Federal Hockey League

Closed Thread

Old
12-20-2010, 11:13 AM
JeffNYI

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by billycanuck View Post
Not to be too personal, but did you go to school for sports business?
No I didn't..

Old
12-23-2010, 02:15 AM
Windstorm

I find the FHL to be a really interesting league. The quality of hockey looks decent, and if teams are placed in good locations with good venues, it could be successful. Danbury appears to be a solid hockey town, with attendance not that far below some ECHL teams. I'm sure the Whalers nostalgia helps too.

I'm not an expert on finances, but it seems to me for a team to make a profit, they would probably need a little over a thousand fans per game. In the BCHL, the Trail Smoke Eaters average around 900 people each game, and like most teams, break even or operate at a small loss. The team stated that if an extra hundred people came to each game, they would make a profit. I would imagine the expenses of a BCHL franchise are comparable to the FHL.

Old
12-23-2010, 05:22 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windstorm View Post
I find the FHL to be a really interesting league. The quality of hockey looks decent, and if teams are placed in good locations with good venues, it could be successful. Danbury appears to be a solid hockey town, with attendance not that far below some ECHL teams. I'm sure the Whalers nostalgia helps too.

I'm not an expert on finances, but it seems to me for a team to make a profit, they would probably need a little over a thousand fans per game. In the BCHL, the Trail Smoke Eaters average around 900 people each game, and like most teams, break even or operate at a small loss. The team stated that if an extra hundred people came to each game, they would make a profit. I would imagine the expenses of a BCHL franchise are comparable to the FHL.
You can't just look at the number in the stands you have to take in to account ticket prices.Sure a team could see out or close to it charging $5 a ticket but that does not help the bottom line.

Old
12-24-2010, 01:10 AM
Windstorm

The ticket prices of the two leagues are actually very similar. Most BCHL teams charge $13 for an adult, while the NY Aviators, for example, charge $12 per adult.

So I would imagine that the amount of fans needed to make a profit is around the same for each league, so in that case, Danbury is likely the only team currently making money. It's too bad because I'd like to see this league succeed. A thousand fans per game shouldn't be too difficult, but I suppose it is a challenge to establish a fan base with better hockey nearby.

Old
12-24-2010, 04:46 AM
Chevy Cheveldae

Send a message via MSN to Chevy Cheveldae
and the Broome County Barons is now gone, but looks to relocate - hopefully next week

http://bcbarons.pointstreaksites.com/view/bcbarons

Quote:
The team will no longer be playing out of Chenango Ice Rink," said Phil DeFranco, Chief Administrator of the FHL. "We just didn't have the attendance. We thought putting the team there was a good idea, but we found out having an AHL team (the Binghamton Senators) a few miles away was just a bad move. We thought we'd get better crowds, but the ownership was losing money hand over fist. They have a good team; it's just attendance. We had several groups of people who had shown interest in having a team next year, and they wouldn't be opposed to hosting the team for the remainder of this season." We are looking for the best option at this time.
Quote:
The Barons' average attendance was 314 through the first 11 home games, but many of those tickets were given out free of charge. Having only 75 paying fans for Johnny BowerNight on Wednesday pushed the local ownership group, which has lost tens of thousands of dollars in December alone, over the edge.

Old
12-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy Cheveldae View Post
and the Broome County Barons is now gone, but looks to relocate - hopefully next week

http://bcbarons.pointstreaksites.com/view/bcbarons
Seriously, why bother?

Where are they going to find a venue that's any better than a community skating rink, and doesn't already have a viable tenant?

Old
12-24-2010, 01:52 PM
billycanuck

Just a thought, but there was a group interested in bringing a team to Hyannis, MA this summer. New rink was built there last year and a IJHL team, Cape Cod Cubs, play there.

Old
12-24-2010, 08:25 PM
Prussian_Blue

Quote:
Just a thought, but there was a group interested in bringing a team to Hyannis, MA this summer. New rink was built there last year and a IJHL team, Cape Cod Cubs, play there.
That looks like a nice little facility, and probably about the right size for this league.

Old
12-24-2010, 08:33 PM
leoleo3535

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windstorm View Post

One major difference....salaries (while low) are paid to players in the FHL....they are not to BCHL payers.
Also many BCHL & AJHL clubs are not for profit businesses....thus they do not pay taxes etc.
Trail is one of those teams.

Old
12-24-2010, 09:02 PM
Windstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoleo3535 View Post
One major difference....salaries (while low) are paid to players in the FHL....they are not to BCHL payers.
Also many BCHL & AJHL clubs are not for profit businesses....thus they do not pay taxes etc.
Trail is one of those teams.
You're completely right about the salaries. I guess with pay, a FHL team probably needs around 1100 fans per game to generate a profit. Regardless, I think the rest of the finances are probably similar.

Old
12-29-2010, 09:21 AM
billycanuck

Napanee expansion?

Article yesterday in 'The Napanee Guide' stating that the FHL is interested in putting a team there despite people in town saying they don't want one.

Some quotes from the article:
"Curiously, FHL commissioner Don Kirnan said in an interview that the league is looking to expand to venues with at least 1,500 seats. The main arena at the Strathcona Paper Centre seats around 800 fans."

"This is a junior C town," Hart said. "We've been here 23 years and it seems like a perfect fit. I don't believe this town could support anything but a junior C team.

"Any time there is a new arena, there are always people looking to jump on the bandwagon. Often, they couldn't care less about the people there at the present time."

Full article here:
http://www.napaneeguide.com/ArticleD...aspx?e=2906299

Old
12-29-2010, 10:01 PM
billycanuck

Quote:
Called it. Just announced team is moving to Cape Cod. Being called the Cape Cod Barons.

http://www.prohockeynews.com/hockey/...Cape_Cod.shtml

Old
12-30-2010, 03:14 PM
Professor Pickles

That's seriously one of my favorite all-time logos.

Old
01-18-2011, 11:28 PM
arlingtonway

Looks like the league is looking to expand

from the Cape Cod Times HERE

"Kirnan said the league plans to expand in the near future, noting that a team is likely headed for Vermont beginning next season, as well as three other destinations to be announced shortly."

Old
01-19-2011, 06:40 AM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlingtonway View Post
Looks like the league is looking to expand

from the Cape Cod Times HERE

"Kirnan said the league plans to expand in the near future, noting that a team is likely headed for Vermont beginning next season, as well as three other destinations to be announced shortly."
Vermont is an interesting choice. No doubt it is a hockey state, loved living in Vermont and will probably end up living there again someday, but a minor pro team there? The league played an exhibition game at the Green Mountain Arena in Morrisville, but that rink can only hold 300 max.

Burlington is a nice sized city, but with the University of Vermont, Saint Michael's College, and the Green Mountain Glades (EJHL) I can't see them surviving trying to compete for fans with them. Rink choices here would be Leddy Park (Glades home ice, capacity around 1,000 - 1,100) or Essex Skating Facility (capacity around 1,200).

Barre would be another choice, but again the rink is too small. There is also a pro-basketball team there so they would compete for some fans.

Next choices would be the rinks at Norwich and Middlebury, but those are small college towns and fans flock to those teams with support that some NCAA division 1 teams dream of having.

That leaves the option of having a travelling pro team. Playing in different cities but calling Vermont 'home'.

Will be interesting to see where the FHL wants to expand.

I like this quote in the article:
Quote:
Kirnan said. "We try to stay away from being right next to an NHL or AHL team, and if there's a major college team we don't want to be on top of that either. A great situation for us is 30-60 miles from a major team, and Cape Cod fits that perfectly."
Hmmm, I wonder if he meant to say "We are NOW trying to stay away from being right next to an NHL or AHL team..." Barons first location, not the brightest idea.

Old
01-21-2011, 07:44 AM
billycanuck

More talk of Napanee expansion.

Article in the Napanee Guide yesterday stating the FHL is very interested in putting a team there DESPITE the arena seats 1,000, max. Not the 1,500 Comish Don wants.

http://www.napaneeguide.com/ArticleD...aspx?e=2938618
Quote:
Richards said the league's business model is based on trying to sell roughly 1,000 tickets per game for about $10 each. According to box scores on the league's website, most teams aren't doing that yet. A game last Saturday night in Brockville drew 411 fans and a Sunday game in Alexandria Bay drew 343. The Danbury team, however, consistently draws over 1,000 fans.
Quote:
The maximum weekly salary cap for an entire team is $5,350 per week.
The NPHL proposed salary cap is $4,000.

Old
01-23-2011, 03:28 PM
billycanuck

Game in Cornwall, Ont.

Akwesasne Warriors hosted the Danbury Whalers this weekend in Cornwall, Ontario and drew an announced crowd of 1,435.

The Warriors beat the Whalers 5-1. Whalers only had 11 players dressed for the game because of some players 'missing their documents' to cross the border (namely Canadian players).

Funny Quote:
Quote:
"They were a bit jittery, playing in front of so many people. I just found it sloppy, but the bottom line is we got the (win).'' - Warriors head coach Angelo Sanseverino
Are these professional hockey players or peewee players? 'Jittery' in front of 1435 people?!

Old
02-09-2011, 09:21 AM
billycanuck

Rome Frenzy Fold

Not good news for the FHL. The Rome Frenzy have ceased operations for the remainder of the season. Not enough money to finish the season for them.
http://www.newstimes.com/news/articl...or-1004286.php

No word on how the schedule will be completed. Not really surprised on this. The league is doing terrible marketing and the website is poorly run. Novelty has definitely worn off, except for the Whalers.

Old
02-09-2011, 02:15 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2011/02/09/f...medium=twitter

Nice feature on FHL player Jesse Felten, from a family of 25 (18 adopted)

Old
02-10-2011, 07:50 AM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
http://nhl.fanhouse.com/2011/02/09/f...medium=twitter

Nice feature on FHL player Jesse Felten, from a family of 25 (18 adopted)
Amazing story! he has played three seasons with the Aces/Aviators club; each season in a different league. EPHL, NEPHL, and now the FHL. Wonder what league they will join next.

Old
02-12-2011, 10:13 PM
billycanuck

FHL Expansion

Well, the FHL is planning to hold a press conference sometime in the next few weeks to announce it has two teams ready to join the FHL next season.

The locations of the two teams are going to be in Illinois and northern Vermont.

Vermont strikes me as curious because the rinks that are large enough for the FHL's plan are located on Norwich University's campus, Middlebury's Campus, University of Vermont's campus, and a rink in Essex Junction which is right in Burlington.

Is it smart putting a professional team in a market that is full of hockey? I wouldn't be surprised if the team moves into the rink in Essex Junction. If team is placed anywhere else they are just dreaming that a team would survive in another small town with a small rink. But will it survive going head to head with the University of Vermont?

Old
02-13-2011, 10:57 AM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

I find it interesting that they want to put a team in Northern Illinois. This league is going to be too spread out. I have watched a few games now, and the product is ok. I always found it surprising that they would take a team and place it in Akwesasne with all of the border issues, but they avoided Cornwall which has a fanbase that suits this type of league.

Old
02-13-2011, 01:11 PM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwall OHL View Post
I find it interesting that they want to put a team in Northern Illinois. This league is going to be too spread out. I have watched a few games now, and the product is ok. I always found it surprising that they would take a team and place it in Akwesasne with all of the border issues, but they avoided Cornwall which has a fanbase that suits this type of league.
I think the league is going to try to expand into Canadian market next season. I am also surprised about the Illinois move. Where will they put a team?

Old
02-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Cornwall OHL
That's my O face.

Schaumburg?

They should go after markets to the East, New Hampshire?

Old
02-14-2011, 07:40 AM
billycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornwall OHL View Post
Schaumburg?

They should go after markets to the East, New Hampshire?
Good point, I always thought the Icenter in Salem, New Hampshire could field a team with its decent sized rink. I believe capacity is around 1200. Photo of The Icenter below.There is also seating behind the net.

The NEPHL was going to have a team here in Salem but the league folded before it started, except for the NY Aviators and Rhode Island Storm.

Closed Thread