HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Curious Case of Erik Christensen

Old
12-21-2010, 09:34 AM
DekeR

vCash: 500
Torts should make him the third line center and stick with that, make an announcement to that effect and the expectations will die down.
Maybe with the idea in his head that he is a third line center, he won't beat himself up so much and he can relax without the thought of production.

DekeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 09:48 AM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
As much as I hate him, he should be playing with Gaborik for now. Gaborik and Christensen somehow seem to play much better when it's together. Play Stepan with Avery and Fedotenko again like the beginning of the year because I loved that line.
Agreed.. EC has great chemistry with Gaborik. It shows. Gaborik is not doing much with Stepan as his center so Torts might as well make the switch.

There should be no drop off with production from Stepan as he will still get the first line power play minutes and he does seem to play well on a line with Feds and Avery.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 11:18 AM
Nemchinov13

If somebody offers me a 3rd or 4th round pick for EC, I'm so all over it. Same goes for Froly and White and that forward that plays defense - whats his name.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 11:20 AM
WheresBarnaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
curious indeed.

Dude scares the hell out of me and not in a boogaard way

More in like a son of sam type of way.
Yeah definetly a strange guy. What was up with last weeks not skating out as the number 2 star at home?

WheresBarnaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 11:25 AM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
curious indeed.

Dude scares the hell out of me and not in a boogaard way

More in like a son of sam type of way.
lol

"He resides in the basement of MSG, the asbestos his only friend."

So true, too.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:07 PM
pld459666

He's to timid a player/person.

He seems to be one that likes to speak his mind, but I get the feeling that if/when confronted he seems to be the type to back down.

Imagine if he actually grew a pair of balls and somehow managed to build some self confidence?

We are looking at a 60+ point talent that just doesn't belief in his own capabilities.

Combine EC and Prust into one body and you have one HELL of a hockey player.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:11 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I'd be intrigued to see an EC-Richards-Gaborik line.
Not for nothing, but I have a feeling that you would get the same inconsistent effort out of EC.

He's just that type of player.

Actually, for that line, I would gamble and put Prust and or Boyle up there.

Protection, defensively responsible, would create some nice space by driving to the net.

by extension would accumulate point by playing with those other 2 guys.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:40 PM
Blatant
Formerly NYRFan1823

I don't know why, but I like the guy. He really has some flashes of brilliance sometimes. I say let him and gabby stay on a line together, we have secondary scoring, let them from some chemistry.

Blatant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:52 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
EC is usefull on the PP and Shootouts. I figure he will be moved in an attempt to get a C for Gaborik but I could be wrong. Perhaps Prospal is that guy but that may be alot to ask given his injury woes
IMO Prospal's days at center should be effectively over when he comes back. The knee injury he's coming back from is pretty serious.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:57 PM
rangers4ever2007

when vinny and cally are healthy, 13th forward.

rangers4ever2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 01:35 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan1823 View Post
I don't know why, but I like the guy. He really has some flashes of brilliance sometimes. I say let him and gabby stay on a line together, we have secondary scoring, let them from some chemistry.
I'm like you -- for whatever reason, I like the guy. When he has a good game, I really smile. Almost every goal he scores is briliant, too, which might be a big part of the problem -- he only scores the pretty goals.

I think he wouldn't get as much sympathy if he weren't so good in interviews. He's very honest, very thoughtful, and that gives us fans an idea of what goes through his head. If he were a European with a bad grasp of the language, or if he were uncommunicative with the press, we'd just think he's a headcase. Sure, he put his foot in his mouth with the Avery situation, but it's just the flip side of the same coin.

It seems that he's not lazy, it seems that he's got all the tools. Perhaps he overthinks everything, I don't know. As much as I root for the guy, I find it doubtful he's ever going to be the 60-70 point player he looks like he could be.

007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 02:36 PM
BobSantos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
He reminds me of a poor man's Petr Nedved (which tells you something about how inconsistent he is). He's got a very similar skill set and way of playing the game (especially similar on the powerplay when playing the half boards, IMO).
I was going to say that, too.

Sometimes I do a Nedved double-take when he's unleashing that wrister. They're similar in stature, too. It's weird.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 07:10 PM
NY Ranger86

guys a keeper. PERIOD

NY Ranger86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 09:02 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
guys a keeper. PERIOD
Yeah... For the pressbox.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 09:16 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers4ever2007 View Post
when vinny and cally are healthy, 13th forward.
Odds are when they are healthy someone else won't be. That's how things USUALLY go, we've just been extremely lucky with injuries the past few years.

Old
12-21-2010, 10:46 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Hate him. Really do. Hate that Torts is in love with him and his "untapped offensive potential"

There's a reason this guy is 27 and has been with four different franchises already.

He should've never been given a two year contract.

silverfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 10:54 PM
GothamRanger

Send a message via AIM to GothamRanger
Avery-Christensen-Gaborik

GothamRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 10:59 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
He's a spare forward. He's 27, and is with his 4th franchise. He has been given repeated chances with one of the game's premiere snipers, and has been just okay. How anyone can call him a keeper is beyond me. I don't mind having him, but but when a better option inevitably presents itself in the near future, I'll have no qualms with waiving him or scratching him each night.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 11:10 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He's a spare forward. He's 27, and is with his 4th franchise. He has been given repeated chances with one of the game's premiere snipers, and has been just okay. How anyone can call him a keeper is beyond me. I don't mind having him, but but when a better option inevitably presents itself in the near future, I'll have no qualms with waiving him or scratching him each night.
Come February I think MZA takes his spot full time...if there's even room for MZA as we'll be healthy by then (not accounting for any possible injuries in between now and then *knocks on wood*)

Old
12-21-2010, 11:16 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Come February I think MZA takes his spot full time...if there's even room for MZA as we'll be healthy by then (not accounting for any possible injuries in between now and then *knocks on wood*)
Who's playing center then? Drury can be so much more affective on the wing and taking key face-offs...Dubi isn't moving back...Prospal's not going to have the legs to center a top 6 line anymore. That leaves you with Anisimov, Stepan, Boyle, White.

With or without Christensen in the lineup I don't see room for MZA for an extended period unless we suffer another injury. We're already pretty packed on the wing as it is...Frolov, Gaborik, Drury, Dubinsky, Avery, Prust, Fedotenko, Boogaard, (Prospal, Callahan).

More injuries or a Frolov trade without a winger coming back is the only way MZA is on the roster for the 2nd half, IMO

Old
12-21-2010, 11:24 PM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Who's playing center then? Drury can be so much more affective on the wing and taking key face-offs...Dubi isn't moving back...Prospal's not going to have the legs to center a top 6 line anymore. That leaves you with Anisimov, Stepan, Boyle, White.

With or without Christensen in the lineup I don't see room for MZA for an extended period unless we suffer another injury. We're already pretty packed on the wing as it is...Frolov, Gaborik, Drury, Dubinsky, Avery, Prust, Fedotenko, Boogaard, (Prospal, Callahan).

More injuries or a Frolov trade without a winger coming back is the only way MZA is on the roster for the 2nd half, IMO
Our weak faceoff #s put Drury (20 for 37) at center automatically I think.

I think Avery should be given a shot at center. He's 6 out of 10 on faceoffs + he's second on the team in assists. Although I truly do believe Drury through necessity remains at center.

Prospal - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubi - AA - Cally
Avery - Boyle - MZA
Fedetenko - Drury - Prust

depth baby

Old
12-21-2010, 11:29 PM
mrzeigler
Geno and Juss '13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
I don't think its inconsistency.

He don't create options for himself. He can't open up ice for himself.

A great player will always show the D that he have at least 2 options. He can go wide. He can go on the inside. And maybe he have a passing option or two on top of that. The foreplay before the "deke" is like 50% of the work. Make the D confused. Make the D aware of the fact that you can make a bunch of plays. That will make the D fall back. That will make the D give you room.

A player like EC always seems to almost get sucked into the D's web so to speak. Give him a little tiny bit of room and he will be deadly and rip one. But in the NHL you don't get that room for free. And he can't create it for himself.
This is a very good analysis of what I saw from him during his Penguins days.

mrzeigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 11:43 PM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Our weak faceoff #s put Drury (20 for 37) at center automatically I think.

I think Avery should be given a shot at center. He's 6 out of 10 on faceoffs + he's second on the team in assists. Although I truly do believe Drury through necessity remains at center.

Prospal - Stepan - Gaborik
Dubi - AA - Cally
Avery - Boyle - MZA
Fedetenko - Drury - Prust

depth baby
Just because Drury is taking the faceoffs, doesn't necessarily mean he's going to play center or has to be playing the position.

Moving Avery to center takes a lot away from him game. Playing center's not just about taking the face-offs...you've got a lot more responsibility in the defensive zone than you do at winger. Being center doesn't automatically make you assist man either.

IMO:
Dubi-AA-Drury
Frolov-Stepan-Prospal
Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust
Boogaard, White

is much stronger than what you just presented when prospal's back. When Cally is back:
Dubi-AA-Callahan
Prospal-Stepan-Drury
Fedotenko/Frolov-Boyle-Prust
Boogaard, Fedotenko/Frolov
Finally waive White.

Old
12-22-2010, 03:06 AM
Rangers44*

other than the shootouts, he just doesn't have the consistency to his game to be relied on.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 10:27 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

I'm sorry I've gotta pull out the E word...not Eklund.

Enigma

He's got the offensive tools...sometimes...he's finding the open man, skating the puck and releasing that twisted wrister into the back of the net. Other times he's just gone or even worse... The coach tells everyone to be careful with their sticks, Mr. EC then decides to skate around with his stick like he's at a jousting competition and pretends his opponents face is a shield.

IMO EC is a filler, he'll place his part and then move on. Hopefully he finds another club and succeeds somewhere else. Better yet, I hope he plays well enough here, so that the Rangers are able to deal him and get something in exchange for him when they eventually move him. For now, there are other parts that should be move out first like the 2.6 million dollar, 1goal, 1assist, healthy scratch for nearly half the season player we've got going for us.

Still, for a waiver wire pickup, he's turned out pretty good.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote