HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Tom Renney takes blame

Old
12-19-2010, 01:59 PM
Blazephr

vCash: 500
Tom Renney takes blame

I thought this was interesting to read.....especially since Sather and/or Don Maloney are always the people everyone points the finger at for the Jessiman pick. Renney squarely takes the blame for the Jessiman pick.

"anybody want Senators defenceman Brian Lee, a healthy scratch for 25 games this season? Not the best first-round pick ever. Mind you, Tom Renney, as good a judge of hockey horseflesh as there is, was in charge of the Rangers' scouting when they took big forward Hugh Jessiman (No. 12 overall in 2003). "Yup. That was me," said the Oilers coach. Jessiman, now playing for the Chicago Blackhawks' AHL farm club in Rockford, has never played an NHL game."

there's also a nice little mention about Cally in the article as well.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...005/story.html

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 02:11 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
I thought this was interesting to read.....especially since Sather and/or Don Maloney are always the people everyone points the finger at for the Jessiman pick. Renney squarely takes the blame for the Jessiman pick.

"anybody want Senators defenceman Brian Lee, a healthy scratch for 25 games this season? Not the best first-round pick ever. Mind you, Tom Renney, as good a judge of hockey horseflesh as there is, was in charge of the Rangers' scouting when they took big forward Hugh Jessiman (No. 12 overall in 2003). "Yup. That was me," said the Oilers coach. Jessiman, now playing for the Chicago Blackhawks' AHL farm club in Rockford, has never played an NHL game."

there's also a nice little mention about Cally in the article as well.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...005/story.html
I kinda want to know who Clarke wanted (was he around?) but it doesn't really matter. Anyone would have been better. Aaaaaaaaand

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 04:09 PM
Pogo

Fire Renney!

Pogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 05:49 PM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

I went to a game in Rockford last month & jessiman & rissmiller were both playing. I found it kinda funny watching jessiman miss several chances to finish plays

NYGBleedBlueNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 05:51 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Nail in the coffin, Tom!

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 05:58 PM
Tiki Talk
Oh Baby

I want to puke every time I think about the 2003 draft.

Tiki Talk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 67
Just when I begin to maybe forget about 2003.....

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 07:08 PM
DutchShamrock

And Pearn was all about Redden. At some point the guys that are in charge of drafting need to draft, the coaches need to coach and the players need to play. I know that was part of Renney's job but for the 1st pick of your draft, it has to be the head scout/draft czar making the pick.

DutchShamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 07:21 PM
zestystrat

Oh sure, NOW you admit to it....thx Tom.

zestystrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 08:58 PM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

Fire Renney rally?

Oh wait........

SwedishBullet62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 09:02 PM
SomE

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersRising View Post
I want to puke every time I think about the 2003 draft.
Brian Boyle BABY!!!

SomE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 09:08 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchShamrock View Post
And Pearn was all about Redden. At some point the guys that are in charge of drafting need to draft, the coaches need to coach and the players need to play. I know that was part of Renney's job but for the 1st pick of your draft, it has to be the head scout/draft czar making the pick.
Renney was Director of Player Personnel, and was essentially head of the amateur scouts during that draft, not head coach. He should have been the final voice during that time period.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-19-2010, 10:55 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Steve Tambellini doesn't remember that the Kings drafted his son, not the Islanders?

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 10:20 AM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
I kinda want to know who Clarke wanted (was he around?) but it doesn't really matter. Anyone would have been better. Aaaaaaaaand

I fairly certain Clarke wasn't around back then.

I don't remember him joining the team until after 2004 during the lockout.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 10:21 AM
beastly115

Add this to the list of reasons I dislike Renney

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 10:22 AM
BwayBshirt

I guess I owe an apology to Maloney then.

To be fair though, Renney made amends in 2005 when he targeted Staal when the latter was inexplicably falling.

I remember the TSN guys covering the draft that year saying that Staal was Renney's guy.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 10:46 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

vCash: 50
A pick so full of fail, seven years later we still can't get over it lol.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 10:47 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

He didn't pick Jessiman. This is just his way of getting back at the Rangers for firing him. The way he said it in the quote sounds more like "ya it was me lul"

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 11:11 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwayBshirt View Post
I guess I owe an apology to Maloney then.

To be fair though, Renney made amends in 2005 when he targeted Staal when the latter was inexplicably falling.

I remember the TSN guys covering the draft that year saying that Staal was Renney's guy.
yeah, but staal was as high as #4 on many peoples lists...trading up to get him wasnt so much a move of brilliance on the rangers part, but one of stupidity on many of the gms that passed him up.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 07:01 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Where are you Renney apologists now? C'mon out. Heck we have a couple mods who still continue to praise him whenever he's brought up.

Always people would dump on Slats, "it's the team he assembles, it the players he drafts", well he works with his staff people. When Torts came in one thing should have been clear, Slats make personal moves based on what his coach wants....Was the Redden signing a bad one...you betcha and I no doubt put Renney's influence on that too.

Towards the end I fell out of favor with Tom Renney and I thought he should be moved out because there were better options. I continued to believe he's a nice and classy guy. Lately I've been watching the documentary Oil Change and it's been following Tom and the Oilers, but finding out about this kills it for me. This puts a whole other level of dislike on Renney for me. 2003 was such a good drafting class and this was such a bad draft for us.

I HATE YOU TOM RENNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 08:58 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Where are you Renney apologists now? C'mon out. Heck we have a couple mods who still continue to praise him whenever he's brought up.

Always people would dump on Slats, "it's the team he assembles, it the players he drafts", well he works with his staff people. When Torts came in one thing should have been clear, Slats make personal moves based on what his coach wants....Was the Redden signing a bad one...you betcha and I no doubt put Renney's influence on that too.

Towards the end I fell out of favor with Tom Renney and I thought he should be moved out because there were better options. I continued to believe he's a nice and classy guy. Lately I've been watching the documentary Oil Change and it's been following Tom and the Oilers, but finding out about this kills it for me. This puts a whole other level of dislike on Renney for me. 2003 was such a good drafting class and this was such a bad draft for us.

I HATE YOU TOM RENNEY!!!!!!!!!!!!
HMMMM, you destroy him for the drafting of Jessimen and signing of Redden, are you then also willing to give him the credit for -
Dubinsky
Callahan
Anisimov
Staal
Stepan
Del Zotto
Grachev
Cherepanov
Sauer

Taking a shot on Girardi

Signing Avery and Roszival

That's 10 of our current Roster players right there...and with the exception of Gaborik (UFA) and Lundqvist (drafted 2000) that list up there is the heart and soul of our current team.

EDIT- Renney doesn't need Apologists, his successes here and the turnaround of the franchise from complete laughing stock to playoff team speaks for itself. While I dont think he's gods gift to coaching, he was much better than what we had for 10 yrs prior, and for the first time in a decade we had a coach leave with the franchise in a better position than where he found it.

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 10:26 PM
nyrleetch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
HMMMM, you destroy him for the drafting of Jessimen and signing of Redden, are you then also willing to give him the credit for -
Dubinsky
Callahan
Anisimov
Staal
Stepan
Del Zotto
Grachev
Cherepanov
Sauer

Taking a shot on Girardi

That's 10 of our current Roster players right there...and with the exception of Gaborik (UFA) and Lundqvist (drafted 2000) that list up there is the heart and soul of our current team.

EDIT- Renney doesn't need Apologists, his successes here and the turnaround of the franchise from complete laughing stock to playoff team speaks for itself. While I dont think he's gods gift to coaching, he was much better than what we had for 10 yrs prior, and for the first time in a decade we had a coach leave with the franchise in a better position than where he found it.

nyrleetch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 10:56 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

Shea Weber was selected riiiight before us. if nashville wouldn't have snagged him we probably would have.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:26 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo View Post
Dubinsky
Callahan
Anisimov
Staal
Stepan
Del Zotto
Grachev
Cherepanov
Sauer

Taking a shot on Girardi

the vast majority of those picks were Gordies, not Toms.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 01:34 AM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
the vast majority of those picks were Gordies, not Toms.
Yea wtf was that dude talking about.

Tom was basically head scout in 2003. Almost all those picks came after he became head coach and essentially had little to do with draft picks, due to the fact he was no longer dedicating his time to scouting.

All those were pretty much Gordie and co.

I don't hate renney but lets not give him credit to building a team that he really had very little hand in.

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote