HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Outdoor game in Florida/Cali?

Old
12-19-2010, 05:31 PM
wjhl2009fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
This is their only validation for living in miserable climates.
Living in ottawa were the second coldest capital in the world and i love it i would not trade that for a warm winter.Going to the rink on new years eve day -25 playing a great game of pond hockey nothing beats it.Is the weather miserable no not at all the weather is good and many love it.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 05:51 PM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
Quote:
This is their only validation for living in miserable climates.
I guess it depends on your definition of miserable.

Miserable to me is limited change.

Life is playing road hockey when it's minus 10 and you work up such a sweat you have to take your coat off.

Life is skating when it's zero and drinking hot chocolate as songs of Christmas reign down on the out door rink.

Life is getting up at 5am to get to your sons hockey practice and having to scrape the car window of ice, as he throws snow balls at you.

Life is driving to that practice and stopping for a Timmy's.

Life is volunteering to put up lights at the local out door rink and flooding it as the kids cheer you on.

Then there's ice fishing and if you haven't ice fished; you haven't lived.

There's so much more but you get my point.

So, for you it's miserable. For me, it's Life and I wouldn't want it any other way.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:12 PM
Sad Leafs fan

vCash: 1807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
I'd prefer to see the winter classic played in Non nhl cities. South or North makes no difference to me. A non NHL city would make for an awsome road trip for the hardcore fans and bring the game closer to the casual fans that can't attend a live game.
I agree. I'd love to see games in Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Quebec City or Halifax.

But that's not going to happen.

The NHL wants to grow the game. They think the game can't grow in Canada...how wrong they are.

The powers to be, care little about you or I.

2525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:12 PM
krudmonk

It was just a windup, guys. I'll just go back to my lawn chair and bask in what is alleged to be constant 80-degree sunshine....

krudmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:33 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkamp View Post
The idea is to grow the game. Nothing less, nothing more.
Then why haven't they brought Southern teams into the WC yet? IF I'm living in a southern market why am I going to care about the Flyers playing the Bruins? If they had Phoenix or Atlanta or Florida as the visiting team I might have more reason to be interested because they're the local team. As-is the WC only serves those from hockey markets anyway, where's this oft-talked about 'growth' coming from?

CorbeauNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Overkamp

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
Then why haven't they brought Southern teams into the WC yet? IF I'm living in a southern market why am I going to care about the Flyers playing the Bruins? If they had Phoenix or Atlanta or Florida as the visiting team I might have more reason to be interested because they're the local team. As-is the WC only serves those from hockey markets anyway, where's this oft-talked about 'growth' coming from?
I never suggested playing an outdoor game in the middle of nowhere where teams don't exist to spur interest and growth.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 06:40 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
I never suggested playing an outdoor game in the middle of nowhere where teams don't exist to spur interest and growth.
and...how does that address ANYthing I brought up? I never said anything about playing games in the middle of nowhere, I asked why sunbelt teams haven't already been involved in the WC if the purpose is in effect to grow the game in those markets? There's nothing 'middle of nowhere' about having Atlanta or Florida playing against the Rangers.

Old
12-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Overkamp

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
and...how does that address ANYthing I brought up? I never said anything about playing games in the middle of nowhere, I asked why sunbelt teams haven't already been involved in the WC if the purpose is in effect to grow the game in those markets? There's nothing 'middle of nowhere' about having Atlanta or Florida playing against the Rangers.
Apologies. I didn't understand your question in the first post. To answer your question I could just tell you I don't know. You'd have to ask the powers that be why they haven't been included in a WC yet. I'd speculate that it's still such a novel event that we haven't got that far yet. What is thisn year 3, 4 of the WC? The point of my previous post is that the WC is in fact an event to grow the game, obtain new fans and rake in the cash. In my opinion, it's only a matter of time before games such as the WC (if not the WC) will be played in some of the aforementioned areas.

Overkamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 07:15 PM
CorbeauNoir

Quote:
Apologies. I didn't understand your question in the first post. To answer your question I could just tell you I don't know. You'd have to ask the powers that be why they haven't been included in a WC yet. I'd speculate that it's still such a novel event that we haven't got that far yet. What is thisn year 3, 4 of the WC? The point of my previous post is that the WC is in fact an event to grow the game, obtain new fans and rake in the cash. In my opinion, it's only a matter of time before games such as the WC (if not the WC) will be played in some of the aforementioned areas.
What I'm wondering is where the source of that growth has been coming from up to this point? One of the oft-repeated arguments against having more Canadian teams is that there's supposedly no potential for growth. I find that contentious for reasons I won't get into, but by that logic where's the growth in having a team like Detroit being involved in the WC when they get great attendance wherever they go anyway?

I dunno, the idea of having regular outdoor games is one I really like but the entire event just seems to be executed in a manner that's completely ass-backwards to its supposed intentions.

Old
12-19-2010, 09:38 PM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
SJ-SF ~75 minutes by car

SJ-Tahoe 4+ hours by car (without any weather issues)
75 mins? What's your car, a Pinto?

Quote:
Yeah, might as well make a vacation out of it where there's guaranteed snow instead of spending 2+ hours in the car just going to another city and back. Of course, the crowd would be much smaller than what we've seen in past games, but that's also the case in an awkwardly configured baseball stadium.
There isn't even a stadium in Tahoe, you'd be talking about a temporary facility. NBC wants strongly recognizable venues, hence last year's game at Fenway Park. If this ever happened there is no way they'd have the Sharks playing anywhere else.

Besides, having it in Tahoe is a recipe for 7,000 people there.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Rocko604

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
Its a bit different you can't compare soccer to hockey that way.One of the appeals of soccer is it can be played any where not matter the weather.
Can't a guy be facetious about technology?

Rocko604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 12:05 AM
krudmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsByTheBay View Post
There isn't even a stadium in Tahoe, you'd be talking about a temporary facility. NBC wants strongly recognizable venues, hence last year's game at Fenway Park. If this ever happened there is no way they'd have the Sharks playing anywhere else.
Something like this to fit a hockey rink would be perfect.

I know Giants fans like to think SB&TBell Park is the greatest thing in the world, but it's not going to sell a hockey game to the rest of the country.
Quote:
Besides, having it in Tahoe is a recipe for 7,000 people there.
Right, because nobody would ever go to Tahoe for New Year's...

krudmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 10:38 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
75 mins? What's your car, a Pinto?
Traffic, m'dear. And there's weather, parking.

Google maps shows about 50 minutes from the Tank to AT&T. But if you've ever tried to get to downtown SF for a concert, show, there's always more time needed.

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 11:01 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I'd like to give this idea the benefit of the doubt, but I just don't see the purpose. Playing outdoors in the Florida doesn't really hearken back to the roots of the game, and it's unlikely to draw a staggeringly huge crowd, so why exactly would you go to the trouble?

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 11:03 AM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I'd like to give this idea the benefit of the doubt, but I just don't see the purpose. Playing outdoors in the Florida doesn't really hearken back to the roots of the game, and it's unlikely to draw a staggeringly huge crowd, so why exactly would you go to the trouble?
Nice understanding post. I'd find it really hard to draw people to a surfing contest on Lake Superior.

Last edited by CC Chiefs*: 12-20-2010 at 05:50 PM.
CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
I think it would be easy for the league to market a game at AT&T Park. Selling out a 40k stadium isn't the issue. Being a national draw might be but that is dependent on how it's marketed. Saying it couldn't sell nationally is ridiculous. Saying it will is equally ridiculous. I think it definitely can have an appeal to a casual crowd overlooking the bay with the novelty of a hockey game being played outdoors in California. I can understand the defense of keeping it in cold-weather climate but I don't think the NHL will forever pigeonhole that event every year into what it is. Eventually, they will want to sell the growth of the game and how far the game has come and a Winter Classic in California or Texas or Florida would be a great way to do that. I do believe though that this kind of idea would only happen once in a very great while and not consistently like the current setup. But it definitely can work.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote