HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Who are the Rangers core?

Old
12-22-2010, 11:15 AM
CM PUNK

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
If we're talking core of the core
i think thats a great way of looking at it...boyle, prust, sauer, etc might be key parts of the team but they really aren't the core core. they are the supporting core so to say

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:16 AM
Pizza

Good stuff RangeBoy as always. From your mouth to God's ears.

I like what I see from our kids every game, win or lose. The shift from Stepan last game being a good example.

The Rangers are finally starting to put it together in just about every area. The most important thing is a dedication to building from w/in.

STC.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:18 AM
CM PUNK

i'm a big fan of dallas continuing to win and not moving brad richards...i'd love to add him now and with the east looking pretty weak outside philly and pitt we could potential make some noise with him. but i'm really loving the young core we are developing and would hate to trade any of them away...get me brad as a ufa and keep the kids

CM PUNK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:28 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Your core and my core are not the same.

I can't envision a scenario where Stepan is not part of the core of this organization, let alone team.

The smarts with which he plays is byond belief for a player of his age,

Once his talent catches up with that high hockey IQ you are going to see a very special player.

But what I view as a core player, you may not and that's fine.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:33 AM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Your core and my core are not the same.

I can't envision a scenario where Stepan is not part of the core of this organization, let alone team.

The smarts with which he plays is byond belief for a player of his age,

Once his talent catches up with that high hockey IQ you are going to see a very special player.

But what I view as a core player, you may not and that's fine.
I see players like Stepan, Kreider, etc as future core players, but I don't think they are right now based on experience and talent level. Stepan will be a lot more important next year than he is now, and it will be Kreider's first year, so while he will have an impact, but it won't be big enough to be considered part of a core.

Then again this stuff is all opinion, and there is no true right or wrong answer.

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Interesting stuff regarding Drury - overpaid? Massively.

But just goes to show you how ignorant people are that call him completely useless. These are the same people who loved the useless/confrontational Torts of last season, and the people trying to portray Derek Boogaard as an important cog.

As for the Rangers core, I'd list them as:

Lundqvist, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Callahan, Staal.

second tier: Girardi, Anisimov, Stepan, Del Zotto
Don't try to lump in all those groups together. Some of those groups aren't even real groups. There was no "useless/confrontational Torts of last season", he's the same guy this year as he was last year. YOU just misread him last year. YOU misread him last year. Repeated for emphasis. I think you're falling prey to the fallacy of equivocation with the boogaard talk. Important in that he adds toughness, yeah some think that, important enough that we should retain him no matter what? I doubt many would agree to that.

"resident kibitzer Brandon Dubinsky" Interesting way to describe him, not sure I would have pegged him that way, but then again I'm not in the locker room.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:49 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Core doesn't mean untouchable. For years Dave Lewis and Billy Harris were part of the Islanders young developing core. The Islanders built a deep core and in one stroke, both went to LA for Butch Goring. The Islanders went on to become 4-time Stanley Cup champions. A big part of the idea is to build the core real deep so that there is constant competition for jobs and when the right time comes you can make a move to fill a glaring need. Right now the core isn't quite deep enough and the time isn't right. If enough things go right though it could be by next year.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:50 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

And is anyone besides me enjoying these conversations a lot more than the gut the team conversations and tanking arguments that took place over the past few years?

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:53 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
And is anyone besides me enjoying these conversations a lot more than the gut the team conversations and tanking arguments that took place over the past few years?
was just thinking the same thing

we're not doing much better than we've done in the past couple years (record wise) but i think people are starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel

barring Sather taking a massive dump in the bed, the future looks pretty good

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:59 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

my opinion is that there will be a few more potential "core" guys coming shortly.

kreider, grach, horak, werek, thomas, hagelin, mcdonough, valentenko, kundratek, pashnin and mcilrath.

the future sure looks bright.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 12:18 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbop View Post
Yes, it's a lot better discussing this -

Quote:
Staal and defense partner Dan Girardi, 26. Heart-and-soul, albeit injured, right wing Ryan Callahan, 25. Player representative and resident kibitzer Brandon Dubinsky, 24. Struggling second-year defenseman Michael Del Zotto, 20. Second-year center Artem Anisimov, 22. Rookie center Derek Stepan, 20.

Even two guys who came in trades are blossoming into more than the organization could have expected: Center Brian Boyle, 26 and gritty right wing Brandon Prust, 26, probably Callahanís equal as the gamest of all Rangers.
As opposed to this -

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
When you have a lousy farm system (look how many picks from 2000 - 2003 never played a game in the NHL, let alone for the Rangers), didn't have a first round pick in two of the previous three drafts, you take the guy who you can bank on scoring 20 ó and I don't even care if he steps in immediately.

After Lee Falardeau, Mike Walsh, Marcus Jonasen, Shawn Collymore, Nathan Martz, Petr Preucil, Pontus Petterson, Rob Flynn, Joey Crabb and Kim Hirschovits I'd do back flips for someone to score 20 goals. That would be 16 more than all those combined scored. And 20 more than they ever scored for the Rangers.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 12:35 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Interesting stuff regarding Drury - overpaid? Massively.

But just goes to show you how ignorant people are that call him completely useless. These are the same people who loved the useless/confrontational Torts of last season, and the people trying to portray Derek Boogaard as an important cog.
As for the Rangers core, I'd list them as:

Lundqvist, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Callahan, Staal.

second tier: Girardi, Anisimov, Stepan, Del Zotto
Why do people always ruin good points with over generalizations like this? You're right the people criticizing Drury as completely useless are but that doesn't mean they automatically love everything that's wrong and been wrong with the team. Maybe there are a few but darn can't you be wrong about one thing without being wrong about everything? There were definitely degrees of people who felt Boogaard was important. Some felt he'd automatically protect everyone on the ice. Some felt he was an important part of helping the team establish a tougher identity (Hard to argue against.) I get why you might wanna put tiers but I'm not sure I agree with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85 View Post
I think people want Anisimov to be the core, but he has to go out and prove it. I stand by my statements from last year that he's just not as good as people think. Can he be a decent player on this team? Yes, absolutely, but core? No

To me, the core is:

Callahan
Dubinsky
Staal
Girardi
MDZ (although he needs to really improve to stay a part of the core)
Sauer- We've needed a player like this for quite some time
Don't many of them still have to prove it? What have Stepan, MDZ, Boyle, Sauer done so much more than Artie? To me a core guy may not be a top 4 D or top 6 F but can be a stabilizing leader and 3rd line guy that specializes in some aspect of the game. Quite frankly if you don't include Artie I find it hard to include any1 except Dubs, Cally, Hank, Staal, Girardi. Which is also a solid core but really not representative of what the teams core has been talked about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
my opinion is that there will be a few more potential "core" guys coming shortly.

kreider, grach, horak, werek, thomas, hagelin, mcdonough, valentenko, kundratek, pashnin and mcilrath.

the future sure looks bright.
Agreed. Bourque, MZA I think have the same potential as a guy like Pashnin. But that's just potential. Hard to imagine in 5 years we don't have at l;east 4 of these guys on the team.

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 12-22-2010 at 12:43 PM.
JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 12:39 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericnyrusername View Post
Don't try to lump in all those groups together. Some of those groups aren't even real groups. There was no "useless/confrontational Torts of last season", he's the same guy this year as he was last year. YOU just misread him last year. YOU misread him last year. Repeated for emphasis. I think you're falling prey to the fallacy of equivocation with the boogaard talk. Important in that he adds toughness, yeah some think that, important enough that we should retain him no matter what? I doubt many would agree to that.

"resident kibitzer Brandon Dubinsky" Interesting way to describe him, not sure I would have pegged him that way, but then again I'm not in the locker room.
Are you seriously trying to suggest that there hasnt been a noticeable change in Tortorella's demeanor between this season and last?

I suggest you start paying attention.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

If I had to divide equal number of players per "tier":

Core
Lundqvist, Gaborik, Staal, Dubinsky, Callahan

Emerging
Girardi, Anisimov, Del Zotto, Stepan, Sauer

Role
Boyle, Prust, Drury, Avery, Biron

Expendable
Rozsival, Fedotenko, Prospal, Eminger, Christensen

GTFO
Boogaard, Frolov, White, Gilroy

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 01:27 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
core players?

Duby
Cally
Anisimov
Girardi
Lundy
Stepan
Staal

i hope Gabby sticks around for a while too

EDIT: it has been said Prust is part of the core too.

Killem Dafoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 01:37 PM
Rangers44*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
This is how I see it. Although, it is sort of hard to determine as each player has a different role, but they all play a very similar game under the Tort's style of play. Feel free to agree or disagree,

Core Players:
Ryan Callahan
Brandon Dubinsky
Dan Girardi
Henrik Lundqvist
Marc Staal

Complimentary Players:
Marty Biron
Michael Del Zotto
Marian Gaborik
Michal Rozsival
Mike Sauer
Artem Anisimov
Derek Stepan

Role Players:
Sean Avery
Derek Boogaard
Brian Boyle
Erik Christensen
Chris Drury
Ruslan Fedotenko
Brandon Prust

Leftovers:
Steve Eminger
Alexander Frolov
Matt Gilroy
Vinny Prospal
Todd White
Tim Kennedy
Wade Redden
Some of the complimentaries will soon turn into either core or leftovers. Role players can also be core players if they are so good they are almost impossible to replace. Callahan was role-player turned core. Prust and Boyle might be too.

Christensen is a leftover, not a role player.

Rangers44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 01:47 PM
msv957

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I see players like Stepan, Kreider, etc as future core players, but I don't think they are right now based on experience and talent level. Stepan will be a lot more important next year than he is now, and it will be Kreider's first year, so while he will have an impact, but it won't be big enough to be considered part of a core.

Then again this stuff is all opinion, and there is no true right or wrong answer.
Stepan is getting first line minutes with Gaborik and he is getting first line power play minutes now. He is definately an important part of this team now. He is in the perfect situation as he is getting tons of playing time surrounded by a lot of really good NHL players.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 02:19 PM
Ian
Mike York fan club

Sauer to me can't be seen as a core player right now because of his contract.

Granted, he's an RFA, but to me he's about fifth on the list of guys when it comes to who gets a contract first this offseason. If pennies need to be pinched to keep those other four, I'd be fine with him being dealt. Can't say that about the guys ahead of him.

Ian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 02:22 PM
DubiDubiDoo

Send a message via AIM to DubiDubiDoo
Core Players-
Redden, Rozsival, Drury, Prospal

Role Players-
Avery, Prust, Boyle, Fedetenko, Frolov, Lundqvist, White

Trade Fodder-
Staal, Girardi, Dubinsky, Callahan, Stepan, MDZ

less than 10 yrs ago that would be truth....

DubiDubiDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 02:50 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraparounds View Post
If I had to divide equal number of players per "tier":

Core
Lundqvist, Gaborik, Staal, Dubinsky, Callahan

Emerging
Girardi, Anisimov, Del Zotto, Stepan, Sauer

Role
Boyle, Prust, Drury, Avery, Biron

Expendable
Rozsival, Fedotenko, Prospal, Eminger, Christensen

GTFO
Boogaard, Frolov, White, Gilroy
love the gtfo section i lol'd

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 02:52 PM
JeffMangum
Ra shi da

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckface NYR View Post
love the gtfo section i lol'd
I made it first.

/sue.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 03:01 PM
eco's bones

Players who should be solid players in the NHL for the next several years. Henrik, Staal, Girardi, MDZ--maybe Sauer, Gaborik, Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Stepan, Prust and probably Boyle all fit into that categorization.

I love Avery but am not sure he's going to get another contract from us and I'm not sure that he's not wearing down. Drury is on the same road. Ditto for Fedotenko, Christensen, Rozsival and Biron. I don't see them being effective players in two or three years.

Some of these guys will have to make room anyway for the likes of Kreider, MZA, McDonagh, Valentenko, Kundratek, McIlrath etc.

The Rangers are in a pretty decent place. A lot of good young players having established themselves at the NHL level and another bunch coming along.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 03:40 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
From the big club, I'd think that the "core" players are as follows: Gaborik, Dubinsky, Callahan, Anisimov, Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto, Lundqvist. You can add in the emerging Derek Stepan, and the spark plug Brandon Prust as well. I still think Prust is in a bit over his head, but he's a heart and soul guy, and Torts and the organization love him.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Wraparounds
Powerful Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I made it first.

/sue.
You'll be hearing from my lawyers.

Wraparounds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Are you seriously trying to suggest that there hasnt been a noticeable change in Tortorella's demeanor between this season and last?

I suggest you start paying attention.
You misread him last year. We've looked better as a team so Torts has had more positive situations to respond to, but he's the same guy as last year. He's a proven successful vet coach, he's not about to change.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote