HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Eminger

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
12-24-2010, 10:32 AM
  #1
bar down*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saratoga Springs
Country: United States
Posts: 387
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bar down*
Steve Eminger

Thoughts on his play so far this season?

bar down* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 10:37 AM
  #2
fiedy88
Registered User
 
fiedy88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Branchburg, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bar down View Post
Thoughts on his play so far this season?
i've liked him, really didn't have much to say about him at the start of the season, but i can't recall him making an awful play or pass like both roszival and girardi made last night, also sauer making that horrific clear to the front in ottawa. i got no problem with eminger, he was gunning to hit everyone last night, taking over for what Callahan can't do right now.

fiedy88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 10:41 AM
  #3
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,781
vCash: 500
I've been pleasantly surprised with his play so far. I thought he was one of our better defensemen last night. I wouldn't mind if he spends some time on the second pairing while DZ gets his act together.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 10:41 AM
  #4
bar down*
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Saratoga Springs
Country: United States
Posts: 387
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to bar down*
Yeah man, i was going to say that he hasn't really been brought up that much here on the boards. As a D man not being brought up seems to be a good thing

bar down* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 11:01 AM
  #5
Cmox
Registered User
 
Cmox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Queens,NY
Posts: 4,257
vCash: 500
He's been hitting like a beast. I approve.

Cmox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 11:04 AM
  #6
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,060
vCash: 500
IMO Eminger has been our most consistent defenseman after his horrendous start.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 11:06 AM
  #7
asparkoflife
Registered User
 
asparkoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Patterson, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,446
vCash: 500
Dude's been solid as a rock. Im a fan.

asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 11:10 AM
  #8
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prusted View Post
Dude's been solid as a rock. Im a fan.
i'm rather surprised with his play but I guess he was a top pick and was dealt for a 2nd not to long ago. For Voros it's a steal.............I would bring him back as a 7th D next yr only though. But 700K or so he would be solid.

McD or Vtank needs a spot in the top 6 next yr. I move Rozy for cap space and bump Sauer up

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 11:28 AM
  #9
bobbop
Henrik's Pop
 
bobbop's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Suburban Phoenix
Country: United States
Posts: 4,842
vCash: 500
Defensemen often develop late. This may be a textbook case. Nice effort after a slow start. It could be he's found his place as a bottom pair guy.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 11:31 AM
  #10
Nemchinov13
Registered User
 
Nemchinov13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Gravesend
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,726
vCash: 500
Eminger, along with Sauer, has been a revelation this season. He hasn't made bad decisions this month. That's as much as you can ask from a defenseman.

Nemchinov13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 11:43 AM
  #11
TheRedressor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United Nations
Posts: 3,722
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
i'm rather surprised with his play but I guess he was a top pick and was dealt for a 2nd not to long ago. For Voros it's a steal.............I would bring him back as a 7th D next yr only though. But 700K or so he would be solid.

McD or Vtank needs a spot in the top 6 next yr. I move Rozy for cap space and bump Sauer up
Actually dealt for a 1st!

TheRedressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 11:46 AM
  #12
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
IMO Eminger has been our most consistent defenseman after his horrendous start.
During camp I must have been the only one around here who was seeing what the coaches saw. If anyone cares to really take a look at preseason footage, even though his plus/minus was not great, he was the only Dman not named Staal or Girardi that was hitting and playing physical in the crease. In the 8-5 loss to Ottawa he was -1, but tough as nails in his own zone, I knew Torts was lovin it. Meanwhile people here were calling him the worst Dman in the league.

And I remember being a fan of his during that 2002 draft year(we traded our pick for Bure, what a great deal, kept us from getting Alex Semin). He's very mobile, getting him for Voros, a guy who does nothing right, is a steal.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 12:00 PM
  #13
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
During camp I must have been the only one around here who was seeing what the coaches saw. If anyone cares to really take a look at preseason footage, even though his plus/minus was not great, he was the only Dman not named Staal or Girardi that was hitting and playing physical in the crease. In the 8-5 loss to Ottawa he was -1, but tough as nails in his own zone, I knew Torts was lovin it. Meanwhile people here were calling him the worst Dman in the league.

And I remember being a fan of his during that 2002 draft year(we traded our pick for Bure, what a great deal, kept us from getting Alex Semin). He's very mobile, getting him for Voros, a guy who does nothing right, is a steal.
Oh the trade is definitely a fleecing. And in preseason, and the first few games of the season when the entire team was playing like trash, his actual defense did not look nearly as solid as it did now. He was constantly going out of position to hit and blowing coverage. He seems to have learned he can still hit hard while actually playing defense. IIRC last night he smashed Hedman and knocked the puck loose.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 12:03 PM
  #14
ocarina
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,417
vCash: 500
Happily surprised with his play. I was dissapointed when we got him, as the only positive thing I heard was his decent low shot. Didn't think he'd be this physical, I heard he was as soft as they came.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 12:04 PM
  #15
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Oh the trade is definitely a fleecing. And in preseason, and the first few games of the season when the entire team was playing like trash, his actual defense did not look nearly as solid as it did now. He was constantly going out of position to hit and blowing coverage. He seems to have learned he can still hit hard while actually playing defense. IIRC last night he smashed Hedman and knocked the puck loose.
You mean it took time for a new guy to find his footing?? You don't say??

Patience. Does anyone seem top have patience anymore?

I blame the internet/electronic gadget generation, no patience and no attention span, hope they don't kill me texting while driving.......

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 12:05 PM
  #16
Vitto79
Registered User
 
Vitto79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRedressor View Post
Actually dealt for a 1st!
holy crap yea it was a late 1st if i remember. What were they smoking?,lol...............let's give the guy credit though. We were all worried about the 3 rd pairing and they have been a pleasant surprise.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 12:07 PM
  #17
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 19,060
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
You mean it took time for a new guy to find his footing?? You don't say??

Patience. Does anyone seem top have patience anymore?

I blame the internet/electronic gadget generation, no patience and no attention span, hope they don't kill me texting while driving.......
When you've never been able to consistently stick with a team, it's pretty safe to say if you look as bad as he did he won't stick.

But he did.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 12:10 PM
  #18
msv957
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 2,051
vCash: 500
Eminger is a solid NHL defenseman that can fill in a play top 4 pairing minutes and not look out of place or he can play top 6 pairing minutes and do quite well.

There was a reason he was a high first round pick. He has good size, real good skater and has some grit to his game.

Having Eminger as a bottom pairing defenseman just shows how deep and talented this Ranger defense really is.

msv957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 12:14 PM
  #19
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,931
vCash: 500
I was actually going to give him a thread about whether or not he has found a home in NY at last.

He and Sauer have played to a level where the possibility of dealing Rozy in the offseason becomes much less of a death sentance for our D corps.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 12:20 PM
  #20
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke
 
Bluenote13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: BKLYN, NYC
Posts: 23,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
When you've never been able to consistently stick with a team, it's pretty safe to say if you look as bad as he did he won't stick.

But he did.
He was only 26 coming into this camp. And he wasn't gonna be a 20 minute a game Dman, he's a very serviceable 5th or 6th cause you can stick him in all situations.

Again, you can't really look at just the negatives, which I admit were there. But that 3rd period against Ottawa, he was a beast, I can't believe NO ONE on this board even mentioned it. But Torts was loving it, then meanwhile the next day everyone was saying that he was gonna be cut or sent down.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 12:24 PM
  #21
NYRangers77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 167
vCash: 500
Lol didnt think I would be saying this when we got him but he has been very solid, physical and is not making many mistakes this season.

NYRangers77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 12:30 PM
  #22
Janerixon
Registered User
 
Janerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 3,730
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I was actually going to give him a thread about whether or not he has found a home in NY at last.

He and Sauer have played to a level where the possibility of dealing Rozy in the offseason becomes much less of a death sentance for our D corps.
Eminger has defintely found a home, he will get a pay increase but not nothing insane and he will probably want to stay here.

I expect Gilroy to be moved before the end of the season as he will not be brought back next season and I can't imagine he would want to come back, especially for a pay cut. Rozy could very well be moved this off-season, I would love to try and deal him for Tyutin and a mid pick.

Staal-Eminger
Tyutin-Girardi
Del Zotto-Sauer

that would be a pretty nice defense to have to start next season, Eminger will be getting top 4 minutes, but the Tyutin-Girardi pair should be going up against teams top lines

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 12:32 PM
  #23
manifesty
Registered User
 
manifesty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I was actually going to give him a thread about whether or not he has found a home in NY at last.

He and Sauer have played to a level where the possibility of dealing Rozy in the offseason becomes much less of a death sentance for our D corps.
someone's going to take on rozy's contract?

i agree with what's been said though, definitely done a pretty solid job on D.

manifesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 12:33 PM
  #24
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,896
vCash: 500
Washington took John Carlson with the #1 pick acquired for Steve Eminger. Mike Sullivan coached Eminger in TB. Torts was already gone when Eminger played for TB. Sullivan recommended the Rangers acquire Eminger who can both sides as a righty shot.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 12:34 PM
  #25
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,987
vCash: 500
All of this while playing on his opposite side.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:43 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.