HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Trade Briere instead of Gagne

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-19-2010, 10:39 AM
  #76
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Yeah, 4 more years after this one could get ugly. Still though, he's a workout freak and has really been pretty solid since that first year, gotta give him credit.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:21 AM
  #77
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier
 
flyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Seward, Alaska
Country: United States
Posts: 6,188
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Look at what St. Louis is doing in Tampa though. Although most would consider St. Louis to be more skilled, it shows that small guys can still be productive in their older years.

The only big argument against this is that while St. Louis is ~2 years older than Briere, they have pretty much played about the same number of full NHL seasons, so St. Louis has less wear on him at his age than Briere will have. Either way, he may not be worth his cap hit in two years, or even next year, but he could still be a productive player on this team which counts for something.

flyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:37 AM
  #78
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
If Briere is still playing close to this level in 4 years, it will be awesome but we can't bank on it

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:58 AM
  #79
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
As great as Briere is, the team would likely jump at the chance of dumping his salary in the offseason.

If he stays on the full length of his contract then, hopefully, he can remain effective on the PP and play a limited ES role.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:12 PM
  #80
captainpaxil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
ive long been an advocate that player inflation due to the increasing cap will benefit us tremendously when it comes time to move briere. after this season i think hell have fully transitioned from a bad contract to simply a big one.

compare briere at his current pace (40/22/62) and price(4 years 19 mil), even with his age(33) and he looks pretty favorable in this years ufa crop. while i doubt hell pot 40 goals i also think his point total will be higher as well as follow the year with valuable playoff contributions.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:20 PM
  #81
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
ive long been an advocate that player inflation due to the increasing cap will benefit us tremendously when it comes time to move briere. after this season i think hell have fully transitioned from a bad contract to simply a big one.

compare briere at his current pace (40/22/62) and price(4 years 19 mil), even with his age(33) and he looks pretty favorable in this years ufa crop. while i doubt hell pot 40 goals i also think his point total will be higher as well as follow the year with valuable playoff contributions.
40 goals looks pretty favorable... lol.

If Briere hits 40 goals then his contract goes from bad to well-deserved pretty damn quickly.


Last edited by Valhoun*: 12-19-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:32 PM
  #82
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,245
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
ive long been an advocate that player inflation due to the increasing cap will benefit us tremendously when it comes time to move briere. after this season i think hell have fully transitioned from a bad contract to simply a big one.

compare briere at his current pace (40/22/62) and price(4 years 19 mil), even with his age(33) and he looks pretty favorable in this years ufa crop. while i doubt hell pot 40 goals i also think his point total will be higher as well as follow the year with valuable playoff contributions.
I would be willing to bet a lot of money that Briere does not score 40 this season.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 12:40 PM
  #83
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I would be willing to bet a lot of money that Briere does not score 40 this season.
he should also get more than 22 assists, so meh

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 09:32 PM
  #84
captainpaxil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I would be willing to bet a lot of money that Briere does not score 40 this season.
30 isnt out of the question though and he makes his money on assists. if he hovers around the ppg mark i wont be surprised

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 10:11 PM
  #85
DickTony
Registered User
 
DickTony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: West Chester, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,024
vCash: 500
If Briere puts up 80 this season and 30 in the playoffs, we'll call it fair

DickTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:14 PM
  #86
Viller
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,044
vCash: 500
Briere is one of Holmgren's players, no way they trade him just for this fact.

Hes still #1 in playoff production since the lockout right? You dont get rid of that, ever.

I dont get why people are so god damn worried about the cap when the Flyers are doing just fine. Nothing wrong with squeezing every penny out of that cap. Teams that want to win the cup will have to do this. I thought the cap was going up 3 or 4 millions this summer, that plus the players that will be leaving will be more than plenty....

Viller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 11:44 PM
  #87
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,063
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viller View Post
Briere is one of Holmgren's players, no way they trade him just for this fact.

Hes still #1 in playoff production since the lockout right? You dont get rid of that, ever.

I dont get why people are so god damn worried about the cap when the Flyers are doing just fine. Nothing wrong with squeezing every penny out of that cap. Teams that want to win the cup will have to do this. I thought the cap was going up 3 or 4 millions this summer, that plus the players that will be leaving will be more than plenty....
Instead of playing it close to the cap, Homer should be giving himself lots of room so that he can acquire an elite scorer at the deadline. Someone like Zherdev.

D'Oh!

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 12:28 AM
  #88
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers
 
six sigma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Washington State
Posts: 2,883
vCash: 500
I don't even think the deal is too long. Briere does his scoring by sneaking around the net, and he won't lose that as he ages.

We're used to this in the playoffs, but I'm stoked that he has been in that form all season already.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 12:40 AM
  #89
Valhoun*
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 10,311
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
he should also get more than 22 assists, so meh
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
30 isnt out of the question though and he makes his money on assists. if he hovers around the ppg mark i wont be surprised
I think that line has changed the type of player that Briere is. He's looking to shoot more knowing that Leino and Hartnell will be there to either deflect or bang in the dirty goal. None of them are going to rack up a huge amount of assists but that doesn't mean that they aren't instrumental to the goal.

That line is on pace to have a 50, 60, and 70 point scorer. That's quality scoring depth.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 12:54 AM
  #90
RU Flyerfan
 
RU Flyerfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
I absolutely love Briere and the HBL in general. It would be a shame to see Briere leave in the offseason. He's having a great year so far and we all know he's money in the playoffs. Those are the players you want on your roster. Right now, he's worth every penny imo.

RU Flyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 07:42 AM
  #91
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Duberstein View Post
uh, no dude, three years ago. the FLYERS waived him. he was not claimed. thanks for playing.
haha this is funny.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 10:59 AM
  #92
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Instead of playing it close to the cap, Homer should be giving himself lots of room so that he can acquire an elite scorer at the deadline. Someone like Zherdev.

D'Oh!
LOL. Or perhaps add to the defence with a stud guy like Meszaros. Double D'oh!

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 11:17 AM
  #93
agrudez*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: South Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 2,612
vCash: 500
LOLOLOLOLOL or perhaps have some cap room saved up in case our rookie phenom goalie ends up wearing down from playing more than twice as many games this season as he ever has before, our historically streaky backup comes back to Earth and our wretched 3rd stringer can't get healthy enough to return to his usual "not an NHL caliber goalie" form.

AMIRIGHT GUYS?! THAT WOULD BE CRAAAAAAAAAAAAZY! : laugh::l augh:

Edit. TRIPLE D'OH!!!!!!!

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 11:27 AM
  #94
phillyfanatic
Registered User
 
phillyfanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,631
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
LOLOLOLOLOL or perhaps have some cap room saved up in case our rookie phenom goalie ends up wearing down from playing more than twice as many games this season as he ever has before, our historically streaky backup comes back to Earth and our wretched 3rd stringer can't get healthy enough to return to his usual "not an NHL caliber goalie" form.

AMIRIGHT GUYS?! THAT WOULD BE CRAAAAAAAAAAAAZY! : laugh::l augh:

Edit. TRIPLE D'OH!!!!!!!
P.S. I still don't see why we can't make a move at the deadline. We are rocking 3 goalies, 8 D and 14 forwards. Waive Walker 1.7, Leighton 1.5 and you have plenty of money to upgrade at the deadline if you choose. We are just using the depth in the NHL right now, we do not need a 25 man roster after the trade deadline....but the depth is already paying off. And the extra bodies allow us flexibility at the deadline if required. Or at least that is how I see it.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.