HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dustin Boyd on Waivers... Again (Cleared... Again)

Old
12-20-2010, 03:16 PM
ILuvLucic*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Boyd has scored 4 goals in 3 games !
Is that easy to score goals in AHL ?
Compared to the NHL, yes.

ILuvLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 01:13 AM
Asamu

Hey guys, did you notice that Dustin Boyd piled up 4 goals in 3 games since he was sent down?

On the other hand, that's actually very good for DD and I was wondering how he will adapt himself without Pacioretti at his side. I'm pretty sure that Boyd likes him already since everyone looks good while playing with him.

Asamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 09:30 AM
Fanpuck33

At least this time they actually sent him down and took his salary off the cap hit.

Fanpuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 09:34 AM
HCH

This probably means that the next call-up won't be Boyd. The Habs would have to expose him to re-entry waivers and a team looking for a very inexpensive depth player would have one for $250,000.

That has to be good news for guys like Desharnais, Maxwell and White. No team goes through a season without at least a couple of call-ups and one of them could be next.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 09:48 AM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanpuck33 View Post
At least this time they actually sent him down and took his salary off the cap hit.
What does it matter that it is off the cap, if they actually don't use it?

gusfring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 10:04 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Because it gives the team more room for a trade deadline acquisition if they decide to make one.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 07:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
Boyd has scored 4 goals in 3 games !
Is that easy to score goals in AHL ?
make it 5 in 4 games.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 09:04 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Still don't get why he wasn't given one shift on an offensive line when we were struggling offensively as he has some offensive talent, but nice to see him playing well in the AHL. Desharnais 2 short handed goals tonight and 4 points, the kid deserves a chance with us already.

YMCMBeaulieu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 10:18 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Good for Boyd.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Just as importantly as what HCH said, it also means that the Habs are no longer using their bonus cushion. Calling Pacioretty up put the Habs over the salary cap and they started eating into it to stay legal. The problem with using the bonus cushion is that whatever amount of the cushion you use this year counts against you next year. Now, they only start eating into again if they need to call someone up or bring in salary via trade.

Old
12-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Just as importantly as what HCH said, it also means that the Habs are no longer using their bonus cushion. Calling Pacioretty up put the Habs over the salary cap and they started eating into it to stay legal. The problem with using the bonus cushion is that whatever amount of the cushion you use this year counts against you next year. Now, they only start eating into again if they need to call someone up or bring in salary via trade.
The Habs were never close to being over the cap, with Markov on LITR for 80% of the season they have 4 mil more to play with on top of the neraly 1 mil they started the season with(though Weber+ Pacioretty minus Boyd costs us about 800k of that).

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 10:54 AM
ChoseLa

I wonder if he'd be taken in re-entry waivers.

ChoseLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:27 AM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The Habs were never close to being over the cap, with Markov on LITR for 80% of the season they have 4 mil more to play with on top of the neraly 1 mil they started the season with(though Weber+ Pacioretty minus Boyd costs us about 800k of that).
Edit: It was my impression that a team had to eat through its bonus cushion before getting into LTIR space. Apparently not only are bonuses treated differently this season, the LTIR is somehow separate from any bonuses, even though bonuses are counted towards the cap. The NHL salary cap has got to be one of the most over complicated things in all of sports. Why can't they just make things easy and have injured players just drop off the cap completely. Either way, having Boyd off the cap hit now means they are not eating into any LTIR savings and are thus that much further from any penalties for next season if they were to use up all of those savings from Markov's injury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
I'm sure the Habs would much rather pay him full salary to not count against the cap than they would to pay him half price and count partially toward the cap.

Last edited by Fanpuck33: 12-22-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old
12-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Edit: It was my impression that a team had to eat through its bonus cushion before getting into LTIR space. Apparently not only are bonuses treated differently this season, the LTIR is somehow separate from any bonuses, even though bonuses are counted towards the cap. The NHL salary cap has got to be one of the most over complicated things in all of sports. Why can't they just make things easy and have injured players just drop off the cap completely. Either way, having Boyd off the cap hit now means they are not eating into any LTIR savings and are thus that much further from any penalties for next season if they were to use up all of those savings from Markov's injury.

I'm sure the Habs would much rather pay him full salary to not count against the cap than they would to pay him half price and count partially toward the cap.
The salary cap is not that complicated, LITR and bonuses complicate things a bit, but it's not exactly rockey science. If you put Markov on LITR for 80% of the season you get 80% of his cap hit in relief.

The only way I can see Boyd called up is after the trade deadline if we have 1 mil or more of cap room and they want him as an extra down the stretch.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 02:55 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
It sucks for Boyd, but I'd rather see them leave him in Hamilton as the Dogs are one of the youngest teams in the AHL, and likely have the youngest group of forwards in the league since the only player they have over 23 is Desharnais, Wyman and Bonneau. Even though Boyd, Wyman and DD are only 24, it's good to have another experienced forward on the team since they have 5 rookie forwards (Avtsin/Dumont/Engqvist/Schultz/Bishop)

Plus with Pacioretty in the NHL, the Dogs lose the top goal scorer in the AHL, so Boyd can pick up some of the slack in the goal scoring department.

Old
12-22-2010, 03:27 PM
shutehinside

Can someone please explain why Boyd is in the AHL and Pyatt is still with the big club? I really don't get it.

shutehinside is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 03:31 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
Can someone please explain why Boyd is in the AHL and Pyatt is still with the big club? I really don't get it.
Pyatt is a great PKer. Boyd is basically average or worse at everything.

It's not like Boyds production in the AHL is a big deal. Pyatt killed it there too.

Old
12-22-2010, 03:32 PM
phoque taupe

Quote:
Coz pyatt is our beast on the PK!!!

To me our best PKer is Price.
To me, any player can be a good penalty killer, but eh im not coach

phoque taupe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 03:37 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
Pyatt is a great PKer. Boyd is basically average or worse at everything.

It's not like Boyds production in the AHL is a big deal. Pyatt killed it there too.
That may be and I haven't seen enough of Boyd but what I did see was waay more offensive upside. Pyatt has hands of stone. Is he really a consitantly better player than Boyd is or Lapierre etc?

Old
12-22-2010, 03:52 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
That may be and I haven't seen enough of Boyd but what I did see was waay more offensive upside. Pyatt has hands of stone. Is he really a consitantly better player than Boyd is or Lapierre etc?
I don't see why Lapierre is brought up cause he's been playing every game.

As for being better than Boyd? From what they displayed this year, everyone was better than Boyd. Boyd was a liability each time he was on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fawktop View Post
Coz pyatt is our beast on the PK!!!

To me our best PKer is Price.
To me, any player can be a good penalty killer, but eh im not coach
If any player can be good PKers, why are some teams so poor? Do you really want Pouliot - Kostitsyn killing a penalty together with Picard and Weber on defense?

I'm sure that'd post great results.

Old
12-22-2010, 04:12 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by natey2k4 View Post
I don't see why Lapierre is brought up cause he's been playing every game.

As for being better than Boyd? From what they displayed this year, everyone was better than Boyd. Boyd was a liability each time he was on the ice.

If any player can be good PKers, why are some teams so poor? Do you really want Pouliot - Kostitsyn killing a penalty together with Picard and Weber on defense?

I'm sure that'd post great results.
I bring up Lapierre because he's another player who is doing much with his ice time. I have to disagree on Boyd though. Sure he hasn't played much but I don't think he's as bad as you're making him sound imo.

Old
12-22-2010, 05:05 PM
HabsolutelyCanadien

I think Halpern was the best player we got this summer! Boyd is good but he didn't score much with us! so because of that I would love to have someone better than him! but anyways! GO HABS GO!

HabsolutelyCanadien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 05:51 PM
Fanpuck33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
The salary cap is not that complicated, LITR and bonuses complicate things a bit, but it's not exactly rockey science. If you put Markov on LITR for 80% of the season you get 80% of his cap hit in relief.

The only way I can see Boyd called up is after the trade deadline if we have 1 mil or more of cap room and they want him as an extra down the stretch.
Bonuses complicate things a lot, especially since the rules surrounding them change depending on the status of the CBA. If Eller and Weber reach their bonuses and the team is forced to use the relief that Markov's LTIR status provides, they could end up with a cap penalty next season. So my point still stands that having Boyd off the cap for the rest of the year helps, as it decreases the possibility of a penalty for next season.

As for the complexity of it all, I still say it is quite complex and they way it is written is purely lawyer speak. For example, it is silly that Markov being on LTIR has absolutely no effect unless they actually need the space, which doesn't happen until they use up all the space they have accrued by being under the cap thus far. It makes sense to me that a player only be classified as LTIR at a point at which it actually has an effect. And do they really need to allow teams save up cap space early in the year so that they can have more later? For example, if a team is 2.5 million under the cap to start the season, they can only add 2.5 million in salary. If they wait half a season, they've saved up enough to go get a 5 million salary player. I find it ridiculous that a team could finish with annual salaries well above the cap, but be legal because they saved up space by being under.

Old
12-26-2010, 03:16 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

6 goals in 5 games for Boyd.

Old
12-26-2010, 05:24 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses