HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

All Habs-related Eklund rumours Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2010, 04:44 PM
JackZap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why not?

RH shot
pretty good mobility
can play 20+ min
brings some puck skills
brings some toughness
cost probably not high due to Vancouver's cap situation
rather get Whitney from EDM

Old
12-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Jafar
C'est la vie

vCash: 50
why cant we just trade the small 3. why cant war stop existing on earth.

Old
12-21-2010, 05:01 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Why not?

RH shot
pretty good mobility
can play 20+ min
brings some puck skills
brings some toughness
cost probably not high due to Vancouver's cap situation
The RH shot part is a question mark. JM has only sat RH shots this year: O'Byrne, Weber and/or Subban have been sat. Meanwhile Picard plays every game and Spacek not only plays every game, he plays on the wrong side. So does Gorges, for that matter.

I find it a weird use of talent, but there it is.

Old
12-21-2010, 05:02 PM
JHabs
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to JHabs
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
Same, I had asked Eric Engles and Steven Hindle on their live chat how much Whitney would cost the Habs from Edmonton, he said a mid round pick and mid-level prospect.

Old
12-21-2010, 05:09 PM
NHLfan

Bieksa

Which defenceman will he replace? Will Spacek be moved to the left-side? Subban needs to play. Bieksa will cost 3.5 million. If the cost is not high in terms of players, I am all for it. How much would Bouwmeester cost as a free agent? What do you think of Jack Johnson from LA Kings? If would be good to land a Peter Mueller type player. A young player with great potential who just needs a change of environment. Wayne SImmonds has great potential. Or if we can find a way to land Jordan Staal.

Old
12-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Same, I had asked Eric Engles and Steven Hindle on their live chat how much Whitney would cost the Habs from Edmonton, he said a mid round pick and mid-level prospect.
Haha, yeah, good luck with that one. Don't know if you have watched many Oilers games, but he is the ONLY guy they have back there who is solid from start to finish, game in game out. I was just out there for a month, and went to a bunch of the games. The fans love having him, and if there's one thing their organization has promised, it's giving the fans as much to be happy about as possible and hopefully keeping them entertained while they are growing and developing as a team. Think they're going to be in a hurry to get rid of their #1 guy who has been a huge part of that process? The phrase "prying from cold dead hands" comes to mind. Maybe in a couple of years if he slows down or starts having less impact, but you can absolutely forget about this year, and likely the next, and the Habs have to address the situation long before that.

I'm not calling Whitney a "franchise player", but after Hall, Eberle, MPS, and Omark, I can't think of any Oiler (including Hemsky) who would be less likely to be dealt than Whitney in the immediate future.

Old
12-21-2010, 05:36 PM
JackZap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Haha, yeah, good luck with that one. Don't know if you have watched many Oilers games, but he is the ONLY guy they have back there who is solid from start to finish, game in game out. I was just out there for a month, and went to a bunch of the games. The fans love having him, and if there's one thing their organization has promised, it's giving the fans as much to be happy about as possible and hopefully keeping them entertained while they are growing and developing as a team. Think they're going to be in a hurry to get rid of their #1 guy who has been a huge part of that process? The phrase "prying from cold dead hands" comes to mind. Maybe in a couple of years if he slows down or starts having less impact, but you can absolutely forget about this year, and likely the next, and the Habs have to address the situation long before that.

I'm not calling Whitney a "franchise player", but after Hall, Eberle, MPS, and Omark, I can't think of any Oiler (including Hemsky) who would be less likely to be dealt than Whitney in the immediate future.
I know but there were some talks about what the oils would do with Whitney and most of the "analysts" said he could be moved come deadline. If they are close to making the playoffs, they keep him. If they are in the gutter, chances are they could move him for draft picks/young players.

Old
12-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I know but there were some talks about what the oils would do with Whitney and most of the "analysts" said he could be moved come deadline. If they are close to making the playoffs, they keep him. If they are in the gutter, chances are they could move him for draft picks/young players.
This is just my opinion, but the chances are still 0 (or less - yes, less) unless you can find me even a hint as to that being a possibility or even the most minor rumbling of such a thing from inside the organization. He's 27, leading the team in points, is their #1 defenseman starting off this rebuild, and is only a $4 million cap hit for the next 3 years. Playoffs or not, he is not leaving the Oilers soon enough to bother considering as an option for something we have to address THIS off season. I really don't care what any analyst says, whether it's Scotty Bowman, Patrick Roy, or even Wayne Gretzky that entertains the notion for the purposes of discussion.

This is definitely not the droid you're looking for.

Old
12-21-2010, 05:51 PM
JackZap

Quote:
This is just my opinion, but the chances are still 0 (or less - yes, less) unless you can find me even a hint as to that being a possibility or even the most minor rumbling of such a thing from inside the organization. He's 27, leading the team in points, is their #1 defenseman starting off this rebuild, and is only a $4 million cap hit for the next 3 years. Playoffs or not, he is not leaving the Oilers soon enough to bother considering as an option for something we have to address THIS off season. I really don't care what any analyst says, whether it's Scotty Bowman, Patrick Roy, or even Wayne Gretzky that entertains the notion for the purposes of discussion.

This is definitely not the droid you're looking for.
im just reporting what ppl are saying, they might have some insight that we dont have? id keep him too, would be foolish to let him go but stranger things have happened.

Old
12-21-2010, 05:54 PM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Apples and Oranges due to the fact one team can lose the player, and the other team can retain or match offers.

But, I would say with players like AK you can almost call him a "UFA" as he could jump ship to the KHL for money he may not get offered from Montreal that he would get there.

I think Montreal would make that trade with that risk involved if a good prospect is coming in return as they may feel the flight potential in AK. And if he gets traded and re-signs it doesn't haunt them as much as he is in the West.
KHL ? Why ? didnt the Kost brothers already say they had no intentions on playing over there ? Skost didnt do it when he was in a much worst situation why would andrei when hes guaranteed 3mill arround here ?

and forget Andrei for Bieska + mid level prospect....i would much rather keep AK and hope he pans out

Old
12-21-2010, 05:56 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Ak is on his way out . I just feel it.

Old
12-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
im just reporting what ppl are saying, they might have some insight that we dont have? id keep him too, would be foolish to let him go but stranger things have happened.
A lot of people say a lot of stuff. One key to happiness is not getting your hopes up and investing emotional/intellectual/physical energy about the most unlikely of possibilities that someone, somewhere, who doesn't even know what they're talking about, suggest you pay attention to.

If anyone, Gilbert will be the first one out between the two. I have nothing tangible (i.e. links, references, analysis, etc) to provide in terms of "why" or "how", but I still feel almost confident enough to say "book it".

Old
12-21-2010, 06:13 PM
JackZap

Quote:
A lot of people say a lot of stuff. One key to happiness is not getting your hopes up and investing emotional/intellectual/physical energy about the most unlikely of possibilities that someone, somewhere, who doesn't even know what they're talking about, suggest you pay attention to.

If anyone, Gilbert will be the first one out between the two. I have nothing tangible (i.e. links, references, analysis, etc) to provide in terms of "why" or "how", but I still feel almost confident enough to say "book it".
by ppl i didnt mean my milkman

Old
12-21-2010, 06:23 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
by ppl i didnt mean my milkman
I know, I know. You meant "analysts", who (despite their obvious connections) didn't derive their opinion/idea from any communication they had with the organization. They just completely made up the possibility and how it COULD make sense IF it ever happened.

i.e. "Don't know what they're talking about." Something that doesn't exist (ex: talks related to moving Whitney, or the organizational situation and his future role in it) can't be known, so it's no use closely considering the chatter given everything that we actually DO know. That's what I'm saying. I mean, obviously that discussion wasn't even based in anything as "concrete" as rumour, so...

Old
12-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
Having double checked now, I see that the Canucks are listed with 0 cap space (duh), and $111873 of "LTIR Cap Space". Is that what you're saying, they're only getting "back" $111873 of cap space so far from LTIR issues? If that's how one should interpret that, it certainly changes things.
The Canucks get all of Salo's 3.5mil on LTIR (so they can surpass the cap by that amount) as long as he is out. But as soon as they bring Salo back, they need to be cap compliant immediately.

Fortunately, Salo isn't close to returning yet.

Old
12-21-2010, 06:51 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
The Canucks get all of Salo's 3.5mil on LTIR (so they can surpass the cap by that amount) as long as he is out. But as soon as they bring Salo back, they need to be cap compliant immediately.

Fortunately, Salo isn't close to returning yet.
I understand that Salo still gets his full salary (obviously), but to clarify, do the Canucks not get "credit" back for the time he missed? Which is to ask, does his entire $3.5M go back on the books when he comes back, or just the % of whatever is left of the season? Again, if he missed exactly half the year on LTIR, I would have expected only $1.75M to come back on the books with him. Looking at the numbers again, and considering where we are in the season, maybe that's exactly what IS happening, and where that $100K figure is coming from.

Old
12-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
it isnt that simple.

I dont recall last time a team made it to the SCF without having a Keith, Pronger, Lidstrom, Niedermayer, etc in their line-up

Sure, Pens made it with Gonchar, but we dont have any Malkin or Crosby so...
Since you're talking about #1 defenseman, how many of those are available as opposed to Top 6 wingers in your opinion?

Old
12-21-2010, 07:32 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
I understand that Salo still gets his full salary (obviously), but to clarify, do the Canucks not get "credit" back for the time he missed? Which is to ask, does his entire $3.5M go back on the books when he comes back, or just the % of whatever is left of the season? Again, if he missed exactly half the year on LTIR, I would have expected only $1.75M to come back on the books with him. Looking at the numbers again, and considering where we are in the season, maybe that's exactly what IS happening, and where that $100K figure is coming from.
No, it's not exactly like that.

The $100k is because without Salo, the Canucks have spent $59.3mil and the remaining cap space on LTIR is simply what the Canucks haven't filled. So they could replace a $500,000 player with a $600,000 player to use up that last bit of cap space.

When a player is on LTIR his salary isn't pro-rated. To simplify it a bit, I'll explain it like this.

There's two hundred and something days in the regular season. Every day of the season the player is active on the roster (or on short term IR) his cap hit is divided by 1/two hundred somethingth.

So say there were 100 days in the season, a player who was making $100 per year's cap hit would go down by a dollar for every day he was on the active roster. If he were on LTIR for 50 days out of the season, his cap hit would go down by two dollars every day.

Now to put this back into Salo, he gets his full salary, but the Canucks don't "bank" anything by having him on LTIR, they are simply allowed to exceed the salary cap by Salo's cap hit, however they have to be 100% cap compliant before Salo can be brought back into the lineup.

Old
12-21-2010, 07:35 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Since you're talking about #1 defenseman, how many of those are available as opposed to Top 6 wingers in your opinion?
hence why I start by saying it isnt that simple, cause while no D like the one I mentionned are available (not now at least), just try to imagine what we would have to give for TWO top 6 wingers, good ones that is -> cause average or below average ones we already have...

Old
12-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
hence why I start by saying it isnt that simple, cause while no D like the one I mentionned are available (not now at least), just try to imagine what we would have to give for TWO top 6 wingers, good ones that is -> cause average or below average ones we already have...
I'm in no way suggesting that we need to go get two of them by any means. We do need two but if we got one Top 6 power forward, it creates some internal competition for the last spot instead of having two vacant spots.

Old
12-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Raskolnikov76

Personally I would try to fetch Regehr. He eats a lot of minutes and he would add some sandpaper.
Looking at Sutter latest trades, I think Gauthier could pull it out.

Old
12-21-2010, 08:26 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov76 View Post
Personally I would try to fetch Regehr. He eats a lot of minutes and he would add some sandpaper.
Looking at Sutter latest trades, I think Gauthier could pull it out.
That's the player I keep thinking of too, doubt they move him as he is playing much better this season as compared to last, but would love him.

Old
12-21-2010, 08:38 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Regher has an NTC

Old
12-21-2010, 08:50 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Regher has an NTC
Those have been asked to be waived before, and the situation in Calgary isn't looking to bright this year or the next couple of years. He may welcome a change of scenery.

Old
12-21-2010, 08:54 PM
sampollock

yup time to **** cgy

Closed Thread