HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

All Habs-related Eklund rumours Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2010, 04:21 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

vCash: 500
Not that anything will happen but suppose the Habs would acquire Bieksa and Weber is here too. Then what would happen? LOL

Hamrlik - Subban / Bieksa / Weber
Spacek - Subban / Bieksa / Weber
Gill - Gorges

or

Hamrlik - Spacek (just keep making the guy play on his offside)
Gorges - Bieksa
Gill - Subban / Weber

Who goes back to Hamilton? Picard stays?

Old
12-20-2010, 04:23 PM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
wouldn't make sense. Unless Van has an injury I don't know about, the whole point of dumping Bieksa is salary cap.

AK and Bieksa have similar caps no? Then they would be right where they started unless they have a 2nd trade lined up.
Maybe that's what was gonna happen until Vancouver was able to maybe pry a forward of choice from the Habs?

Old
12-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidema View Post
wouldn't make sense. Unless Van has an injury I don't know about, the whole point of dumping Bieksa is salary cap.

AK and Bieksa have similar caps no? Then they would be right where they started unless they have a 2nd trade lined up.
Well, I could see it making sense if the Canucks are sensing diminishing returns from their investment in Bieksa (or expect him to cost more than $3.5 mil next year), and think they've found better long term value in someone else. Maybe they think they can either a) manage without him for the rest of the year, or b) fully intend on replacing him with someone different either this year or next. Or, maybe they simply don't plan on re-signing him at the end of the year, and see an opportunity to get something "for nothing" (both Salo's and Bieksa's contracts expire this year, freeing up $7 mil for the Canucks next year, and none of their potentially expensive impact forwards are up for contracts next year so...)

The injury you might be forgetting about is Salo, who has been out all year, but even if he was coming back soon, he wouldn't be seen as a better option than Bieksa for anything more than the rest of the year. Again, though, maybe that's all they want/need right now.

You're right though, they are right up against the cap (within 500K I believe), but there are certainly possible lateral moves (cap hit-wise) that could still leave them "better off" moving forward. Who knows, really? All I know is that I wouldn't write off the possibility based primarily on whether or not Vancouver sheds significant cap space in the process.

Old
12-20-2010, 04:42 PM
sheed36

Since it's Ek it's likely all crap anyway but please don't let it be Eller or MaxPac going the other way for a UFA to be Bieksa.. I'd rather hold on to Pouliot too for the time being..The guy is not scoring but he plays hard,adds size and is not a liability to this Habs team..

AK does seem like the likely candidate but that just creates another hole in the top 6 while plugging one on the D..

Old
12-20-2010, 04:50 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
TheFourthPeriod mentioned Gauthier pushing hard for a top 6 forward over a D, and I think TFP is much more reliable then Ek. I don't see us trading another piece of our top 6 for a D man when we are hurting upfront.

Old
12-20-2010, 09:12 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
TheFourthPeriod mentioned Gauthier pushing hard for a top 6 forward over a D, and I think TFP is much more reliable then Ek. I don't see us trading another piece of our top 6 for a D man when we are hurting upfront.
We are hurting a lot more on defense than up front, have you not watched the last 4-5 games???

Old
12-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Mister Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
None of these two sources are reliable. TFP states the obvious to make it like a rumor.

Old
12-20-2010, 10:01 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
We are hurting a lot more on defense than up front, have you not watched the last 4-5 games???
THE LAST 4-5 GAMES???? OMG THE SKY IS FALLING!!!11!

were still second in goals allowed. and that's without markov. chill. the. ****. out.

Old
12-20-2010, 10:17 PM
PunkinDrublic*

Trade AK hahahaha ! Our most talented offensive player !!!

Old
12-20-2010, 10:29 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheed36 View Post
Since it's Ek it's likely all crap anyway but please don't let it be Eller or MaxPac going the other way for a UFA to be Bieksa.. I'd rather hold on to Pouliot too for the time being..The guy is not scoring but he plays hard,adds size and is not a liability to this Habs team..

AK does seem like the likely candidate but that just creates another hole in the top 6 while plugging one on the D..
Eller Or Maxpac for Bieska ? lol not even the nucks would be expecting that

if somehow Gauthier feels like he needs bieska then it will be nothing more then a 2nd rounder going the other way

Old
12-20-2010, 10:41 PM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PunkinDrublic View Post
Trade AK hahahaha ! Our most talented offensive player !!!

I think you upset him. Bad PunkinDrublic. Bad.

Old
12-20-2010, 10:53 PM
habshound247

With Vancouver's depth up the middle, what would it take to get Cody Hodgson included in this deal? Bieksa + Hodgson for AK + Tinordi?? I know Vancouver really liked him at the draft.

Old
12-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
THE LAST 4-5 GAMES???? OMG THE SKY IS FALLING!!!11!

were still second in goals allowed. and that's without markov. chill. the. ****. out.
Only because Price has played great so far, plus we can't afford to have Hamrlik and Gorges out of steam in Feb and March.

Old
12-20-2010, 11:10 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habshound247 View Post
With Vancouver's depth up the middle, what would it take to get Cody Hodgson included in this deal? Bieksa + Hodgson for AK + Tinordi?? I know Vancouver really liked him at the draft.
The purpose of moving Bieksa is to fit under the cap so it won't be AK going back, they have the same cap hit.

Old
12-20-2010, 11:54 PM
habshound247

Fair point. I re-read Ek's column and it never said the forward was currently on the Habs. So it could be Kristo or Palushaj. Pretty big gamble for a UFA defenseman, but the team has been lacking something, maybe he can help.

Old
12-21-2010, 12:03 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

if we're giving up an nhl ready prospect like patches, we better get a hell of a lot more than bieksa.

Old
12-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Habs Junkie

I think Webber for Bieksa straight up might work well for both teams.

Old
12-21-2010, 01:00 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
The purpose of moving Bieksa is to fit under the cap so it won't be AK going back, they have the same cap hit.
At this point I feel compelled to ask: does anyone have a quote/link to anything from Canucks management stating they won't make any moves unless it frees up millions of dollars in cap space? They have to feel good about the team they have right now, and if they have already decided that neither Salo nor Bieksa will be back next year, they could already be planning what to do with that extra $7 mil. Maybe they'll be willing to use Baumgartner (Manitoba's captain), Paetsch, Sauve ('08 2nd rounder just called up to Manitoba from the ECHL) or Sweatt (possibly their new MAB) next year, all of whom would represent significant savings right there, too.

Too many options to just close the book on the possibility, but in truth a draft pick and/or expiring contract of a similar calibre player should be sufficient compensation for 4 or 5 months of Bieksa if they're really looking to unload him.

Old
12-21-2010, 02:21 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Canucks fan here, the only thing Gillis has said regarding the defence is "nobody is getting traded"

He's a bit of a mystery...

Old
12-21-2010, 06:07 AM
habsjunkie2*

I like PG so far. If he trades AK for Bieska he will immediately go from pretty good to horrible imo. We can't fill our top 6 now and want to trade one of our most talented wingers. Who write this crap? It ain't gonna happen. I'd give them Tommy Pyatt and call it a day.

Old
12-21-2010, 06:13 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
If the Habs were to acquire a RD, that would mean that either Gorges or Spacek would have to move to the left side. I'd imagine we would have seen one of them on the left side, for JM and PG to see how either would perform, so I don't see a deal for a RD imminent.
Both Gorges and Spacek natural position is LD..

Old
12-21-2010, 07:18 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab junkie View Post
I think Webber for Bieksa straight up might work well for both teams.
Not for the Habs, huge overpayment. Next year Bieksa walks and we lose Weber, it's not like there is a huge market out there, very few teams are willing to add salary.

Old
12-21-2010, 07:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
At this point I feel compelled to ask: does anyone have a quote/link to anything from Canucks management stating they won't make any moves unless it frees up millions of dollars in cap space? They have to feel good about the team they have right now, and if they have already decided that neither Salo nor Bieksa will be back next year, they could already be planning what to do with that extra $7 mil. Maybe they'll be willing to use Baumgartner (Manitoba's captain), Paetsch, Sauve ('08 2nd rounder just called up to Manitoba from the ECHL) or Sweatt (possibly their new MAB) next year, all of whom would represent significant savings right there, too.

Too many options to just close the book on the possibility, but in truth a draft pick and/or expiring contract of a similar calibre player should be sufficient compensation for 4 or 5 months of Bieksa if they're really looking to unload him.
They need to shed 3+ mil to get under the cap, that's the entire reason taht Bieksa is on the market, so if they take the equivalent of his salary back they are still in the same spot of having to shed 3+ mil and they have accomplished nothing.

Old
12-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
4-5 games don't make a season. When you have young Weber sitting in the stands, the way he's played, and seeing AK back in hybernation, with Moen, Pouliot and MaxPac rotating on the top lines, I'd definitely say that a Top 6 power forward is far ahead in the Habs' needs. Sorry.

Old
12-21-2010, 08:29 AM
sampollock

Burrows????

Closed Thread