HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Habs-related Eklund rumours Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-21-2010, 10:06 PM
  #976
Rutabaga
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Country: France
Posts: 979
vCash: 500
Regehr is a great player, one of the best defensive defensemen in the league, no doubt about that, but i dont think thats our biggest need right now.

Our forwards are left alone in the offensive zone, we have almost no support from the D, we are seriously suffering from a lack of mobility and our defense is too old.

They are solid defensively when correctly used, with the appropriate amount of icetime, we all know that. Even if recently, we are not enjoying a lot of good results, we still have a good record when it comes to goals allowed and defensive performances.

The problem is that they're absolutely unable to help offensively, and this is even more obvious now that Subban is looking for confidence and struggling with his game.

We need an offensive and mobile player, able to log +22-23 mins each night...Kaberle, Pitkanen, i dont care who, but we have to clearly identify the need we have.

And when Martin is gonna put Weber instead of Picard in the lineup ?
I wanna see Spacek playing on the left side...for once, please ?

Rutabaga is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 01:07 AM
  #977
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
No, it's not exactly like that.

The $100k is because without Salo, the Canucks have spent $59.3mil and the remaining cap space on LTIR is simply what the Canucks haven't filled. So they could replace a $500,000 player with a $600,000 player to use up that last bit of cap space.

When a player is on LTIR his salary isn't pro-rated.
I'm aware of that. That's why I talked in terms of cap hit, which I assumed WAS "pro-rated" when dealing with LTIR (and I always understood that it would be in terms of # of days in the season, not days in a year, or whatever). In fact, you continue with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
To simplify it a bit, I'll explain it like this.

There's two hundred and something days in the regular season. Every day of the season the player is active on the roster (or on short term IR) his cap hit is divided by 1/two hundred somethingth.

So say there were 100 days in the season, a player who was making $100 per year's cap hit would go down by a dollar for every day he was on the active roster. If he were on LTIR for 50 days out of the season, his cap hit would go down by two dollars every day.

Now to put this back into Salo, he gets his full salary, but the Canucks don't "bank" anything by having him on LTIR, they are simply allowed to exceed the salary cap by Salo's cap hit, however they have to be 100% cap compliant before Salo can be brought back into the lineup.
Yeah, so I think it turns out that I knew what I was talking about and simply didn't know what the numbers on nhlnumbers and capgeek were telling me. capgeek has handy little ? hover help balloons which I have finally found, and I think I'm back on the same page with reality.

I did, however, forget about having to be cap compliant again before the player can be brought back in from LTIR. It escaped my consideration for a moment that every call-up to replace a non-LTIR issue whittles away at remaining cap space, and, in fact, can push you over in some cases (as can trades, but I was considering that, obviously). Is this what has happened with the Canucks? I mean, they started the year cap compliant, right?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 02:02 AM
  #978
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,024
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Regehr is a great player, one of the best defensive defensemen in the league, no doubt about that, but i dont think thats our biggest need right now.

Our forwards are left alone in the offensive zone, we have almost no support from the D, we are seriously suffering from a lack of mobility and our defense is too old.

They are solid defensively when correctly used, with the appropriate amount of icetime, we all know that. Even if recently, we are not enjoying a lot of good results, we still have a good record when it comes to goals allowed and defensive performances.

The problem is that they're absolutely unable to help offensively, and this is even more obvious now that Subban is looking for confidence and struggling with his game.

We need an offensive and mobile player, able to log +22-23 mins each night...Kaberle, Pitkanen, i dont care who, but we have to clearly identify the need we have.

And when Martin is gonna put Weber instead of Picard in the lineup ?
I wanna see Spacek playing on the left side...for once, please ?
And his name is Alex Goligoski. See trade thread for more info.

Markowicz is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 03:04 AM
  #979
NewHabsEra*
 
NewHabsEra*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 10,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Regehr is a great player, one of the best defensive defensemen in the league, no doubt about that, but i dont think thats our biggest need right now.

Our forwards are left alone in the offensive zone, we have almost no support from the D, we are seriously suffering from a lack of mobility and our defense is too old.

They are solid defensively when correctly used, with the appropriate amount of icetime, we all know that. Even if recently, we are not enjoying a lot of good results, we still have a good record when it comes to goals allowed and defensive performances.

The problem is that they're absolutely unable to help offensively, and this is even more obvious now that Subban is looking for confidence and struggling with his game.

We need an offensive and mobile player, able to log +22-23 mins each night...Kaberle, Pitkanen, i dont care who, but we have to clearly identify the need we have.

And when Martin is gonna put Weber instead of Picard in the lineup ?
I wanna see Spacek playing on the left side...for once, please ?
Et voila!! We need a top puckmoving defenseman able to handle the PP, a guy who can shot as well.. Everytime one of our D shot the puck ist rather blocked or wide beside of the net.. we have 0 contribution from behind.. In fact the best to take shots from the point is Weber and Im pretty sure he will be reinserted in the line-up for the next game.. hopefully we never see Picard again, unless Martin has enough of Gill or Spacek...

NewHabsEra* is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 08:21 AM
  #980
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 7,004
vCash: 500
against big teams this hab team is lost

sampollock is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 09:13 AM
  #981
JayBee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,652
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
against big teams this hab team is lost
A number of us have been saying this for a looooooooooong time. Only to be called negative nancies and debbie downers.

JayBee* is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 09:28 AM
  #982
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
rather get Whitney from EDM
It's not an either or situation. Whitney is a key played in Edmonton and he is probably not on the trading block so his value is probably about 5 times what Bieksa would cost. He's signed at 4 mil for 2 1/2 years, so he's a good cap hit, plus he is only 27. I don't see us getting him unless we want to move Price or Subban. Bieksa on the other hand might only cost a mid round pick or B prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Same, I had asked Eric Engles and Steven Hindle on their live chat how much Whitney would cost the Habs from Edmonton, he said a mid round pick and mid-level prospect.
LMAO

Those guys are on drugs. He's on pace for 65 points, leading his team in scoring, he has a very nice contract at 4 mil cap hit for 2.5 more years, why would Edmonton even consider trading him unless somebody overpays, let alone for a mid round pick plus a mid level prospect...maybe you have it confused with their response for Bieksa.


Last edited by habsprospects: 12-27-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Monctonscout is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 09:36 AM
  #983
Frozenice
the random dude
 
Frozenice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
against big teams this hab team is lost
Also against more skilled teams.

I think they've figured out a way to circumvent our master game plan of getting a goal or two lead and sitting on it for the entire game by scoring first.

Frozenice is online now  
Old
12-22-2010, 09:36 AM
  #984
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
A lot of people say a lot of stuff. One key to happiness is not getting your hopes up and investing emotional/intellectual/physical energy about the most unlikely of possibilities that someone, somewhere, who doesn't even know what they're talking about, suggest you pay attention to.

If anyone, Gilbert will be the first one out between the two. I have nothing tangible (i.e. links, references, analysis, etc) to provide in terms of "why" or "how", but I still feel almost confident enough to say "book it".
I don't think there is a huge market for Gilbert, he's taken a step back the last 2 years and he's on the hook for 4 mil for another 3+ years, that's a lot for a 30 point d-man. Not great value in a cap world(see Phaneuf Beauchemin Komisarek Finger).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov76 View Post
Personally I would try to fetch Regehr. He eats a lot of minutes and he would add some sandpaper.
Looking at Sutter latest trades, I think Gauthier could pull it out.
We need a puck moving d-man more than another stay at home type.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
against big teams this hab team is lost
We were lost last night against a pretty small team. It's not a size thing, it's a poor defensive play issue. I'd like to get smaller on defense by sitting the 220lbs Picard for the 196lbs weber.


Last edited by habsprospects: 12-27-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Monctonscout is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 10:57 AM
  #985
ChoseLa
Registered User
 
ChoseLa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Martinique
Posts: 4,247
vCash: 500
We desperatly need an offensive gifted d-men, Weber would be a step in the right direction. But we can't hope for Subban and Weber to make up for it, Hammer is good but we'd need another gifted established top 4.

ChoseLa is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 11:22 AM
  #986
Raskolnikov76
Registered User
 
Raskolnikov76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montréal
Posts: 429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
We need a puck moving d-man more than another stay at home type.
Oh definetely. But those are hard to fetch.

I just posted Regehr in reaction to the Bieksa suggestion. And because Sutter seems to screw up every trade.

Raskolnikov76 is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 11:51 AM
  #987
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
I don't think there is a huge market for Gilbert, he's taken a step back the last 2 years and he's on the hook for 4 mil for another 3+ years, that's a lot for a 30 point d-man. Not great value in a cap world(see Phaneuf Beauchemin Komisarek Finger).
I'm not saying there's a huge market. I'm saying that if you want to target a "top-4" guy from Edmonton, you're 3.14x10 to the 1000th power more likely to get Gilbert from them instead of Whitney. And I don't think that's much of an exaggeration at all. Gilbert has been shaky and streaky all year for them, and costs the same (or more) as Whitney, like you said. That's all I was saying there.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 01:44 PM
  #988
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov76 View Post
Oh definetely. But those are hard to fetch.

I just posted Regehr in reaction to the Bieksa suggestion. And because Sutter seems to screw up every trade.
Bieksa would be a lot cheaper and he is more mobile/skilled than Regehr.

That could bridge us to the trade deadline where we could look at a guy like Jovo Kaberle or Pitkanen depending on cost and how the team is doing.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 01:45 PM
  #989
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On
 
Winroba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I'm aware of that. That's why I talked in terms of cap hit, which I assumed WAS "pro-rated" when dealing with LTIR (and I always understood that it would be in terms of # of days in the season, not days in a year, or whatever). In fact, you continue with:



Yeah, so I think it turns out that I knew what I was talking about and simply didn't know what the numbers on nhlnumbers and capgeek were telling me. capgeek has handy little ? hover help balloons which I have finally found, and I think I'm back on the same page with reality.

I did, however, forget about having to be cap compliant again before the player can be brought back in from LTIR. It escaped my consideration for a moment that every call-up to replace a non-LTIR issue whittles away at remaining cap space, and, in fact, can push you over in some cases (as can trades, but I was considering that, obviously). Is this what has happened with the Canucks? I mean, they started the year cap compliant, right?
Sorry, I meant his cap hit isn't pro-rated, so we each made a mistake there.

The Canucks started out cap compliant but it was through a lot of moves. Both Burrows and Salo needed to be fit in the lineup before they could be placed on LTIR so Gillis (he has a guy who's job is specifically to crunch cap numbers) brought up lots of guys and sent a bunch of people down a whole bunch of times to fit everyone in.

It's confusing, the Canucks are one of the most difficult to explain teams in terms of cap.

Winroba is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 01:46 PM
  #990
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 30,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I'm not saying there's a huge market. I'm saying that if you want to target a "top-4" guy from Edmonton, you're 3.14x10 to the 1000th power more likely to get Gilbert from them instead of Whitney. And I don't think that's much of an exaggeration at all. Gilbert has been shaky and streaky all year for them, and costs the same (or more) as Whitney, like you said. That's all I was saying there.
Ok. I would much prefer Bieksa and if things go well maybe extend him for 3-4 years after. Gives you a younger option to Gill, Hamrlik and Spacek going forward.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 01:55 PM
  #991
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,641
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
Sorry, I meant his cap hit isn't pro-rated, so we each made a mistake there.

The Canucks started out cap compliant but it was through a lot of moves. Both Burrows and Salo needed to be fit in the lineup before they could be placed on LTIR so Gillis (he has a guy who's job is specifically to crunch cap numbers) brought up lots of guys and sent a bunch of people down a whole bunch of times to fit everyone in.

It's confusing, the Canucks are one of the most difficult to explain teams in terms of cap.
It's all good. I appreciate you checking back now and again and giving it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Ok. I would much prefer Bieksa and if things go well maybe extend him for 3-4 years after. Gives you a younger option to Gill, Hamrlik and Spacek going forward.
Yup, agreed. Also, forgot to mention that I had to lol at the list of the Leafs' d-corps when talking about low value, hehe. Ripping on them really, really never gets old.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 08:28 AM
  #992
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 7,004
vCash: 500
the more i watch the habs now, i see they need a mentor for pk....get regher.

sampollock is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 09:15 AM
  #993
shutehinside
Registered User
 
shutehinside's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,571
vCash: 500
I don't think anyone would argue that we're a better team with Markov then without. That being said the Habs should try to get the type of player if at all possible. We have the offensive ability up front, what we're missing most is someone to spark the offense.

An example is when Gomez was out if the lime up, we couldn't get into the offensive zone without him carrying it in. With Markov out we no longer have the ability or it's been incredibly diminished to break out and set up in the offensive zone. Thats what we need to replace and is our biggest concern right now IMO. The good news is that with Markov being out retroactively, we can afford both at the deadline granted one is UFA. We could technically afford a Campbell/Kaberle etc AND a Richards/Penner etc type player. If PG plays his cards right and has some luck on his side, we can make 2 major acquisitions at the deadline that could get us over the hump an possibly the Flyers.

shutehinside is online now  
Old
12-23-2010, 02:12 PM
  #994
sampollock
Registered User
 
sampollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: in my home
Posts: 7,004
vCash: 500
it is time the habs make a trade to make the difference, and push them even more to the top....

the ak in and out of the line up, needs to end, and get a trade to make this team rock

sampollock is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 02:33 PM
  #995
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On
 
Winroba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
It's all good. I appreciate you checking back now and again and giving it a shot.
Not like anything else is going on.

Canucks hired a guy who's only job is to be consulted on about the salary cap. So he makes it as difficult to follow as possible.

Winroba is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:18 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.