HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What kind of Vet would fit Isles..

Old
12-18-2010, 12:52 PM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFanatic View Post
Yes, OTH scoring punch. I didnt mean that just in goals, but assists and pts as well. Thats why I think Richards (creates more than he scores) would be perfect!!!!
cool. Just clarifying. We need Oates, not Hull.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 01:34 PM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Some perspective.

Moulson and Tavares lead the team in CAREER NHL GOALS.
(maybe comeau is close)

Shameful.

How about some players between 26 and 36 who have actual NHL ability and some level of success?

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 01:36 PM
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Some perspective.

(maybe comeau is close)

Shameful.

How about some players between 26 and 36 who have actual NHL ability and some level of success?
Thats ****ing disgusting. Just absolutely awful. No offense to those two guys at all. The shot is at Snow, not the players. Thats just inexcusable as far a sit goes for a GM. Inexcusable. No rational thinking GM thinks that team is good. It can't be possible to be that stupid.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:59 PM
OhNoItsComeau57

Quote:
Some perspective.

(maybe comeau is close)

Shameful.

This is not true. Maybe if you exclude the guys that are hurt it is, but not for the roster Snow assembeled in the summer

Weight = 278
Hunter = 99
Streit = 52
Moulson = 47
Okposo = 39
Comeau= 38
Tavares = 32

Now I'm not saying I think Snow did a perfect job. In fact I agree we are lacking vets in a big way. Your statement was just pretty damning and not correct.

OhNoItsComeau57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 04:08 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoItsComeau57 View Post
This is not true. Maybe if you exclude the guys that are hurt it is, but not for the roster Snow assembeled in the summer

Weight = 278
Hunter = 99
Streit = 52
Moulson = 47
Okposo = 39
Comeau= 38
Tavares = 32

Now I'm not saying I think Snow did a perfect job. In fact I agree we are lacking vets in a big way. Your statement was just pretty damning and not correct.
Maybe he meant ACTIVE players. Even then Comeau proves this wrong - though he did qualify it.

The disturbing part is ONE player with 100+ goals (who is not scoring anything this year).

Old
12-18-2010, 11:25 PM
majormet

I tend to feel that a guy like Dustin Penner would be the right fit for this team.

The ideal player would be Eric Staal, but we could trade our whole roster to Carolina and still not get him.

majormet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 11:59 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
We need a guy who can create room and dish the puck off. We need Trottier and people are clamoring for another Bossy. So we relive the winger for Yash debacle until we ascertain what we truly need. (also, said playmaker should be above par speed and defensive ability)
I agree, and it'd be even better if he could bring a physical game as well (would open more room). In other words, Trottier (let's say, circa 1981-2) would be absolutely perfect. Bertuzzi circa 2002-3 would also do in a pinch.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:09 AM
redbull
springtime hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoItsComeau57 View Post

Weight = 278
Hunter = 99
Streit = 52
Moulson = 47
Okposo = 39
Comeau= 38
Tavares = 32

I meant active players as in, on the roster this year. You exclude Okposo and Streit, Weight is far over the hill, but even guys that play top 9 big minutes and are expected to produce, despite promise at SOME POINT in their lives, they haven't accomplished ANYTHING at the NHL level.

I haven't looked at other teams in detail but I seriously doubt there's been a team in NHL history with such unaccomplished forwards.

And it's not to say that these guys are especially young (there are no teenagers as JT just turned 20 and the youngest might be Grabner at 23, Schremp 24, Parenteau is 27, Nielsen almost 27)

how they have ZERO players between 26 - 36 than can play, that are close to their prime, that have had some success in the NHL - ZERO PLAYERS?!

This team was almost designed to fail.

Last edited by redbull: 12-19-2010 at 01:04 AM.
redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:44 AM
Sidney the Kidney
We got Kessel?!

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Almost?

In seriousness, it really does boggle the mind how any professional organization would intentionally put this roster together, and hope that it would be anything more than battling for the 1st overall selection.

The situation it finds itself in is that, at this point in the year, it's nearly impossible to acquire the type of players (plural, because one guy ain't cutting it) that would help turn the fortunes if not of the entire team, but at least of its young players around, without having to overpay drastically for it.

This team needs guys who can pass, skate, shoot, play physical, and play well defensively. That's the kind of thing you address in the off-season, not mid-season when all that's usually available are other teams' flawed players.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 01:22 AM
OhNoItsComeau57

Quote:
I meant active players as in, on the roster this year. You exclude Okposo and Streit, Weight is far over the hill, but even guys that play top 9 big minutes and are expected to produce, despite promise at SOME POINT in their lives, they haven't accomplished ANYTHING at the NHL level.

I haven't looked at other teams in detail but I seriously doubt there's been a team in NHL history with such unaccomplished forwards.

And it's not to say that these guys are especially young (there are no teenagers as JT just turned 20 and the youngest might be Grabner at 23, Schremp 24, Parenteau is 27, Nielsen almost 27)

how they have ZERO players between 26 - 36 than can play, that are close to their prime, that have had some success in the NHL - ZERO PLAYERS?!

I agree with you. I think overall the way this team was constructed was not built to succeed. If you see some of my other posts in other threads I strongly believe that at least 2 contributing, still have tread on the tires veterans, are a must this summer.

My point was that I thought your point was used to add emphasis to our scoring woes but was not factually correct, but I agree overall we have too many guys without track records. One thing I will say about Snow is that it is not completely fair to judge the roster and exclude injured players. A team is built in the summer and you dont know what kind of injuries you will have. So while I think we dont have enough established guys now, on September 1st we had a few more that we thought could contribute this year.

OhNoItsComeau57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 02:06 AM
straka91*

Souray and Striet on the pp with Tavares Okposo and Bailey would produce some results. And Souray only has 1 year, I can only see more reward than risk. But what assets do we have to give up? Roloston?

straka91* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 07:19 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Martin St. Louis?

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 07:43 AM
kasper11

The team need skill, plain and simple.

Goal scoring is a definite need. Moulson, Hunter and Weight are the only players on the roster that have ever hit 20 goals in the NHL.

Weight and Streit are the only players who have hit 30 assists.

That is pathetic, but it only scratches the surface.

Have you ever seen this team try to move the puck out of its own zone? Get through the neutral zone?

We need dmen that can make a first pass, forwards who can handle the puck. We need players that make good decisions with the puck.

It doesn't have to be stars....the d is already starting to look a little better as players come back from injury. Streit will be back next year. One more top-4 type will make a huge difference.

Upfront, we can hope that Okposo and Bailey make a difference for this team next year, but at least two top-6 types are needed. Vets that play smart, can be counted on to score 20+, can pass the puck.

A forward that can man the point on the power play would be perfect for this team, but truthfully, anyone that can take the pressure off Tavares/Moulson will be a huge help.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 07:58 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Maybe he meant ACTIVE players. Even then Comeau proves this wrong - though he did qualify it.

The disturbing part is ONE player with 100+ goals (who is not scoring anything this year).

Then he should clarify.Cause his over the top statements have gotten plain silly imo:the core is rotten from top to bottom,KO and Tavares have been set up to fail and are failing,Moulson and Tavares have the most career nhl goals on the roster

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 08:01 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by straka91 View Post
Souray and Striet on the pp with Tavares Okposo and Bailey would produce some results. And Souray only has 1 year, I can only see more reward than risk. But what assets do we have to give up? Roloston?

If the isles are gonna sink $5m per into a new contract,I'd rather see them spending on a 1st liner winger for Tavares. Not an oft injured Souray.

Old
12-19-2010, 09:54 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
If the isles are gonna sink $5m per into a new contract,I'd rather see them spending on a 1st liner winger for Tavares. Not an oft injured Souray.
I can't see a legit first line winger coming here for $5M. I see a second line type, the type that would get $4M from a good team, coming here for $5M.

Still, with the cap room this team has, I would take it.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:22 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasper11 View Post
I can't see a legit first line winger coming here for $5M. I see a second line type, the type that would get $4M from a good team, coming here for $5M.

Still, with the cap room this team has, I would take it.

I'll take a quality 2nd liner winger.I just want one who's still got plenty left in the tank.

Old
12-19-2010, 11:55 AM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyToOkposo View Post
out of everyone u choice a mike sillinger type of player?????
I love how all we need is that clutch goal.

I'd look for a top six center (Bailey and Tavares are not ready to share that role), a number one d-man, a top four d-man, and preferably two wingers, one with speed to burn and someone who can bring a consistent power game. Simply the team needs multiple players who have a track record we can look at. We don't have any guys with a meaningful track record and those that do are injured or too old.

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:03 PM
Isles Junkie
Brian Strait Sucks

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:26 PM
tool123

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyToOkposo View Post
out of everyone u choice a mike sillinger type of player?????
You want me to be realistic or talk out of my ass (school of GMG)?

Oh yeah, Richards and Semin....That will happen!!! But I don't know if it makes sense for GMG! If the last 3 years of the FA period is any indication of what to expect from GMG, he'll be looking for the next PAP.

tool123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 01:41 PM
OlTimeHockey

In August....Garth will say he's got them right where he wants them. He'll have spoken to an agent telling him he's "interested" (but never make an offer) and they'll replace the mirror in the bathroom (and put in nice TP rollers) to make the players more interested in coming to LI.

Old
12-19-2010, 02:33 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Step 1: Build time machine. Go to 1976. Kidnap Denis Potvin.

Step 2: Go to 1987. Kidnap Claude Lemieux.

Step 3: Go to 1993. Kidnap Esa Tikkanen.

Brainwash Scotty Bowman & Mike Keenan to take GM/Head Coach roles.

It's fun to dream...

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 04:35 PM
Hipster Doofus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landmine Springs View Post
Step 1: Build time machine. Go to 1976. Kidnap Denis Potvin.

Step 2: Go to 1987. Kidnap Claude Lemieux.

Step 3: Go to 1993. Kidnap Esa Tikkanen.

Brainwash Scotty Bowman & Mike Keenan to take GM/Head Coach roles.

It's fun to dream...
Mike Keenan. The same Mike Keenan who got run of every team eh's ever coached? I never knew he was overrated to the point of being mentioned in the same sentence as Bowman. I just assumed he was universally acknowledged as being a terrible one trick gimmick.

Though maybe if we acquired Jokinen and the plan was to resurrect his career...

Hipster Doofus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 04:39 PM
CanseiDeSerBreakcore
One More Astronaut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster Doofus View Post
Mike Keenan. The same Mike Keenan who got run of every team eh's ever coached? I never knew he was overrated to the point of being mentioned in the same sentence as Bowman. I just assumed he was universally acknowledged as being a terrible one trick gimmick.

Though maybe if we acquired Jokinen and the plan was to resurrect his career...
Oh, only for starters.....he's nothing special, but he's a loud, angry ball of hate. I just want to see the Islanders play like Attila the Hun institutes a reign of terror after every loss.

CanseiDeSerBreakcore is offline   Reply With Quote