HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Phillies' Baseball (MLB): Happy Halladays and a Merry Cliffmas!

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2010, 11:57 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
I think it is time this Blue Jay fan turns to the city of Philadelphia for a team to cheer for. As a die hard Flyer fan and a double die hard Roy Halladay fan......seems like a natural. Like other non Yankee/Sox fans in the AL East, without a salary cap.....there is really no point in cheering for the Blue Jays this year.
It's perfectly acceptable in my mind to have an AL and NL team to cheer for since interleague is such a small part of the schedule.

Old
12-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Hollywood Couturier

It's perfectly fine being a fan of a different team as long as you as the fan acknowledge that you transferred over to being a fan. Theirs nothing worse then bandwagoners that try to act like they're the biggest fan and that they know every single thing about the teams history. The people that admit that they're jumping on the bandwagon are perfectly fine because it's nice to have other people jump on board. I just wanted to get this off my chest about fans in general. This is by no means directed at you haha.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
12-20-2010, 12:40 PM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
It's perfectly fine being a fan of a different team as long as you as the fan acknowledge that you transferred over to being a fan. Theirs nothing worse then bandwagoners that try to act like they're the biggest fan and that they know every single thing about the teams history. The people that admit that they're jumping on the bandwagon are perfectly fine because it's nice to have other people jump on board. I just wanted to get this off my chest about fans in general. This is by no means directed at you haha.
During the '09 run, my friend had a girl in one of his classes who said "Cliff Lee's been my favorite Phillie since like, last year"

Old
12-20-2010, 12:54 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Blaine View Post
During the '09 run, my friend had a girl in one of his classes who said "Cliff Lee's been my favorite Phillie since like, last year"
That's why vaginas exist. So that retards like that don't starve to death.

Old
12-20-2010, 01:02 PM
Hollywood Couturier

In 2008 I went around asking people who the Flyers captain was. I got an astounding amount of wrong answers or simply I don't know.

Old
12-20-2010, 01:49 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
Who cares about relief pitching. Come playoff time one of Hamels or Oswalt will be available out of the pen for at least the division series.

Old
12-20-2010, 02:05 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannonGoBoom View Post
Who cares about relief pitching. Come playoff time one of Hamels or Oswalt will be available out of the pen for at least the division series.
Oswalt coming out in relief in that one game (Game 5 maybe?) was so boss. He really won me over that night.

That and he was pitching like a man possessed. Going inside on Uribe TWICE almost taking the guys head off.

What a special series. Too bad we lost it.

Old
12-20-2010, 02:36 PM
CorpseLW

I doubt anyone could dream of a better time in Philly sports than right now. I'm happy for all of you fans.

Old
12-20-2010, 03:16 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
What a special series. Too bad we lost it.
Oswalt gutted out a bullpen appearance (and lost)
Halladay gutted out an injury (and won)
Our offense looked aenemic.
We lost to a clearly inferior team.

Other than that one, what exactly was special?

Old
12-20-2010, 04:10 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Oswalt gutted out a bullpen appearance (and lost)
Halladay gutted out an injury (and won)
Our offense looked aenemic.
We lost to a clearly inferior team.

Other than that one, what exactly was special?
Sorry bro, I didn't realize the Phillies have to win for a fan to enjoy watching a series. Just because we got beat by an inferior team doesn't mean it wasn't a good series.

Halladay won with injury. Oswalt came out in relief, which is something he has done like 10 times in his entire career, and even better, it's something he ASKED CHARLIE to do. He just had this attitudes like, "**** you, if you want to win this game, I'm going to force your to beat me."

He lost, but I liked the swagger.

Our offense was weak, but outside of Ross so where they.

Old
12-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
I thought it was good, I wouldnt call it epic.

Old
12-20-2010, 04:43 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Sorry bro, I didn't realize the Phillies have to win for a fan to enjoy watching a series. Just because we got beat by an inferior team doesn't mean it wasn't a good series.

Halladay won with injury. Oswalt came out in relief, which is something he has done like 10 times in his entire career, and even better, it's something he ASKED CHARLIE to do. He just had this attitudes like, "**** you, if you want to win this game, I'm going to force your to beat me."

He lost, but I liked the swagger.

Our offense was weak, but outside of Ross so where they.
I agree, Oswalt was very gutsy, despite not pitching well overall in the series, and Halladay endeared himself to the city even more than he already was with his post-injury performance.

However, I would classify that series as utterly painful as I watched our team leave RISP in heaps (including bases loaded), pitched to Ross in the same spot 3 times for 3 HRs in 2 games and overall were outplayed by a severely inferior team who, apparently, wanted it more.

VERY little was enjoyable about that serious.

Old
12-20-2010, 09:36 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
I agree, Oswalt was very gutsy, despite not pitching well overall in the series, and Halladay endeared himself to the city even more than he already was with his post-injury performance.

However, I would classify that series as utterly painful as I watched our team leave RISP in heaps (including bases loaded), pitched to Ross in the same spot 3 times for 3 HRs in 2 games and overall were outplayed by a severely inferior team who, apparently, wanted it more.

That's the usual Phillies MO. Leave runners in scoring postion all day. Nothing is more frustrating!

Old
12-20-2010, 10:41 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by might2mash View Post
It's perfectly acceptable in my mind to have an AL and NL team to cheer for since interleague is such a small part of the schedule.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
JL and I are both big Orioles fans too. Obviously there is no bandwagon there.

Old
12-20-2010, 11:50 PM
healthyscratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseLW View Post
I doubt anyone could dream of a better time in Philly sports than right now. I'm happy for all of you fans.

Old
12-21-2010, 07:08 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

Conan made a Cliff Lee joke last week:

"Cliff Lee surprised everyone by turning down a $154 million offer from the Yankees to sign for a lesser contract with the Phillies......unfortunately that left the Yankees with no other choice but to buy the Phillies."

Old
12-21-2010, 10:41 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Letterman had a Cliff Lee joke almost everyday last week. He's a Yankee fan so he wasn't too excited.

Old
12-22-2010, 01:36 AM
dawkins121

Quote:

I really feel like the Giants had a perfect storm type of scenario going and nobody was going to beat them. When your 4-5-6 of Aubrey Huff, Pat Burrell, and Cody Ross is hitting like that and Juan Uribe is hitting opposite field home runs, you just have to admit that nothing is going to beat that team and move on.

The Phillies win that series 9 times out of 10, but the Giants pulled it out the one time that mattered. What teams scare me in the NL next season? Well the Cardinals with Carpenter-Wainwright-Pujols-Holliday are always dangerous. The Brewers with Greinke-Gallardo-Marcum-Wolf in front of a potent offense could be a force to be reckoned with. The Reds still have a good offense and a young and developing pitching staff. And of course, the Giants with their pitching will be near the top of the list. But with that island of misfit toys lineup, I just can't see lighting striking twice.

Old
12-22-2010, 06:53 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
But with that island of misfit toys lineup, I just can't see lighting striking twice.
Well done.

Old
12-22-2010, 08:39 AM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawkins121 View Post
I really feel like the Giants had a perfect storm type of scenario going and nobody was going to beat them.
If we hit at least one run in every time we had 2 runners on or bases loaded with 1 out we win that series.

The fact is our offense choked. Everyone was waiting for everyone else to wake up, and the series came onto the bat of our 25M/year slugger and he swung at a couple bad pitches then watched strike 3 right down the middle.

I don't find that enjoyable.

An enjoyable losing series would be a mix of pitchers duels with one or two games of shootouts (likely from the 4th starters or bullpens from each team). Not watching my team not give a **** with runners in scoring position game after game.

Old
12-22-2010, 10:27 AM
Jester

Quote:
If we hit at least one run in every time we had 2 runners on or bases loaded with 1 out we win that series.

The fact is our offense choked. Everyone was waiting for everyone else to wake up, and the series came onto the bat of our 25M/year slugger and he swung at a couple bad pitches then watched strike 3 right down the middle.

I don't find that enjoyable.

An enjoyable losing series would be a mix of pitchers duels with one or two games of shootouts (likely from the 4th starters or bullpens from each team). Not watching my team not give a **** with runners in scoring position game after game.
I think they gave a ****.

And the Giants were the one team that was really alarming due to their pitching, so you have to give some credit to them. There was an absurd amount of overconfidence going on in Philly headed into that series, and karma bit back pretty hard. Pitching beats hitting every time.

Old
12-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Kambo

Send a message via AIM to Kambo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I think they gave a ****.

And the Giants were the one team that was really alarming due to their pitching, so you have to give some credit to them. There was an absurd amount of overconfidence going on in Philly headed into that series, and karma bit back pretty hard. Pitching beats hitting every time.
Definitely have to agree with this. I still give my friends hell that wanted to play the Giants because of their ****** offense, and couldn't believe the Phillies lost to them when all was said and done. They kept questioning why I was rooting for the Braves, and all I kept telling them was be careful what you wish for. Karma came back in a big way.

Old
12-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kambo View Post
Definitely have to agree with this. I still give my friends hell that wanted to play the Giants because of their ****** offense, and couldn't believe the Phillies lost to them when all was said and done. They kept questioning why I was rooting for the Braves, and all I kept telling them was be careful what you wish for. Karma came back in a big way.
Phils would have demolished the Braves.

Old
12-22-2010, 11:59 AM
kicksave27

All they had to do was not pitch to Cody freaking Ross

Old
12-22-2010, 12:21 PM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
All they had to do was not pitch to Cody freaking Ross
Agreed, I would have just walked him each and every time.

Closed Thread