HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Part XVI: Phoenix -- Money for Nothing

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-20-2010, 12:33 PM
  #1001
pepty
Let's win it all
 
pepty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 12,917
vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagara67 View Post
So, I guess that means the NHL is a bad owner with a poorly run franchise? They've been running it for a while now and attendance is still low.
The fans haven't known if they will have a team, this soap opera has been going on for the better part of 2 years.

But once the NHL took over and brought in new management and coaches the on ice product improved.

Once the fans know they have a stable franchise with an owner who is in it for the long run,the fans will come back.

As the local economy strenghtens and there is more disposable income I could see the franchise doing well especuially as they have so many hockey loving tourists and retirees from the north in that area.

pepty is offline  
Old
12-20-2010, 12:56 PM
  #1002
JetFan4Ever
Registered User
 
JetFan4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 356
vCash: 907
I really think some have been placing far too much emphasis on the teamís owner (or lack of) being responsible for the poor attendance. You either want to spend your money on hockey or you donít. While I will agree that an owner can definitely have an impact on the quality of the team on the ice, in this situation the Coyotes made the playoffs last year and have a very strong team this year, yet attendance to this point has not been very good. For myself personally when I am deciding whether to take in an Ottawa Senators game the owner of the team does not really factor into my decision.

JetFan4Ever is offline  
Old
12-20-2010, 01:11 PM
  #1003
Coach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 428
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotesreign View Post
My expectations are probably much lower than others. The local economy here sucks, and I think it's going to continue to suck for at least another 5 years (IANAE). I do expect a new owner more aggressive marketing and a team that makes the playoffs every year (first round and out, what I'm used to when we do make the playoffs) can result in increased attendance, but I expect in the first 5 years with all best efforts it will be modest at best.

I know too many people who have had to cut back on a lot of entertainment and spectator events due to the economy to think we'll be swimming in sellouts in 3-5 years, but I think the principals involved have similar expectations (similar to mine) and are not looking at a magic turnaround in 3-5 years but are looking much further upstream.
So what is the definition of success. Is dropping the losses from 25 million to 15 million a year going to be viewed by the Coyotes fans as a successful transformation of the franchise.

Coach is offline  
Old
12-20-2010, 01:12 PM
  #1004
CorbeauNoir
Registered User
 
CorbeauNoir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 683
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepty View Post
The fans haven't known if they will have a team, this soap opera has been going on for the better part of 2 years.

But once the NHL took over and brought in new management and coaches the on ice product improved.

Once the fans know they have a stable franchise with an owner who is in it for the long run,the fans will come back.

As the local economy strenghtens and there is more disposable income I could see the franchise doing well especuially as they have so many hockey loving tourists and retirees from the north in that area.
Tickets are dirt-cheap, though. What do people in Phoenix possibly have to lose by going to see a team that's performing well? Even if the worst happens and the team leaves, you're only out what, 10-20 bucks a seat? If anything this is the time when people who want the team to stay SHOULD be going to games. If you're completely apathetic when the survival of the team itself is on the line, why would you suddenly start to care later?

CorbeauNoir is offline  
Old
12-20-2010, 01:36 PM
  #1005
goyotes
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
Tickets are dirt-cheap, though. What do people in Phoenix possibly have to lose by going to see a team that's performing well? Even if the worst happens and the team leaves, you're only out what, 10-20 bucks a seat? If anything this is the time when people who want the team to stay SHOULD be going to games. If you're completely apathetic when the survival of the team itself is on the line, why would you suddenly start to care later?
That is not really the case this year. Revenue is up 40% because there are no deep discounts on tickets. Upper bowl tickets for the Coyotes are priced higher than the NBA Sun's tickets. I am sure the average ticket price is less than many markets, but the cheapest single game seats are around $36. My lower bowl seats are about $110 each. As to the rest of your comment, I would only cite to Daly's recent statement that this is the first time in NHL history an ower (Moyes) actually tried to damage a market. As a STH, I was getting statements from Moyes' attorneys in the bankruptcy court last year warning me not to renew or I would stand as an unsecured creditor. There is zero marketing presence in the Valley. The only real marketing is getting players on local sports radio. And since the big dog in town for sports radio is KTAR, which hosts the Suns, Cardinals and D-Backs, as well as ASU sports, doesn't carry the Coyotes, as you may expect, there is not a lot of Coyote talk on that station.

I do agree, however, that if this owner actually runs this team successfully, then Phoenix is pretty much out of excuses. However, even the new owner doesn't think the fans will come back in earnest for at least a couple of years given all the damage that has been done to the organization. I would expect to see an uptick in actual attendance by the end of this year (assuming the team stays in the playoff hunt). But actual revenue will be significantly improved as the price per ticket will be more in line with typical NHL standards.

goyotes is offline  
Old
12-20-2010, 01:42 PM
  #1006
AllByDesign
Who's this ABD guy??
 
AllByDesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Location, Location!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
If anything this is the time when people who want the team to stay SHOULD be going to games. If you're completely apathetic when the survival of the team itself is on the line, why would you suddenly start to care later?
The people that truly care are going to the games. They are going to the council meetings. The problem is that the casual fan (no offense CF), may not be aware of the dire scenario, or may not even have the inclination to care. They may say.. hey, I like the Coyotes and go to 12 games a year, but if they're gone we'll just go to more D-Backs games.

Large market teams are very dependent on support from other businesses. It would give a big boost to the teams bottom line if the sales people were more proficient in their duties and tackle those accounts. I would love to be in their sales office, I would make a fortune.

AllByDesign is offline  
Old
12-20-2010, 01:46 PM
  #1007
goyotes
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllByDesign View Post
The people that truly care are going to the games. They are going to the council meetings. The problem is that the casual fan (no offense CF), may not be aware of the dire scenario, or may not even have the inclination to care. They may say.. hey, I like the Coyotes and go to 12 games a year, but if they're gone we'll just go to more D-Backs games.

Large market teams are very dependent on support from other businesses. It would give a big boost to the teams bottom line if the sales people were more proficient in their duties and tackle those accounts. I would love to be in their sales office, I would make a fortune.
I wish you were in their sales department. They need help!!!

goyotes is offline  
Old
12-20-2010, 01:48 PM
  #1008
AllByDesign
Who's this ABD guy??
 
AllByDesign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Location, Location!
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,317
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goyotes View Post
I wish you were in their sales department. They need help!!!
With the money they have flying around, I think they could finaly afford me.

AllByDesign is offline  
Old
12-20-2010, 02:14 PM
  #1009
mouser
Global Moderator
Business of Hockey
 
mouser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: South Mountain
Posts: 18,471
vCash: 500
Post limit, new thread here:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=855374

mouser is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.