HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Beer League Frustrations Vent Thread.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-21-2010, 05:09 PM
  #101
piper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 8
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkd88 View Post
It always seems odd that playing hockey unleashes the sociopath in players and at times, that includes me. I have never attacked any player or done things to hurt players but I become very agitatorish and sometimes I am not happy with it.

I am old now (45) and don't play due to injuries and my anxiety problems but I hope maybe to get back in shape and try again.
It's not just hockey, trust me. I'm 44 and play soccer in what is supposed to be a rec 'just for fun' women's league made up of 'ladies' mostly my age. I can't tell you how many times I've been pushed to the ground and roughed up. Thankfully we have good refs who call penalties, but it always amazes me how some people take rec league sports WAY too seriously.

I'm going to play amateur psychologist for a moment and guess that maybe they had no talent for sports in their younger days and are taking out their frustrations now, or maybe they're trying to relive whatever glory they once had. But once you're out of college, if you haven't made the big time you never will, so give it a rest!

piper is offline  
Old
12-21-2010, 05:55 PM
  #102
dabeechman
Registered User
 
dabeechman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,749
vCash: 500
In no order...

Blind passes
Getting chewed out by the worst player on the team for not passing on a 2 on 1.
Refs missing obvious trips/hooks/slashes/etc and off side calls.
Dmen who pinch senselessly
People who take jabs at you then ***** when you give it back to them.

dabeechman is offline  
Old
12-21-2010, 11:48 PM
  #103
berzark
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
i play really well when i play pick up or when i play against the kids i coach but when game time comes, i play like **** and lose all fundamentals i have. the thing is pick up games are usually against the same people i play against in my league. i guess cause some guys on my team are really intense and i dont want to turn the puck over and give up a break away but when i play pick up i dont really care and i play so much better and with confidence
Same thing here.. In pickup I play against same level sometimes, maybe even better yet I'm dominant.. But with my team, yikes !

berzark is offline  
Old
12-21-2010, 11:52 PM
  #104
RobertKron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,615
vCash: 500
As a D-man, whenever the forward delays up, and I look up to see that our winger, who should be jumping into the gap to hurry him, is still at their blue line, standing straight up and down and coasting.

RobertKron is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 12:18 AM
  #105
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MW View Post
As a D-man, whenever the forward delays up, and I look up to see that our winger, who should be jumping into the gap to hurry him, is still at their blue line, standing straight up and down and coasting.
You mean your forwards not backchecking? Welcome to Beer League Hockey. Where most forwards strategy for transition defense includes the standard "We'll just let the D deal with the 3 on 2 for a little while, I'll help them out after I'm done coasting my way back to the D zone. But hey, years and years of that have helped me become great at getting my stick in passing lanes. Thanks forwards!

predfan24 is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 12:55 AM
  #106
The Spicy Shrimp
Registered User
 
The Spicy Shrimp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 87
vCash: 500
My venting just has to do with the fact that I suck. Playing D and having teams regularly put up 5 goals is not conducive to building confidence.

The Spicy Shrimp is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 01:54 AM
  #107
Canucker
Registered User
 
Canucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Prince Rupert, BC
Posts: 18,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piper View Post
It's not just hockey, trust me. I'm 44 and play soccer in what is supposed to be a rec 'just for fun' women's league made up of 'ladies' mostly my age. I can't tell you how many times I've been pushed to the ground and roughed up. Thankfully we have good refs who call penalties, but it always amazes me how some people take rec league sports WAY too seriously.

I'm going to play amateur psychologist for a moment and guess that maybe they had no talent for sports in their younger days and are taking out their frustrations now, or maybe they're trying to relive whatever glory they once had. But once you're out of college, if you haven't made the big time you never will, so give it a rest!
In my old rec league we had a guy who was 6'4" probably about 220-230lbs and mean as ****, who got a tryout with the Calgary Hitmen but turned it down because he was going to make a ton of money fishing...now he takes out the frustrations of a dumb decision on the rest of the players in the league...this guy makes Chris Pronger look like a sweet natured, gap toothed kid. So one time after taking a beating of crosschecks in front of the net (no contact league) by this meathead I caught him with his head down and hammered him out (as much as a 195lb guy could do to this monster), he gets up and wants to fight me...I get a penalty for hitting him (none for any of his crosschecks)and the ref calls me an idiot for provoking him and tells me he gonna kill me. Great league, glad i left.

Canucker is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 04:27 AM
  #108
Frankie Spankie
Registered User
 
Frankie Spankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,330
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spicy Shrimp View Post
My venting just has to do with the fact that I suck. Playing D and having teams regularly put up 5 goals is not conducive to building confidence.
It's beer league hockey, having only 5 goals against on average isn't even bad.

Frankie Spankie is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 05:10 AM
  #109
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I get a penalty for hitting him (none for any of his crosschecks)and the ref calls me an idiot for provoking him and tells me he gonna kill me. Great league, glad i left.
Well......lol,

Last time I called someone an idiot for not listening, the kid got 50+ stitches after a fight that he provoked...

Not saying you did.....and it was a completely different situation where the guy was told numerous times to knock it off he was going to get hurt....

sjmay* is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 01:00 AM
  #110
HockeyTalkey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Hahaha.... All this stuff is just classic. I am sure we all can relate to many of the comments. I know in my league or pick-ups, there is at least one classic Beer League moment every night. Just makes you laugh, shake your head and realize why we love this game.

HockeyTalkey is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 01:04 AM
  #111
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyTalkey View Post
Hahaha.... All this stuff is just classic. I am sure we all can relate to many of the comments. I know in my league or pick-ups, there is at least one classic Beer League moment every night. Just makes you laugh, shake your head and realize why we love this game.
Had one the other night,

Lining up for a faceoff, winger behinds me asks his counterpart if that was their regular goaltender,

His answer: Sometimes.

Me and both centermen had to take a minute.

sjmay* is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 01:05 AM
  #112
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY
 
1Knee1T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,184
vCash: 500
I hate when your team forgets how to play hockey during the breaks between seasons.

1Knee1T is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 01:17 AM
  #113
Daryl
Registered User
 
Daryl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
In my old rec league we had a guy who was 6'4" probably about 220-230lbs and mean as ****, who got a tryout with the Calgary Hitmen but turned it down because he was going to make a ton of money fishing...now he takes out the frustrations of a dumb decision on the rest of the players in the league...this guy makes Chris Pronger look like a sweet natured, gap toothed kid. So one time after taking a beating of crosschecks in front of the net (no contact league) by this meathead I caught him with his head down and hammered him out (as much as a 195lb guy could do to this monster), he gets up and wants to fight me...I get a penalty for hitting him (none for any of his crosschecks)and the ref calls me an idiot for provoking him and tells me he gonna kill me. Great league, glad i left.
Yeah,good thing you did. Sounds like a horrible league to play in.

Daryl is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 07:56 AM
  #114
Frankie Spankie
Registered User
 
Frankie Spankie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Dorchester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 10,330
vCash: 500
Serious anger management issues on one of the guys on my team. I was skating down the boards with the puck and got to the corner with two defenders closing in on me. I tried passing to the guy crashing the net and the pass gets picked off. They end up bringing the puck down and scoring a few seconds later. I can hear the guy yelling at me from the bench, "Nice going! You'll get the assist on that pass!" blah blah blah.

Late in the game, when we're tied, he does the same thing. Two defenders closing in on him and his pass gets picked off. They skate down quick and beats the defender. Guy who loses the puck yells, "You ****ing suck!" to the defenseman that was just beat. Then they score the game winning goal late in the game on the same play, "WTF goalie you suck!!"

I would've yelled at him that he got the assist on the play if I wasn't seriously concerned that he would come over and break his stick over my head... He already has broken other people's sticks in the league just because they legally stick check him and will fight people in a non-contact league. I'm surprised he hasn't broken other people's bones yet.

Frankie Spankie is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 08:27 AM
  #115
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American
 
JLHockeyKnight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: North Central Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,438
vCash: 500
My team is third in a league of 5 with 5-5-1 record. The team that is 4-6-1 has 3 of their 4 wins against us. Ugh, we just can't seem to beat them.

JLHockeyKnight is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 08:59 AM
  #116
Cowbell232
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 19,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHockeyKnight View Post
My team is third in a league of 5 with 5-5-1 record. The team that is 4-6-1 has 3 of their 4 wins against us. Ugh, we just can't seem to beat them.
What league are you playing in? IIRC, you don't play very far from me. Wondering if we can meet up at some point and investigate some new leagues/teams to play for...

__________________
"Why I'll be a Devil forever [...] two words. Trust and respect." - Mr. Pat Burns
"I learned not to question Cowbell's willingness to ban." - Brian Boyle
Cowbell232 is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 09:38 AM
  #117
Duffman
Registered User
 
Duffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Not really a vent but a funny story.

At my last game I made what i thought was a routine glove save on a particularly heavy shot in the first period. It left my hand stinging (didn't catch the puck in the webbing)but I thought nothing of it. By the third period my hand was still sore, but I shruged it off as the guy just having a hard shot and that a couple beers would make it all better.

At the bar I was rubbing my hand and noticed that my wedding ring wasn't spinning on my finger. Figuring my hand was swollen I pulled as hard as I could on my wedding band to get it off and set it down on the table. Thats when I noticed that my ring was destroyed. The shot had flattened the one side of my ring (I'll try to post a picture later). Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Needless to say my wife just rolled her eyes and was only slightly annoyed when I said I'd just toss the ring in my night stand until I felt like taking it to a jewler to get fixed.

Duffman is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 09:56 AM
  #118
WickedWrister
Registered User
 
WickedWrister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 4,789
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
Needless to say my wife just rolled her eyes and was only slightly annoyed when I said I'd just toss the ring in my night stand until I felt like taking it to a jewler to get fixed.
Haha cmon man, you should know better than that! But I can't say that I've had situation happen to me or anybody else I know. I'm not married so I don't wear a ring but a couple of guys on my team wear rings when they're playing and they aren't worried about it. Not goalies though. One of our tough guys wears his graduation ring and when he get's into fights

WickedWrister is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 10:00 AM
  #119
Nbr-17
Registered User
 
Nbr-17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Stouffville, ON
Country: Germany
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
Not really a vent but a funny story.

At my last game I made what i thought was a routine glove save on a particularly heavy shot in the first period. It left my hand stinging (didn't catch the puck in the webbing)but I thought nothing of it. By the third period my hand was still sore, but I shruged it off as the guy just having a hard shot and that a couple beers would make it all better.

At the bar I was rubbing my hand and noticed that my wedding ring wasn't spinning on my finger. Figuring my hand was swollen I pulled as hard as I could on my wedding band to get it off and set it down on the table. Thats when I noticed that my ring was destroyed. The shot had flattened the one side of my ring (I'll try to post a picture later). Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Needless to say my wife just rolled her eyes and was only slightly annoyed when I said I'd just toss the ring in my night stand until I felt like taking it to a jewler to get fixed.
That's why I take mine off before a game.

Nbr-17 is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 10:42 AM
  #120
Duffman
Registered User
 
Duffman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 918
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
That's why I take mine off before a game.
I always intend to take mine off. Since I don't like leaving it in the locker room, when I actually remember to take it off I lock it in my truck's glove compartment. I was about 50-50 on remembering to take it off before getting out of the truck. From here on out I'm sure Ill remember everytime. That is when I finally get it fixed and can wear it again.

Duffman is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 11:46 AM
  #121
Pog Form
Registered User
 
Pog Form's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
Not really a vent but a funny story.

At my last game I made what i thought was a routine glove save on a particularly heavy shot in the first period. It left my hand stinging (didn't catch the puck in the webbing)but I thought nothing of it. By the third period my hand was still sore, but I shruged it off as the guy just having a hard shot and that a couple beers would make it all better.

At the bar I was rubbing my hand and noticed that my wedding ring wasn't spinning on my finger. Figuring my hand was swollen I pulled as hard as I could on my wedding band to get it off and set it down on the table. Thats when I noticed that my ring was destroyed. The shot had flattened the one side of my ring (I'll try to post a picture later). Has anyone else ever had this happen?

Needless to say my wife just rolled her eyes and was only slightly annoyed when I said I'd just toss the ring in my night stand until I felt like taking it to a jewler to get fixed.
Not 100% sure if the story behind it was real, so take it for what it's worth, but I was once shown a set of pictures of a guy whose finger was pretty much ripped open right down to the bone all the way around the finger from some sort of accident playing hockey with his wedding ring on. Again, don't know FOR SURE if it was caused by hockey, but it scared me enough to never get married lol.

Pog Form is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 12:17 PM
  #122
Nbr-17
Registered User
 
Nbr-17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Stouffville, ON
Country: Germany
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
Not 100% sure if the story behind it was real, so take it for what it's worth, but I was once shown a set of pictures of a guy whose finger was pretty much ripped open right down to the bone all the way around the finger from some sort of accident playing hockey with his wedding ring on. Again, don't know FOR SURE if it was caused by hockey, but it scared me enough to never get married lol.
You do realize that a wedding band (or any other) can be removed before a game

Nbr-17 is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 12:18 PM
  #123
Nbr-17
Registered User
 
Nbr-17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Stouffville, ON
Country: Germany
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman View Post
I always intend to take mine off. Since I don't like leaving it in the locker room, when I actually remember to take it off I lock it in my truck's glove compartment. I was about 50-50 on remembering to take it off before getting out of the truck. From here on out I'm sure Ill remember everytime. That is when I finally get it fixed and can wear it again.
FWIW I take mine off before I even leave the house LOL

Nbr-17 is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 12:47 PM
  #124
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,676
vCash: 500
After reading some horror stories on Mod Squad about wedding rings, I'll take mine off when I get one, probably because I'd get a titanium band and those require special cutters to remove (or else you get the finger cut off).

Jarick is online now  
Old
12-24-2010, 11:14 PM
  #125
HopelessOilFan
Registered User
 
HopelessOilFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,286
vCash: 500
Not exactly beer league, but i play every few days at one outdoor rink around town.

I went one day, and there was a guy clearly better than everyone there, mostly kids (13 and under) and a few of me and my buddies who have never played organized hockey, just 3 seasons on the out door ice. Needless to say we weren't even close to his level.

So we threw our sticks in and this guy ends up on a team with my friend and some of the kids. He never passed, deked through kids on his own team, and just insisted on making everyone look stupid.

He got around me, missed the shot and as i was going off to switch, he came by and put it through my legs while i wasnt facing him and started chirping me.

Eventually we all got fed up and stopped playing with him. So a dad and his son come out, the son wearing like, road hockey goalie gear but wants us to shoot on him, so we all gently shoot and keep it low and are having fun.

The guy who insisted on showing everyone up, then comes out and hammers a shot top shelf on the kid, and started chirping the 12 year old in net.

I absolutely lost it. Next move he tried around me, i knocked him on his ass. He kept his head down and all times so i hit him in the chest, and he fell flat on his ass. After this he starts slashing me, tripping me, and just abusing me in general on the ice.

I want to preface this part with saying that i'm not a mean guy, i'm really shy and quiet and have never been into a fight, im always the kind to talk this stuff out.

So i threw my gloves down and challenged him to a fight after he made one of the kids cry because the kid hadn't touched the puck all night being on his team.

The kid blew me off like he didnt want to fight, so i told him to quit being a dumbass and we would be fine, then as i skated away he shoved me from behind down to the ice.

I got up, and as he was laughing in my face, fed him my fist.

I have never felt so good about putting someone in their place.

He ended up trying to get up and falling flat on his face before his friends came and forced him to come off the ice. I'm not sure if it was my punch or the ice, but there was blood pouring out of his nose.

Sorry for the essay like response, i just figured people here would understand where i was coming from.

HopelessOilFan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.