HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2010, 05:09 PM
piper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkd88 View Post
It always seems odd that playing hockey unleashes the sociopath in players and at times, that includes me. I have never attacked any player or done things to hurt players but I become very agitatorish and sometimes I am not happy with it.

I am old now (45) and don't play due to injuries and my anxiety problems but I hope maybe to get back in shape and try again.
It's not just hockey, trust me. I'm 44 and play soccer in what is supposed to be a rec 'just for fun' women's league made up of 'ladies' mostly my age. I can't tell you how many times I've been pushed to the ground and roughed up. Thankfully we have good refs who call penalties, but it always amazes me how some people take rec league sports WAY too seriously.

I'm going to play amateur psychologist for a moment and guess that maybe they had no talent for sports in their younger days and are taking out their frustrations now, or maybe they're trying to relive whatever glory they once had. But once you're out of college, if you haven't made the big time you never will, so give it a rest!

Old
12-21-2010, 05:55 PM
dabeechman

In no order...

Blind passes
Getting chewed out by the worst player on the team for not passing on a 2 on 1.
Refs missing obvious trips/hooks/slashes/etc and off side calls.
Dmen who pinch senselessly
People who take jabs at you then ***** when you give it back to them.

Old
12-21-2010, 11:48 PM
berzark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
i play really well when i play pick up or when i play against the kids i coach but when game time comes, i play like **** and lose all fundamentals i have. the thing is pick up games are usually against the same people i play against in my league. i guess cause some guys on my team are really intense and i dont want to turn the puck over and give up a break away but when i play pick up i dont really care and i play so much better and with confidence
Same thing here.. In pickup I play against same level sometimes, maybe even better yet I'm dominant.. But with my team, yikes !

Old
12-21-2010, 11:52 PM
RobertKron

As a D-man, whenever the forward delays up, and I look up to see that our winger, who should be jumping into the gap to hurry him, is still at their blue line, standing straight up and down and coasting.

Old
12-22-2010, 12:18 AM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
As a D-man, whenever the forward delays up, and I look up to see that our winger, who should be jumping into the gap to hurry him, is still at their blue line, standing straight up and down and coasting.
You mean your forwards not backchecking? Welcome to Beer League Hockey. Where most forwards strategy for transition defense includes the standard "We'll just let the D deal with the 3 on 2 for a little while, I'll help them out after I'm done coasting my way back to the D zone. But hey, years and years of that have helped me become great at getting my stick in passing lanes. Thanks forwards!

Old
12-22-2010, 12:55 AM
The Spicy Shrimp

My venting just has to do with the fact that I suck. Playing D and having teams regularly put up 5 goals is not conducive to building confidence.

Old
12-22-2010, 01:54 AM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper View Post
It's not just hockey, trust me. I'm 44 and play soccer in what is supposed to be a rec 'just for fun' women's league made up of 'ladies' mostly my age. I can't tell you how many times I've been pushed to the ground and roughed up. Thankfully we have good refs who call penalties, but it always amazes me how some people take rec league sports WAY too seriously.

I'm going to play amateur psychologist for a moment and guess that maybe they had no talent for sports in their younger days and are taking out their frustrations now, or maybe they're trying to relive whatever glory they once had. But once you're out of college, if you haven't made the big time you never will, so give it a rest!
In my old rec league we had a guy who was 6'4" probably about 220-230lbs and mean as ****, who got a tryout with the Calgary Hitmen but turned it down because he was going to make a ton of money fishing...now he takes out the frustrations of a dumb decision on the rest of the players in the league...this guy makes Chris Pronger look like a sweet natured, gap toothed kid. So one time after taking a beating of crosschecks in front of the net (no contact league) by this meathead I caught him with his head down and hammered him out (as much as a 195lb guy could do to this monster), he gets up and wants to fight me...I get a penalty for hitting him (none for any of his crosschecks)and the ref calls me an idiot for provoking him and tells me he gonna kill me. Great league, glad i left.

Old
12-22-2010, 04:27 AM
Frankie Spankie

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spicy Shrimp View Post
My venting just has to do with the fact that I suck. Playing D and having teams regularly put up 5 goals is not conducive to building confidence.
It's beer league hockey, having only 5 goals against on average isn't even bad.

Old
12-22-2010, 05:10 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I get a penalty for hitting him (none for any of his crosschecks)and the ref calls me an idiot for provoking him and tells me he gonna kill me. Great league, glad i left.
Well......lol,

Last time I called someone an idiot for not listening, the kid got 50+ stitches after a fight that he provoked...

Not saying you did.....and it was a completely different situation where the guy was told numerous times to knock it off he was going to get hurt....

Old
12-23-2010, 01:00 AM
HockeyTalkey

Hahaha.... All this stuff is just classic. I am sure we all can relate to many of the comments. I know in my league or pick-ups, there is at least one classic Beer League moment every night. Just makes you laugh, shake your head and realize why we love this game.

Old
12-23-2010, 01:04 AM
sjmay*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTalkey View Post
Hahaha.... All this stuff is just classic. I am sure we all can relate to many of the comments. I know in my league or pick-ups, there is at least one classic Beer League moment every night. Just makes you laugh, shake your head and realize why we love this game.
Had one the other night,

Lining up for a faceoff, winger behinds me asks his counterpart if that was their regular goaltender,

His answer: Sometimes.

Me and both centermen had to take a minute.

Old
12-23-2010, 01:05 AM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

I hate when your team forgets how to play hockey during the breaks between seasons.

Old
12-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
In my old rec league we had a guy who was 6'4" probably about 220-230lbs and mean as ****, who got a tryout with the Calgary Hitmen but turned it down because he was going to make a ton of money fishing...now he takes out the frustrations of a dumb decision on the rest of the players in the league...this guy makes Chris Pronger look like a sweet natured, gap toothed kid. So one time after taking a beating of crosschecks in front of the net (no contact league) by this meathead I caught him with his head down and hammered him out (as much as a 195lb guy could do to this monster), he gets up and wants to fight me...I get a penalty for hitting him (none for any of his crosschecks)and the ref calls me an idiot for provoking him and tells me he gonna kill me. Great league, glad i left.
Yeah,good thing you did. Sounds like a horrible league to play in.

Old
12-23-2010, 07:56 AM
Frankie Spankie

Serious anger management issues on one of the guys on my team. I was skating down the boards with the puck and got to the corner with two defenders closing in on me. I tried passing to the guy crashing the net and the pass gets picked off. They end up bringing the puck down and scoring a few seconds later. I can hear the guy yelling at me from the bench, "Nice going! You'll get the assist on that pass!" blah blah blah.

Late in the game, when we're tied, he does the same thing. Two defenders closing in on him and his pass gets picked off. They skate down quick and beats the defender. Guy who loses the puck yells, "You ****ing suck!" to the defenseman that was just beat. Then they score the game winning goal late in the game on the same play, "WTF goalie you suck!!"

I would've yelled at him that he got the assist on the play if I wasn't seriously concerned that he would come over and break his stick over my head... He already has broken other people's sticks in the league just because they legally stick check him and will fight people in a non-contact league. I'm surprised he hasn't broken other people's bones yet.

Old
12-23-2010, 08:27 AM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

My team is third in a league of 5 with 5-5-1 record. The team that is 4-6-1 has 3 of their 4 wins against us. Ugh, we just can't seem to beat them.

Old
12-23-2010, 08:59 AM
Cowbell232

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
My team is third in a league of 5 with 5-5-1 record. The team that is 4-6-1 has 3 of their 4 wins against us. Ugh, we just can't seem to beat them.
What league are you playing in? IIRC, you don't play very far from me. Wondering if we can meet up at some point and investigate some new leagues/teams to play for...

Old
12-23-2010, 09:38 AM
Duffman

Not really a vent but a funny story.

At my last game I made what i thought was a routine glove save on a particularly heavy shot in the first period. It left my hand stinging (didn't catch the puck in the webbing)but I thought nothing of it. By the third period my hand was still sore, but I shruged it off as the guy just having a hard shot and that a couple beers would make it all better.

At the bar I was rubbing my hand and noticed that my wedding ring wasn't spinning on my finger. Figuring my hand was swollen I pulled as hard as I could on my wedding band to get it off and set it down on the table. Thats when I noticed that my ring was destroyed. The shot had flattened the one side of my ring (I'll try to post a picture later). Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Needless to say my wife just rolled her eyes and was only slightly annoyed when I said I'd just toss the ring in my night stand until I felt like taking it to a jewler to get fixed.

Old
12-23-2010, 09:56 AM
WickedWrister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
Needless to say my wife just rolled her eyes and was only slightly annoyed when I said I'd just toss the ring in my night stand until I felt like taking it to a jewler to get fixed.
Haha cmon man, you should know better than that! But I can't say that I've had situation happen to me or anybody else I know. I'm not married so I don't wear a ring but a couple of guys on my team wear rings when they're playing and they aren't worried about it. Not goalies though. One of our tough guys wears his graduation ring and when he get's into fights

Old
12-23-2010, 10:00 AM
Nbr-17

Quote:

At my last game I made what i thought was a routine glove save on a particularly heavy shot in the first period. It left my hand stinging (didn't catch the puck in the webbing)but I thought nothing of it. By the third period my hand was still sore, but I shruged it off as the guy just having a hard shot and that a couple beers would make it all better.

At the bar I was rubbing my hand and noticed that my wedding ring wasn't spinning on my finger. Figuring my hand was swollen I pulled as hard as I could on my wedding band to get it off and set it down on the table. Thats when I noticed that my ring was destroyed. The shot had flattened the one side of my ring (I'll try to post a picture later). Has anyone else ever had this happen?

That's why I take mine off before a game.

Old
12-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Duffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
That's why I take mine off before a game.
I always intend to take mine off. Since I don't like leaving it in the locker room, when I actually remember to take it off I lock it in my truck's glove compartment. I was about 50-50 on remembering to take it off before getting out of the truck. From here on out I'm sure Ill remember everytime. That is when I finally get it fixed and can wear it again.

Old
12-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Pog Form

Quote:

Not 100% sure if the story behind it was real, so take it for what it's worth, but I was once shown a set of pictures of a guy whose finger was pretty much ripped open right down to the bone all the way around the finger from some sort of accident playing hockey with his wedding ring on. Again, don't know FOR SURE if it was caused by hockey, but it scared me enough to never get married lol.

Old
12-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Nbr-17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
Not 100% sure if the story behind it was real, so take it for what it's worth, but I was once shown a set of pictures of a guy whose finger was pretty much ripped open right down to the bone all the way around the finger from some sort of accident playing hockey with his wedding ring on. Again, don't know FOR SURE if it was caused by hockey, but it scared me enough to never get married lol.
You do realize that a wedding band (or any other) can be removed before a game

Old
12-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Nbr-17

Quote:
I always intend to take mine off. Since I don't like leaving it in the locker room, when I actually remember to take it off I lock it in my truck's glove compartment. I was about 50-50 on remembering to take it off before getting out of the truck. From here on out I'm sure Ill remember everytime. That is when I finally get it fixed and can wear it again.
FWIW I take mine off before I even leave the house LOL

Old
12-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

After reading some horror stories on Mod Squad about wedding rings, I'll take mine off when I get one, probably because I'd get a titanium band and those require special cutters to remove (or else you get the finger cut off).

Old
12-24-2010, 11:14 PM
HopelessOilFan

Not exactly beer league, but i play every few days at one outdoor rink around town.

I went one day, and there was a guy clearly better than everyone there, mostly kids (13 and under) and a few of me and my buddies who have never played organized hockey, just 3 seasons on the out door ice. Needless to say we weren't even close to his level.

So we threw our sticks in and this guy ends up on a team with my friend and some of the kids. He never passed, deked through kids on his own team, and just insisted on making everyone look stupid.

He got around me, missed the shot and as i was going off to switch, he came by and put it through my legs while i wasnt facing him and started chirping me.

Eventually we all got fed up and stopped playing with him. So a dad and his son come out, the son wearing like, road hockey goalie gear but wants us to shoot on him, so we all gently shoot and keep it low and are having fun.

The guy who insisted on showing everyone up, then comes out and hammers a shot top shelf on the kid, and started chirping the 12 year old in net.

I absolutely lost it. Next move he tried around me, i knocked him on his ass. He kept his head down and all times so i hit him in the chest, and he fell flat on his ass. After this he starts slashing me, tripping me, and just abusing me in general on the ice.

I want to preface this part with saying that i'm not a mean guy, i'm really shy and quiet and have never been into a fight, im always the kind to talk this stuff out.

So i threw my gloves down and challenged him to a fight after he made one of the kids cry because the kid hadn't touched the puck all night being on his team.

The kid blew me off like he didnt want to fight, so i told him to quit being a dumbass and we would be fine, then as i skated away he shoved me from behind down to the ice.

I got up, and as he was laughing in my face, fed him my fist.

I have never felt so good about putting someone in their place.

He ended up trying to get up and falling flat on his face before his friends came and forced him to come off the ice. I'm not sure if it was my punch or the ice, but there was blood pouring out of his nose.

Sorry for the essay like response, i just figured people here would understand where i was coming from.

Closed Thread