HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lombardi Insurance Situation

Old
12-22-2010, 02:23 AM
MattPreds37

vCash: 500
The Lombardi Insurance Situation

Does anyone know for a fact if Lombardi's contract has been insured. If it has, who would we like to see as the benefactor of this money and why? I called a local radio show this afternoon and a certain post game show host told me we could use another offensive center. I think when we have Goc, Lombardi, O' Reilly and Legwand all healthy (Smithson, Spaling also/ Wilson can play center if needed) we have no room for another center, unless we are going to trade Legwand, which I don't see happening immediately. I suggested another QB for the powerplay or some help out on the left wing. What do you guys (and girls) think?

MattPreds37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 03:15 AM
Everlong
-

Although we may not have a bonified number 1 center, I believe we have enough capable talent and depth at that position to get by. I think a scoring winger that can play in the top6, and a 2nd/3rd pairing 2way defenseman for depth should be this team's priority right now. Players like Bergfors(atl), Setoguchi(sj), or Frolov(nyr) are playing themselves out of their respective cities despite decent numbers. (bad work ethic?) Anyways, they're just examples of players that are cheap, and could heat up with a change of scenery. I'd like to know more about the insurance aspect of that contract if there is one.

Last edited by Everlong: 12-22-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Everlong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 04:01 AM
predfan24

The Lombardi situation sucks but O'Reilly, Goc, Leggy, Spaling/Smithson is likely what we are going to roll with. As long as they stay healthy I don't foresee any center additions. The above centers would give us

Offensive minded
Two way
Two way
Defensive minded

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 07:58 AM
Legionnaire11

With the way Cal and Goc have stepped up this season, I would rather spend any extra money on a legit 2nd pair d-man, so that if we make the playoffs we head in with

Suter - Weber
XXXX - Klein
Bouillon - O'Brien - Franson

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 08:45 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Even if Lombardi's contract is insured, I don't see the team taking on a lot of money until at the deadline for cap reasons. Pass the cap midpoint, become ineligible for a phase or two of revenue sharing. LTI does nothing for us because we're not against the cap limit.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 10:43 AM
Preds Partisan
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
Even if Lombardi's contract is insured, I don't see the team taking on a lot of money until at the deadline for cap reasons. Pass the cap midpoint, become ineligible for a phase or two of revenue sharing. LTI does nothing for us because we're not against the cap limit.
I'm inclined to be in total agreement with 101 on this point regarding any potential insurance relief with Lombardi. Until the Preds decide that they want to live on the other side of the midpoint and lose some rev sharing, any insurance money will simply remain unspent at this point. I'm not saying they won't access a little bit of it if they're going to move some salaries in a trade or something, but if anybody is thinking that there is going to be a dollar for dollar player acquisition, I really don't see that happening.

There are obviously some holes in this team that could be addressed with that money, but the financial restrictions are no doubt trumping those types of moves.

Preds Partisan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 10:56 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

As of right now you have to think of the situation the Preds are in right now. Center depth: O'Reilly, Goc, Legwand, Smithson, Spaling. In Milwaukee: Lundmark

Could the Preds use more Center depth? I think they could use one more but let us remember HOW the Preds use the Center position. Right now there really is only a true offensive minded center on the Preds with O'Reilly. Goc is a 2-way, Legwand is like a 3rd defenseman. Smithson is a classic 4th line center. If anything, Lombardi's injury filled the Preds need for balance. For the first time in a while, the lines, though not set in concrete, are pretty much set.

If anything, I would say if there was some spare cash laying around, upgrade a winger if you dare play with the chemistry to fill Sullivan's roster spot on the team next year.

When I was asking around on how to build a forward line, the main thing I heard was find two forwards who work well together and then find a forward to compliment them. I honestly think the Preds have found that. The Sully-O'Reilly line looks good. The Erat-Goc-SK line is pretty damn solid. The grind line of Smithson-Spaling is solid and then there are the spare parts.

I know it's the nature of sports fans to try and tweek and improve the lines like they are playing NHL '11 but in real life if you got something good, don't **** it up.

Last edited by BigFatCat999: 12-22-2010 at 11:38 AM.
BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:42 AM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Assuming we get Leggy back healthy, if we're gonna' spend some of the insurance money I think I'd rather see us get someone to pair with Klein - in fact, if we're committed to Co*y next year, shipping Cube off for an upgrade with an expiring contract and relieving us of Cube's 2nd year would be a fine idea.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 01:12 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
Assuming we get Leggy back healthy, if we're gonna' spend some of the insurance money I think I'd rather see us get someone to pair with Klein - in fact, if we're committed to Co*y next year, shipping Cube off for an upgrade with an expiring contract and relieving us of Cube's 2nd year would be a fine idea.

Really? Have you really been watching Franson play this year? He is a steal at 800K and been our best D behind Weber,Suter,Klein. I guess Franson is destined to get the Zidlicky treatment.:

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 01:13 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
I thought that's what Shane O'Brien was?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 01:25 PM
jlsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
I thought that's what Shane O'Brien was?
His job is to cover for Franson in the d zone ...

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 03:56 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 400
I dont know for sure but I suspect the preds wont get the insurance money until this summer at the earliest and only then if Lombardi is out the whole season. at this point it would be foolish to go acquire more salary because if lombardi does return then theinsurance money wont be paid and we will be paying two salaries...

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 04:11 PM
deanwormer

vCash: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by predfan24 View Post
Really? Have you really been watching Franson play this year? He is a steal at 800K and been our best D behind Weber,Suter,Klein. I guess Franson is destined to get the Zidlicky treatment.:
I think you could probably argue Sta-puft #4 has been our best offensive dman, and I agree, a good value at $800k. He's fine on a 3rd pair if you've got a defensively responsible partner who doesn't panic under an aggressive forecheck playing with him. He's nice on the PP. He also makes GDevries look swift afoot.

But, back on thread topic: My overall point was I don't think Cube is a good 2nd pair guy and if we're gonna' spend some insurance dough I'd really like to see his spot partnered with Klein be upgraded. My comment about being committed to Co*y vs. Cube next year is because I believe they are both signed for next year and I don't want them both back; they are 3rd pairing guys - neither should be playing with Klein and therefore one of them needs to be gone to make way on the 3rd pair for Blum.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 08:58 PM
MattPreds37

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
I dont know for sure but I suspect the preds wont get the insurance money until this summer at the earliest and only then if Lombardi is out the whole season. at this point it would be foolish to go acquire more salary because if lombardi does return then theinsurance money wont be paid and we will be paying two salaries...
Not true at all, you can make a claim once the player hits 30 games, but you have to wait until the injury is over so the amount can be prorated, thusly, we would have lombardi back and would use the money to pay another player. herein lies why I would ask this question in the first place.

MattPreds37 is offline   Reply With Quote