HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Dominik Hasek trade

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2005, 12:29 PM
Malignant

vCash: 500
The Dominik Hasek trade

I've only been following hockey properly for just over a year (great timing I know). So bear this in mind for my lack of hockey knowledge. Before then I looked out for the Sabres results since late 2000 but it was only really a casual thing.

During that time I'd heard of Dominik Hasek and how great a goaltender he was for the Sabres. However, one thing I've never looked into properly was the trade which took him to the Detroit Red Wings. Below is a description of the trade from TSN.

Quote:
Buffalo Sabres traded Dominik Hasek to the Detroit Red Wings for Vyacheslav Kozlov, a 1st round selection (later traded to Columbus, later traded to Atlanta - Atlanta selected Jim Slater) in 2002 and future considerations.
Obviously I know that Vyacheslav Kozlov was traded exactly a year later to the Atlanta Thrashers. However, what did we receive from Columbus in exchange for the first round pick, and did Detroit ever fulfil their promise for those 'future considerations'?

Is there a website which has a story of this trade, or does anyone care to explain? To me it looks like a lop-sided trade, which has the makings of 'player power'. In other words did Hasek force the trade?

Now we have hindsight, what is your opinion to that trade?

Apologies for going over old ground, I just find this sort of stuff interesting.

Any input is much appreciated.

Old
06-11-2005, 01:17 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malignant
I've only been following hockey properly for just over a year (great timing I know). So bear this in mind for my lack of hockey knowledge. Before then I looked out for the Sabres results since late 2000 but it was only really a casual thing.

During that time I'd heard of Dominik Hasek and how great a goaltender he was for the Sabres. However, one thing I've never looked into properly was the trade which took him to the Detroit Red Wings. Below is a description of the trade from TSN.

Obviously I know that Vyacheslav Kozlov was traded exactly a year later to the Atlanta Thrashers. However, what did we receive from Columbus in exchange for the first round pick, and did Detroit ever fulfil their promise for those 'future considerations'?

Is there a website which has a story of this trade, or does anyone care to explain? To me it looks like a lop-sided trade, which has the makings of 'player power'. In other words did Hasek force the trade?

Now we have hindsight, what is your opinion to that trade?

Apologies for going over old ground, I just find this sort of stuff interesting.

Any input is much appreciated.

Columbus trade:

Detroit's first rounder (#30) and Mike Pandolfo for Columbus's first rounder (#20). Sabres took Dan Paille with that pick. They'd already decided they weren't going to sign Pandolfo so basically they moved up 10 spots for free.

The future considerations were never fulfilled. The biggest mistake from Regier's part, IMO, in this deal was the fact that there weren't considerations in case Hasek won a cup and retired, which was what happened. They would've gotten I believe a second if Hasek played more than one season with Detroit and a first if he played more than one and got a Cup.

Hasek was due I believe $9 mil that the Sabres probably couldn't have afforded plus he wanted out to go to a team that had a Cup chance. He supposedly requested that he didn't want Detroit's roster gutted of stars in the deal as well.

Additionally there was a rumor that St Louis was the front runner, I believe the deal would've been Brathwaite and Stillman though Demitra may or may not have been in the mix.

I'm not sure how much of the above is actually true, these are some neurons I haven't fired in a while.

Old
06-11-2005, 01:27 PM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
I thought the deal was Demitra+ for Hasek....

Old
06-11-2005, 03:11 PM
eSabre

Send a message via AIM to eSabre
6-22-02: Traded LW Vyacheslav Kozlov and the 41st pick in the 2002 Draft to Atlanta for the 31st and 82nd picks in the 2002 Draft.

6-22-02: Traded the 31st pick and the 36th pick (from NSH, previously acquired) to Edmonton in exchange for Jochen Hecht.

Old
06-11-2005, 11:10 PM
eyeisnikk

Well basically, the Hasek trade was a win for us... even tho it was horrible to see him go

1) he was going to be a free agent and was going to leave anyway. HE WANTED OUT.

2) or only bargining chip was that we would pick up his option at 9 mil. (too much) and FORCE him to play for us...

So we were going to lose him anyway so we in return we got kozlov. who we traded with other picks and finally got HECHT a Great RETURn

we also got paille, who might be somebody someday. (hope)

The bad part of the deal is
Hasek ***** us...

he said we couldnt trade him for anyone good. Hence no St Louis...
so we were stuck with Kozlov

2nd the future considerations we didnt get... that was bad as well

but considering we would have lost him to free agency we won... i guess

Old
06-12-2005, 12:41 AM
TVanek26*

Send a message via AIM to TVanek26*
We shoulda got Datsyuk or Zetterberg....

Old
06-12-2005, 08:50 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
I thought the deal was Demitra+ for Hasek....

The Red Wings nor the Sabres have ever had Pavol Demitra play for them...

Old
06-12-2005, 09:30 AM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
The Red Wings nor the Sabres have ever had Pavol Demitra play for them...

I believe DB is referring to the Hasek to St Louis rumors as the Blues were widely considered the frontrunner until Detroit swept in.

As I said above, I thought the trade would've been Brathwaite and Stillman, that's the rumor that I remember.

Old
06-12-2005, 12:41 PM
Rowley Birkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielBriere48
We shoulda got Datsyuk or Zetterberg....
hindsight is a great thing.

under the circumstances i thought we did OK. Kozlov was/is a better player than he showed here, and as eyeisnikk said, we eventually got Hecht out of it who was probably our best player last year.

Hasek didn't want to stay, lets face it, hes probably the best goalie ever, but a total ******* with it.

Old
06-13-2005, 12:13 PM
lecherous

Send a message via AIM to lecherous
We more or less indirectly got Paille + Hecht + a pick that later became John Adams + for Hasek + Pandolfo + a pick that later became Jarrett Stoll + a pick that later became Joakim Lindstrom.

I don't know, I'm pretty happy to have Paille and Hecht for the next 10-12 years rather than Hasek for 1-2 years.

Old
06-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecherous
We more or less indirectly got Paille + Hecht + a pick that later became John Adams + for Hasek + Pandolfo + a pick that later became Jarrett Stoll + a pick that later became Joakim Lindstrom.

I don't know, I'm pretty happy to have Paille and Hecht for the next 10-12 years rather than Hasek for 1-2 years.
Really when you get down to it it would have been Hasek for 0 years because I'm confident he wouldn't have played.

Still, we could have milked something else for arguable (and in my opinion) the greatest goaltender of all time. The conditional pick should have been easier to reach through multiple conditions. One I'd have, as earlier suggested in this thread, would be him winning the cup while in a Detroit jersey. This meaning only one condition need have been met to get SOMETHING.

Old
06-16-2005, 06:21 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

i remember when the deal went down soooo many detroit fans were very sad to see kozlov go
they gushed about him and his playing style and dedication

what a worthless player he turned out to be

Old
06-16-2005, 06:59 PM
norrisnick

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres
i remember when the deal went down soooo many detroit fans were very sad to see kozlov go

He's the all-time Red Wing record holder for playoff game winning goals. You tend to miss that kind of player.

Old
06-16-2005, 08:12 PM
Ruckus007
Said too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsandsabres

He was a very good player in Detroit, his time in Atlanta has showed he can play.

He was miserable and cancerous as a Sabre though. Too bad, I remember after his infamous benching where he called Ruff out he was put on a line with Connolly and Afinogenov. Those two played what is still the best hockey of their careers until Kozlov got hurt.

Old
06-16-2005, 11:49 PM
billsandsabres
nhl 94 aficianado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHomer007
He was a very good player in Detroit, his time in Atlanta has showed he can play.
my hockey brain only functions within the perspective of the buffalo sabres!

Closed Thread