HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Falcons to hold press conference tomorrow

Old
12-21-2010, 08:23 PM
adsfan

vCash: 500
So Springfield is moving to Springfield? I am glad that you get to keep your team.

adsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-21-2010, 10:16 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsfan View Post
So Springfield is moving to Springfield? I am glad that you get to keep your team.
Now is that the Springfield the Simpson's are from?

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 09:21 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumblick View Post
You're using 20-20 hindsight. Both Tampa and Phoenix had histories of bad affiliations which continued after they left Springfield. In each case, dumping them was the right decision at the time.
Yes, it did continue, but look at them now. But giving a team 1 or 2 years to build a winning AHL franchise is not long enough, which is all the Falcons gave both the Coyotes and Lightning.

That said I'm not sure if you can say one way or the other if dumping them was right or not. If they didn't dump one or the other, they'd be in a better position today than they are now.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 10:54 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Now is that the Springfield the Simpson's are from?
Vermont holds that title...

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:31 AM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Yes, it did continue, but look at them now.
That's the dictionary definition of "20-20 hindsight".

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 11:47 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
That's the dictionary definition of "20-20 hindsight".
Yes, it is. However you are saying that they made the right decision to dump both teams and I don't know how you can say that.

I would say that they did not given that they didn't give either organization enough of a window of opportunity to build a team. In both cases the Falcons were starting from scratch as neither Phoenix nor Tampa had their own affiliates before that affiliation. I believe in both cases the Falcons made the decision to end affiliations in the middle of the second seasons. Is a season and a half enough time to determine if a parent club will be a good one or not when both were starting from scratch?

But, look where they are now. They signed a deal with Edmonton when even Stevie Wonder could see that ultimately the Oilers would activate their franchise at some point and now they are affiliated with the Blue Jackets who Syracuse kicked out of town.

Old
12-22-2010, 12:53 PM
Rumblick

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
Yes, it is. However you are saying that they made the right decision to dump both teams and I don't know how you can say that.
I'll never figure out why you choose to drop words to help your point.

Quote:
In each case, dumping them was the right decision at the time.

If you look at the situations at the time, given the histories involved, the teams & players provided, and the relationships between the parent and affiliates, the decisions were not only correct at the times, they were easy calls.

Rumblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2010, 01:21 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:

If you look at the situations at the time, given the histories involved, the teams & players provided, and the relationships between the parent and affiliates, the decisions were not only correct at the times, they were easy calls.
We'll just have to agree to disagree and your bolding, resizing and use of colors isn't going to make me agree with you.

I don't think that giving a team a year and a half is enough to make that determination. Besides what message does it send potential parent clubs if you aren't willing to give them more than one season?

Not to mention by changing affiliations like underwear, it creates absolutely no continuity or player recognition for your fans. Perhaps, among other things, the Falcons declining attendance has something to do with not being able to identify with any of the players since they have had 4 different parent clubs in just over 10 years.

Old
12-23-2010, 12:42 PM
pelts35.com

I would be curious to know how long the new ownership group extended the lease with the MassMutual Center? Perhaps that would be a telling sign of how long Pompea is willing to wait to see if attendance/revenues improve before relocating the team?

Old
12-23-2010, 03:00 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
I'll never figure out why you choose to drop words to help your point.

it's just like Florida and Rochester right now, will they or won't they be together past THIS season, despite the calls for the Americans to go it alone....

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote