HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Wearing visors

Old
12-23-2010, 01:10 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Wearing visors

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...evels-off.html

Visor wearing has "plateaued" at 59% (same as last season). But way up from the original 15% survey done circa 1998.

Players still want a choice.

Mod note: Let's keep this thread focused on the health/safety of the player and possible CBA mandating (grandfathered in).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 01:35 PM
GreatCanadian

Personal opinion: I think they should implement a rule for visors and grandfather it in. This gives the current batch of players the option to use one, but every new player would have to use one.

I think it does not matter that much for junior players anyway... the CHL, NCAA, IIHF U-20 all made visors mandatory and really 99% of them have never played any other way.

GreatCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 01:47 PM
MAROONSRoad
f/k/a Ghost

Totally disagree. It should be up to the players. Society is becoming one huge "nanny state" as the Brits say. And players who fight should man up and take their damn visors off before hand.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the BOH unless there is some insurance or marketing angle.

GHOST

MAROONSRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 01:59 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
Personal opinion: I think they should implement a rule for visors and grandfather it in. This gives the current batch of players the option to use one, but every new player would have to use one.

I think it does not matter that much for junior players anyway... the CHL, NCAA, IIHF U-20 all made visors mandatory and really 99% of them have never played any other way.
Totally agree. Visors are required at every level of hockey EXCEPT the NHL.........

I do not think it is a big enough issue for the NHL to try to put it into the unless someone gets hurt again, close to when the CBA is being negotiated, where a visor would have protected them

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 02:48 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTofMAROONSroad View Post
Totally disagree. It should be up to the players. Society is becoming one huge "nanny state" as the Brits say. And players who fight should man up and take their damn visors off before hand.

I'm not sure what this has to do with the BOH unless there is some insurance or marketing angle.

GHOST
While we're at it they should repel the helmet rule. I miss seeing the players hair flowing behind them as they skated liek lafleur

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 03:19 PM
AllByDesign
Who's this ABD guy??

I agree with the sentiments in regards to the points made about creating a 'Nanny State'. It should always be personal choice. Philosophy hasn't sculpted legislature in a long while, so I anticipate there being a mandatory visor regulation coming down the pipe by CBA time.

A 'grandfathering' may in fact be a part of that, as was the case with helmets. The AHL has mandated visors and it seems to work. Face protection has been a way of life for most players through their developmental years. It won't be as big of a deal as the helmet issue was.

In most trade Unions, protection for the employee was always what was fought for. It is a little ironic that the NHLPA has been on the 'against' side of the visor debate.

AllByDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 04:20 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Unless they're required by the insurance company, leave it up to the players.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 04:20 PM
vippe

Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post

I agree with this.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2010, 04:45 PM
GreatCanadian

Thing is, beer league players for example, should have a choice. They have influence over no one. It doesn't matter that much.

NHL players, on the other hand, set an example for younger kids playing the game since they are part of the world's premiere hockey league. If they are unnecessarily putting their face/eyes/whatever at risk just cause they want to look "tough", that makes an effect on younger players and simply creates pointless eye injuries because of it.

GreatCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote