HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Official Rumor Thread--Kings Rumor Mill IX

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-22-2010, 03:50 PM
  #226
scramble91
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
i don't believe anyone has actually said for sure. Pretty sure its his knee.
I read somehwere that he was seen with a large brace on his knee over his clothes. I just cant remember where i read it ..lol

Could be a nasty sprain...cuz if it was anything else, he probably would have went back for surgery.

scramble91 is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 03:50 PM
  #227
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
nothelen tweeted that Mitchell had a knee brace on, so it must be his shoulder.

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 03:53 PM
  #228
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Gentle Ben Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 19,018
vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
nothelen tweeted that Mitchell had a knee brace on, so it must be his shoulder.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 04:01 PM
  #229
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,882
vCash: 500
Teams tend to add depth at the deadline, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the Kings add another NHL vet to their blueline in place of a less experienced player.

You look at the trade deadline of last season and see how many teams went after veteran defensemen:
  • Sharks acquired Wallin from Carolina for a 2nd
  • Flames acquired Staios from Edmonton for Aaron Johnson and a 3rd
  • Canucks acquired Alberts from Carolina for a 3rd
  • Capitals acquired Jurcina from Columbus for a 6th
  • Coyotes acquired Schneider from Vancouver for Sean Zimmerman and a 6th
  • Ducks acquired Ward from Carolina for Pogge and a 4th
  • Devils acquired Skoula from Toronto for a 5th
  • Coyotes acquired Morris from Boston for a conditional pick
  • Blackhawks acquired Boynton from Anaheim for future considerations
  • Senators acquired Sutton from NY Islanders for a 2nd
  • Predators acquired Grebeshkov from Edmonton for a 2nd
  • Penguins acquired Leopold from Florida for a 2nd

The Kings have enough depth to move a player like Drewiske for a short term solution.

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
12-22-2010, 04:29 PM
  #230
Cook24
Registered User
 
Cook24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Chino, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,016
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Cook24
If DL does go after a veteran defenseman soon or at the trade deadline, it'll be for someone who's contract will be up this summer. We have too many young defenseman who will be ready soon to add someone with multiple years left on a deal. Hickey, Voynov, or Muzzin will all be ready for a spot come the start of next season.

Cook24 is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 05:25 PM
  #231
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater
 
Ziggy Stardust's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 30,882
vCash: 500
Some temporary solutions that may become available who have expiring contracts:

Jan Hejda (CBJ), solid stay-at-home defenseman

Jim Vandermeer (EDM), physical defender who can provide some toughness

Bryan McCabe (FLA), although mainly considered an offensive defenseman, McCabe is also regarded as a dependable team player who can provide leadership

Shane O'Brien (NSH), another physical player who will stand up for his teammates and clean up in front of the net

Milan Jurcina (NYI), big defensive dman with a long wingspan who can block shots

James Wisniewski (NYI), he is my personal favorite dman who may become available at the deadline. A hard-nosed dman who can also chip in offensively. What is there not to like?

Chris Phillips (OTT), if the Sens are on the outside looking in, Bryan Murray will likely move this veteran leader. He'd be another steady presence on the blueline much like Scuderi.

Eric Brewer (STL), he is finally healthy and playing and in the final year of his contract. The mobile blueliner showed tons of promise early in his career, representing Canada in the Olympics while he was a member of the Oilers.

Tomas Kaberle (TOR), his reluctance to waive his no-trade clause makes it difficult for Brian Burke to move him, but who knows if he might change his mind and reconsider closer to the deadline. If he decides to waive his clause, Kaberle will be the most coveted dman on the market. He's a smooth player who makes everything looks easy, much like the way Sergei Zubov played

Joni Pitkanen (CAR), finesse defenseman who could help the PP unit and transition game for the Kings, but I think the team would be better served acquiring a steadier and more physical player for a playoff run

Ian White (CAR), another smooth skating offensive dman who broke out last season. He is still fairly young and can still improve in his overall game

Craig Rivet (BUF), he's a player I'm quite fond of, he was a great pickup by SJ a few years back and I think he's the exact type of player the Kings could use

Steve Montador (BUF), he's been a bit of a late bloomer, coming into the league as a tough guy who would be used on the fourth line or as a 7th dman, but he's turned into a regular roster player that can drop the gloves and also chip in with some points

Anton Babchuk (CGY), has a booming slapshot, but is prone to mental lapses

Steve Staios (CGY), the 37 year old vet is winding down, not sure if his body can hold up much longer to the physical abuse he is likely to face during a playoff series

Ziggy Stardust is online now  
Old
12-22-2010, 06:25 PM
  #232
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Tomas Kaberle (TOR), his reluctance to waive his no-trade clause makes it difficult for Brian Burke to move him, but who knows if he might change his mind and reconsider closer to the deadline. If he decides to waive his clause, Kaberle will be the most coveted dman on the market. He's a smooth player who makes everything looks easy, much like the way Sergei Zubov played
The problem with this one is that Burke thinks he can get a young top 6 forward for him.

I don't see Burke taking a guy like Drewiske and a pick for Kaberle, someone else will overpay for him.

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 06:42 PM
  #233
Johnny Utah
Registered User
 
Johnny Utah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Santa Monica, CA
Posts: 6,917
vCash: 500
Kaberele is Burke's best assest for some scoring help.

Also, we don't need another offensive guy, we need a stay at home guy. You know your D has problems when Drewiske is your toughest D man with Greene/Mitchell out.

Johnny Utah is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 06:55 PM
  #234
Live in the Now
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Live in the Now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: LA
Country: United States
Posts: 30,880
vCash: 50
Of that list I think Hejda and Phillips are the best fits for our team.

Live in the Now is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 08:04 PM
  #235
Primakov!
Registered User
 
Primakov!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Yesteryear
Posts: 1,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBam1031 View Post
Isn't Carkner the guy that pulled the net off before we (Simmonds?) scored a goal?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
I think that was Neil.
No, that was Matt Carkner.

Quote:
With only 44 seconds left, Carkner saved a goal. With Simmonds outside the crease and the puck on his stick, Carkner knocked the net off its pegs. The net was unsecured by the time the puck went in. The Kings had good reason to feel like they were robbed. The non-goal was held up after review and Carkner also escaped without a penalty.
Link

Primakov! is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 08:05 PM
  #236
Shellz
Registered User
 
Shellz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 17,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primakov! View Post
No, that was Matt Carkner.



Link
Thanks. Hmm. I wonder where I got Neil from.

Shellz is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 08:14 PM
  #237
JDM
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 9,968
vCash: 500
Hejda.

JDM is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 09:07 PM
  #238
KingLB
Registered User
 
KingLB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 7,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Teams tend to add depth at the deadline, so it wouldn't surprise me to see the Kings add another NHL vet to their blueline in place of a less experienced player.

You look at the trade deadline of last season and see how many teams went after veteran defensemen:
  • Sharks acquired Wallin from Carolina for a 2nd
  • Flames acquired Staios from Edmonton for Aaron Johnson and a 3rd
  • Canucks acquired Alberts from Carolina for a 3rd
  • Capitals acquired Jurcina from Columbus for a 6th
  • Coyotes acquired Schneider from Vancouver for Sean Zimmerman and a 6th
  • Ducks acquired Ward from Carolina for Pogge and a 4th
  • Devils acquired Skoula from Toronto for a 5th
  • Coyotes acquired Morris from Boston for a conditional pick
  • Blackhawks acquired Boynton from Anaheim for future considerations
  • Senators acquired Sutton from NY Islanders for a 2nd
  • Predators acquired Grebeshkov from Edmonton for a 2nd
  • Penguins acquired Leopold from Florida for a 2nd

The Kings have enough depth to move a player like Drewiske for a short term solution.
I wouldn't touch any of those D with a 10-foot pole....that said this years potential list is a little better, though the chance of the good ones being moved is gonna be slimmer then some has beens or never was from last place teams.

KingLB is offline  
Old
12-22-2010, 09:55 PM
  #239
etherialone
dialed in your mom
 
etherialone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: The Ether
Country: United Nations
Posts: 12,990
vCash: 500
If DL is looking to add a D he is doing it in closed quarters. He sure isn't shaking the bushes. Maybe he has a specific player in mind and is dealing with one team and one GM or something.

Of course it would have to be a rental as you know that we won't look to fill any spot on our D for next year without being able to leave at least one spot open.

I wouldn't say that the WM "experiment" isn't working out either. I would say that WM is having a bad run of luck due to injuries but none of them yet have had anything to do with his concussion. The experiment was can WM still be effective and play his style of game after his concussion and the answer is yes.

His other injuries have nothing to do with his concussion so the experiment to date has been a success.

Now is WM a fragile player? So far its an easy yes but I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater jut yet.

etherialone is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 12:25 AM
  #240
Jungle Boy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Recife, Brazil
Country: Brazil
Posts: 1,061
vCash: 500
I would use two of those three: drewiske, voynov (remember that he said if he was not in the nhl after his 1st contract expires he would go back to russia) and Parse to trade for Elias or Langebrunner and a UFA to be dman (even a devil to make things easier).
Don´t like the idea of signing richards when we have schenn an loki ready to fight for that same spot. for the same reason would not bring more than 3 FA fwds (counting handzus, jw, poni, sturm or Langebrunner) to make room for Moller, Lewis... And sign them to short terns contracts. Then in 2012 when the new cba is set and there are some interestings UFA (nash) make the big splash


Last edited by Jungle Boy: 12-23-2010 at 12:33 AM. Reason: typo
Jungle Boy is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 12:43 AM
  #241
Jungle Boy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Recife, Brazil
Country: Brazil
Posts: 1,061
vCash: 500
forgot to metion that, IMÓ Toronto will go hard after Richards. They are the youngest team in the league and They are not as bad as They see in the standings. Adding richards would make toronto a playoff team in the same time. burke will make it happen since he has will have a ton of cap space once They deal karbele.

Jungle Boy is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 11:26 AM
  #242
no name
Registered User
 
no name's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Tornado Alley
Posts: 11,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Some temporary solutions that may become available who have expiring contracts:

Jan Hejda (CBJ), solid stay-at-home defenseman

Jim Vandermeer (EDM), physical defender who can provide some toughness

Bryan McCabe (FLA), although mainly considered an offensive defenseman, McCabe is also regarded as a dependable team player who can provide leadership

Shane O'Brien (NSH), another physical player who will stand up for his teammates and clean up in front of the net

Milan Jurcina (NYI), big defensive dman with a long wingspan who can block shots

James Wisniewski (NYI), he is my personal favorite dman who may become available at the deadline. A hard-nosed dman who can also chip in offensively. What is there not to like?

Chris Phillips (OTT), if the Sens are on the outside looking in, Bryan Murray will likely move this veteran leader. He'd be another steady presence on the blueline much like Scuderi.

Eric Brewer (STL), he is finally healthy and playing and in the final year of his contract. The mobile blueliner showed tons of promise early in his career, representing Canada in the Olympics while he was a member of the Oilers.

Tomas Kaberle (TOR), his reluctance to waive his no-trade clause makes it difficult for Brian Burke to move him, but who knows if he might change his mind and reconsider closer to the deadline. If he decides to waive his clause, Kaberle will be the most coveted dman on the market. He's a smooth player who makes everything looks easy, much like the way Sergei Zubov played

Joni Pitkanen (CAR), finesse defenseman who could help the PP unit and transition game for the Kings, but I think the team would be better served acquiring a steadier and more physical player for a playoff run

Ian White (CAR), another smooth skating offensive dman who broke out last season. He is still fairly young and can still improve in his overall game

Craig Rivet (BUF), he's a player I'm quite fond of, he was a great pickup by SJ a few years back and I think he's the exact type of player the Kings could use

Steve Montador (BUF), he's been a bit of a late bloomer, coming into the league as a tough guy who would be used on the fourth line or as a 7th dman, but he's turned into a regular roster player that can drop the gloves and also chip in with some points

Anton Babchuk (CGY), has a booming slapshot, but is prone to mental lapses

Steve Staios (CGY), the 37 year old vet is winding down, not sure if his body can hold up much longer to the physical abuse he is likely to face during a playoff series
Do you really think NYI will let go of Wisniewski? He's young and very good. Why wouldn't they try to lock him up?

no name is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 11:38 AM
  #243
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......
 
Gentle Ben Kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 19,018
vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by no name View Post
Do you really think NYI will let go of Wisniewski? He's young and very good. Why wouldn't they try to lock him up?
Because they are the Islanders

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 02:07 PM
  #244
Shellz
Registered User
 
Shellz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 17,311
vCash: 500
Would Kings fans take Kesler over Kopitar?

Shellz is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 02:07 PM
  #245
Capn Brown
Registered User
 
Capn Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Would Kings fans take Kesler over Kopitar?

Not if they're Kings fans, no.

Capn Brown is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 02:20 PM
  #246
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Would Kings fans take Kesler over Kopitar?


No way.

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 02:32 PM
  #247
Shellz
Registered User
 
Shellz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: California
Posts: 17,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post


No way.
Okay good. This isn't a rumor or anything. I just didn't know where to put it. I was just reading the main board about Kesler and how some people think we would take Kesler over Kopitar or that Kesler would the Kings number center for the team with Kopitar second.


Last edited by Shellz: 12-23-2010 at 02:39 PM.
Shellz is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 02:40 PM
  #248
Capn Brown
Registered User
 
Capn Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Okay good. This isn't a rumor or anything. I just didn't know where to put it. I was just reading the main board about Kesler and how some people think we would take Kesler over Kopitar and that Kesler would the Kings number center for the team with Kopitar second.

There's your problem. The main board is full of fruit cakes.

If we can't sign Richards during the off-season (and that's assuming he'd take an amount equal to or less than what we're paying Kopitar, 'cuz he ain't gettin' more than Kopi!), then DL should try to trade for Jordan Staal. He's been injured this whole time. Does Pittsburgh really need him? Really?

Capn Brown is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 02:40 PM
  #249
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,828
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
Okay good. This isn't a rumor or anything. I just didn't know where to put it. I was just reading the main board about Kesler and how some people think we would take Kesler over Kopitar and that Kesler would the Kings number center for the team with Kopitar second.
Kesler would not be a #1 center ahead of Kopitar. Kesler gets to face weaker opponents because he has Sedin on his team. Fans are too quick to label their #2 centers as #1's because they fail to realize that their #1 center gets the top defensive units. Kopitar has to deal with other teams best, which is why scoring depth is so important in a cap world.

This is why the Kings needs to hang on to Doughty and Johnson for as long as possible, hopefully Dought and Johnson take modest discounts to stay with the Kings long term. Having multiple #1s in your lineup can be very expensive, at any position.

Malkin is probably the only #1 center in the NHL that plays as a #2 center.

Sydor25 is offline  
Old
12-23-2010, 02:44 PM
  #250
Capn Brown
Registered User
 
Capn Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,493
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post

Milan Jurcina (NYI), big defensive dman with a long wingspan who can block shots

James Wisniewski (NYI), he is my personal favorite dman who may become available at the deadline. A hard-nosed dman who can also chip in offensively. What is there not to like?



Craig Rivet (BUF), he's a player I'm quite fond of, he was a great pickup by SJ a few years back and I think he's the exact type of player the Kings could use

Steve Montador (BUF), he's been a bit of a late bloomer, coming into the league as a tough guy who would be used on the fourth line or as a 7th dman, but he's turned into a regular roster player that can drop the gloves and also chip in with some points

These are the guys I'd look to target the most. Maybe a deadline deal for Jurcina & Moulson? What's the most we'd lose? Teubert and a 1st?

Capn Brown is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.