HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Deadline Talk

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2010, 03:41 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
I'd love to get Manny Malhotra. He's a player I've coveted for a while.

And Roloson would be great for us, but why would NYI do us any favors? Unless Wang goes nuts and then deals him to us for Shelley and Leighton

Old
12-22-2010, 03:57 PM
BernieParent

If Bob is floundering, how about Bryzgalov for Leighton, Carcillo, an AHL Dman and the ever-popular 2nd? The cap numbers probably don't work.

Old
12-22-2010, 03:59 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
If Bob is floundering, how about Bryzgalov for Leighton, Carcillo, an AHL Dman and the ever-popular 2nd? The cap numbers probably don't work.
They wouldn't give us Bryz if you changed that 2nd for a 1st.

Old
12-22-2010, 04:00 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Bryzgalov is practically untouchable for Phoenix. No way they deal him.

Old
12-22-2010, 04:40 PM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2minutes4slashing View Post
I know this may be a bit off the beaten path here , but if a couple key forwards were to get injured in the 2nd half of the season for an extended period of time, would anyone want to take a chance on a proven playoff performer in Miroslav Satan? ... where is that guy even playing this year if he's even playing at all?
Satan is still a free agent.

Old
12-22-2010, 04:48 PM
mercury

I'd be interested in a big, veteran 2nd/3rd line winger who can pot a few goal and not be awful on defense. Is Erik Cole playing through some type of horrific injury right now?

Old
12-22-2010, 04:56 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
Bryzgalov is practically untouchable for Phoenix. No way they deal him.
the league is still running the coyotes anyway right? they wouldnt approve of such a trade to the flyers.

Old
12-22-2010, 05:02 PM
agrudez*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
the league is still running the coyotes anyway right? they wouldnt approve of such a trade to the flyers.
I am pretty sure that ended.

Old
12-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by agrudez View Post
I am pretty sure that ended.
Yeah, some dude took over, and if he hasn't yet...well, he will shortly.

Old
12-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Kaktus*

imo
1. Roloson would be a fine option at the dead line. Maybe even look at Nabby right now. Nabby and Bobrovsky is a fine idea. Plus we do not have to trade for Nabby.

2. I think Flyers could really use a big forward. Some one that gets dirty goals around the net on PP. Like Knuble used to do. Probably the only skill that we are missing on our team.

Waive Boucher and Leighton to create a cap room. Walker should probably be out too. I do not mind trading Carcillo. Almost 5M right there.

Dd not really read this thread but anyway, what do you say?

Old
12-22-2010, 05:38 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
The only real spots I could see being filled are a veteran 7th D man a legit back up goalie and a fourth line winger.

The backup goalie is the least of the worries. If Boosh can continue to play well then thats fine. But with our luck that isnt happening. Roloson would be ideal but I dont want to sell the farm for him considering hes 41.

A veteran 7th D man would be nice just in case one our top 6 dmen go down. Maybe someone you dont even have to trade for like Jay McKee or Kim Johnsson. We got very lucky last year with little to no injuries to our top 4. Right now I wouldnt trust Bartulis out there in the playoffs.

The fourth line winger would have to be somebody cheap. The trade for him would have to involve Carcillo. I may be the minority here but I actually really like Shelley. I think he deserves to play most nights. However I dont think he can help much when it matters most. Same thing with Carcillo. He got out of hand too many times last year. That could kill us in the playoffs. However Carcilo has some value. He has shown he can play pretty "well" with star guys like Richards and Gagne. I think we could get a good fourth liner for him. Someone like Winnik Sjostrom or LaRose. Or of course the solution could be as simple as calling up a guy like Kalinski.

Just some thoughts.

Old
12-22-2010, 05:40 PM
Flyerfan808

This team is strapped for cap space. We could purge the injury prone and the undersireables:

Leighton OR Boucher
Walker
Shelley

but no one in the league would want them.

We don't have picks to trade, and our prospects cupboard is bare.

The only way I could see us getting a blockbuster done. Is if someone gets season ending injured before the deadline and Holmgren probably felt forced to make a trade to try and replace his production.

Old
12-22-2010, 05:43 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaktus View Post
imo
1. Roloson would be a fine option at the dead line. Maybe even look at Nabby right now. Nabby and Bobrovsky is a fine idea. Plus we do not have to trade for Nabby.
Even if the Flyers wanted Nabokov, the chances he'd actually make it to Philly are very, very slim. He has to pass through waivers, no matter where he chooses to sign (if he chooses to sign during the 10/11 season), and given that he probably wouldn't command a lot of money and the contract would be pro-rated for roughly half a season, I'd say Nabby isn't much of an option.

Someone would certainly grab him off of waivers.

Old
12-22-2010, 05:46 PM
HemskyToHall*

Here is what the Flyers need to be set for the playoffs:

1. A faceoff winning center/penalty killing expert.

Carter/Giroux are the only centers with a face off percentage over 50%. (Giroux may also be shifted to wing during the playoffs)

Betts is a great penalty killer, but his faceoff percentage is sub 50%, which is somewhat concerning for me since the opposing team will gain possession right after the faceoff. I'm thinking the Flyers should go out and get a good faceoff guy for the 4th line and top penalty killing unit with ?Richards?.

I was thinking something around a pick and Marty Reasoner. (3rd Rounder at most)

A goalie. I don't think Leighton/Boucher and Bob duo can withstand the firepower of a strong offense in the playoffs. (Pens, Nucks, RedWings) This is why I think Roloson would help. He's been in the playoffs before, has somewhat decent stats on a horrible team and has intangibles to go with his quality goaltending.

I am thinking a conditional draft pick along with a warm body (Leighton/Walker), which can become as high as a 2nd rounder if the Flyers reach the finals. (Think Guerin type trade)

Hartnell-Briere-Leino
Nodl-Richards-Giroux
Zherdev-Carter-Van Riemsdyk
Betts-Reasoner-Powe
Carcillo (Will sub in for Powe for certain games)

Shelley (Non-existing in the playoffs, hopefully)

Pronger-Carle
Timonen-Coburn
Meszaros-O'Donnell
Bartulis (Same situation as Shelley)

Roloson
Bobrovsky
Boucher (Hopefully we won't get to this)

Old
12-22-2010, 05:53 PM
Garbage Goal

At the moment, there's not any options really. I'd like someone more reliable then Bartulis as our extra d-man, especially considering O' Donnell's age and Pronger's injury, but that's the only move to improve our club that would realistically be made.

I'd love a proven starter, but we already have three goalies, don't have a lot of expendable assets to trade, and you just know that management sees absolutely nothing wrong with the goaltending considering their whole stance on it (I mean, they signed Leighton as our starter in the off-season).

So those are two important openings that a trade could help us improve in, but only one of those two is realistic.

There's also the fact that, like I said before, we don't have much in the way of expendable assets. Our prospects are pretty crappy and our pool is too barren to let anyone important go, were going to be missing our 2nd round pick for like the millionth year in a row so we can't afford to lose our 1st round pick for the millionth year in a row as well, and the only easily expendable players on our NHL rosters are depth guys (guys like Bartulis).

Old
12-22-2010, 06:16 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
Hah, especially if we're poised to eliminate their darling Pens or Caps.

Old
12-22-2010, 09:53 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEIFey View Post
I'd love to get Manny Malhotra. He's a player I've coveted for a while.

And Roloson would be great for us, but why would NYI do us any favors? Unless Wang goes nuts and then deals him to us for Shelley and Leighton
Isles won't have any problem trading Roloson to the Flyers because he is 41 and they are a good number of years away from contending.

3rd rd pick & maybe a mid-tier prospect...cost could go up if CHI & TB make it a bidding war.

I don't think the Flyers even need to go after a guy like Manny. Jamal Mayers would be a solid 4th liner that can step in to takes F/Os. I think he has around 60% winning percentage. He makes less money and would be easier to acquire.

Old
12-22-2010, 11:08 PM
JojoTheWhale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing either Walker/Leights - or Carbomb go for a one Vernon Fiddler.
I couldn't agree more. If Phoenix is out of the race, that's the exact type of defensive-minded forward that can take faceoffs and kill penalties that I'd love to see added to the fourth line. A Betts-Fiddler-Powe line could be invaluable over the course of a series.

If Phoenix is hanging in the race, I'd be fine with someone like a Konopka or Reasoner too. I'd love Glencross, but I don't really see a match with what the Flyers have available in relation to what some other teams can offer.

I'm not overly comfortable with Bartulis either, but there just aren't many cheap pending UFA defenseman that wouldn't cost a king's ransom in trade that interest me in this market. They're not going to go out and get a Hejda or Martinek unless they're looking for someone to play on the 3rd pairing.

Last edited by JojoTheWhale: 12-22-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old
12-23-2010, 12:41 AM
captainpaxil

two guys ive been poking around at on the trade boards are mike grier from buffalo (shelly and a 4th) and taylor pyatt from pheonix (nodl). id like to see this team get some additional size/grit. but otherwise i like our chances standing still. no need to overpay for anything

Old
12-23-2010, 02:03 AM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by JojoTheWhale View Post
I couldn't agree more. If Phoenix is out of the race, that's the exact type of defensive-minded forward that can take faceoffs and kill penalties that I'd love to see added to the fourth line. A Betts-Fiddler-Powe line could be invaluable over the course of a series.

If Phoenix is hanging in the race, I'd be fine with someone like a Konopka or Reasoner too. I'd love Glencross, but I don't really see a match with what the Flyers have available in relation to what some other teams can offer.

I'm not overly comfortable with Bartulis either, but there just aren't many cheap pending UFA defenseman that wouldn't cost a king's ransom in trade that interest me in this market. They're not going to go out and get a Hejda or Martinek unless they're looking for someone to play on the 3rd pairing.
Glencross would be ideal, but he would also be a pure rental. He wants to get paid big time this offseason, apparently.

Old
12-23-2010, 07:43 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Isles won't have any problem trading Roloson to the Flyers because he is 41 and they are a good number of years away from contending.

3rd rd pick & maybe a mid-tier prospect...cost could go up if CHI & TB make it a bidding war.

I don't think the Flyers even need to go after a guy like Manny. Jamal Mayers would be a solid 4th liner that can step in to takes F/Os. I think he has around 60% winning percentage. He makes less money and would be easier to acquire.
Exactly. And any trade that benefits us also hurts them since they play against us so often. Then again, if they're intent on keeping up the rebuild, losing might actually help, though that franchise is in trouble in more ways than one.

I like Malhotra because he can be a regular in our top-9 as opposed to being mainly a 4th liner. The biggest hurdle is trying to fit his salary, since the Nucks are closer to the cap than we are, but he has been a player that I've wanted for a long time. He's the perfect 3rd line center, but then we have plenty of top-9 centers.

Old
12-23-2010, 08:18 AM
phillyfanatic

For some reason, I still can't get Vokoun out of my head. At the beginning of the year I was thinking we go after him at the deadline and I still think that is the guy.

I justed checked capgeek. If you don't have Walker, Leighton and one of Boucher/Bob (not keeping three goalies) we have enough to acquire Vokoun.

Not sure what Florida will want considering he is a rental, but Leighton + 1st rounder would do it. I assume Walker would be wavied and not sure about the third goalie.

Old
12-23-2010, 08:20 AM
straka91*

Sign Owen Nolan to a league min for rest of year a day or 2 before deadline.
Shelly waived, trade zheredev boucher for Roloston NYI can use another skilled foward.
Matt Walker and Noodle for John Scott (7th D man) and Exelby (Keep in AHL)
Offer Lappy a job at the front office.

I like the idea of trading for Grier but highly doubt Buf would take Shelly.

Something big will have to get Vokoun, he is not going to be cheap considering Phil's desperate need of goaltender being very known and already gives any team leverage. Maybe Briere and Vokoun and a decent vet center coming back.

Its Paul so to expect an even deal is insane.

Last edited by straka91*: 12-23-2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old
12-23-2010, 08:40 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyfanatic View Post
For some reason, I still can't get Vokoun out of my head. At the beginning of the year I was thinking we go after him at the deadline and I still think that is the guy.

I justed checked capgeek. If you don't have Walker, Leighton and one of Boucher/Bob (not keeping three goalies) we have enough to acquire Vokoun.

Not sure what Florida will want considering he is a rental, but Leighton + 1st rounder would do it. I assume Walker would be wavied and not sure about the third goalie.
while i do not think vokoun is going to command a great package, leighton and 1st will not get it done imo.

Old
12-23-2010, 08:41 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by straka91 View Post
Sign Owen Nolan to a league min for rest of year a day or 2 before deadline.
Shelly waived, trade zheredev boucher for Roloston NYI can use another skilled foward.
Matt Walker and Noodle for John Scott (7th D man) and Exelby (Keep in AHL)
Offer Lappy a job at the front office.

I like the idea of trading for Grier but highly doubt Buf would take Shelly.

Something big will have to get Vokoun, he is not going to be cheap considering Phil's desperate need of goaltender being very known and already gives any team leverage. Maybe Briere and Vokoun and a decent vet center coming back.

Its Paul so to expect an even deal is insane.
horrible deal.

Closed Thread