HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

WJC U20: Dec 26-Jan 5 - Focus on Washington Capitals' Prospects

Old
12-16-2010, 11:58 AM
txpd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
I love and I hate this tournament.
its a one sided thing that is tilted toward canada. its fun when anyone beats canada and the best when its USA.

my view is that its a shame for canadian fans because anything short of a dominating victory is embarrassing failure. how could that possibly be fun?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:06 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
its a one sided thing that is tilted toward canada. its fun when anyone beats canada and the best when its USA.

my view is that its a shame for canadian fans because anything short of a dominating victory is embarrassing failure. how could that possibly be fun?
So it's like being a Caps fan on these boards?

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-16-2010, 12:16 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
So it's like being a Caps fan on these boards?
ding ding

just say ryan kesler scored in ot last february instead of sid. canada would have been emotionally crushed. very much the miracle on ice in reverse. the world junior thing last year was a painful pill up there.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Langway
Floatvechkin

A pre-tournament interview with Kuznetsov mentions that he's been asked to play center. Maybe a Kitsyn - Kuznetsov - Tarasenko top line?

An assemblage of the team is currently playing the KHL's Spartak and up 5-2. Kuznetsov with a goal, Orlov with two assists.

Last edited by Langway: 12-17-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 10:46 AM
sk84fun_dc

Thanks, I knew the KHL had a break, didn't know about this scrimmage today.

USA camp opens today...

@USAH_AlexClark & his camp blog

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-17-2010, 03:46 PM
sk84fun_dc

posted in the WJC Russia thread...Galiev not among the NA based players mentioned (using google translate)...link

Old
12-19-2010, 08:07 AM
sk84fun_dc

According to russianprospects twitter: "Ivan Telegin NOT to play at the #WJC due to an injury, Stan Galiev called as substitute"

Old
12-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Wey to be paired with Forbort in today's exhibition match vs. RPI. Link includes radio coverage and PPV video details.

Scratched along with returnee defenseman John Ramage are Justin Faulk & Jon Merrill. I'd think those two are pretty much locks (as is Leddy) leaving three spots up for grabs among the other six. Dumoulin ought to make it, leaving just two spots. For Wey to make it he's probably going to need to be a very sturdy shutdown type along the lines of Ramage. He's in tough.

Old
12-19-2010, 04:15 PM
sk84fun_dc

Article about Galiev's late invitation; excerpt: "Galiev learned the news early Sunday morning as the Sea Dogs returned from a pair of wins over the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles. He is scheduled to fly to Jamestown, N.Y., Monday morning to join the Russian camp in hopes of competing in the main tournament.

The 18-year-old forward, a third-round pick of the Washington Capitals in the 2010 NHL draft, is set to suit up against Slovakia in Russia’s pre-tournament game on Dec. 23."

link

Old
12-19-2010, 11:20 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Highlights from the US/RPI exhibition match:

Wey was on the ice for the first two RPI goals but didn't appear to be at fault for either.

Old
12-20-2010, 11:15 AM
sk84fun_dc

Canada scrimmage tonight: information from Bob McKenzie...

"Team CAN vs. SUI tonight at 7 p.m. in Oshawa, carried live on TSN2. Gord and Pierre with the call..."

Johansen between Eakin and Connolly

other lines:
Schwartz-Schenn-Leblanc
Kassian-Couturier-Foligno
Howden-Cizikas-Ashton-Hamilton

Old
12-20-2010, 08:52 PM
bottleCAPS

Send a message via AIM to bottleCAPS Send a message via MSN to bottleCAPS Send a message via Yahoo to bottleCAPS
Canada won their pre-tournament game tonight 8-0 vs SUI. Eakin finished with 1 assist and looked good early before tailing off in the third as Canada really juggled their lines up at that point.

Expect Eakin to get solid PP time throughout the tournament as he really stood out on the man advantage tonight.

Canada takes on Sweden tomorrow night, the game will be broadcast on TSN.

bottleCAPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 10:28 PM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
ding ding

just say ryan kesler scored in ot last february instead of sid. canada would have been emotionally crushed. very much the miracle on ice in reverse. the world junior thing last year was a painful pill up there.
Yes it is painful to lose. Stings. It make winning so much sweeter and something you cannot ever take for granted.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-20-2010, 10:35 PM
Dream Big

Good luck to Cody Eakin. I hope he has an amazing world juniors. Good luck to the rest of the Capitals prospects that will be playing for their country.

Dream Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 12:00 PM
sk84fun_dc

U.S. vs Czech Republic pre-tourney game tonight at 7pm

This is the last game before the roster is announced tomorrow at 9:10 am (on USA Hockey's Facebook page.)

update to TV coverage in US: NHL Network U.S. will provide exclusive live coverage of all U.S. National Junior Team games...televise all medal-round games and five additional preliminary-round match-ups, airing a total of 15 games in high definition from the tournament. All U.S. games will be NHL Network original broadcasts. In addition, NHL Network will provide nightly recaps on its signature show "NHL On the Fly..."

Old
12-21-2010, 12:43 PM
sk84fun_dc

Twitter update indicates Wey will be scratched tonight... not a good sign for making the team given his uphill battle to start the camp as we have discussed.

Old
12-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Hockeysemin

Article about Kuznetsov from a swedish hockeysite...

Super promise compared with Malkin
"It's fun for me and my grandmother"
He is one of the players who are expected to lead the Russian gold hope in the JVM in Buffalo. Now comparing Yevgeny Kuznetsov also with Yevgeny Malkin of his coach, who calls Kuznetsov for the new Malkin. Something that gave a surprising answer from super promise.
- It's fun for me and my grandmother, "says Yevgeny Kuznetsov.

There are a lot of talent in the Russian Junior World Championship team, as usual. One of the major talents are Yevgeny Kuznetsov from Traktor Chelyabinsk.

18-year-old is compared now with Evgeni Malkin of his new coach Valery Belousov, who took over the Chelyabinsk two months ago and then said, "Kuznetsov is the new Malkin".

He if someone should have control of the situation. Malkin namely grew up in Magnitogorsk during the long period Belousov was coach of the club and had been with Malkin on some workouts last season 02/03 when he left the club in Omsk.

The following year made a 17-year-old Malkin's debut in the Russian league.

- It's fun for me and my grandma that I compare with him. She buys all the newspapers in which it is written about me and collect the clippings. Before this season was not much about me, "said the young Russian to Sport-Express.

His first full season in the KHL, he - like Malkin was the same age in Magnitogorsk - one of the team's best players. He has accounted for nine goals and six assists in 31 games and was drafted in the first round by Washington in the summer's draft.

But so far, he considers to be too easy for NHL games.

- I'm not physically ready yet. I 'm not going there to play in a fourth chain, it's like not my type of hockey.

He believes however that there will need to be a defection from Russia, like the dramatic escape Malkin had to do to submit for Magnitogorsk Pittsburgh in 2006, the day he decides to go over.

- I will not have to flee. There are nice people I'm dealing with. They've already said that "would you move, so come and talk to us ... you should not need to escape from us," says Kuznetsov.

Kuznetsov was a player in the JVM in Canada last year already. So he made no great success, and accounted for only two points. However, he was responsible for 25 points in 14 games in U18 World Cup in their two tournaments in 1991, the hands and 92: s.

This year's Junior World Championship tournament is probably just his second to last in order. He's old enough to play even in a year.

http://www.hockeysverige.se/news_sho...ml?id=11116614

Hockeysemin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 03:34 PM
sk84fun_dc

A German fan posted a link to this blog about Team Germany WJC team: link

google translate link

Old
12-21-2010, 03:43 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

http://www.usahockey.com/world_junio...tailedNews=yes
Quote:
Gary Thorne, Dave Starman, Fred Pletsch and Billy Jaffe will make up the broadcast team for the NHL Network’s coverage of Team USA games.

Old
12-21-2010, 04:54 PM
sk84fun_dc

Langway, I was ignoring that part of the news release I quoted from above No problem with most of that group, but I grew tired of Thorne years ago. I was a fan at one point, but no longer. I see I forgot to put the link in so thanks for linking to the release.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk84fun_dc View Post
Twitter update indicates Wey will be scratched tonight... not a good sign for making the team given his uphill battle to start the camp as we have discussed.
Or maybe not...

TSNBobMcKenzie Bob McKenzie

"I am told Oleksiak, Samuelsson,Wey are scratches on D. Would think that means Oleksiak is out of mix. Have to think Wey-Sam still in hunt."

Old
12-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Yeah, Thorne isn't great. He can get a little batty at times but it's still better than what they had last year IMO.

Hard to say with Oleksiak. That guy is huge, albeit on the younger side. Considering Canada's size up front he's an intriguing option. The five D he has as locks is pretty close to what I'd thought. He swaps Forbort for Dumoulin, leaving Clendening and the three BC defensemen battling for the final two spots (if we assume Oleksiak is out).

Old
12-21-2010, 05:23 PM
WingmanCD

I grew up listening to Thorne call games. Takes me back to the Caps finals run. Such a sense of nostalgia; his voice is like honey to my ears.

WingmanCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 08:15 AM
sk84fun_dc

Wooo, Patrick Wey named to Team USA.

Team USA:

2 Goalies: Campbell and Iles

7 Defensemen: Dumoulin, Faulk, Forbort, Leddy, Merrill, Ramage, Wey

13 Forwards: Bjugstad, Bourque, Brown, Callahan, Coyle, D'Amigo, Etem, Kreider, Morin, Nelson, Palmieri, Shore, Zucker

Old
12-22-2010, 08:16 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Nice, did not expect that.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 08:17 AM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Congrats. Unexpected. Beat out Samuelsson and the two draft-eligibles.

Too bad we won't see little Rocco Grimaldi or Brandon Saad.