HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
12-18-2010, 09:11 AM
DarthSather99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
Where does everyone see that Victor Rask kid go? Definitely top-10?

I think it would hilarious if Bruins pick Rask with Leafs' 1st rounder. That would 2nd time that Leafs have 'gift-wrapped' a Rask to Bruins.
Victor is my favorite prospect. Some other prospects have had breakout seasons this year, slipping Rask to maybe early teens. I think overall he'll end up being one of the best from this draft. He's just not having that GREAT season that vaults an 18 year old into the top 5.

This tournament could change alot of the projections/draft position.

Old
12-19-2010, 10:03 PM
NYR Viper

I was at the game tonight in Troy, here is my general recap. I am free to answer questions, just let me know.

Zucker and Grimaldi were very impressive. Their defense was lackluster but could all skate very well. Nothing flashy like Carlson or Fowler last season.

I specifically watched Grimaldi(who is a year away I believe from the draft, he was wearing the only full-cage on the US team), Saad and Nieto tonight as neither Ranger prospect was playing.

Nieto started off strong and I can vouch for his speed. He is slick with the puck and seems to have good offensive awareness from what I saw but he isnt physically mature yet, at all. He was getting pushed around a little bit, not because of his height(which wasn't bad at all, looked pretty close to Etem in height) but more in strength(which is probably a good thing because strength will come). He was playing with D'Amigo, who was not impressive AT ALL. He played a terrible game IMO.

Saad was relatively invisible. He has some size, from what I saw and some strength but his footspeed is below average and I saw very little offense from him at all.

Grimaldi was very impressive. His speed and quickness were un-matched on the U.S. team except for maybe Zuvcker(who I was the most surprised by). His hands and skills are filthy and he was making RPI(who is a very good college team) look silly at times. He was playing with Bjugstad so that may have something to do with it but he was very impressive. I believe he is 2012 eligible? Someone will correct me if I am wrong I am sure.

Defensively, they looked porous. They controlled the play and out-shot RPI by almost a 2-1 margin(I think it was 34-18). Campbell looked pretty good, nothing spectacular. Iles is QUICK with a capital Q, but he is small. he got beat in the shootout a couple of times to his left post which I think a slightly taller goalie may have reached(longer legs = reach the post faster).

Nelson looked good when he was moving already but he needs to work on his acceleration and balance.

Overall, I can honestly say now that I have seen him play, that Bjugstad may be the steal of last years draft. He was CLEARLY the best player on the ice tonight. He controlled the play and created chance after chance with his size and strength(and he honestly looked very skinny still) and he was mean. He was hitting quite a bit and when he got a chance, he was finishing people all over the ice.

I have not had the pleasure of catching McIlrath play unfortunately, but Bjugstad looked like the real deal.

Old
12-20-2010, 05:45 AM
Entrancemperium

Any thoughts on Dmitrij Jaskin for the draft? I don't know much about him except the hattrick he scored against russia which is available on youtube. saw a mock draft that had us taking him. He's currently injured and won't be playing at the u20 championship. A potential steal?

Old
12-21-2010, 06:23 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

BTW do not get your tix from the WJC website. I saved over $100 buying all the games from stubhub as opposed to the website.

Old
12-21-2010, 11:31 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Fasth will be playing tonight in an exhibition game vs team Canada. Per GDT he is on the second line.

Old
12-21-2010, 11:35 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
hockeyviper87 -- Grimaldi is eligible this draft.

Old
12-21-2010, 11:51 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
hockeyviper87 -- Grimaldi is eligible this draft.
Ah, awesome! Where is he supposed to go? He had very impressive skills and he was noticeable all game. Looked to me his only problems were size(he looked about 5'6 and defensive zone coverage, due to his size).

Old
12-21-2010, 01:48 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Fasth will be playing tonight in an exhibition game vs team Canada. Per GDT he is on the second line.
Pumped.

Old
12-21-2010, 01:59 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Ah, awesome! Where is he supposed to go? He had very impressive skills and he was noticeable all game. Looked to me his only problems were size(he looked about 5'6 and defensive zone coverage, due to his size).
Who really knows, to be honest. I wouldn't mind taking him with a late first (I see us picking 20th or later), at all. Kid is ultra skilled. He can go anywhere from early-mid first to the third round. It all depends on how he handles himself for the rest of the year (IE keeps scoring and showing that he can play with bigger kids).

If he slows down at all? He can drop FAR down the draft (IE to the late third). He is such a toss-up (no pun intended, since I think you could literally toss him around) on where he goes in the draft.

With his skill? I think he continues his play. I think he ends up a late 1st round pick / early 2nd round pick.

Old
12-21-2010, 02:01 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Also, I think 5'6" is a bit of an over estimate. He's more like 5'4" or so.

Old
12-21-2010, 02:28 PM
CH2

Team USA's backup to Jack Campbell, Andy Iles was passed over in the draft last year. The kid is small at 5'9" but has excelled in every level he's played at. As I've said before, he'd be a great pick to take a chance on in the middle/late rounds. He's an NCAA player so he'll have an additional year to develop.

Old
12-21-2010, 03:08 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
yikes thats short..

Old
12-21-2010, 03:10 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Yeah, it was hard to tell. he was playing with Bjugstad.

Old
12-21-2010, 03:10 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
That's Bieber height right there.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
12-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
Team USA's backup to Jack Campbell, Andy Iles was passed over in the draft last year. The kid is small at 5'9" but has excelled in every level he's played at. As I've said before, he'd be a great pick to take a chance on in the middle/late rounds. He's an NCAA player so he'll have an additional year to develop.
He has trouble picking up the puck through traffic. Aside from that he is excellent.

If we dont sign Stajcer he might be worth a draft pick as our new goalie "prospect", although Johnson and Talbot are both o.k.

Old
12-21-2010, 05:41 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
yikes thats short..
He's the Dexter McCluster of the 2011 NHL draft. All world skills, millions of question marks about size and durability.

As I said, I would grab him with our first round pick if he's available. His skill set is just tantalizing.

Old
12-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I dont care if he put up 150 points in the WHL as a 4 year old. You do not use a 1st round pick on a kid who is barely 5'5". Ever.

2nd round pick is another matter entirely.

Old
12-21-2010, 06:28 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
I can't help but agree. That is a HUGE risk. A Jessiman like risk. At 5'4, he's about the size of your average 6th-7th grader. I'd easily take him in the 2nd round, though.

Old
12-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
17:17 Rocco Grimaldi fans on a great centering feed by Chris Kreider! Got a piece… but not quite enough!
1-1 after 1, US outshot 15-8

Petr Straka and Palmieri are the scorers.

http://usahockey2.com/usah_blogs/wor...rs_blog/?p=959

Old
12-21-2010, 06:47 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I dont care if he put up 150 points in the WHL as a 4 year old. You do not use a 1st round pick on a kid who is barely 5'5". Ever.

At his skill? You do. I would risk it.

Old
12-21-2010, 06:57 PM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
I believe Jesper Fasth is also in this tournament and plays for Team Sweden. Not sure what his potential is, but he's got a sick name.

Old
12-21-2010, 07:26 PM
NYRMatt

vCash: 1275
19:33 Chris Kreider on the back check was a thing of beauty. Three strides, and he was in position.

I love knowing how fast this kid is. From what I've heard everywhere regarding this kid it's always a positive when it comes to his speed.

Old
12-21-2010, 07:44 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:

So, if you have pick 30, you won't take this kid, but if somehow we get pick 31 you'd do it?

Old
12-21-2010, 07:47 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
So, if you have pick 30, you won't take this kid, but if somehow we get pick 31 you'd do it?
Yeah, I don't really agree with Fitzy there. If the team feels Rocco will pan out and be as good at the NHL level as some feel, than you take him regardless of the round.

He's gritty and strong enough to overcome his size weakness, for the most part.

Old
12-21-2010, 07:50 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
He's the Dexter McCluster of the 2011 NHL draft. All world skills, millions of question marks about size and durability.

As I said, I would grab him with our first round pick if he's available. His skill set is just tantalizing.
hes filthy fast and shifty as hell. hes got the goods no doubt. hes convinced alot of people who have watched alot of him that his skills are legit.

having said that, right now, hes too damn short and i worry about his durability.

if he grows even to 5'8- 5'9 he would be a player to take. hes a kid who will make you get up outa your chair. hes that talented.

Closed Thread