HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

James Van Riemsdyk and Jody Shelley just made my kid's day.

Old
12-21-2010, 02:23 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

vCash: 500
James Van Riemsdyk and Jody Shelley just made my kid's day.

I spent most of today at the Children's hospital with my child waiting for prescriptions to fill. Needless to say, he was bored out of his mind. We finally get our RX and we're ready to just leave, right? So on our way to the elevators guess who we end up seeing? JVR and Shelley (and Matt Carle, but we didn't catch him in time). I guess they were doing something charitable, but it was pretty sweet. My son, for the first time of the day, had a smile on his face. He chatted with both guys and got autographs from both of them.

I just felt like making a thread about how much of a class act these two dudes are.

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 02:36 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Glad to hear it. Two years ago I was stuck in childrens hospital with meningitis for 10 days over Christmas break. The Flyers team stopped by and went all over the play to visit the kids. I think I got the short end of the stick cuz I got Hatcher, Smith, Coburn, Knuble, and Kapanen, but that was by far the best day I had there.

I think its an annual thing the Flyers do this time of year when they have some sort of break. They have always been a charitable organization.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 02:42 PM
CharlieGirl

Very, very cool and thanks for sharing that. I love hearing about players who share their time with kids, especially kids in hospital.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 02:47 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Good to hear

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 02:48 PM
galvo

That's awesome

I would have told Shelley I was terminally ill and that it would be amazing if he scored a goal for me.

galvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 03:03 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
Glad to hear it. Two years ago I was stuck in childrens hospital with meningitis for 10 days over Christmas break. The Flyers team stopped by and went all over the play to visit the kids. I think I got the short end of the stick cuz I got Hatcher, Smith, Coburn, Knuble, and Kapanen, but that was by far the best day I had there.

I think its an annual thing the Flyers do this time of year when they have some sort of break. They have always been a charitable organization.
Hatcher, Kapanen and Knuble are awesome picks to meet players.

Smith is pretty good and Coburn is better than no one.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 03:04 PM
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW

Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
Hatcher, Kapanen and Knuble are awesome picks to meet players.

Smith is pretty good and Coburn is better than no one.
I was alright with Kapanen, Knuble, and Coburn. Was never big fans of Hatcher or Smith.

But they definitely made me feel better than I previously had been.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 03:05 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
That's awesome

I would have told Shelley I was terminally ill and that it would be amazing if he broke MFL's knee caps and then volunteered to be a healthy scratch every night until the next offseason at which point he blackmails Brian Burke to strap the Leafs with his cap hit for the next 2 years for me.
Fixed.

agrudez* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 03:28 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
That's awesome

I would have told Shelley I was terminally ill and that it would be amazing if he scored a goal for me.
He would spend the rest of his career lying awake at night in a pool of sweat, terrified that he was slowly killing you with every game.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 03:45 PM
phillyfanatic

Speaking of Stories. Hovercraft, you can appreciate this. My Dad is 60 years old and has been a fan of the Habs his entire life. He is from Newfoundland so the thought of meeting an actual NHL hockey player is a big deal. So, a few years back me and my brother and Dad met up in Montreal to watch a game versus the Flyers.

Fast forward to afterwards. Me and my brother are rockin our Flyer jersey at the bar. Who is there? The Habs. So, Koivu and Turner Stevenson are standing next to my brother at the bar with noboby around so my brother says "Hey guys, sorry to bother you. My Dad flew all the way up from Newfoundland - would you sign his hat?".

Koivu "*** off"
My brother......shocked
He comes back and tells us what happened, we are shocked. Like really, what a tool.

Mark Recchi was a Flyer at the time and must have seen this (he was out with the Habs for a beer as he played with them a year or two earlier). He comes over, signs the hat, jokes it up with the old man, just a genuine good guy.

It was tough for him to cheer for his team wtih Koivu on the team after that. But all three of us will ALWAYS have a soft spot for Recchi. He made our night.

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 04:02 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
I try to root for the Bruins to lose, but it doesn't work when Recchi is on the ice.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kips View Post
JVR and Shelley (and Matt Carle, but we didn't catch him in time).
Don't worry. He rarely catches opposing puck handlers in time either.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 04:14 PM
wahoowa
All in the Game

I met JVR a few times at UNH when I was working out up there over the summer. Real nice guy; he was always kind enough to share a conversation and was actually pleasantly surprised to meet some Flyers fans up in New Hampshire (this was when he stuck around after we drafted him). I'll always cheer for players that go the extra mile for fans.

wahoowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 04:34 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
Speaking of Stories. Hovercraft, you can appreciate this. My Dad is 60 years old and has been a fan of the Habs his entire life. He is from Newfoundland so the thought of meeting an actual NHL hockey player is a big deal. So, a few years back me and my brother and Dad met up in Montreal to watch a game versus the Flyers.

Fast forward to afterwards. Me and my brother are rockin our Flyer jersey at the bar. Who is there? The Habs. So, Koivu and Turner Stevenson are standing next to my brother at the bar with noboby around so my brother says "Hey guys, sorry to bother you. My Dad flew all the way up from Newfoundland - would you sign his hat?".

Koivu "*** off"
My brother......shocked
He comes back and tells us what happened, we are shocked. Like really, what a tool.

Mark Recchi was a Flyer at the time and must have seen this (he was out with the Habs for a beer as he played with them a year or two earlier). He comes over, signs the hat, jokes it up with the old man, just a genuine good guy.

It was tough for him to cheer for his team wtih Koivu on the team after that. But all three of us will ALWAYS have a soft spot for Recchi. He made our night.
Wow, I wouldn't have expected that out of Koivu, to be honest. What a dick. God love Recchi and what he did for your Dad.

Old
12-21-2010, 04:59 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

I love these kinds of stories (JVR & Shelley, not Koivu). You hear less and less about these kinds of things. I wonder if it's because today's athletes do less of this, or because today's society has more people who would linger/stalk at these places looking for the athletes. You know, the guy with no kids at the children's hospital with a binder full of hockey cards to be signed. I believe the latter to be the case.
And Pycckuu, five Flyers visited you -- five more than visit most others with a potentially fatal disease. Later in life, you'll appreciate that more (and that list was a great random fivesome).

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 06:57 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:

Koivu "*** off"
My brother......shocked

Yeah, I've always really liked Recchi, just struck me as a classy guy. Still a bit upset we let him go after 03-04 even if it was the right move.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 07:30 PM
Mike2000z28

Heres a great story about Mark Recchi in 2004. I just got married in Montreal(Im from Philly) and the wife and I are taking our honeymoon in the Poconos so im flying back to Philly. Anyway i check in and im sitting at the gate and theres noone around except another couple and we have a few hrs till the flight. So i look over and its Mark with his wife and i tell my wife who it is, etc. Im about to go over and his wife gets a phone call and start crying her eyes out, so i sit back down and wait for the action to settle. It settles down and i go over and introduce myself as a huge flyers fan, etc and he was really really nice and we talked about him signing with Pittsburgh, etc for an hour or so. My wife snapped a pic of me and him as well. When we landed in Philly, he took the time and say Congratulations again on getting married and treat her right! haha. Class act all the way.

Mike2000z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Jumping

Quote:

Koivu "*** off"
My brother......shocked

I thought maybe Koivu was going to start telling Newfie jokes.

You always remember meeting athletes. In 1979 I worked out at the same place that Tug McGraw worked out at. I asked him why he did not workout at the Vet with the team and he said it was because Bowa never would shut up.

Jumping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 10:03 PM
Amateur Hour

It's well known that hockey players are the coolest guys off the ice -- by far the best of the four major sports. Glad to hear that kind of story, it's how fans are made for life.

Amateur Hour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 10:55 PM
CharlieGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
I love these kinds of stories (JVR & Shelley, not Koivu). You hear less and less about these kinds of things. I wonder if it's because today's athletes do less of this, or because today's society has more people who would linger/stalk at these places looking for the athletes. You know, the guy with no kids at the children's hospital with a binder full of hockey cards to be signed. I believe the latter to be the case.
I agree. And while I can't stand a lot of what Crosby does, I will always remember one thing he did when he took the Stanley Cup to Halifax. My daughter teaches kids with special needs (physical and developmental) and one of her little guys was in the hospital. Sid took time out of that crazy day, and took the Cup to the Childrens' Hospital and visited with the kids for an hour or two. No one but the kids and their parents knew about the visit until a few hours after the visit was over. No press. No fans.

Old
12-21-2010, 11:09 PM
phillyfanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
I agree. And while I can't stand a lot of what Crosby does, I will always remember one thing he did when he took the Stanley Cup to Halifax. My daughter teaches kids with special needs (physical and developmental) and one of her little guys was in the hospital. Sid took time out of that crazy day, and took the Cup to the Childrens' Hospital and visited with the kids for an hour or two. No one but the kids and their parents knew about the visit until a few hours after the visit was over. No press. No fans.
CharlieGirl - you have a friend for life. My son has cerebral palsy. You want to meet a true hero? Watch what my son has to do differently than the other kids daily. Sidney Crosby is a Penguin and I HATE THE PENGUINS!!!! However, he is the best player in the world without any question in my mind. Period. The guy is also a class act off the ice. One of the good guys, just happens to wear black and yellow. I hate the hell out of him in a Penguin jersey.......love the hell out of him in a Canada Jersey. Agreed CharlieGirl?

phillyfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 12:25 AM
Claude28Giroux
g4**3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah, I've always really liked Recchi, just struck me as a classy guy. Still a bit upset we let him go after 03-04 even if it was the right move.
Rex is the man no doubt. I was all by myself admiring the Flyers in a pre game skate in buffalo when i was wee kid. When Recchi saw me he came over and flipped a puck over the glass to me. I 'd

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 05:15 PM
flyersjamminontheone
In Claude we trust

Ron hextall got my wife and i tickets by the tunnel where the flyers come out for the season opener after the lockout. They lost to the rags but they beat jersey the next game (Nitty's first). We had to pay for the tickets but he didn't have to get them for us.

flyersjamminontheone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 05:24 PM
HemskyToHall*

These are all pretty cool stories, except the Koivu situation, unfortunate situation.

HemskyToHall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 08:04 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Yeah, I have to say, I don't like Crosby too much for the diving/whining, but he does strike me as an absolute class act off the ice. Even Dupuis took some time out on the HBO show to say that Crosby was exceptional in everything he did, not just playing the game.

Definitely have to give him credit for doing something like that.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote