HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Habs-related Eklund rumours Part II

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Rutabaga

vCash: 500
Regehr is a great player, one of the best defensive defensemen in the league, no doubt about that, but i dont think thats our biggest need right now.

Our forwards are left alone in the offensive zone, we have almost no support from the D, we are seriously suffering from a lack of mobility and our defense is too old.

They are solid defensively when correctly used, with the appropriate amount of icetime, we all know that. Even if recently, we are not enjoying a lot of good results, we still have a good record when it comes to goals allowed and defensive performances.

The problem is that they're absolutely unable to help offensively, and this is even more obvious now that Subban is looking for confidence and struggling with his game.

We need an offensive and mobile player, able to log +22-23 mins each night...Kaberle, Pitkanen, i dont care who, but we have to clearly identify the need we have.

And when Martin is gonna put Weber instead of Picard in the lineup ?
I wanna see Spacek playing on the left side...for once, please ?

Old
12-22-2010, 01:07 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
No, it's not exactly like that.

The $100k is because without Salo, the Canucks have spent $59.3mil and the remaining cap space on LTIR is simply what the Canucks haven't filled. So they could replace a $500,000 player with a $600,000 player to use up that last bit of cap space.

When a player is on LTIR his salary isn't pro-rated.
I'm aware of that. That's why I talked in terms of cap hit, which I assumed WAS "pro-rated" when dealing with LTIR (and I always understood that it would be in terms of # of days in the season, not days in a year, or whatever). In fact, you continue with:

Quote:
To simplify it a bit, I'll explain it like this.

There's two hundred and something days in the regular season. Every day of the season the player is active on the roster (or on short term IR) his cap hit is divided by 1/two hundred somethingth.

So say there were 100 days in the season, a player who was making $100 per year's cap hit would go down by a dollar for every day he was on the active roster. If he were on LTIR for 50 days out of the season, his cap hit would go down by two dollars every day.

Now to put this back into Salo, he gets his full salary, but the Canucks don't "bank" anything by having him on LTIR, they are simply allowed to exceed the salary cap by Salo's cap hit, however they have to be 100% cap compliant before Salo can be brought back into the lineup.
Yeah, so I think it turns out that I knew what I was talking about and simply didn't know what the numbers on nhlnumbers and capgeek were telling me. capgeek has handy little ? hover help balloons which I have finally found, and I think I'm back on the same page with reality.

I did, however, forget about having to be cap compliant again before the player can be brought back in from LTIR. It escaped my consideration for a moment that every call-up to replace a non-LTIR issue whittles away at remaining cap space, and, in fact, can push you over in some cases (as can trades, but I was considering that, obviously). Is this what has happened with the Canucks? I mean, they started the year cap compliant, right?

Old
12-22-2010, 02:02 AM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post
Regehr is a great player, one of the best defensive defensemen in the league, no doubt about that, but i dont think thats our biggest need right now.

Our forwards are left alone in the offensive zone, we have almost no support from the D, we are seriously suffering from a lack of mobility and our defense is too old.

They are solid defensively when correctly used, with the appropriate amount of icetime, we all know that. Even if recently, we are not enjoying a lot of good results, we still have a good record when it comes to goals allowed and defensive performances.

The problem is that they're absolutely unable to help offensively, and this is even more obvious now that Subban is looking for confidence and struggling with his game.

We need an offensive and mobile player, able to log +22-23 mins each night...Kaberle, Pitkanen, i dont care who, but we have to clearly identify the need we have.

And his name is Alex Goligoski. See trade thread for more info.

Old
12-22-2010, 03:04 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutabaga View Post

Et voila!! We need a top puckmoving defenseman able to handle the PP, a guy who can shot as well.. Everytime one of our D shot the puck ist rather blocked or wide beside of the net.. we have 0 contribution from behind.. In fact the best to take shots from the point is Weber and Im pretty sure he will be reinserted in the line-up for the next game.. hopefully we never see Picard again, unless Martin has enough of Gill or Spacek...

Old
12-22-2010, 08:21 AM
sampollock

against big teams this hab team is lost

Old
12-22-2010, 09:13 AM
JayBee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sampollock View Post
A number of us have been saying this for a looooooooooong time. Only to be called negative nancies and debbie downers.

Old
12-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
rather get Whitney from EDM
It's not an either or situation. Whitney is a key played in Edmonton and he is probably not on the trading block so his value is probably about 5 times what Bieksa would cost. He's signed at 4 mil for 2 1/2 years, so he's a good cap hit, plus he is only 27. I don't see us getting him unless we want to move Price or Subban. Bieksa on the other hand might only cost a mid round pick or B prospect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarfangor View Post
Same, I had asked Eric Engles and Steven Hindle on their live chat how much Whitney would cost the Habs from Edmonton, he said a mid round pick and mid-level prospect.
LMAO

Those guys are on drugs. He's on pace for 65 points, leading his team in scoring, he has a very nice contract at 4 mil cap hit for 2.5 more years, why would Edmonton even consider trading him unless somebody overpays, let alone for a mid round pick plus a mid level prospect...maybe you have it confused with their response for Bieksa.

Last edited by habsprospects: 12-27-2010 at 07:56 PM.
Old
12-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Also against more skilled teams.

I think they've figured out a way to circumvent our master game plan of getting a goal or two lead and sitting on it for the entire game by scoring first.

Old
12-22-2010, 09:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
A lot of people say a lot of stuff. One key to happiness is not getting your hopes up and investing emotional/intellectual/physical energy about the most unlikely of possibilities that someone, somewhere, who doesn't even know what they're talking about, suggest you pay attention to.

If anyone, Gilbert will be the first one out between the two. I have nothing tangible (i.e. links, references, analysis, etc) to provide in terms of "why" or "how", but I still feel almost confident enough to say "book it".
I don't think there is a huge market for Gilbert, he's taken a step back the last 2 years and he's on the hook for 4 mil for another 3+ years, that's a lot for a 30 point d-man. Not great value in a cap world(see Phaneuf Beauchemin Komisarek Finger).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov76 View Post
Personally I would try to fetch Regehr. He eats a lot of minutes and he would add some sandpaper.
Looking at Sutter latest trades, I think Gauthier could pull it out.
We need a puck moving d-man more than another stay at home type.

Quote:
We were lost last night against a pretty small team. It's not a size thing, it's a poor defensive play issue. I'd like to get smaller on defense by sitting the 220lbs Picard for the 196lbs weber.

Last edited by habsprospects: 12-27-2010 at 07:55 PM.
Old
12-22-2010, 10:57 AM
ChoseLa

We desperatly need an offensive gifted d-men, Weber would be a step in the right direction. But we can't hope for Subban and Weber to make up for it, Hammer is good but we'd need another gifted established top 4.

Old
12-22-2010, 11:22 AM
Raskolnikov76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
We need a puck moving d-man more than another stay at home type.
Oh definetely. But those are hard to fetch.

I just posted Regehr in reaction to the Bieksa suggestion. And because Sutter seems to screw up every trade.

Old
12-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I don't think there is a huge market for Gilbert, he's taken a step back the last 2 years and he's on the hook for 4 mil for another 3+ years, that's a lot for a 30 point d-man. Not great value in a cap world(see Phaneuf Beauchemin Komisarek Finger).
I'm not saying there's a huge market. I'm saying that if you want to target a "top-4" guy from Edmonton, you're 3.14x10 to the 1000th power more likely to get Gilbert from them instead of Whitney. And I don't think that's much of an exaggeration at all. Gilbert has been shaky and streaky all year for them, and costs the same (or more) as Whitney, like you said. That's all I was saying there.

Old
12-22-2010, 01:44 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raskolnikov76 View Post
Oh definetely. But those are hard to fetch.

I just posted Regehr in reaction to the Bieksa suggestion. And because Sutter seems to screw up every trade.
Bieksa would be a lot cheaper and he is more mobile/skilled than Regehr.

That could bridge us to the trade deadline where we could look at a guy like Jovo Kaberle or Pitkanen depending on cost and how the team is doing.

Old
12-22-2010, 01:45 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
I'm aware of that. That's why I talked in terms of cap hit, which I assumed WAS "pro-rated" when dealing with LTIR (and I always understood that it would be in terms of # of days in the season, not days in a year, or whatever). In fact, you continue with:

Yeah, so I think it turns out that I knew what I was talking about and simply didn't know what the numbers on nhlnumbers and capgeek were telling me. capgeek has handy little ? hover help balloons which I have finally found, and I think I'm back on the same page with reality.

I did, however, forget about having to be cap compliant again before the player can be brought back in from LTIR. It escaped my consideration for a moment that every call-up to replace a non-LTIR issue whittles away at remaining cap space, and, in fact, can push you over in some cases (as can trades, but I was considering that, obviously). Is this what has happened with the Canucks? I mean, they started the year cap compliant, right?
Sorry, I meant his cap hit isn't pro-rated, so we each made a mistake there.

The Canucks started out cap compliant but it was through a lot of moves. Both Burrows and Salo needed to be fit in the lineup before they could be placed on LTIR so Gillis (he has a guy who's job is specifically to crunch cap numbers) brought up lots of guys and sent a bunch of people down a whole bunch of times to fit everyone in.

It's confusing, the Canucks are one of the most difficult to explain teams in terms of cap.

Old
12-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I'm not saying there's a huge market. I'm saying that if you want to target a "top-4" guy from Edmonton, you're 3.14x10 to the 1000th power more likely to get Gilbert from them instead of Whitney. And I don't think that's much of an exaggeration at all. Gilbert has been shaky and streaky all year for them, and costs the same (or more) as Whitney, like you said. That's all I was saying there.
Ok. I would much prefer Bieksa and if things go well maybe extend him for 3-4 years after. Gives you a younger option to Gill, Hamrlik and Spacek going forward.

Old
12-22-2010, 01:55 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Sorry, I meant his cap hit isn't pro-rated, so we each made a mistake there.

The Canucks started out cap compliant but it was through a lot of moves. Both Burrows and Salo needed to be fit in the lineup before they could be placed on LTIR so Gillis (he has a guy who's job is specifically to crunch cap numbers) brought up lots of guys and sent a bunch of people down a whole bunch of times to fit everyone in.

It's confusing, the Canucks are one of the most difficult to explain teams in terms of cap.
It's all good. I appreciate you checking back now and again and giving it a shot.

Quote:
Ok. I would much prefer Bieksa and if things go well maybe extend him for 3-4 years after. Gives you a younger option to Gill, Hamrlik and Spacek going forward.
Yup, agreed. Also, forgot to mention that I had to lol at the list of the Leafs' d-corps when talking about low value, hehe. Ripping on them really, really never gets old.

Old
12-23-2010, 08:28 AM
sampollock

the more i watch the habs now, i see they need a mentor for pk....get regher.

Old
12-23-2010, 09:15 AM
shutehinside

I don't think anyone would argue that we're a better team with Markov then without. That being said the Habs should try to get the type of player if at all possible. We have the offensive ability up front, what we're missing most is someone to spark the offense.

An example is when Gomez was out if the lime up, we couldn't get into the offensive zone without him carrying it in. With Markov out we no longer have the ability or it's been incredibly diminished to break out and set up in the offensive zone. Thats what we need to replace and is our biggest concern right now IMO. The good news is that with Markov being out retroactively, we can afford both at the deadline granted one is UFA. We could technically afford a Campbell/Kaberle etc AND a Richards/Penner etc type player. If PG plays his cards right and has some luck on his side, we can make 2 major acquisitions at the deadline that could get us over the hump an possibly the Flyers.

Old
12-23-2010, 02:12 PM
sampollock

it is time the habs make a trade to make the difference, and push them even more to the top....

the ak in and out of the line up, needs to end, and get a trade to make this team rock

Old
12-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Quote:
It's all good. I appreciate you checking back now and again and giving it a shot.
Not like anything else is going on.

Canucks hired a guy who's only job is to be consulted on about the salary cap. So he makes it as difficult to follow as possible.

Closed Thread