HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K. Subban Benched Again!?

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2010, 10:12 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
the sky is falling!

Old
12-21-2010, 10:13 AM
Hugo Sham

vCash: 500
this is a solid article of habs D needs
http://habsloyalist.blogspot.com/201...and-wants.html

Old
12-21-2010, 10:14 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
OMFG %?*&($/"! Martin cant handle a rookie.Fire him ASAP.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
I have absolutely no problem with this decision.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:15 AM
elsubz

Why can't it be Picard or Spacek?

Old
12-21-2010, 10:17 AM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
because Picard is doing alright and Spacek is a veteran?

Old
12-21-2010, 10:18 AM
Lucius

Ummm, does anyone watch the games?

He makes big hits and is super popular, but the way he's played for the last month or so has been worthy of more than a benching.

If I were Montreal and had a chance to acquire a full fledged NHL defender, it would be Subban headed to the AHL to make room.

I still believe he'll be good, very good, but he needs to learn to be strong on the puck and clearly isn't getting that hint from the coaching staff, which is troubling.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:18 AM
TheBuriedHab

I dont like it. Hes a rookie who is going to have ups and downs all year. You can't bench him after every down he goes through.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:19 AM
FlyingPenguin

I guess it makes sense though, you guys are a strong team this year, you can't afford to be giving PK anything too easily, so if the coaches think he's struggling, I'm sure they're willing to scratch him.

I'm also sure he'll come back better for it.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Ummm, does anyone watch the games?

He makes big hits and is super popular, but the way he's played for the last month or so has been worthy of more than a benching.

If I were Montreal and had a chance to acquire a full fledged NHL defender, it would be Subban headed to the AHL to make room.

I still believe he'll be good, very good, but he needs to learn to be strong on the puck and clearly isn't getting that hint from the coaching staff, which is troubling.
That would pretty much kill his development.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:20 AM
Guy Germaine

well he hasn't been very good lately. He's becoming a turnover machine and that was the knock on him in junior as well and why he fell so low in the draft.
I'm not worried though, I believe his work ethic and strong character will help him to battle through this.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Chazz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
this is a solid article of habs D needs
http://habsloyalist.blogspot.com/201...and-wants.html
good article

Old
12-21-2010, 10:23 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

I agree with the decision

Old
12-21-2010, 10:23 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
1. Subban is a great talent but seems more interesting in the "wow" factor (i.e. big hit and such).

2. Spacek plays against the top lines every game and Subban doesn't. When Subban has been caught with the best players because of a line change or lack thereof those players (Richards, Datsyuk) have scored.

3. Picard plays on the left. Subban and Weber are righties. I just get the impression it's between Weber and Subban and the better player has been Weber lately.

4. If the Habs win without Subban in the lineup then I don't care if he sits the rest of the year as long as the Habs win.

That's what I speculate if indeed Subban is benched again.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:29 AM
TroyM

To me it seems obvious to scratch Picard (who has been as shaky but brings less potential help than Subban) and liberate Spacek to the left side and then we have more than 1 freakin' RD in the lineup in PK/Weber. Let them both play. Gorges has been playing as a RD so long he is fine there IMO.

I just think it's better for the team short and long term to bring Subban and Weber in on a more permanent assignment as we need offense from the defense and they have a lot better chance of bringing that than Picard. And I like Picard. I am impressed at what he's brought this year, but the last sequence of games he has made just as many defensive blunders as PK and as I said I think he brings less potential help to the team as well.

I really am okay with this decision though, PK has been playing really poorly for vast stretches of the last few games. But I still feel Picard should be the one out for now so we can see if PK and Weber can bring some much needed offensive punch.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Habs

At times, with our defense, it's like going to the movies and deciding which one will be the least ********* to watch.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Miller Time

great decision... because this approach worked so well last time around

At least now his play has been bad enough to actually warrant sitting in the press box, but looking at the whole season, his first benching still boggles the mind.

it's a dead horse topic, but this just re-opens the debate between the "old school" (martin) approach to coaching vs the "new school" (boucher) approach.

Obviously Subban excelled when working with the latter, and is struggling now that he's stuck with the former.

i like the way Martin has the team playing a "team" game, but I hate the way he manages his roster. Vets get too much leeway, young players not enough...

Old
12-21-2010, 10:47 AM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post

At least now his play has been bad enough to actually warrant sitting in the press box, but looking at the whole season, his first benching still boggles the mind.

it's a dead horse topic, but this just re-opens the debate between the "old school" (martin) approach to coaching vs the "new school" (boucher) approach.

Obviously Subban excelled when working with the latter, and is struggling now that he's stuck with the former.

i like the way Martin has the team playing a "team" game, but I hate the way he manages his roster. Vets get too much leeway, young players not enough...
from what i gather boucher also benched subban last year IIRC

Old
12-21-2010, 10:48 AM
shutehinside

I have no problem with this move at all. PK has been brutal lately.

For those who think it's due to his last benching, they should ask themselves why he got benched in the first place.

As good as he can be, he's been coughing up the puck and making bad play after bad play. Only due to his God given talent has been able to recover from some of those plays and contributed on offense. Foe him to be the best he can, he needs to play to his potential and play within a team system that brought us the the ECF last year. If he can do that, only then will his potential be realised.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:48 AM
zzoo

Good decision.

We won 3 games during his absence. When he's back, we have lost very often. Although he has impressed us with his rushes, he has made too many defensive mistakes.

I don't know why, but whenever the opponents scored a goal, I saw PK on the ice.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Kriss E

I had no problem with the first scratching, it was warranted.
This time around though, I'd find it really stupid.

PK was going to do mistakes, that much was obvious before the season even started.
PK will continue to look a little more lost and make costly turnovers as long as he's paired with Picard.
Picard isn't good enough to bail out PK. He focuses on not making mistakes himself, but even he makes some when playing that much.

I'm curious to know if there's another team in the NHL that brought in such a talented rookie Dman only to make him play with a career 6-7th Dman. He needs to play with a good veteran that will help and teach him things on the ice while encouraging him when on the bench.
PK's looked his best when paired with Markov or Hammer.

Martin needs to reshuffle his defensive pairs. I'm not saying this to accommodate PK, that much would be selfish, but because the entire D corps would benefit from it.

For now, I would like to see
Hammer-PK
Spacek-Gorges
Gill-Weber

This would permit Gill to be used less and so, be more effective. It would also make Weber ease in slowly, while getting extra time on the PP. This pairing wouldn't have to be used tirelessly. And after Weber settles in, placing Gorges back with Gill and Weber with Spacek would be an option.
This would give PK a solid veteran to play with, one that has been praised by youngsters before for helping them early in their careers.
Spacek would, for the first time here, play on his natural side and I'm sure that would make things much easier for him. Gorges is also constantly covering for Gill's lack of speed. With Spacek, he wouldn't have to worry about that.

Our whole D squad would look much better, I'm convinced.
But instead, Martin rather see a borderline useless Picard in the roster and keep our pairs intact. Ironic considering he shuffles his forwards almost every game.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:51 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

Awards:
Didn't agree with the first benching, but this time around, I believe it's warranted.

P.K. hasn't been playing terrible, but the mistakes he has made have been bad ones, that more often then not, have led to a goal. Now although you can also look to the goaltender to make the save here and there, Price is not going to be able to stop every single turnover chance. Looking at the camera replays, it's not hard to notice P.K. just skating back with no effort, waiting for Price to make the save.

Hopefully this will shake the kid up.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:52 AM
shutehinside

Quote:

He had been showing glimpses of bad play for awhile before the benching. The 2 give aways that cost us the game was the cherry on the sundae. If you can't see that then you've probably lost objectivity and can't see the forest from the trees.

This is NORMAL for a rookie. Just because the crowd chants his name doesn't make him the next Lidstrom by defaul. He has to lbe coached and earn the game first and who better than by a defese minded coach who will make him better in all 3 zones, not just the offensive zone.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:55 AM
Kriss E

Quote:

Boucher scratched him last year.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:55 AM
RE-HABS

I think Subban needs to be paired with a NHL veteran stay at home Dman that can be there to help cover up Subbans mistakes. Picard is not that Dman, and his play is not the best of late either.

Closed Thread