HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kings vs. Oilers - 12/23/10 - POSTGAME THOUGHTS & TIDBITS

Old
12-24-2010, 01:29 AM
two out of three*

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
When you win in shootouts.. Shootouts are exciting and good for the game.

When you lose.. "That is no way to ever lose a hockey game."

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 01:31 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Not going to complain about the win, but I wish we'd see a killer instinct out of this team that we saw from them in Detroit and Colorado. I guess the team sometimes plays down to the level of the opponents. For a team expected to contend for a division championship, the Kings eventually have to decisively win games against non-playoff teams.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 01:31 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
When you win in shootouts.. Shootouts are exciting and good for the game.

When you lose.. "That is no way to ever lose a hockey game."
how bout shootouts are exciting and are no way to ever win or lose a game...

sweatypickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 01:33 AM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
how bout shootouts are exciting and are no way to ever win or lose a game...
I can agree with that. But shootouts are a part of the game now and I enjoy them for what they are.

two out of three* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 01:39 AM
Mr Irreverent
Misunderstood

Kings looked gassed, but it was great to get the 2 points. The Oilers are loaded with young game breakers, it's ****ing scary where they'll be in 3-4 years.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 01:40 AM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Hope the fourth line stays the same against the quacks.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 01:46 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
Like I said earlier, Lewis didn't play well, I think Westy's in vs the ****s

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 01:47 AM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruel11 View Post
no chance Murray keeps Westgarth out...

sweatypickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 01:49 AM
FrozenKing18
Top Drawer!

we got lucky on the Stoll's goal on the shootout.

2 points!

FrozenKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 01:52 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Have to also mention, Penner looked impressive for the Oilers, creating chances and showing some good puck control in tight spaces. Could the Kings give Smyth his swan song and return him to the city in which he belongs?

Old
12-24-2010, 01:54 AM
Cruel11
Son, just don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatypickle View Post
no chance Murray keeps Westgarth out...
I know. It was just nice playing all 4 lines.

Cruel11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 02:01 AM
Chruceg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Not going to complain about the win, but I wish we'd see a killer instinct out of this team that we saw from them in Detroit and Colorado. I guess the team sometimes plays down to the level of the opponents. For a team expected to contend for a division championship, the Kings eventually have to decisively win games against non-playoff teams.
I completely agree with you. I just wanted to say that I think the lack of a killer instinct against weaker teams is symptomatic of a young team. There are no easy wins in the NHL. It's hard to accept. Hell, there are no easy wins in my beer league and I still go into some games thinking I can coast ... and I'm 30.

Chruceg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 02:11 AM
LombardiTool

Quote:
4th game in 6 nights which included travel from Nashville to Chicago to Colorado to LA. 3-1 in that period. A night like tonight happens in circumstances like this.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 02:13 AM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmondsFan View Post
4th game in 6 nights which included travel from Nashville to Chicago to Colorado to LA. 3-1 in that period. A night like tonight happens in circumstances like this.
We shall see, every team goes through those types of stretches. We've also seen the Kings play sluggishly after extended breaks.

Old
12-24-2010, 02:26 AM
DIEHARD the King fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Kings win with a sloppy effort tonight. Kings were very scrambly in their own zone tonight.

I don't mind Edmonton getting the loser point. Kings finally gain a point on Dallas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Live in the Now View Post
Stole those points.
I was literally getting sick to my stomach watching the Keystone Kings out there doing the best impersonation of a chineese fire drill with the ATROCIOUS passing and puck control the whole night. How many more passes can Cap'n Canada fumble away before we find a way to make him Cap'n Cand? We were not good on the puck even into the third. JQ may have given Hall a weak goal, but our 2nd was pretty similar. Besides, on Hall's goal Doughty over-commited in front of the blue line and gave him the opening to the outside.

Although some on this board are happy for the 2pts, as am I, watching this team play like they did in Colorado and like they did tonight just a few nights later is mind boggling. But I will give the Oil credit as I will to their coach. We were well scouted as the points had pressure on them the whole night, and Edmonton's team speed gave them the ability to pressure the puck, causing us to make poor passes and be rushed, causing puck loss. They will get better and Tom Renney appears to have rounded a corner with the team. Overall, a frustrating game which we barely won as the Stoll puck dribbled across the goal line. With as far as Dubnyk comes out, the deke to the 5-hole is the move to make. Than goodness I was not the only one to notice that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellz View Post
I honestly don't think the Kings played that badly. The Oilers just had no business winning tonight
Funny, I thought they out hustled us the whole night and were the more physical team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
... Edmonton played a great game tonight, but the Kings still played well enough to beat them. If not for the soft goal allowed to Hall, the Kings had a regulation win. Quick did well in the shootout to redeem himself, though.

Ponikarovsky and Brown were tremendous on the forecheck, opening up space for their linemates when they did.

The Kings directed 66 shots at the Oiler net tonight, while the Oilers directed just 50 at the Kings' net - gives a bit of an idea who was controlling the play, and where. The big difference was that Edmonton had 22 blocked shots, an outstanding total.

The effort was certainly not lacking for the Kings, they just went up against an aggressive and better-skating (though erratic) opponent, who gave them a tough game.
By the same token, if not for the soft Stoll S.O. goal, we might not have won at all. We were outskated and outplayed. WE could not establish control in our zone but for a few short bursts, our passing was piss poor and the speed and pressure they placed on our players, particularly at the points gives a good blueprint to other more skilled teams on how to play us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Kings deserved this win. We are a much more dynamic team than the Oilers. However our team passing was garbage all night and against better opponents that wouldn't fly.

**** Peckham. First time I wanted to see Westgarth all season was after his third cheap shot on Williams in as many shifts. What a burly *******. He brutalizes us and was the oilers defense.
The passing, and how we handled (or didnt) their pressure is the reason I thought we didnt to deserve to win. I thought this was a game the S.O. stole for us.

Re: Peckham. He is a beast, and this was a game Westy could have given us more than Lewis did, hindsight being what it is.

Quote:
I alluded to this in the pre-game posts. Looked liek to entirely different teams playing between this game and last. I havent seen the interviews but I would bet that candidly TM wasnt happy with the execution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chruceg View Post
I completely agree with you. I just wanted to say that I think the lack of a killer instinct against weaker teams is symptomatic of a young team. There are no easy wins in the NHL. It's hard to accept. Hell, there are no easy wins in my beer league and I still go into some games thinking I can coast ... and I'm 30.
Could be as to the Kings. But we were playing a young team too.

There is not coasting in the over-40 league I play in. Not with the likes of Blake, Harpo, Kompon, Barhona and other former high-level players playing, and I'm significantly over 30!

Last edited by DIEHARD the King fan: 12-24-2010 at 02:31 AM.
DIEHARD the King fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 02:42 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 50
You guys have a good, well rounded team with lots of character players. You need some elite talent up front though. Without that, it will be very hard for you to make it past teams like Detroit and Vancouver, nevermind Philly or Pittsburgh.

Do you guys think Schenn would be available at all for something that could help you now? Or is he completely off the table?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 03:15 AM
outofrange

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
You guys have a good, well rounded team with lots of character players. You need some elite talent up front though. Without that, it will be very hard for you to make it past teams like Detroit and Vancouver, nevermind Philly or Pittsburgh.

Do you guys think Schenn would be available at all for something that could help you now? Or is he completely off the table?
The team didn't look too good today until that third period but they just came back from a five game road trip where they won 5-0 over Colorado (highest scoring team that hadn't been blanked out all season), 5-0 over Detroit, and snapped Nashville's six game win streak. They did that while missing Mitchy (who has been a rock) and Greener. This team can score by committee when everybody is healthy and get the job done.

I do think that they need another gamebreaking winger or another 1B center to really flesh it all out. Maybe a Semin or Richards if we are lucky.... (and if you guys take Smyth off our hands in the offseason.....)

Schenn isn't going to make this roster until next season. He doesn't have a spot right now and if we don't re-sign Zues, then he can be the third line center next season.

outofrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 03:39 AM
DryIslandBartender
KCCO

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post

Scbenn is off the table, I would like to see what Sturm can do first with that first line, and if he is serviceable then we need a legit centre to shore up that second line and move Stoll to the third line.

DryIslandBartender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 04:51 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Frozen Royalty Audio: Still Road-Weary LA Kings Slip Past Oilers In 3-2 Shootout Win

Frozen Royalty Audio: Still Road-Weary LA Kings Slip Past Oilers In 3-2 Shootout Win

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 04:58 AM
Orenji

Schenn would only be up for an elite 70+ point left winger at the deadline. That's the only kind of trade that could probably involve him.

Lombardi pretty much has Kopitar/Schenn/Loktionov as our three top centers for the next ten years.

Orenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 07:02 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Decent win, the Oilers are a fun team to watch.

What the hell was with that too many men penalty? Yeah, the guy coming off was a little more than 5 feet from the bench, but they were no where near the play and had absolutely no effect on anything. That didn't need to be called.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 09:22 AM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimmondsFan View Post

Yep. And the first home game after a road trip.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 09:24 AM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
Decent win, the Oilers are a fun team to watch.

What the hell was with that too many men penalty? Yeah, the guy coming off was a little more than 5 feet from the bench, but they were no where near the play and had absolutely no effect on anything. That didn't need to be called.
Yeah, that was nuts. The play was at the Oilers' blueline, the guy coming off was at the Kings' blueline, and the guy coming on was on the other side of the redline. Needed binoculars to see that.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 10:51 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

I knew the Kings would win after seeing "the look"....

The head-bobbing was just a bonus.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 11:10 AM
mbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by two out of three View Post
I can agree with that. But shootouts are a part of the game now and I enjoy them for what they are.
Shootouts would be easier to accept if the point system was more in line with what a shootout win actually means (i.e., it shouldn't mean the same as winning a game in regulation). 3 points win, 2 points shootout win 1 point shootout loss and 0 points for a real loss. Problems solved.

mbar is online now   Reply With Quote