HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill IX

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2010, 01:45 AM
scramble91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerniernextRoy View Post
You talking about Brad Richards? I don't think he is leaving Dallas and he isn't coming cheap.

If it is Mike Richards, he has a long term contract with the Flyers. I don't see him leaving Philly but I agree with your point about looking at other elite teams and seeing their Centres are a powerful 1-2 punch, in some cases 1-2-3 deep with legit centres and they are cup contenders. I think Dean recognizes the need for a second line centre. He's talked about it a lot, and I don't see Schenn stepping into that second line role for a couple years and see him being more of a Jordan Staal type in the meantime.
Im talking about Brad Richards. He wont come cheap, but he would be cheaper than Spezza or Semin. (if he goes to UFA with the dallas ownership issues). Like i said, its a longshot, but a guy can dream cant he?

Old
12-21-2010, 04:47 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scramble91 View Post
Im talking about Brad Richards. He wont come cheap, but he would be cheaper than Spezza or Semin. (if he goes to UFA with the dallas ownership issues). Like i said, its a longshot, but a guy can dream cant he?
I don't know about cheaper, he currently makes 7.8 million...I don't see him making less than 7 million. As you said, it will be his last "good" contract.

As for Spezza, you would know his cap hit and would be a long term solution. Would make Kopitar and Spezza interchangeable as number 1-2 centres. He is 27 years old, and a little bit younger than Richards and has more size.

Lets not forget, Dean has kicked the tires about Malkin and Spezza before. Malkin is obviously less of an option now with that giant 8.5 million dollar contract.

But hey, if we go get Richards, no question that I'd be all for it.

Old
12-21-2010, 11:19 AM
kingpest19

Quote:
I think we will have to agree to disagree with this statement. Stolls D awareness is not on the same level as Zues. There is a reason why Zues is always on the ice for critical moments (5-3 PKs etc) Size also does mean alot when dealing with the big centers in the league now. His patience and cool demeanor is part of what keeps the kings in every game. I dont think its a reach that Zues has been a big part in Simmonds and Cliffords development.

Im not jumping in the argument that Stoll isnt a good 2nd line center, because i think he is. But, on a championship contender i feel that we do need a upgrade. Both Stoll and Zues are good at what they do, but neither have great playmaking skills, which is part of the issue. Is Stoll/Zues at the same level of a Kesler, Briere, Giroux, Staal, Malkin, Sharp, (or the glut of Detroit centermen)? These teams i beleive are the ones that are the real contenders this season, and all of them have great 2nd line centers (even going 3 deep).

This is why im a big advocate in trying for Richards because he can serve multiple purposes. He can/did play Wing before. He can teach Schenn and Kopitar at the same time. Dean loves his Bridge pieces, and Richards would be a perfect fit for a 3 year stint. (probably not realistic that he would go for a 3 year contract since it will be his last decent sized contract) But i can dream...
Malkin, Briere, Kesler, Staal would all be #1 guys on other teams around the league. Giroux is a RW and Sharp plays just as much on the wing as he does playing center. And Detroit? After Datsyuk Its guys like Fillpula, Helm, Modano and Draper. Zetterber might play an occasional shift but this year hes Datsyuk's winger.

Would having a guy capable of being a #1 be nice to have? Yes it would but very few teams in the league have that situation. And those that do are paying for it. Its not a cheap situation to be in at all.

Old
12-21-2010, 01:28 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpest19 View Post
Malkin, Briere, Kesler, Staal would all be #1 guys on other teams around the league. Giroux is a RW and Sharp plays just as much on the wing as he does playing center. And Detroit? After Datsyuk Its guys like Fillpula, Helm, Modano and Draper. Zetterber might play an occasional shift but this year hes Datsyuk's winger.

Would having a guy capable of being a #1 be nice to have? Yes it would but very few teams in the league have that situation. And those that do are paying for it. Its not a cheap situation to be in at all.
Nobody said this would be cheap way to go. But there is no coincidence that these teams are strong up the middle and amongst the best in the league. And yes each of those teams are paying for it, and are doing very well and will contend for the cup this year. The question to Dean would be...does he see us as legit cup contenders now? I dont think we are... possibly 2 years away still unless we beef up the 2nd line. If he does, i would bank that he would make a move this offseason for Richards or a player like that (who can play wing as well).

Also, when it comes to playoffs, its a different type of game. The game is played so much tighter with a higher level of intensity. It wasnt hard for Vancouver to shut down our 2nd line last year and ill go out on a limb and say that it will happen again this year (im assuming we make it). This is why the kings need a gritty, strong playmaker to open things up a little more.

If we were to do something like this, then yes, we would be at the cap for next season (even with re-signing JJ, DD and Simmonds), but the year after that Smyth will come off the books. Is it a risk? certainly..but sometimes you have to roll the dice. If we dont, we just have to wait for Schenn or Loki to step up, which im fine with, but peoples expectations will need to be lowered for a few more seasons.

I could be wrong and they could get on a hot streak during the playoffs and make me eat crow..

Old
12-21-2010, 01:49 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Nobody said this would be cheap way to go. But there is no coincidence that these teams are strong up the middle and amongst the best in the league. And yes each of those teams are paying for it, and are doing very well and will contend for the cup this year. The question to Dean would be...does he see us as legit cup contenders now? I dont think we are... possibly 2 years away still unless we beef up the 2nd line. If he does, i would bank that he would make a move this offseason for Richards or a player like that (who can play wing as well).

Also, when it comes to playoffs, its a different type of game. The game is played so much tighter with a higher level of intensity. It wasnt hard for Vancouver to shut down our 2nd line last year and ill go out on a limb and say that it will happen again this year (im assuming we make it). This is why the kings need a gritty, strong playmaker to open things up a little more.

If we were to do something like this, then yes, we would be at the cap for next season (even with re-signing JJ, DD and Simmonds), but the year after that Smyth will come off the books. Is it a risk? certainly..but sometimes you have to roll the dice. If we dont, we just have to wait for Schenn or Loki to step up, which im fine with, but peoples expectations will need to be lowered for a few more seasons.

I could be wrong and they could get on a hot streak during the playoffs and make me eat crow..
I know its not, they also have strong wingers to go along with those centers. A scoring LW for Kopitar is needed more than another center right now.

Old
12-21-2010, 02:31 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
I know its not, they also have strong wingers to go along with those centers. A scoring LW for Kopitar is needed more than another center right now.
Another centre would make the Kings more deep in terms of lines. That's why they are more valuable than wingers. We could roll out three awesome lines if we had Kopi, Spezza, Stoll.. It would go a long ways towards helping us out in the playoffs.

Old
12-21-2010, 02:34 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Agree to disagree. Kopitar is our Primary Goal Scorer in my eyes.

I do agree we have a hole in the top 6 and that we need playmaking, which is why I brought up Richards. He can play wing as well, which gives us a pretty legit 1st line with Richards, Kopi and Brown. But Kopitar, Williams and Brown play well together, so you can stick Richards with Smyth and Stoll on the 2nd line. Given the way TM consistently shuffles the lines during a game..having someone like Richards will greatly increase our depth in any game situation. (god forbid if stoll or kopitar got hurt...who could fill the void?)

Old
12-21-2010, 02:46 PM
Tadite

You know in all honesty the Kings aren't all that bad on offense. We're 15th in the NHL for GF and a rocking 3rd in the NHL for GA for a respectable 8th in Difference with a +15.

Statistically that's a darn good team. I wonder how many people realize we have the 3rd best defense in the league?

Old
12-21-2010, 03:06 PM
agentfouser
Playoffs?!?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
You know in all honesty the Kings aren't all that bad on offense. We're 15th in the NHL for GF and a rocking 3rd in the NHL for GA for a respectable 8th in Difference with a +15.

Statistically that's a darn good team. I wonder how many people realize we have the 3rd best defense in the league?
During stretches of poor play, no one on here recognizes that.

Old
12-21-2010, 03:15 PM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post

Stats don't tell the whole story obviously. We have a good defense, no doubt. But the offense is a little average and it has real thin depth in the top 6. That's going to show in the playoffs...again.

Old
12-21-2010, 03:21 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Stats don't tell the whole story obviously. We have a good defense, no doubt. But the offense is a little average and it has real thin depth in the top 6. That's going to show in the playoffs...again.
Yup...it's exactly why San Jose and Vancouver's one-line teams choke in the playoffs, and teams with a solid top 6 like Detroit and Chicago are successful.

Getzlaf, Ryan, and Perry are one of the best top line's in the league...it has not translated to success over the last season and a half.

Caps...they are starting to develop some secondary scoring but they typically choke too....whereas the Flyers and Pens have very strong 2nd lines when they are all healthy.

Old
12-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Knight of the Realm
Champs Again!

Don't think we will be looking to add centers with Schenn and Loktionov on verge of making the team next year.

Old
12-21-2010, 07:09 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
Another centre would make the Kings more deep in terms of lines. That's why they are more valuable than wingers. We could roll out three awesome lines if we had Kopi, Spezza, Stoll.. It would go a long ways towards helping us out in the playoffs.
Quote:
Agree to disagree. Kopitar is our Primary Goal Scorer in my eyes.

I do agree we have a hole in the top 6 and that we need playmaking, which is why I brought up Richards. He can play wing as well, which gives us a pretty legit 1st line with Richards, Kopi and Brown. But Kopitar, Williams and Brown play well together, so you can stick Richards with Smyth and Stoll on the 2nd line. Given the way TM consistently shuffles the lines during a game..having someone like Richards will greatly increase our depth in any game situation. (god forbid if stoll or kopitar got hurt...who could fill the void?)
You can add playmaking and have center depth but if you dont have the guys to put those chances away what does that depth and playmaking have that big of a difference?

Old
12-21-2010, 07:14 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
And the weakness is LW scoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeMeck View Post
Yup...it's exactly why San Jose and Vancouver's one-line teams choke in the playoffs, and teams with a solid top 6 like Detroit and Chicago are successful.

Getzlaf, Ryan, and Perry are one of the best top line's in the league...it has not translated to success over the last season and a half.

Caps...they are starting to develop some secondary scoring but they typically choke too....whereas the Flyers and Pens have very strong 2nd lines when they are all healthy.
Exactly. People tend to overlook that not only do teams like the Flyers have killer depth at C they have the wingers to go along with. The Pens are a total different animal because of who their #2 is.

Old
12-21-2010, 07:18 PM
scramble91

Quote:
You can add playmaking and have center depth but if you dont have the guys to put those chances away what does that depth and playmaking have that big of a difference?
actually the same zen riddle you posed can go the opposite way... If there are no playmakers, how will the puck get to the scoring areas? I would venture to say, ill take a playmaker who creates easier chances for the wingers every day of the week.

Outside of the 1st line the grinding down low, passing to the point and getting a shot off is our main offense..its one dimensional and can be shut down easier than having different options.

Nobody is implying that we are horrible...we are just looking to ways to become a legit cup contender.

Old
12-21-2010, 07:41 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
actually the same zen riddle you posed can go the opposite way... If there are no playmakers, how will the puck get to the scoring areas? I would venture to say, ill take a playmaker who creates easier chances for the wingers every day of the week.

Outside of the 1st line the grinding down low, passing to the point and getting a shot off is our main offense..its one dimensional and can be shut down easier than having different options.

Nobody is implying that we are horrible...we are just looking to ways to become a legit cup contender.
The puck seems to get to the scoring areas just fine as it right now. Not having a top line LW hurts more than not having a 1b center.

Old
12-21-2010, 07:43 PM
scramble91

Quote:
The puck seems to get to the scoring areas just fine as it right now. Not having a top line LW hurts more than not having a 1b center.
so says you.

Fact is Kopitar and Brown are on the same pace as last year...so how is that hurting? Now check how many points stoll and smyth have put up even str for the last 10 games and tell me we arent lacking something else?

Old
12-21-2010, 07:55 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
so says you.

Fact is Kopitar and Brown are on the same pace as last year...so how is that hurting? Now check how many points stoll and smyth have put up even str for the last 10 games and tell me we arent lacking something else?
So they are on the same pace as last year. Now imagine adding a top line LW to that line and allowing Williams to go back with Smyth and Stoll. You know that line that was clicking and scoring when the first line wasnt?

Old
12-21-2010, 08:11 PM
scramble91

Quote:
So they are on the same pace as last year. Now imagine adding a top line LW to that line and allowing Williams to go back with Smyth and Stoll. You know that line that was clicking and scoring when the first line wasnt?
could it have just been a hot streak? Kopitar was in the top of the leaderboard last year with Williams and Smyth, so why isnt murray playing them together? Or using your logic, wouldnt a playmaker on the 2nd line do the same thing (which williams does on the 2nd line)? Too many variables to say either way. That being said, no point arguing over who is right.

Like i said numerous times, we have the goal scorers, and we would have more opportunities if we had a great playmaker on the 2nd line. If Dean had the opportunity to obtain Semin during the summer, it would be a great move. But if we could get Richards for cheaper, i would go with him.

Old
12-21-2010, 08:17 PM
kingpest19

Quote:
could it have just been a hot streak? Kopitar was in the top of the leaderboard last year with Williams and Smyth, so why isnt murray playing them together? Or using your logic, wouldnt a playmaker on the 2nd line do the same thing (which williams does on the 2nd line)? Too many variables to say either way. That being said, no point arguing over who is right.

Like i said numerous times, we have the goal scorers, and we would have more opportunities if we had a great playmaker on the 2nd line. If Dean had the opportunity to obtain Semin during the summer, it would be a great move. But if we could get Richards for cheaper, i would go with him.
Hence the putting him back with Smyth and Stoll and getting a top line LW to play with Kopitar.

Old
12-21-2010, 08:21 PM
scramble91

Quote:
Hence the putting him back with Smyth and Stoll and getting a top line LW to play with Kopitar.
then who plays center if Kopitar or Stoll gets hurt (god forbid)? Having depth at C isnt a bad thing (especially if they can play wing too).

Old
12-22-2010, 01:20 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:

Some chirping going on about Richards potentially being traded this season. I didn't realize the Stars ownership is in limbo...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_yl...richards122110

Old
12-22-2010, 01:24 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

Their ownership is in limbo because Tom Hicks is a crook. I am biased on that matter though. They'll need someone to step in and save their franchise, not such an easy proposition. I doubt very much we'll get Richards, not the least without trading Schenn for him and that seems improbable. More likely than not Dallas will not be able to keep the player and he'll go East.

Old
12-22-2010, 01:26 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Their ownership is in limbo because Tom Hicks is a crook. They'll need someone to step in and save their franchise, not such an easy proposition. I doubt very much we'll get Richards, not the least without trading Schenn for him and that seems improbable. More likely than not Dallas will not be able to keep the player.
Plus I don't think Dallas wants to see their star player end up on a Divisional rival team.

Old
12-22-2010, 01:30 AM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

I'd be kinda surprised if he got traded at all. The quickest way for the lender to get the asset off their hands is for the Stars to have a good season. If the Stars make the playoffs, the more likely they'll find a buyer to pay the lenders and take the team. And they can't make the playoffs without Richards. Who knows what'll happen if he makes it to FA?

Closed Thread