HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Steve Eminger

Old
12-24-2010, 11:44 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I was actually going to give him a thread about whether or not he has found a home in NY at last.

He and Sauer have played to a level where the possibility of dealing Rozy in the offseason becomes much less of a death sentance for our D corps.
If he keeps up his play, i'd be very happy if we keep him as a bottom pairing, or even second pairing guy, until guys like Kundratek and McD are ready to taste the NHL. If this team wants Brad Richards Rosy is getting moved and I don't think it will have that huge an impact on our d-corp when it's all said and done.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Washington took John Carlson with the #1 pick acquired for Steve Eminger. Mike Sullivan coached Eminger in TB. Torts was already gone when Eminger played for TB. Sullivan recommended the Rangers acquire Eminger who can both sides as a righty shot.
And that time with TB was his most productive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
All of this while playing on his opposite side.
Versatility on the backline is never a bad thing.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
If he keeps up his play, i'd be very happy if we keep him as a bottom pairing, or even second pairing guy, until guys like Kundratek and McD are ready to taste the NHL. If this team wants Brad Richards Rosy is getting moved and I don't think it will have that huge an impact on our d-corp when it's all said and done.
ill take Eminger over Rozsival all day

having said that i wouldnt mind if Eminger is resigned to a 2 year deal. we can use some vet leadership for the younger d like kundratek valenteko mcd and niemi if they make it.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 11:51 AM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
ill take Eminger over Rozsival all day

having said that i wouldnt mind if Eminger is resigned to a 2 year deal. we can use some vet leadership for the younger d like kundratek valenteko mcd and niemi if they make it.
Eminger is only a few years older than those guys, if you want a veteran that can show them the ropes, Rosy is your guy, ironically.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 01:31 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
He's found consistency in his game, which sounds to me like it was one of his biggest weaknesses coming into New York. He plays top 4 minutes and plays against good opposition. I think he'll do it for the rest of the year, too.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutations View Post
someone's going to take on rozy's contract?

i agree with what's been said though, definitely done a pretty solid job on D.
We have teams in the league with low finances, low budgets, so that when the cap floor raises again next season a guy like Rozy, who they will only have to pay 3 million cash but will have a cap hit of 5 mil, will be a real commodity to a team like Dallas or NYI or CBJ.

And one bad turnover is not a reason for the whole fanbase to start hating on a guy again, btw

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 06:34 PM
Janerixon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
We have teams in the league with low finances, low budgets, so that when the cap floor raises again next season a guy like Rozy, who they will only have to pay 3 million cash but will have a cap hit of 5 mil, will be a real commodity to a team like Dallas or NYI or CBJ.

And one bad turnover is not a reason for the whole fanbase to start hating on a guy again, btw
I agree with Fitzy, Rozy has a love hate relationship in NY, I think a change could probably benefit him greatly. The fans are very fast to get on him here, but no one ever remembers anything good he has done. Last night's turnover was inexcusable, but Rozy also scored a double overtime winner that I sat through about 6 hours of hockey to see. I just think in a place like Columbus, where there is a lot less pressure his offensive game could come back, or i could see him with San Jose or LA if they wanted a veteran d-man for a stretch run.

Janerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 06:57 PM
Swedish Fish
The Future

We killed him early, and with good reason, but I've had no problem with him as of late, physical d-man that don't make many mistakes are always welcome, for the right price of course

Swedish Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 07:22 PM
qwertyaas
LGR@

After getting him for Voros, most of us wrote him off during pre-season. He has been a nice surprise though.

See, sometimes we don't always know what's best... After thinking Torts was crazy for playing him over Sauer/Gilroy/McD/Vtank.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 07:49 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

What's Eminger contract?

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 08:14 PM
dynamoovechkin

Count me as one of early detractors who has completely changed his tune. I thought he was a depth signing, a journeyman D that no one wanted. Super pleasantly surprised!

Physical D man who plays well positionally and doesn't get caught running around in his own zone. Average skater but with a good first pass. I don't feel like he has overachieved, just played up to his potential in the right role on the team.

Good for Tort's for getting the most out of this guy. He's the back line version of Fedotenko. Good for him.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 08:49 PM
turcotte8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Scores View Post
What's Eminger contract?
1,125,000 - UFA after this year.

turcotte8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 08:52 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
We got him for Voros somehow, and he's been a key player throughout the year so far. I hated him the first few weeks, but he's settled down after being paired with Sauer. Maybe he can be Rosi's stop-gap if we trade him in the offseason.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 09:21 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

He's certainly been better in the last few weeks. Waaaaaaaaaaay better. Solid bottom pair D-man if he can keep up this level of play.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2010, 09:44 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

You guys think if he keeps this up, should we sign him for another year or two?

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 03:01 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

i didn't know much about eminger prior to his acquisition, and that which i thought i knew i was wrong.

#1 he's way more physical than i assumed.

#2 he hardly ever turns the puck over. and i don't just mean with his passing. he's suprisingly strong on the puck in his own zone, and doesn't lose battles along the boards once he has possession.

#3 he's way more positionally sound than i would've figured for a guy that's bounced around so much. that always seems to be the reason teams give up on d-men, and he just doesn't get caught up ice, or in no-man's-land in his own zone.

#4 his skating is balanced well with his physical play.

he doesn't have much of a first pass, nor does he facilitate the offense well enough regularly to be on the PP, so he definitely isn't a top 4 guy. but he's about as good as a 5/6 as there is in the league right now, and that's saying a lot.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 03:19 AM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

I was pro-Eminger when we acquired him. Well, I was maybe way more optimistic than most saying how he did well in Tampa and might be able to find his game again with Sullivan but he sure took his time proving me right! Although he is showing a solid defensive game beyond what I thought he had in him instead of the 2 way game that I thought was more his style but I am ok with that. Consistency on our blue-line has been much too rare over the last 10 years.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 04:42 AM
racer90

eminger has been playing much better.
i think hes worked his way up to somewhere between 4 or 5 dman.

he's especially gotten better... playing from the side...

racer90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 06:05 AM
Ola

A very talented D who always been able to make high caliber plays. I know the caps was really impressed when they got him in the draft. But he have always struggled at putting it all together.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 07:38 AM
eco's bones

He had a very rocky start.

All in all it was a very good trade but he's best used as a bottom pairing guy. He's played physical but he's not that big or strong where I'd feel comfortable giving him top 4 minutes. He's either holding back on his offensive instincts to concentrate on his own end or it's just not there. I'd look at two numbers--people don't like +/- much but he's our only minus defenseman at -4 and he has only 10 shots on goal meaning unlike the other d-men he's not that involved in the attack. As a comparison Sauer is more likely to try to find seams in the opponents end of the ice than Eminger.

Would I sign Eminger up again?--he's been good enough where I'd say possibly. He's making about the right amount of salary though. I don't see him as a core player.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 08:48 AM
qwertyaas
LGR@

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
A very talented D who always been able to make high caliber plays. I know the caps was really impressed when they got him in the draft. But he have always struggled at putting it all together.
Looks like he's starting to do so. Hopefully it's not a fluke and he actually is progressing.

I wonder if he will be resigned.

qwertyaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-25-2010, 10:23 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Our coaching staff has done a fine job improving some aspects of his game. He was constantly putting himself out of position early in the season by being over-aggressive. He's toned back his physical play some, but he's been a hell of a lot more reliable.

He's really a solid skater. If he can utilize his speed, he can add another dimension to our blue-line.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 01:18 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
I think he's played well so far. Certainly not bad at all for a bottom pair D and much better value the Voros.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-26-2010, 01:28 AM
17futurecap

Got him for the human punching bag, and as a 3rd pair guy he has really been great. Nice job Glenn.

17futurecap is offline   Reply With Quote