HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill IX

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2010, 03:50 PM
scramble91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
i don't believe anyone has actually said for sure. Pretty sure its his knee.
I read somehwere that he was seen with a large brace on his knee over his clothes. I just cant remember where i read it ..lol

Could be a nasty sprain...cuz if it was anything else, he probably would have went back for surgery.

Old
12-22-2010, 03:50 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
nothelen tweeted that Mitchell had a knee brace on, so it must be his shoulder.

Old
12-22-2010, 03:53 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
nothelen tweeted that Mitchell had a knee brace on, so it must be his shoulder.

Old
12-22-2010, 04:01 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Teams tend to add depth at the deadline, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the Kings add another NHL vet to their blueline in place of a less experienced player.

You look at the trade deadline of last season and see how many teams went after veteran defensemen:
  • Sharks acquired Wallin from Carolina for a 2nd
  • Flames acquired Staios from Edmonton for Aaron Johnson and a 3rd
  • Canucks acquired Alberts from Carolina for a 3rd
  • Capitals acquired Jurcina from Columbus for a 6th
  • Coyotes acquired Schneider from Vancouver for Sean Zimmerman and a 6th
  • Ducks acquired Ward from Carolina for Pogge and a 4th
  • Devils acquired Skoula from Toronto for a 5th
  • Coyotes acquired Morris from Boston for a conditional pick
  • Blackhawks acquired Boynton from Anaheim for future considerations
  • Senators acquired Sutton from NY Islanders for a 2nd
  • Predators acquired Grebeshkov from Edmonton for a 2nd
  • Penguins acquired Leopold from Florida for a 2nd

The Kings have enough depth to move a player like Drewiske for a short term solution.

Old
12-22-2010, 04:29 PM
Cook24

Send a message via AIM to Cook24
If DL does go after a veteran defenseman soon or at the trade deadline, it'll be for someone who's contract will be up this summer. We have too many young defenseman who will be ready soon to add someone with multiple years left on a deal. Hickey, Voynov, or Muzzin will all be ready for a spot come the start of next season.

Old
12-22-2010, 05:25 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Some temporary solutions that may become available who have expiring contracts:

Jan Hejda (CBJ), solid stay-at-home defenseman

Jim Vandermeer (EDM), physical defender who can provide some toughness

Bryan McCabe (FLA), although mainly considered an offensive defenseman, McCabe is also regarded as a dependable team player who can provide leadership

Shane O'Brien (NSH), another physical player who will stand up for his teammates and clean up in front of the net

Milan Jurcina (NYI), big defensive dman with a long wingspan who can block shots

James Wisniewski (NYI), he is my personal favorite dman who may become available at the deadline. A hard-nosed dman who can also chip in offensively. What is there not to like?

Chris Phillips (OTT), if the Sens are on the outside looking in, Bryan Murray will likely move this veteran leader. He'd be another steady presence on the blueline much like Scuderi.

Eric Brewer (STL), he is finally healthy and playing and in the final year of his contract. The mobile blueliner showed tons of promise early in his career, representing Canada in the Olympics while he was a member of the Oilers.

Tomas Kaberle (TOR), his reluctance to waive his no-trade clause makes it difficult for Brian Burke to move him, but who knows if he might change his mind and reconsider closer to the deadline. If he decides to waive his clause, Kaberle will be the most coveted dman on the market. He's a smooth player who makes everything looks easy, much like the way Sergei Zubov played

Joni Pitkanen (CAR), finesse defenseman who could help the PP unit and transition game for the Kings, but I think the team would be better served acquiring a steadier and more physical player for a playoff run

Ian White (CAR), another smooth skating offensive dman who broke out last season. He is still fairly young and can still improve in his overall game

Craig Rivet (BUF), he's a player I'm quite fond of, he was a great pickup by SJ a few years back and I think he's the exact type of player the Kings could use

Steve Montador (BUF), he's been a bit of a late bloomer, coming into the league as a tough guy who would be used on the fourth line or as a 7th dman, but he's turned into a regular roster player that can drop the gloves and also chip in with some points

Anton Babchuk (CGY), has a booming slapshot, but is prone to mental lapses

Steve Staios (CGY), the 37 year old vet is winding down, not sure if his body can hold up much longer to the physical abuse he is likely to face during a playoff series

Old
12-22-2010, 06:25 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Tomas Kaberle (TOR), his reluctance to waive his no-trade clause makes it difficult for Brian Burke to move him, but who knows if he might change his mind and reconsider closer to the deadline. If he decides to waive his clause, Kaberle will be the most coveted dman on the market. He's a smooth player who makes everything looks easy, much like the way Sergei Zubov played
The problem with this one is that Burke thinks he can get a young top 6 forward for him.

I don't see Burke taking a guy like Drewiske and a pick for Kaberle, someone else will overpay for him.

Old
12-22-2010, 06:42 PM
Johnny Utah

Kaberele is Burke's best assest for some scoring help.

Also, we don't need another offensive guy, we need a stay at home guy. You know your D has problems when Drewiske is your toughest D man with Greene/Mitchell out.

Old
12-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Of that list I think Hejda and Phillips are the best fits for our team.

Old
12-22-2010, 08:04 PM
Primakov!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam1031 View Post
Isn't Carkner the guy that pulled the net off before we (Simmonds?) scored a goal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
I think that was Neil.
No, that was Matt Carkner.

Quote:
With only 44 seconds left, Carkner saved a goal. With Simmonds outside the crease and the puck on his stick, Carkner knocked the net off its pegs. The net was unsecured by the time the puck went in. The Kings had good reason to feel like they were robbed. The non-goal was held up after review and Carkner also escaped without a penalty.
Link

Old
12-22-2010, 08:05 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
No, that was Matt Carkner.

Link
Thanks. Hmm. I wonder where I got Neil from.

Old
12-22-2010, 08:14 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Hejda.

Old
12-22-2010, 09:07 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Teams tend to add depth at the deadline, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the Kings add another NHL vet to their blueline in place of a less experienced player.

You look at the trade deadline of last season and see how many teams went after veteran defensemen:
  • Sharks acquired Wallin from Carolina for a 2nd
  • Flames acquired Staios from Edmonton for Aaron Johnson and a 3rd
  • Canucks acquired Alberts from Carolina for a 3rd
  • Capitals acquired Jurcina from Columbus for a 6th
  • Coyotes acquired Schneider from Vancouver for Sean Zimmerman and a 6th
  • Ducks acquired Ward from Carolina for Pogge and a 4th
  • Devils acquired Skoula from Toronto for a 5th
  • Coyotes acquired Morris from Boston for a conditional pick
  • Blackhawks acquired Boynton from Anaheim for future considerations
  • Senators acquired Sutton from NY Islanders for a 2nd
  • Predators acquired Grebeshkov from Edmonton for a 2nd
  • Penguins acquired Leopold from Florida for a 2nd

The Kings have enough depth to move a player like Drewiske for a short term solution.
I wouldn't touch any of those D with a 10-foot pole....that said this years potential list is a little better, though the chance of the good ones being moved is gonna be slimmer then some has beens or never was from last place teams.

Old
12-22-2010, 09:55 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

If DL is looking to add a D he is doing it in closed quarters. He sure isn't shaking the bushes. Maybe he has a specific player in mind and is dealing with one team and one GM or something.

Of course it would have to be a rental as you know that we won't look to fill any spot on our D for next year without being able to leave at least one spot open.

I wouldn't say that the WM "experiment" isn't working out either. I would say that WM is having a bad run of luck due to injuries but none of them yet have had anything to do with his concussion. The experiment was can WM still be effective and play his style of game after his concussion and the answer is yes.

His other injuries have nothing to do with his concussion so the experiment to date has been a success.

Now is WM a fragile player? So far its an easy yes but I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater jut yet.

Old
12-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Jungle Boy

I would use two of those three: drewiske, voynov (remember that he said if he was not in the nhl after his 1st contract expires he would go back to russia) and Parse to trade for Elias or Langebrunner and a UFA to be dman (even a devil to make things easier).
Don´t like the idea of signing richards when we have schenn an loki ready to fight for that same spot. for the same reason would not bring more than 3 FA fwds (counting handzus, jw, poni, sturm or Langebrunner) to make room for Moller, Lewis... And sign them to short terns contracts. Then in 2012 when the new cba is set and there are some interestings UFA (nash) make the big splash

Last edited by Jungle Boy: 12-23-2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: typo
Old
12-23-2010, 12:43 AM
Jungle Boy

forgot to metion that, IMÓ Toronto will go hard after Richards. They are the youngest team in the league and They are not as bad as They see in the standings. Adding richards would make toronto a playoff team in the same time. burke will make it happen since he has will have a ton of cap space once They deal karbele.

Old
12-23-2010, 11:26 AM
no name

Quote:
Some temporary solutions that may become available who have expiring contracts:

Jan Hejda (CBJ), solid stay-at-home defenseman

Jim Vandermeer (EDM), physical defender who can provide some toughness

Bryan McCabe (FLA), although mainly considered an offensive defenseman, McCabe is also regarded as a dependable team player who can provide leadership

Shane O'Brien (NSH), another physical player who will stand up for his teammates and clean up in front of the net

Milan Jurcina (NYI), big defensive dman with a long wingspan who can block shots

James Wisniewski (NYI), he is my personal favorite dman who may become available at the deadline. A hard-nosed dman who can also chip in offensively. What is there not to like?

Chris Phillips (OTT), if the Sens are on the outside looking in, Bryan Murray will likely move this veteran leader. He'd be another steady presence on the blueline much like Scuderi.

Eric Brewer (STL), he is finally healthy and playing and in the final year of his contract. The mobile blueliner showed tons of promise early in his career, representing Canada in the Olympics while he was a member of the Oilers.

Joni Pitkanen (CAR), finesse defenseman who could help the PP unit and transition game for the Kings, but I think the team would be better served acquiring a steadier and more physical player for a playoff run

Ian White (CAR), another smooth skating offensive dman who broke out last season. He is still fairly young and can still improve in his overall game

Craig Rivet (BUF), he's a player I'm quite fond of, he was a great pickup by SJ a few years back and I think he's the exact type of player the Kings could use

Steve Montador (BUF), he's been a bit of a late bloomer, coming into the league as a tough guy who would be used on the fourth line or as a 7th dman, but he's turned into a regular roster player that can drop the gloves and also chip in with some points

Anton Babchuk (CGY), has a booming slapshot, but is prone to mental lapses

Steve Staios (CGY), the 37 year old vet is winding down, not sure if his body can hold up much longer to the physical abuse he is likely to face during a playoff series
Do you really think NYI will let go of Wisniewski? He's young and very good. Why wouldn't they try to lock him up?

Old
12-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Do you really think NYI will let go of Wisniewski? He's young and very good. Why wouldn't they try to lock him up?
Because they are the Islanders

Old
12-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Shellz

Would Kings fans take Kesler over Kopitar?

Old
12-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:

Not if they're Kings fans, no.

Old
12-23-2010, 02:20 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:

No way.

Old
12-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post

No way.
Okay good. This isn't a rumor or anything. I just didn't know where to put it. I was just reading the main board about Kesler and how some people think we would take Kesler over Kopitar or that Kesler would the Kings number center for the team with Kopitar second.

Last edited by Shellz: 12-23-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Old
12-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:
Okay good. This isn't a rumor or anything. I just didn't know where to put it. I was just reading the main board about Kesler and how some people think we would take Kesler over Kopitar and that Kesler would the Kings number center for the team with Kopitar second.

There's your problem. The main board is full of fruit cakes.

If we can't sign Richards during the off-season (and that's assuming he'd take an amount equal to or less than what we're paying Kopitar, 'cuz he ain't gettin' more than Kopi!), then DL should try to trade for Jordan Staal. He's been injured this whole time. Does Pittsburgh really need him? Really?

Old
12-23-2010, 02:40 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Okay good. This isn't a rumor or anything. I just didn't know where to put it. I was just reading the main board about Kesler and how some people think we would take Kesler over Kopitar and that Kesler would the Kings number center for the team with Kopitar second.
Kesler would not be a #1 center ahead of Kopitar. Kesler gets to face weaker opponents because he has Sedin on his team. Fans are too quick to label their #2 centers as #1's because they fail to realize that their #1 center gets the top defensive units. Kopitar has to deal with other teams best, which is why scoring depth is so important in a cap world.

This is why the Kings needs to hang on to Doughty and Johnson for as long as possible, hopefully Dought and Johnson take modest discounts to stay with the Kings long term. Having multiple #1s in your lineup can be very expensive, at any position.

Malkin is probably the only #1 center in the NHL that plays as a #2 center.

Old
12-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Capn Brown

Quote:

These are the guys I'd look to target the most. Maybe a deadline deal for Jurcina & Moulson? What's the most we'd lose? Teubert and a 1st?

Closed Thread