HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Andrew Brunette

Old
12-18-2010, 03:29 AM
High Flying Birds

vCash: 500
Andrew Brunette

Pens could use a relatively affordable and still useful winger to help with Geno when he eventually centers the 2nd line again (though the Staal and Malkin experiment is bound to happen) Brunette still has some skills and is approaching UFA territory. I haven't seen too many Wild fans around these parts but what would it take from a Penguins POV? I'm thinking something along the line of what Isles got for Guerin a few years back, which was a conditional draft pick.... I believe.

High Flying Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 04:23 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

2nd round pick and someone like Dustin Jeffrey.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:18 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Brunette wouldn't interest me unless the asking price is really low like it was with Guerin a few years ago. He's 37 and we only want to rent the guy for the playoffs. We probably won't even re-sign him. I'd give a mid-late pick for that, but not a good prospect like Jeffrey etc.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 06:16 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
2nd round pick and someone like Dustin Jeffrey.
Don't think you'd get a good prospect like Jeffrey and a 2nd. Probably a 2nd + mid level prospect or Jeffrey + late round pick.

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 07:11 AM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Brunette is a pretty effective player for the Wild and wants to be there (he went back as a UFA after playing a few years for the Avalanche).

I don't think they're really in a position to be turning top six forwards away and I don't think the Penguins can afford (anymore) to offer up the kind of return it would take for the Wild to seriously consider this.

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Brunette is a pretty effective player for the Wild and wants to be there (he went back as a UFA after playing a few years for the Avalanche).

I don't think they're really in a position to be turning top six forwards away and I don't think the Penguins can afford (anymore) to offer up the kind of return it would take for the Wild to seriously consider this.
It'd be surprising if the Wild didn't deal a 37 year old impending UFA for that sort of offer if they're out of the playoffs at the deadline.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 08:09 AM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

If that's what it costs for Brunette at the deadline, I would pull the trigger 100%. He'd be a perfect addition to the Penguins. Even Jeffrey and the 2nd would be worth it, the Pens don't lose anything significant to them long term and add a terrific player for a playoff run.

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan101 View Post
If that's what it costs for Brunette at the deadline, I would pull the trigger 100%. He'd be a perfect addition to the Penguins. Even Jeffrey and the 2nd would be worth it, the Pens don't lose anything significant to them long term and add a terrific player for a playoff run.
How can you possibly say they won't lose anything significant long-term with the way Jeffrey's been playing?

He's the same age as Pacioretty, has produced at a better pace in the AHL, and leads that league in shorthanded points.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Bullrun

I am very certain Brunette will be leaving the wild this season.

It was obviously a mistake the first time around to let him leave and when they got him back it was great because he produces at a higher level than his cap, he is a great leader, and just a solid character guy. However, I just get the sense that his time in minny is coming to an end.

Keep in mind that Fletcher didn't bring him back, that was DR and Fletch is under a lot of pressure to make this team younger and better for the longterm.

I absolutely love the guy and he is certainly the keeper of the best franchise memory (for me at least 03 playoffs) but it is probably time he left. Consider that even if Bruno stayed you'd have:

Bruno, UFA
Cullen
Koivu
PMB (has looked great since returning from concussion)
Havlat
Latendresse (needs top 6 to score like he did)

Thats a list of players who need top 6 time to produce, not to mention the players the wild is hoping break out into something big Granlund and Wellman.

Furthermore, all of the players stated above (players who need to be in top 6 to be worth their price) are representing one of the lowest scoring teams in the league.

Fletcher will no doubt want to make a move for a legit scorer, so people need to shuffle out.

Bullrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 02:26 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

I want Bruno to go to the Pens this season.

All things considered, a 2nd and C prospect at forward would be enough for me.

bozak911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 02:34 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post

2nd + Nick Johnson?

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:17 PM
High Flying Birds

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
2nd + Nick Johnson?
Or 2nd + Keven Veilleux

High Flying Birds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:28 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozak911 View Post

Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rico Fata View Post
Or 2nd + Keven Veilleux
Like this. Fletcher was on board when Veilleux was drafted, size and center depth are big needs for our team IMO.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 03:41 PM
PensFan101
Forever Champions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
How can you possibly say they won't lose anything significant long-term with the way Jeffrey's been playing?

He's the same age as Pacioretty, has produced at a better pace in the AHL, and leads that league in shorthanded points.
As much as Jeffrey is a quality young player and a guy who is going to be in the NHL one day, I wouldn't consider him a future core player with Pittsburgh. He's one of those guys that has produced well at the AHL level but there's still a lot of mystery as to whether he'll be a Top Six producer at the NHL level (Re: 40+ points), and especially with Pittsburgh.

Given that Pittsburgh has plenty of other players who can fill a third line centre role (like Letestu is now), Jeffrey will either have to break through in the Top 6 or push someone out of the Top 9 to really stake a claim to a long term role in Pittsburgh.

At the very least, he's not going to be doing that this season in all likelihood. Given the absolute dearth of Top 6 wingers in Pittsburgh this season (Dupuis and Kunitz, the list ends there), adding a player like Brunette would be a huge upgrade.

While it's fair to say that a 2nd AND Jeffrey is a little steep for an older, one and done with Pittsburgh rental, Jeffrey is the kind of prospect that teams covet at the deadline. So realistically, a deal like that would be a lower pick with Jeffrey, or a lesser prospect with the 2nd (or some combination among that).

PensFan101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 04:46 PM
mgd525

Last year I wanted the Pens to get Brunette very badly. This year i just dunno, he's on his worse pace for points since 98. Father time could be catching up and with the Penguins style play i don't know how well he would fit in. Given i have seen him play one time this year. If some miny fans would like to give some insight on whats going on this year. I know your offense is bad in general.

mgd525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:03 PM
rafterman

vCash: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd525 View Post
Last year I wanted the Pens to get Brunette very badly. This year i just dunno, he's on his worse pace for points since 98. Father time could be catching up and with the Penguins style play i don't know how well he would fit in. Given i have seen him play one time this year. If some miny fans would like to give some insight on whats going on this year. I know your offense is bad in general.
Time catching up doesn't matter much in Bruno's case, he's always moved like he's skating in concrete. But give him the puck along the boards and no one is going to take it away. He's a defensive liablility simply because of his lack of speed, but he's got a ton of hockey sense.

I don't see anything really different in this year vs. last year. Mikko not playing well and Richards unwavering devotion to Mittens on that top line have more to do with numbers being worse. Bruno's pretty much the same player he's been for the last 2-3 years.

(and how can you not like a guy that a couple weeks ago made a comment about most of his breakaways being from the hash marks in)

Last edited by rafterman: 12-18-2010 at 05:14 PM.
rafterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-18-2010, 05:05 PM
mgd525

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafterman View Post
Time catching up doesn't matter much in Bruno's case, he's always moved like he's skating in concrete. But give him the puck along the boards and no one is going to take it away. He's a defensive liablility simply because of his lack of speed, but he's got a ton of hockey sense.

I don't see anything really different in this year vs. last year. Mikko not playing well and Richards unwavering devotion to Mittens on that top line have more to do with numbers being worse. Bruno's pretty much the same player he's been for the last 2-3 years.
thank you.

mgd525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 02:14 AM
WildisLaw
Just win, baby

A bunch of teams will come calling at the deadline. At least a 2nd, maybe even a first.

WildisLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 09:08 AM
forthewild

Bruno is slow but he's is effective with the right team, he is a great team guy great character lovable by the fan base, and on a team like Pit he can be really good, he is still a beast in the corners, he can still produce.

He doesn't fit what the Wild are trying to do, but he'd be great on PIT would give them an even better shot at the cup.

I think Wild would want a prospect at least and maybe a pick depending on the prospect, Bruno is a force tho he can help a team.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:18 AM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

If a team is looking at Brunette its because he has immense value come playoff time. He's so strong down low, wins puck battles, DRAWS PENALTIES, great locker room guy, distributes the puck wonderfully, and isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas to score goals. And he's durable, so he's not going to break down as time goes on.

The playoffs just aren't as up and down the ice as the regular season, so the need to be as swift a skater isn't as much a necessity.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:21 AM
North Metro Peewees

I would say the Pens would find Bruno to be a much more productive acquisition than Billy Guerin was.

North Metro Peewees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 10:29 PM
MattPreds37

i wouldn't mind him for a song in Nashville. He scored the first ever Predators goal, it would nice to see him score his last one as a Predators player.

MattPreds37 is offline   Reply With Quote