil/yr when he hits 35 and over?

Right now the primary offensive Philly core is Briere-Giroux-Richards-Carter, but of that foursome only the last three are young and signed for decent contracts.

It is quite possible that after a couple of years, efforts will be on to trade Briere. In fact I can see a situation where Briere, Prongs, and Timos perfromance all drop off a cliff due to age.

In that case Briere will be traded... and the logical thing to do would be to trade him for a star defenceman who is good enough to do what Prongs or Timo are doing now. And if so, a cheap and effective JVR would be a candidate to take Briere's place.

Keep him and see how JVR develops.

rban* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by rban View Post
People seem to often forget that Briere makes 6.5 mil a year and is 33 years old and signed for another 5 years.

How good will he be and will he be worth over 6 mil/yr when he hits 35 and over?

Right now the primary offensive Philly core is Briere-Giroux-Richards-Carter, but of that foursome only the last three are young and signed for decent contracts.

It is quite possible that after a couple of years, efforts will be on to trade Briere. In fact I can see a situation where Briere, Prongs, and Timos perfromance all drop off a cliff due to age.

In that case Briere will be traded... and the logical thing to do would be to trade him for a star defenceman who is good enough to do what Prongs or Timo are doing now.
And if so, a cheap and effective JVR would be a candidate to take Briere's place.

Keep him and see how JVR develops.
QUESTION: If Briere's performance drops off a cliff... How will the Flyers be able to get a star defenceman back for him who is good enough to do what Pronger or Timonan is doing now while they are still playing great?

... Besides the obvious, please keep in mind that Briere's NMC would restrict the trade possibilities since he would have to agree to waive the clause and would most likely not agree to for the lower level teams or for certain markets.

All that said, I suppose you mean JvR would be a candidate for Briere's vacated center position... and not his role. He would be vying with Giroux who would have an edge in moving back to center.

I personally believe that Briere could be a force throughout his career, even at an older age. He has the savvy and is clutch and able to raise his play to the next level when needed... His speed, even if reduced, and nasty play could make him valuable down the line also.

To me if JvR were to be moved, it would be due to the Flyers losing faith in his fitting in to the team moving forward... So if they keep him it would be to establish him in a position of need and of what could be his strength. I don't see them looking at him as a center on a team where center is a strength... Power forward at wing is a need, IMO.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 08:54 PM
phillyfanatic

I read this thread and laugh. Freakin Toronto. JVR was almost traded there. Just like Carter was a done deal for Kaberle and has almost been traded there many times. Oddly enough, Homer has said repeatedly that he has never and will never pursue trading Jeff Carter. This is just the good folks at TSN and the many other Toronto based media outlets "speculating" which is reported elsewhere and later becomes discussed as internet fact.

Carter wasn't almost traded, JVR is not being shopped, Zherdev is not being shopped. It all stinks of bull **** to me.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote